Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Bette Davis Eyes

WendyCR72

Airing on February 8, 2021:

Mark is forced to prosecute his childhood icon, Samara Strong, an '80s Hollywood star accused of murdering her husband 30 years ago. It's a showdown between him and celebrity lawyer Adam Pryce, who makes a mockery of the courthouse. To make matters worse, Judge Laski is presiding over cases in 802 while Lola is on maternity leave.

Mark is forced to prosecute his childhood icon, Samara Strong, an '80s Hollywood star accused of murdering her husband 30 years ago; Judge Laski is presiding over cases while Lola is on maternity leave.

Air date: February 8, 2021

I did like the episode and I am glad both Lanski and Lola put the young clerk (Rachel?) in her place. I feel alot of times she is overstepping herself.

I figured that the mom did it early on and that the only witness was the daughter.  I thought there might have been a premeditative motive but I guess not.

Lanski has some nerve hanging the stag head and taking down Uhura (no one touches Uhura!).  Glad Mark stole it in the end.

• Love 5

As usual, people don't know how to use their words.  If she had said, 'the daughter has a long history of substance abuse,  this technique might trigger a relapse' instead of some vague 'i did some (unasked for) research.  overall, i thought the writing was kind of all over the place.  and i am done with emily.  trying to hold onto a client who can afford an attorney because 'she really cares about him'... just get over yourself already

• Love 8

I didn't see the very beginning of the episode. Was there any explanation for that pink and black outfit that Emily was wearing? To court?

I know it's LA, but that seemed a little, uh, festive.

And don't get me started with Ness (again!). Just when it seemed like she was learning some professionalism and decorum in her job (since it seems she didn't get it at Harvard or any of her previous internships)  she's back to mouthing off to her superiors. 

#MakeItMakeSense

• Love 10

I know they wanted us to see Laski in the wrong here but I thought he was mostly in the right this episode. The one time I thought he was wrong was with Shari and his "you should know what I want" deal. 

But moving into Lola's office when his office was being redecorated?  I can see why it'd feel invasive but there probably aren't a ton of open office spaces he can move into in the court room.  As long as he was out by the time she got back and everything was put back where it was...eh. I don't think it was egregious. 

Given Mark's profession as a district attorney, I didn't find his theft of the stag head to be cute; I found it to be larceny. I hope we find out he somehow returns it later.

He embarrassed Sarah in court?  No.  She embarrassed herself in court.  She's a longtime professional and she doesn't know that she can't be having her phone go off in a courtroom? I get that it was a mistake but a courtroom isn't your run-of-the-mill business meeting.  The expectations are higher.

Don't even get me started on Ness.  At least they didn't imply that she was in the right.

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, TVForever said:

I didn't see the very beginning of the episode. Was there any explanation for that pink and black outfit that Emily was wearing? To court?

I know it's LA, but that seemed a little, uh, festive.

And don't get me started with Ness (again!). Just when it seemed like she was learning some professionalism and decorum in her job (since it seems she didn't get it at Harvard or any of her previous internships)  she's back to mouthing off to her superiors. 

#MakeItMakeSense

Even my husband thought what Emily was wearing was an odd choice  to wear in court. To me it looked like a pajama top. 

Emily hasn’t bugged me as much as she has other posters but I found her insufferable in this episode.

• Love 7

Oh gawd, Emily's outfit was horrific and not at all appropriate for court.  It reminded me of poorly fitted lingerie.  Like the black triangles were intended to cover and contain her boobs, but there were problems at the factory and the straps were too short so it kept riding up.  It really bugged me, more than wardrobe on a TV show should.  I can shake my head at some of the choices (Samantha in particular) but Emily's blouse went far beyond that, it kept distracting me.  Maybe the wardrobe department spends all their excellence and attention to detail on Lola's and Sherri's clothes.

Judge Laski seems to be an abrupt and abrasive asshole, but I didn't think he was completely out of line.  Except for his rudeness--particularly to Sherri--he was just going about the business of the court in a rather brusque manner.  Sara and Ness were both unprofessional, and deserved rebuke.  Laski is such an abrupt and now-now-now guy that his rebukes seemed unnecessarily harsh.  But he also strikes me as someone who is one-and-done and doesn't really hold a grudge.  He'll remember if there is a pattern though, which is different than a grudge, and treat that person accordingly.  Laski's an interesting character, and I like his personal interactions with Lola.  I don't like his taste in wall art though.  But the action figure he tried to replace Uhura with seemed quirky and fun.  I want to see more of action figure Laski, and less of dead animal Laski.

He sure runs a snappy courtroom though.  I wonder if that bit with Sara missing a bunch of the fast moving court proceedings due to her phone shenanigans and emotional pause to process her humiliation will come back later.  Perhaps a critical detail missing from the record causing a mistrial or appeal?

The actress who played the daughter was amazing.  She really sold the upset and breakdown during the cognitive interview, and the emotions during her testimony rang true.  All of those scenes could have been ruined by a poor performance, and she brought her A-game.  Was it just me, or did anyone else catch a spark between Ness and the daughter?  I half expected the episode to end with the two of them clinking champagne glasses while sharing a bubble bath.

I'm liking Choi more and more with each episode.  You think he's a hardass, then he gives a little twinkle and does the unexpected.  I do like most of these characters, other than Emily who appears to only be capable of intensity, they all seem to be nuanced and come with layers and interesting facets and are in no way one-dimensional.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Oh gawd, Emily's outfit was horrific and not at all appropriate for court.  It reminded me of poorly fitted lingerie.  Like the black triangles were intended to cover and contain her boobs, but there were problems at the factory and the straps were too short so it kept riding up.

The camisole she wore under her jacket was ... a camisole, and if it was not sold as straight-up lingerie, then it was lingerie-inspired enough that I would not wear it to court. (The actress has beautiful hair.) 

I also thought she was wearing a completely different outfit on what I thought was the same day - everything Emily happened on her birthday, right? Hence the call from her new guy (who ... what is the point?) and then the cake from Luke that night? (Sarah's "OK, girl" face when she walked in and Luke was there was great.)

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I also thought she was wearing a completely different outfit on what I thought was the same day - everything Emily happened on her birthday, right? Hence the call from her new guy (who ... what is the point?) and then the cake from Luke that night? (Sarah's "OK, girl" face when she walked in and Luke was there was great.)

That confused me too. I was thinking at first that she wasn't planning to appear in a courtroom that day so she showed up in the pink thing to look a little nice for her birthday - but it wasn't really appropriate workplace attire either way? And then what seemed like two wardrobe changes in the course of that same day - from the pink to a different top and then she was in a red dress when Luke showed up with the cake. It didn't make sense. 

Edited by TOWTooMuchTV
extra word
  • Love 6

What the hell was Emily wearing? It looked like pajamas with lingerie showing, like it was a very special date night, not a day in court. She looked really good, but not really something I would wear to work. I am assuming that she ran home and changed when someone asked if it was pajama day and that's why she was wearing another outfit. I really don't get Emily's plot this week, so she was overworked and then got upset with her client when he got money to hire someone who could give him more time? Is this because of her insisting on no more plea deals? Is that still a thing? 

I felt so sorry for the daughter, her actress did an amazing job. I hope that at least now she can move forward now that she knows the truth, as terrible as the truth is, especially as its implied that a lot of her issues with addiction are rooted in this repressed trauma for seeing her mom murder her dad. I also liked the tie in with Marks dad coming back again, although, as his dad said, at least he never killed anyone. Have we ever heard where Mark's mom is? Did I forget? It sounds like his dad was the only parent he had in his life, as negligent as his dad was. 

Just when I thought Ness was starting to actually learn about professionalism, she goes back to her bull in a china shop approach to working with judges. When is she going to learn that you really cant yell at your boss and people higher in the work chain and act like you always know better? It seems like a problem with Lanski and Lola's squad working together so far is that no one is really looking to give an inch, especially Lola's girl squad. Its clear that Lanski is VERY different from Lola is pretty much every way, and that's one of the reasons he and Lola started off on the wrong foot, but later on they came to understand and respect each other more, and did actually learn from each other and have established a better working relationship, despite their disagreements. Really, most of what Lanski did this week wasn't even that bad. He was way too snappy a few times and was rather abrasive in general, but other things, like telling Ness to stop inserting herself into his case or telling Sherri to turn her phone off, seemed pretty reasonable. I mean, even Lola probably would have given Sara a rebuke (albeit a nicer one) and the idea that Ness so hated was Lola's anyway. 

Luke either needs to just quit being a prosecutor and join the defense, or he needs to actually learn what restorative justice is. His endless hand wringing about prosecuting anyone is just getting ridiculous, especially this week, getting clearly fleeced out of his own money. What does he expect, to pay for everyone's legal fees? Does he a trust fund we aren't aware of? Paying people and guilting victims of crimes into forgiving their attackers isn't what restorative justice is at all. Hopefully now that Choi is going to be working with him he can find a better way to do this. Or, again, realize that this job isn't for him if he is always on the defendants side and not the prosecution and the people he is representing.  

Baby Bailey is just so cute!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Driad said:

Please don't blow out birthday candles if other people might want to eat the cake!

My mind went there as well. "uh you going to share that now with Luke after you blew the candles??"

What we need to bring back are candle snuffers. You make a wish and try to snuff them out as quickly as possible!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Is it even legal, not to mention ethical, for a prosecutor to pay a fine for a defendant?  That seems like a huge conflict of interest there.  That bailiff was probably trying to stifle a laugh when the defendant reeled Luke in like a 3 pound trout.

Emily isn't much better at this than Luke.  PDs are so overworked, I would think she would be glad to have a client switch to a paid attorney.  Better rep, more resources, but instead she's all upset that he's leaving her.

Cognitive interviews are a real thing, as I read up on it.  However, the process is far more detailed than just "Take two deep breaths, and tell me what you saw that night."

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Is it even legal, not to mention ethical, for a prosecutor to pay a fine for a defendant?  That seems like a huge conflict of interest there.  That bailiff was probably trying to stifle a laugh when the defendant reeled Luke in like a 3 pound trout.

It was so painfully obvious where that was going, you could imagine Luke buying that guy a new car by the end of the episode all in the name of his savior complex. Is having a massive savior complex to the point that you cant do your job, become massively insufferable, and might be doing something illegal due to the aforementioned savior complex contagious? Because I think he caught that from being around Emily too much, even after their breakup. 

Speaking of Emily and breakups, why did she act like her client getting a new lawyer was like getting dumped by her new boyfriend?

• Love 8

Couple of thoughts:

Jack Bauer's evil brother. Can't un-see it every time I see Lasky.

Re: the Lola Legion: My old boss told me long ago "maturity in business is being able to work effectively with people you may not like much"

• Love 4
On 2/10/2021 at 6:39 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Emily isn't much better at this than Luke.  PDs are so overworked, I would think she would be glad to have a client switch to a paid attorney.  Better rep, more resources, but instead she's all upset that he's leaving her.

That’s it with Emily though - EVERYTHING is an argument. No matter what anyone does she’ll still get pissed. She’s mad on behalf of her clients so won’t look at or take any plea deals. She’s then mad because she’s overworked in court as a result of not looking at or taking any plea deals. She’s then mad because one client might move on to an attorney that isn’t overworked and can give him the time he needs. 

She is exhausting. Everything is just so intense and dramatic.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 10

I feel Emily’s style has changed between season one and two. It’s like they decided to highlight how stunning the actress is and want to glam her up whereas last season her style was more disheveled. I thought the season one style suited the character better. 

I didn’t think Lasky was that pig headed last season or maybe he was but her and Lola still got along?

What was the point of making Amy a regular? She had more screen time as recurring. She never has any cases anymore and her screen time further diminished because Mark only ever confides in Lola.

Was the actress playing Kelsey the daughter from 8 Simple Things? 

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 4
On 2/10/2021 at 9:24 PM, torqy said:

Jack Bauer's evil brother. Can't un-see it every time I see Lasky.

I still see him in FAME, even after almost 40 years.

On 2/13/2021 at 4:52 PM, Jillybean said:

Emily actually wore three different outfits in this episode even though it took place over a single workday. We could not figure that one out!

There you go, it must have been lingerie for which she had a matching jacket until she had a chance to change.

• Love 2