Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Homesick

jewel21
  • Start Topic

We got a bit of a tour of the town in this episode and it was neat to see how close together everything is. They also left the giant Ladysmith Trading Company sign as is (which is fair enough because it would be a bitch to move). However they scrubbed the swastikas off of the Traveller's Hotel, which are visible on the Historical Register here: https://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=6317

This is the clinic, at the corner of First Avenue and Roberts St:
image.png.e69084d16b282ef39e6aad75f682edec.png

The bar across the street was a coffee shop the last time I checked. This is also pretty much where Harry was standing when he almost got hit by a car and it was the hill the kid was supposed to have his bike accident on.

I would post more pictures but there is a size limit for what I can include in one message.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

A little of the kid goes a very very long way.   Don't make me root for the Harry Alien to kill him. 

Also, I'm finding all the long haired brunette women on this show too similar - granted I've got some problems with my facial recognition software, but a little variation would help. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

A little of the kid goes a very very long way.   Don't make me root for the Harry Alien to kill him. 

I'm already rooting for that.  There's got to be a way to have kid's dialog where he doesn't sound like a snarky, mini adult.  

4 hours ago, bigmag said:

Now this episode was hilarious!  I laughed out loud a number of times.  Finding it's groove a bit, I think.

Me, too.  I was so-so on the pilot last week, and watched this with some trepidation.  But yeah, I was laughing out loud.  Will definitely keep watching. 

• Love 1

I don't think they will be minimizing the kid character, they've sort of made him a major plot point. I think at some point they're going to have to become friends or at least allies in some way because that's the only other direction they can go in. I got a kick out of Harry doing the child voice and pretending to be a schoolmate named Elvis.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

Also, I'm finding all the long haired brunette women on this show too similar - granted I've got some problems with my facial recognition software, but a little variation would help. 

17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think they will be minimizing the kid character, they've sort of made him a major plot point. I think at some point they're going to have to become friends or at least allies in some way because that's the only other direction they can go in. I got a kick out of Harry doing the child voice and pretending to be a schoolmate named Elvis.

I watched the pilot & this episode today, and I'm not sure about the show -- I don't like that it starts with the main character killing the doctor in the first few minutes, but I think the kid and the alien are hilarious. I love that for all the alien think he's the smartest thing on Earth, the kid has been besting him at every turn.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The little kid has been bothering me since I realized he looks like a tiny Alison Pill.

Some things I find very funny, others make me kind of bored.

I really enjoy all the scenes with D'arcy in them.

Of course Officer Liv has a crush on "Ancient Aliens" guy with the crazy hair "Giorgio Tsoukalos ". She has watched every episode and can spot an alien a mile away.

Is it bad that I think Asta is a bad person, her fake dad is all kinds of wonderful and yet she runs away at 16 to marry a jerk. I can not see why she liked her boss Doctor so much. That scene, was Asta returning his prescription pad to his desk, she could make some money on the side while getting him arrested. I wonder if that is what got him killed.

I like that the show's cast is very small, I don't need to start remembering tons of people in town.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode more. This isn't normally the type of show I watch, and I only am because I'm moderating the forum, but I'm starting to enjoy it. 

I laughed at the flashback scene of Harry learning how to use his body. And I'm enjoying his interactions with the little kid. I also laughed at his fantasies of the kid dying and how they all ended with the kid's shoe landing in front of the shot, heh. 

• Love 8

I think my favorite line was the reference to the young, handsome Jerry Orbach.  Love the L&O call backs.  I appreciate the humor, but have to agree that it is hard to remember which good looking young dark haired woman is which character (I can tell them apart, just don't remember who they are). 

I'm sure this is the kind of show that has all kinds of little details I miss, so I appreciate forums like this.

I enjoyed the pilot, but I think I liked this one even more, you can see the show really finding its grove. The aliens narration is really funny, especially as he keeps ruminating on how much smarter he is then all of the humans, while he is constantly getting bested by a precocious child. 

The flashbacks to Harry trying to move his body around was hysterical. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Some things I find very funny, others make me kind of bored.

That's how I am with it, too.  I thought last week's episode was better, but this one did have some good parts.  Harry talking to Max on the phone was hilarious.  

I like that they're incorporating Asta's heritage and customs into the series.  It took me a minute to see why she was cutting off her hair and burning the scrubs, but it's also a natural ritual for her character and I'm glad they're not making a huge deal of it.

Nice that D'arcy and the girl from the bowling alley are friends who just get on each other's nerves, rather than actual enemies.

How long had that poor guy (selfie guy) been levitating in the woods?  He was already a skeleton by the time he was found.  Was the area that deserted?

I'm going to have to suspend any thought of reality when it comes to the medical stuff in this show.  If Harry really is the only doctor, he would be busy around the clock, no 9-5 hours.  And the scene with him stitching up Max wasn't funny at all, I just found it unsettling.  Poor Max, getting poked incessantly just to prove a point.  Not to mention that the kid actually needed stitches and really didn't get any.

• Love 1

I howled at Harry learning to use his human body!  Alan Tudyk is really a hoot.  I also had to laugh at almond milk bit.  And the cow.  So much funny in this one.

Except for the poor guy who'd been levitating above the device for the past four months.  Plus all the dead birds and other things that got caught in the force field or whatever it was.  That was just creepy in a way that was even worse to me than the quick killing of the doctor in the pilot.  (That part of the pilot ep just reminded me of Men In Black.)

I don't think the kid and the alien are ever going to be allies.

I’m enjoying this, but I’m afraid to comment too much since I watched episodes 2 and 3 at the same time and I’m not sure what was in which. Is nobody else seeing episode 3? At this point there’s not a thread for it. 

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m enjoying this, but I’m afraid to comment too much since I watched episodes 2 and 3 at the same time and I’m not sure what was in which. Is nobody else seeing episode 3? At this point there’s not a thread for it. 

OK, here is the way to see episode 3, we should make an entry for it ASAP. 

GOOD NEWS, HUMANS! EPISODE 3 OF 'RESIDENT ALIEN' TO STREAM FOR FREE BEFORE ITS TV AIRDATE

It is on SYFY website, Cable VOD (didn't see on Spectrum, available on AT&T), youtube (looked, didn't see it), OneApp, Apple TV (saw there), and Roku (looked, didn't see it).

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have seen episode 3 as well but since my copy fell off the back of a truck I assumed it has not aired yet.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I have seen episode 3 as well but since my copy fell off the back of a truck I assumed it has not aired yet.

Hmmm, I didn't need to chase any trucks.  I didn't watch ep2 when it aired, but the next day, the SyFy app on my Firestick had eps 1, 2, & 3.  I also learned that I can get them on the NBC app, which is included on my smartTV.  I didn't start a thread, since I didn't totally remember what happened in which one.

UO, but I love the little kid and his rivalry with our alien. Normally I find child actors to be an acquired taste, but once it became apparent he can give Harry a run for his money, it totally works. The stitching scene with Harry's exponentially increasing frustration was hilarious!

Holy shit, I cringed over and over again at the pelvic exam! Loved that the patient was so laid back (no pun intended) and even posed for the selfie. Also enjoy her sniping friendship with Darcy.

Alan Tudyk is super. I only know him from various voice acting jobs (Harley Quinn, ex.) and his role as Pastor Veal in Arrested Development.

This show reminds me so much of People of Earth, which I adored (and also starred Alice Wetterlund), so I'm definitely in.

• Love 7

What I love about this show is the way it mixes comedy, drama, mystery, etc., with science fiction as a framing device; usually the "alien" parts are more of an antagonist than the guy who, you know, is trying to exterminate humanity.  It's ironic that this combination, and some amazing acting, makes it one of the most "real" shows on television. 

The whole bit at the bowling alley was hilarious, and knew to stop before it stopped being funny or incredible.  I thought it would have Harry bowl a 300 game (and complications ensuing), but they went another way.  Well done, writers.

And yes, Alan Tudyk should just get a lifetime achievement Emmy now, to save time.  And thanks, AnimeMania. that link worked to get a week ahead. 

• Love 2

I wasn't so sure about this show with the pilot, but I enjoyed this episode more than the pilot. The interaction with the kid getting stitches was hilarious

Are Asta and her adoptive dad Native American or something else? It's possible I missed some dialogue if it was said

2 hours ago, DanaK said:

I wasn't so sure about this show with the pilot, but I enjoyed this episode more than the pilot. The interaction with the kid getting stitches was hilarious

Are Asta and her adoptive dad Native American or something else? It's possible I missed some dialogue if it was said

I've watched beyond episode 2 but, yeah, I don't think it's a spoiler to say they're Native American.

And you've only watched two?  I definitely recommend you stick with it.  IMO it gets better each episode.  This is one of the few shows that my family (different generations/tastes) looks forward to watching together.  (The other is Ted Lasso, fwiw.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1