Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E11: Quevos; Brumachen; Aura Bora; Swipensnap

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Sharks: Mark, Daniel Lubetzky, Kevin, Lori, Robert

Entrepreneurs from Chicago, Illinois, pitch their "egg-citing" take on a traditional snack food. An immigrant from Ghana and a social media star from Indianapolis, Indiana, bring new meaning to taking coffee on the go with their single-serve all-in-one portable product. A beverage line made from real herbs, fruits, and flowers. A patented design that makes taking care of newborns easier.

I found this episode kind of boring.      

The Quevos people were nice, and seem to have a good product, and I'm sure Daniel will be a great partner for them.  However, I hate egg whites, and would never be a customer.   

I loved the story behind the Brumachen inventor, but I don't know if they even got a deal.  The deal between the inventor and the influencer was different.    It was way too early in the process.   I also think the price point is a bit high, but maybe they can get that down.     They came on too early, and need to contact a shark when their product is actually for sale, and has a decent supply chain. 

Aura Bora, a cactus drink?  If I got that right.    Robert will be a good partner, but the drink sector is so over crowded.   

Swipensnap.    That seller made me wince.    She can skip the single mother, all alone stuff too, I'm sick of sob stories.   Just pitch the product. I'm not even sure if she got a deal, but I don't see her product as unique, and I think it will be knocked off quickly if it really is a better idea.    Apparently, (thanks to other posters) Lori and Kevin made a deal with her.   I can see Daniel's point, I bet that cap device will work with a lot of different applications, and that might be the gold mine to the idea. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Quevos people were nice, and seem to have a good product, and I'm sure Daniel will be a great partner for them.

I loved the story behind the Brumachen inventor, but I don't know if they even got a deal.  The deal between the inventor and the influencer was different.    It was way too early in the process.   

Aura Bora, a cactus drink?  If I got that right.    Robert will be a good partner, but the drink sector is so over crowded.   

Swipensnap.    That seller made me wince.    She can skip the single mother, all alone stuff too, I'm sick of sob stories.   Just pitch the product. I'm not even sure if she got a deal, but I don't see her product as unique, and I think it will be knocked off quickly if it really is a better idea.   

Ditto!  I felt the same about each pitch/product.
The drink combo flavors sounded horrible, but I have a very unsophisticated palette.  I hate herbs/florals in my drinks, bubbly or alcoholic.

The Quevos could be a big, new idea, but egg whites gross me out, so even if they were the tastiest chips on earth, I would need to never know what they were made of to try them.

I really liked the coffee guy. Not so much his “influencer” side kick guy. I think his coffee gadget could be a thing but it needs to be cheaper.  Definitely interested in biodegradable pods though!

Diaper cream applicator fairy...ugh. I am not wowed by any of these “better” baby  gadgets these inventors (and baby gadget companies) come up with.  I had a baby 14 years ago, my mom had me 44 years ago.  Other than disposable diapers, car seats, and a few safety items, I think today there are so many products that parents could skip buying, and still manage to raise a baby into childhood. 

• Love 3

I was disappointed in Daniel of all people wanting to take 100% of the rights to the really unique part of that woman’s invention. Anyway, I kept expecting someone to mention having to sterilize the butt creme attachment after every use. I mean, wouldn’t it have to be?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I was disappointed in Daniel of all people wanting to take 100% of the rights to the really unique part of that woman’s invention. Anyway, I kept expecting someone to mention having to sterilize the butt creme attachment after every use. I mean, wouldn’t it have to be?

This!   Glad Lori dumped him and joined with Kevin to provide a fair alternative.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 7

I might try the quevos snacks.  Sound pretty good I like eggs.  Wife hated them though

Those drinks sounded absolutely disgusting in flavor. And it's a brutal market.  Pass

The last one the invention is good I just don't see the point of it for diaper cream. For other things, sure.  I was surprised too he wanted 100 percent of the patent for other things.  Rip off.  Glad she passed and took the other deal. 

I thought the single serve coffee idea was a good one even though I don't drink coffee.  I just thought the influencer guy with him was a giant arrogant douche.  

• Love 5

Yeah, but it was SMART because the patent for the twin connectors is the nugget of gold amidst all the fairy dust.

I totally remember the egg white chips winning a local food invention contest here in Chicago.  I wish them a lot of luck.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I don't necessarily think so. One cleans off a baby's bottom thoroughly before rediapering. Granted, I don't have children (thank god), and I've changed only a handful of diapers in my life (again, thank god). I do think the cream nozzle would get gunked up pretty quickly though.

It seemed not sanitary to me. Baby wipes are all super sensitive and gentle on the skin and whatnot. I don't think they disinfect. Even if I'm totally wrong and the method her product uses is totally sanitary, I think she'd have the problem that many potential customers would think the same I do and therefore want nothing to do with it. If her pitch is an "it's so easy it solves a problem you think you have" product, it cannot require education.

• Love 3

If the coffee maker has to be plugged in, can it really be used anywhere and everywhere?

Don't like eggs, wouldn't try the chips. I occasionally try sparkling water but what really puts me off is the odd aftertaste tang. This happens across brands. I've found mixing 50/50 the flavored water with 'water' flavor and it seems to cut it. Don't see trying any Aura Bora but I do like the name. And I applaud Svetlana for getting her family out of Soviet Russia but boy, does it look like she had a lot of work done on her face.

• Love 1

Did the coffee guy really say that there was nothing to bridge the gap between making coffee at home and having to buy it while out? Uh, has he never heard of a thermos? You know, the thing construction workers have used to bring hot coffee with them to a job site for 100+ years? 🙄 What a useless product, I don’t see the point at all. And his “influencer” (🙄🙄) partner (who I have never heard of) seemed like a huge douchebro.

Egg chips looked like they could be good, I would try a bag but they don’t seem to be sold anywhere near me and no way would I buy an overpriced box of them + shipping online.

I also had the thought re: the baby applicator that wouldn’t it have to be cleaned each time? You wipe that thing directly onto the baby’s butt and then put it back into the bottle? Eww gross.

Fizzy water drinks, eh. That’s a product I would have to try in store before ever buying. Another product where there are already a billion other varieties already out there, this one didn’t seem anything different or special. 

• Love 5
On 1/22/2021 at 7:04 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

We didn't see anything new: 

Another coffee alternative.

Another snack chip alternative.

Another water alternative.

Another mother who thought she had revolutionized childcare.

These people need exposure and partners because they are trying to break into already crowded spaces with nothing that is all that great. How many of the past products we've seen in these categories are thriving now?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Can someone explain to me the reason the sharks always express hatred for the beverages . From what I gather , there’s too many beverages already out there in the stores , but can’t the same be said for anything in the food / snack market ? But the sharks don’t say anything about that . Unless I’m missing another reason ? 

• Love 1

I think it's because the beverage aisle is full of all kinds of choices, and many of the pitches the Sharks get are expensive, and may not be good to sit on the shelf for a while.    The two major companies have dumped a lot of selections this year, so getting a new beverage in stores will be a problem.    Another point, there are Pepsi, and Coke plants all over, but the pitchers of the new ones won't have access to that infrastructure either. 

On 1/23/2021 at 12:53 AM, LittleIggy said:

I was really shocked by that.  Basically, he can throw her and her baby cream under the bus at that point, and license the double-screw attachment to any Tom, Dick, and Harry and reap 100% of the benefits.  Not KIND Daniel!  Glad that Kevin and Lori came through with a much fairer deal.  The whole baby butt cream thing was dumb and un-hygienic, but that double-screw idea is genius and that's where the moula is on that deal.

Robert also annoyed me while he was commiserating with the fairy's mother about communism.  Robert - you came to Canada, not the US, from Croatia, and lived there until quite recently.  Why are you pretending otherwise?  Are you suddenly ashamed that you're Canadian?

The crackers sounded interesting, but I find that a lot of these crackers just don't really fill you up and you're still hungry afterwards.  Yes, chips are fattening, but when you eat a pile of them, at least you're full and stop eating.

The coffee brewer was interesting, but way too early.  I think that his biodegradable pods are where he should be putting his effort.  And d-bag influencer needs a smack upside the head for being so annoying and full of himself

The water - I can't get excited about any drink.  I am boring.  I drink water and black tea 99% of the time, mostly because I would always rather eat my calories.  Even though this was zero calories and no artificial anything, I'd rather spend $2 on something to eat instead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Can someone explain to me the reason the sharks always express hatred for the beverages . From what I gather , there’s too many beverages already out there in the stores , but can’t the same be said for anything in the food / snack market ? But the sharks don’t say anything about that . Unless I’m missing another reason ? 

I could be wrong but I think one of the reasons they're against beverages is because of the weight say a 6 pack of cans or bottles would be.  If they tried to go direct to consumer online the shipping fees would be astronomical.  Snacks don't weigh that much so the shipping costs wouldn't be as much of an issue.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/25/2021 at 3:22 PM, I Want My MBTV said:

I could be wrong but I think one of the reasons they're against beverages is because of the weight say a 6 pack of cans or bottles would be.  If they tried to go direct to consumer online the shipping fees would be astronomical.  Snacks don't weigh that much so the shipping costs wouldn't be as much of an issue.  

I think another factor is that a lot of drinks require refrigeration, at least for those single serve bottles they sell in a lot of places. There is less space and so more competition to get positioned well at the store.

Definitely interested in biodegradable pods though!

This! Why haven't the big K-Cup guys figured this out yet? I'm a big recycler, but I CANNOT do the extra work to recycle the pod containers, and I don't like using the plastic pods where you insert your own coffee grounds.

Yes to the poster above who mentioned using a thermos.