Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Cake

• Start Topic

Airs. Jan. 28, 2021

A customer asks the café to bake his wedding cake, but it's a tricky situation for Phil. Meanwhile, Kat tries to figure out where her relationship with Max stands in the all-new "Cake" episode of CALL ME KAT airing Thursday, Jan. 28 (9:00-9:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (KAT-107) (TV-14 D, L)

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

This show and writing are SO BAD.  Like two broke girls bad.  

Not quite, but it's getting there. Certainly seems to be the downward direction they're taking. I feel badly for Leslie Jordan having to deliver this dreck. Everyone else, notsomuch. I'm pretty sure it's one and done.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This was the worst episode so far.  I didn't laugh once, and several of the "jokes" I could see coming a mile away.  I hope this was just an outlier, and the show gets back on track next week (I've enjoyed the show up until now).

Nit-pick: Does Kat have a door that separates her apartment from the cafe?  It looks like that staircase simply goes straight up to her apartment, with no barrier-to-entry at all.  This really bothers me for some reason! 

• Love 3

I feel like it would be pretty easy to deal with the wedding cake PR mess, just post something about it being a misunderstanding and say that your going to make the cake. If they gave an explanation and mentioned that one of their three employees is a gay man, this could probably be cleared up But, you know, sitcom shenanigans. 

This show is rather inconsistent in quality so far, but what is consistent is how cute the kitty cats are. I just want more kitty cats doing cute kitty cat stuff, with cat name puns. 

• Love 8

I can’t believe they’d use a gay wedding as an excuse to not bake a cake. They’re too sophisticated at social media to not realize how it’d play out.

I’m not buying the premise that she’s happily single when she’s crushing hard on the bartender, and I was surprised they revealed her crush to him so early. Maybe she’ll mature a bit, drop the crush, and actually be happy where she is in life. Love can still happen, but maybe with someone who’s interested romantically in her. I hope it’s a new character and not the bartender suddenly realizing he’s “loved her all along” trope.

Edited by Kiddvideo
Grammar
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Harvey said:

I thought this episode was better than last week's. Many of the jokes were more clever and I was shocked our main couple actually kissed 😮 .

I agree. The previous episode was pretty forgettable, but this one was enjoyable. I liked the cat scenes too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I did like that Kat confronted him directly on his statement that he wouldn't date her and that the conversation was rather adult.  It's a statement that would hurt someone's feelings and it was clear he was distancing himself not to give her the wrong impression.  That's the kind of thing that would ruin a friendship.

7 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

’m not buying the premise that she’s happily single when she’s crushing hard on the bartender, and I was surprised they revealed her crush to him so early.

Being happily single doesn't mean you're shut down to a potential romance; it just means you don't need to be in a relationship to be happy and won't "settle" for just anyone just to be be partnered with someone. 

The crush was a large part of the original series but it was a much shorter series than this one. I wonder if they addressed it right away to at least put it on the backburner for a potential long haul.  

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I did like that Kat confronted him directly on his statement that he wouldn't date her and that the conversation was rather adult.

Yes, that was so refreshing! Two adults being direct and not letting some short-term awkwardness derail their long friendship. I liked it! I think that's one area where Kat has a leg up on Miranda. Kat seems more self-possessed and confident, while Miranda was incapable of even saying the word "sex" at a normal volume or communicating her feelings for Gary in a non-cringey, non-jokey way for most of the series.

Regarding the cake thing, I would have been royally pissed off if someone tried to ruin my business by falsely claiming I was a bigot. Kat and her staff took that way too lightly IMHO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

I think that's one area where Kat has a leg up on Miranda. Kat seems more self-possessed and confident, while Miranda was incapable of even saying the word "sex" at a normal volume or communicating her feelings for Gary in a non-cringey, non-jokey way for most of the series.

True--although I think that's also why Miranda was a funnier series.  (I said something about that in the comparison thread).

Although I don't think Kat really admitted her feelings--just addressed head on that his suspicions and his feelings about those suspicions were causing him to ruin the friendship he claimed he didn't want ruined.  

But hearing him say it might dampen the fantasy of them even if part of her always thought it was a fantasy.  

I also forgot to mention that they're getting better at the waving thing.  Even though I still think it'd be better with credits, having all of them show up in Kat/Max's dream was a smart way to do it. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

True--although I think that's also why Miranda was a funnier series.  (I said something about that in the comparison thread).

Lol, I was responding to your comment in that thread at the same time!

3 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

Although I don't think Kat really admitted her feelings--just addressed head on that his suspicions and his feelings about those suspicions were causing him to ruin the friendship he claimed he didn't want ruined.  

That's what I liked about it. It wasn't Kat pouring out her feelings about an overly long crush, it was a very mature, "hey, I heard you say this thing and I want to ask you what you meant." I'm a pretty direct person, but I still struggle with confrontations like this, so I was very happy to see it play out the way it did.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Being happily single doesn't mean you're shut down to a potential romance; it just means you don't need to be in a relationship to be happy and won't "settle" for just anyone just to be be partnered with someone. 

I agree, but the show is leaning hard into this aspect of her life, and not showing us how happy she is in general. She tells us the cafe is her dream job, but we hardly ever see her doing it. Most of the time she's dating or trying to date or dreaming about dating someone. I mean, fine. Lots of people date. But if the show is going to be about her romantic adventures, that's a different show than a show about a woman who loves running a cafe and is happy in her life, with or without a partner.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, possibilities said:

he tells us the cafe is her dream job, but we hardly ever see her doing it. Most of the time she's dating or trying to date or dreaming about dating someone. I mean, fine. Lots of people date. But if the show is going to be about her romantic adventures, that's a different show than a show about a woman who loves running a cafe and is happy in her life, with or without a partner.

I can see this.  I think part of this is the lack of developed friendships on this version of the show.  We see a little bit of it with Leslie Jordan's character but not enough. 

The original version showed her having fun or "fun" with her best friend quite a bit. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

The original version showed her having fun or "fun" with her best friend quite a bit. 

I really miss those types of scenes. Where’s Miranda always made me laugh. 

3 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Yes, that was so refreshing! Two adults being direct and not letting some short-term awkwardness derail their long friendship. I liked it! I think that's one area where Kat has a leg up on Miranda. Kat seems more self-possessed and confident, while Miranda was incapable of even saying the word "sex" at a normal volume or communicating her feelings for Gary in a non-cringey, non-jokey way for most of the series.

See, but that was part of the point of the original show - that an underconfident, less self-possessed woman who was incapable of even saying the word "sex" at a normal volume or communicating her feelings for Gary in a non-cringey, non-jokey way could end up a winner.  Otherwise it's a half hour of "Aren't I special?" every week and that's not so funny.  Somehow Miranda ended up a winner despite herself, sending the message that you don't have to be Ms. Confidence to deserve or get what you want.  Kat can represent the underconfident and still be everyone's champion.  And people love to root for an underdog.  I think about the "Mary Tyler Moore" show - Mary was very sheepish and underconfident, and yet at the time she was every girl's heroine, and grew in her confidence over time.  She represented us the way we were, not what we aspired to be.  And I feel that makes a character more relatable and funnier as they fumble their way through.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

IMO, social media is the modern day massive high school click.  In essence mob rule.  You either join them or risk being cancelled by them.   Like a snowball rolling down a hill it gets bigger and bigger as it goes along, and people who buck against that trend can be squashed (cancelled) by it.  If Kat chose not to make the cake, regardless of explanation and followed through on that, her business would have been out of business.   It shouldn't be that way, but it would have been that way.  Rationality is out the window, and emotion takes over.   She can give a rational explanation for not making the cake, but overemotional people won't buy into her explanation.

As I have said before, IMO anti-bullying campaigns have created this mess.  I won't harp on it.

Not sure how good you're hearing is, but if you hear thunderous applause that's me clapping real hard over this.  I can't agree more.  No one - and I mean NO ONE - should be bullied into doing anything that makes them uncomfortable (whether it's over political/religious/social beliefs) at the risk of being threatened or having their lives destroyed just because they're not brainwashed sheep following the popular narrative

I don't like that Phil gave in - no matter the speech Kat gave him about moving on.  It's obvious he's still hurting from the breakup and being left for someone his former partner wants to make a commitment to.  And to make a cake for his former partner and younger man's wedding is too much of an emotional burden to bear.  It's his right and choice NOT to, nor does he have to take to social media to explain a very personal matter so Kat's Cafe wouldn't be subject to hate and boycotting, even though he was willing to lay his broken heart on the line for the sake of her business.  That's. Just. Wrong.  All these social media/justice warriors just suck and need to stay out of people's lives and let them live and believe in what they want

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

See, but that was part of the point of the original show - that an underconfident, less self-possessed woman who was incapable of even saying the word "sex" at a normal volume or communicating her feelings for Gary in a non-cringey, non-jokey way could end up a winner.

I agree, and that's one of the things I love about the original show. But for me personally, sometimes Miranda's awkwardness became too broad and verged into the unbelievable category, even for a stylized farce. It was still hilarious to watch, but took me out of the moment. YMMV.

Regarding the cake fiasco, I agree that Phil and the cafe became undeserving victims of the social media juggernaut. It really sucks that he had to choose between his livelihood and his personal feelings/mental health, based on the incorrect accusation of a stranger. I'm not sure how I would have handled it myself, but if I chose to bake the cake I would sure as hell charge an exorbitant amount for it.

Edited by Cherpumple
  • Love 4

Sometimes life throws complicated situations at you, but no one forced Phil to make the cake. On the contrary, Kat was willing to let her business and her reputation take a hit to protect his feelings. When she called to say they couldn't make the cake, Kat should have explained that the reason they couldn't take the job was because the baker was the ex of the guy getting married, but Kat was even willing to spare Phil's feelings by keeping that secret-- and that is where I think they made the big mistake. Most people woudl not want their wedding cake to be baked by their ex. 

Either way, actions have consequences. If you decide to turn down business, and you don't explain why, people will wonder what is going on, and you run the risk of them leaping to wrong conclusions based on their life experiences with other people who have behaved similarly. 

Sitcoms rely a lot on people not communicating, in order to generate shenanigans. But I don't see the cafe as being persecuted in this case, or forced to do anything. I see it as them being insensitive and self-absorbed and bad at handling public relations. 

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, possibilities said:

When she called to say they couldn't make the cake, Kat should have explained that the reason they couldn't take the job was because the baker was the ex of the guy getting married, but Kat was even willing to spare Phil's feelings by keeping that secret-- and that is where I think they made the big mistake. Most people woudl not want their wedding cake to be baked by their ex. 

There are a lot of perfectly valid reasons Kat could have given without telling the truth. It’s impossible to know if Kat screwed up without knowing what she said. I really doubt she didn’t give any explanation. 

Cats!  They're showing more and more of the cute and adorable kitties!

The ending with Max's dream was funny and clever.

The nerve of the man who wrote a bad yelp review to sabotage a business screams entitlement and reverse bullying by a gay person.  What led Layne G. to conclude the bakery couldn't accommodate his requested order because he's gay?  What an asshat.  Besides, if Kat explained the situation, would you really want a heartbroken ex baking your wedding cake?  Just sayin'. 😉

• Love 5
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Sometimes life throws complicated situations at you, but no one forced Phil to make the cake. On the contrary, Kat was willing to let her business and her reputation take a hit to protect his feelings. When she called to say they couldn't make the cake, Kat should have explained that the reason they couldn't take the job was because the baker was the ex of the guy getting married, but Kat was even willing to spare Phil's feelings by keeping that secret-- and that is where I think they made the big mistake. Most people woudl not want their wedding cake to be baked by their ex.

I agree with this completely.  I don't understand why the reason needed to be kept a secret.  It's not like Phil is in the closet or anything.  I wouldn't want my workplace to take a hit because they couldn't be at least that honest about it.  I don't think they needed to think up a fib either.  Why not just tell the truth?  I think it would have offended the person a lot less than keeping it a secret.  Most people would not want their ex to make their wedding cake or at least would fully understand why their ex wouldn't want to do it.  It was bad writing if you ask me.  I thought stupid annoying and very avoidable miscommunication plots in sitcoms were a thing of the distant past.  Obviously not on this show.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Sometimes life throws complicated situations at you, but no one forced Phil to make the cake. On the contrary, Kat was willing to let her business and her reputation take a hit to protect his feelings.

Agree with both these points.  What's a shame is that it should have come to either of these choices because a disgruntled customer lept to the wrong conclusion and decided to play the 'gay card' on Yelp to spite the cafe.  I know in the end Phil made the choice to bake the cake of his own volition, but had it not been for that hateful review he would never have done it.  Both he and Kat were willing take one for the team - Phil airing his broken heart and Kat having to deal with a boycotting and lost business.  Yes, no one twisted Phil's arm, but 'freely' wanting to bake the cake without hesitation after finding out who it was for as opposed to not wanting to, only to do so in order to protect his friend's business are two different things.

9 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

So for the leap to be a bad review because of discrimination was bad writing.  It could have been simply that he didn't feel comfortable baking for 100-200 guests.

That could've solved the problem, but both Kat and Phil having to resort to lying about the reason in order to avoid online hate only proves that they had to succumb to 'spin' to avoid the cancel culture police.  Phil never should have had to do something he wasn't emotionally ready for nor should Kat have to make excuses to save her business.  The fault does not lie with either of them, but with the social media mob who made them feel forced to have to make a choice in order to avoid financial ruin.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, ctlady said:

The fault does not lie with either of them, but with the social media mob who made them feel forced to have to make a choice in order to avoid financial ruin.

There was no social media mob.  It was one review and owners can reply to those reviews.

But saying we've never done a wedding and don't feel ready for it yet wouldn't have been lying.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

What's weird about it, especially, is that she seemed excited and said she'd have to check with the baker.  So for the leap to be a bad review because of discrimination was bad writing.  It could have been simply that he didn't feel comfortable baking for 100-200 guests.

Agree 100%. Or Kat could've said the baker's calendar was booked. If I remember correctly the guy didn't say he was marrying a man just said wedding, so Kat was to assume he's gay and know the cake was for a gay wedding? She seemed excited to bake the cake for the wedding but said she had to speak to the baker first so why would he use the gay card to ding her business. Also, am I supposed to believe Phil's ex didn't know he was the baker because I don't and in my opinion that was pretty shitty of him to let his fiance request a cake from him and then act like a spoiled child when he was told no he couldn't bake it.

I got a kick out the dream at the end, then everyone flying in to wave except the mom.

More kitty cats 🙂

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

There was no social media mob.  It was one review and owners can reply to those reviews.

It wasn’t just the one review. Randi’s line that “Twitter decided that the Neil Catrick Harris cam was nothing but a publicity stunt and not an attempt to open a dialogue so they’re  calling for a boycott of the cafe this Sat”.   Twitter took it upon themselves to assume the intentions behind the cat-cam, decided it was disingenuous and called for a boycott  Who knows how many people would’ve showed up outside the cafe  to protest - all because of a ‘big tech’ assumption -which would’ve destroyed Kat’s small business 

• Love 4

At first it was just one yelp review, which Kat the business owner could have responded in writing to on their website.  Then it turned into a mob mentality knee-jerk reaction of boycotting because of gay SJWs.  Both things happened so I agree with everyone's posts about it and appreciate the conversation we're having here.  🙂

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

It wasn’t just the one review. Randi’s line that “Twitter decided that the Neil Catrick Harris cam was nothing but a publicity stunt and not an attempt to open a dialogue so they’re  calling for a boycott of the cafe this Sat”.   Twitter took it upon themselves to assume the intentions behind the cat-cam, decided it was disingenuous and called for a boycott

They weren’t wrong though. It was a transparent attempt to appear gay-friendly in a completely meaningless way that didn’t address the accusations at all. Putting a cat cam on a cat named after a gay celebrity is a pretty insulting and tone deaf response to serious accusations of discrimination. 

As a viewer I’m not particularly thrilled they went with a scenario that suggested a gay man jumped to the conclusion of discrimination with zero evidence. Yes, it happens in real life but it still made me vaguely uncomfortable they went in that direction without showing the actual conversation. 

Edited by Guest

I'm still enjoying this show.  

I get what you all are saying about not having to explain yourself and your decisions, unless, of course, you're trying to run a business.  It sucks, but if there is a misconception about your business, then you probably should bite the bullet and explain.  Or make-up some reason.  I'm fine that they found an alternate solution and even fine that Kat 'forces' him to make the cake, because it came from a place of friendship, to help him move on.

Also, as mentioned, another sitcom trope is lack of communication and misinterpreting situations.  And once again, it seems like this show is pointing it out and then turning it on its head.  Kat and Max actually discussed things.  I'm liking this aspect of the show.  "Oh, look, people get stuck on the roof."  And then they aren't ...

And cats...  And cat pun names....

• Love 4

I was wondering why the men would go to a coffee shop to bake their wedding cake. Kat’s Place does serve pastries and muffin type things but why would you assume they also bake wedding cakes? It just seemed shoehorned into the plot or something.

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I was wondering why the men would go to a coffee shop to bake their wedding cake. Kat’s Place does serve pastries and muffin type things but why would you assume they also bake wedding cakes? It just seemed shoehorned into the plot or something.

Kat’s if more than a coffee shop. The cake was a regular part of their menu. He loved it and asked if they could make it into a wedding cake. 

Most people would go to a professional wedding cake bakery who are experienced and have the kitchen equipment and time scheduled to do the catering.  If a business is unable to fulfill your needs, you can't force them to.  The guy was an asshat.  Also, didn't Phil recently get dumped by the ex-turned-groom?  He was probably cheating on Phil with cake guy the whole time!

• Love 4

Phil was wrong. He should have just baked the cake. It's a business, not a therapist's office, so just do your job. There was not some fake moral objection for refusing to bake the cake.

The shop's attempts to show they weren't prejudiced were rightly called out for the transparent attempts they were. 

Are we to assume Phil's ex-boyfriend was age appropriate to him and that the ex is marrying a man half his age? Or is this another case of a main character dating out of his league?

I'm still seeking the show out on demand, but it's really not good. 

• Love 1

I still say you can’t just go to your average coffee shop/cafe and expect them to bake your wedding cake, even if they serve delicious pastries including cake. Bakeries and individuals who make wedding cakes have the equipment and time as well as experience. Other people can of course bake a cake but unless wedding cakes are their business, they have a right to say no.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I still say you can’t just go to your average coffee shop/cafe and expect them to bake your wedding cake, even if they serve delicious pastries including cake. Bakeries and individuals who make wedding cakes have the equipment and time as well as experience. Other people can of course bake a cake but unless wedding cakes are their business, they have a right to say no.

True, the sign on the shop doesn't even say "Bakery", does it?  It's called a café, not a bakery.  That would be like expecting Starbucks to make your wedding cake, LOL.  But why couldn't Kat say something about that to justify turning the guy down instead of only making things worse?  Also, I think it's vaguely insulting to gay people in general to show one jumping to the conclusion that being turned down was the result of prejudice.

This particular plotline appears nowhere in the original "Miranda", thankfully, because none of the cast was supposed to be gay, that I know of.  I know Mayim has made somewhat defensive comments in a video about how difficult it is to film during the pandemic, but this has nothing to do with the pandemic, it's just bad writing.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

But why couldn't Kat say something about that to justify turning the guy down instead of only making things worse?

It's why I jump to awful writing.  It's one thing not to be funny but it's another to just not make sense. 

29 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

This particular plotline appears nowhere in the original "Miranda", thankfully, because none of the cast was supposed to be gay, that I know of. 

It wasn't focused on but we found out

Spoiler

Clive

was gay or bi in the finale. 

7 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

You’re absolutely right. The problem is we don’t know if they guy was entitled and jumped to discrimination with no evidence or if Kat completely bungled telling him no. We know she’s prone to making up absurd lies when she gets anxious. It’s entirely plausible that the leap to discrimination wasn’t that far because of how the conversation went. 

2 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

It's why I jump to awful writing.  It's one thing not to be funny but it's another to just not make sense. 

Exactly. 

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, Dani said:

You’re absolutely right. The problem is we don’t know if they guy was entitled and jumped to discrimination with no evidence or if Kat completely bungled telling him no

I need to rewatch that part, but from what I can recall - Layne told her he loved the cake so much that that he wanted it made for his wedding.  Nothing was mentioned as to whether it was a gay or straight wedding, nor did Kat ask for an appx number of people to feed.  She did give Phil the courtesy as the baker to make the decision since he'd be the one to make it by telling the Layne that she'd have to check with her baker first, but did take his name and number.  She did not tell him no on the spot or make any assumptin that he may be gay and, therefore, didn't want to make the cake because of that.  The phone call between kat and Layne took place offscreen so we don't know what Kat said to him or what Layne may have replied, but from what I saw onscreen, no indication was made that his request would be turned down because he was gay

I do agree that although the cafe is also considered a bakery, there's a difference between a bakery that sells individual baked goods to go with a coffee order and one that has the equipment, molds, etc. to make a triple/quadruple batch of a recipe (which doesn't guarantee that it'll wind up tasting the same) to make a cake to feed 50+ guests.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, ctlady said:

The phone call between kat and Layne took place offscreen so we don't know what Kat said to him or what Layne may have replied, but from what I saw onscreen, no indication was made that his request would be turned down because he was gay

This is the part I was talking about. It’s a mistake to put this part offscreen and makes it impossible to know who was wrong. Kat said she was going to tell Lane they couldn’t make the cake because there is an egg shortage because of a chicken shortage. We also see her tell Max she volunteers for the police solving crimes when on the spot. She’s a horrible liar. If she told Lane a clearly fake, rambling excuse she has a least some of the responsibility for what happened. And if that rambling excuse came after Lane says something about his boyfriend it’s not a leap to think discrimination may be a factor. Letting it be ambiguous is bad writing in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

This is the part I was talking about. It’s a mistake to put this part offscreen and makes it impossible to know who was wrong. Kat said she was going to tell Lane they couldn’t make the cake because there is an egg shortage because of a chicken shortage. We also see her tell Max she volunteers for the police solving crimes when on the spot. She’s a horrible liar. If she told Lane a clearly fake, rambling excuse she has a least some of the responsibility for what happened. And if that rambling excuse came after Lane says something about his boyfriend it’s not a leap to think discrimination may be a factor. Letting it be ambiguous is bad writing in my opinion. 

The Ambiguously Gay Duo!  😀  (Please tell me you remember this from SNL.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Gay people who play the victim because they assume they are being discriminated against makes that person an asshat.  Asshats don't get to go around trying to destroy businesses because their feelings were hurt or they want to be a SJW.  If you have a specific grievance, then air it with facts.  This goes for everyone else playing the victim because they don't get what they want from life every time.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Gay people who play the victim because they assume they are being discriminated against makes that person an asshat.  Asshats don't get to go around trying to destroy businesses because their feelings were hurt or they want to be a SJW.  If you have a specific grievance, then air it with facts.  This goes for everyone else playing the victim because they don't get what they want from life every time.

Because the conversation happened off screen, we don't know if his jumping to that assumption was ridiculous or not. As @Dani pointed out, Kat is a horrible liar.  We know she didn't tell him the truth, which she should have done, that Marty was the baker's ex and he didn't feel like doing his first wedding cake for the man who left him. Had the fiance thrown a fit then, well then he'd be an asshat. 

But I'm not about to discount a gay man's lived experience of discrimination if he gets told something that is obviously a horrible excuse just because this one time the horrible, contact-avoiding excuse wasn't because he was gay when it probably was 95% of the time in the past. 

And didn't this all happen because Phil didn't want to seem pathetically not over his ex?  Even though it's 100% reasonable to not want to participate in an ex's wedding most of the time? 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Maybe you shouldn't expect it, but I don't see the harm in asking.  He didn't demand, just asked if they could do it.  Kat's enthusiasm made him think they could/would.  She did give herself the out by saying she had to ask the baker and like others said, could have just said they weren't capable of an order that big.

Also, I thought he said for about 60 people.  Still a big cake but not for hundreds of guests.

• Love 3

They tried to turn the  Masterpiece Cakeshop lawsuit into a comedic plot and ended up making everyone involved look incredibly stupid. The whole episode, even the cat cam story, would have worked fine without the Social Media outcry, if it was just Phil torn between being happy that someone loves his cake so much they want it at their wedding and his feelings towards his ex.

• Love 5