Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: The Trough

Aulty

When the employees start to worry about Jonah's emotional state, Mateo, Glenn and Sandra try to help him move on after Amy. Cheyenne is forced to shadow Carol for the day. Garrett helps Dina search for a secret location in the store.

Original Air Date: 01/28/20

Edited by Aulty

Some funny moments tonite 🙂  Loved Sandra wearing a wig & blue blazer to imitate Amy so that Jonah can vent, and then when Jonah vents to everyone including Kelly!  Carol is So Devious!  Dinah talking to the Corporate guy & calling him "Shady".  Dinah & Garrett find the "trough" & sparks fly.  I had some laugh out loud moments..

• Love 7

I love Kelly.  I love Kelly and Jonah.  I think they were and always were the better couple.  I think they just have a better vibe together.  I think they communicate better.  I think they understand one another better.  I just think they work better than Jonah ever did romantically with Amy.

I'm sure, with the show ending, it's probably very likely that Jonah is going to end up with Amy at the end but me? I'm going to be in my own little corner thinking I'd rather be watching a Jonah and Kelly spinoff.

They had some good lines tonight like Kelly trying to stay out of it but getting drawn in when she learned that Jonah was living with Marcus.  Some of the writing was a little weird because she and Jonah worked together on the union stuff so some of the writing tonight kind of felt like they forgot that part?  But otherwise, it was good to see Jonah get upset and vent. 

I loved Garrett and Dina in the past but I just don't see how the show can reasonably look past the birds.  Unless they show up alive, there's just no way that will ever be okay. 

The show ruined them just like they ruined Jeff and Mateo.  And now Mateo's stuck with Amy's more-boring-than-she-is brother. 

I need Carol to get her comeuppance before this show ends. 

Sandra as Amy?  Gold.

• Love 14

I really liked Dina and Garrett together so I'm happy that the show is teasing them again.

Ugh, Kelly. 

If the show has any decency, Carol will get her comeuppance by the time the series ends. And hopefully Sandra will be the one to give it to her. 

I miss Amy, too, Glenn. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Marcus looks a little weird, like he lost some weight. I thought Marcus and Mateo were living together or used to live together. Now Mateo is acting like he is too good to live with Marcus.

I thought so too. It seemed like Marcus had a great relationship with Mateo's grandmother and she loved to cook for him, so I don't know what would have caused him to move out.

I love that Kelly is totally over Jonah. I agree that they worked better as a couple than Jonah and Amy, but after the way Jonah humiliated her, I hope Kelly doesn't take him back, ever.

I know Carol is a nasty piece of work, but if I were one of her coworkers, I'd be silently rooting for her to get a huge settlement so she'd quit her job and I wouldn't have to work with her anymore.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, funnygirl said:

If the show has any decency, Carol will get her comeuppance by the time the series ends.

Calling it now, she will be Regina George-d and gets hit by a bus.

• Love 5

I wish they hadn't made Marcus and Justine cousins because they'd be a hilarious couple.

My vote for the spinoff has Sayid as the main character in a better but still aggravating job. Maybe he's finally able to buy his own Subway franchise or something and has to manage a bunch of fools and that one sociopath that every Subway has.

7 hours ago, Harvey said:

Yeah, I think they're going to bump her off in some comically ridiculous way.

• Love 6

Marcus looks a little weird, like he lost some weight.

So I'm not the only one. This is the first time we've seen Marcus this season, too, as far as I can remember. I thought maybe he'd left the show.

My favorite bit was Glenn saying Jerusha has played his mother many times, "and doesn't even have to wear the wig because . . . oh."

Can we get that as a spin-off instead of Bo and Cheyenne?

Is there really going to be a Bo and Cheyenne spinoff? I can't picture it, they're both such cartoon characters.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I really liked Dina and Garrett together so I'm happy that the show is teasing them again.

If only I could forget Birdgate! Even handwaving that, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that Dina almost cheated on the vet, although the writers are rightfully banking on us not caring about an off-screen character/relationship. Dina could've easily had a throwaway line about a breakup. 

11 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I thought so too. It seemed like Marcus had a great relationship with Mateo's grandmother and she loved to cook for him, so I don't know what would have caused him to move out.

I love that Kelly is totally over Jonah. I agree that they worked better as a couple than Jonah and Amy, but after the way Jonah humiliated her, I hope Kelly doesn't take him back, ever.

Totally forgot about Marcus and Mateo, in which case Mateo is unsurprisingly being a huge douche by shitting on Marcus, but I guess it's like the Dina/Garrett situation where you're supposed to forget old plots that don't serve the current narrative.

Even though they let her have a spine this time, Kelly has always deserved more of a purpose than being repeatedly embarrassed by Jonah. She's awesome, and Marcus is a sweetheart too. I would love for Kelly and Marcus to date and bond over their mutual judgement of Jonah, lol.

It's very awkward that the showrunners set up all these new dynamics and planted all these permanent seeds like Amy leaving and Dina being co-manager to delineate the Superstore universe post-America, only to have to hastily undo everything in 10 or however many episodes to piece together a series finale.

Besides Kelly, Cheyenne was the unexpected MVP of this episode. I love how genuinely impressed she was with Carol extorting her. "Bye bitch!" Sandra's Amy roleplay was another gem.  

• Love 5

Kelly and Jonah always made more sense as a couple than Jonah and Amy, mainly because Kelly actually liked to like Jonah, so it was nice seeing her again, even if that ship has clearly sailed. I still imagine that if America comes back for the finale they will bring her and Jonah back together. 

Why are we not getting a spin-off where Marcus and Jonah are odd couple style roommates? 

Not a bad episode, some funny bits, especially Cheyenne's respect for Carol hustling her. Everyone should be rooting for Carol to win her lawsuit, get tons of money, and leave forever so they never have to deal with her again. Really, they should have called the cops on her ages ago, especially after everything she pulled on Sandra during her wedding. 

"I like you. Your shady, but in a way that seems legally covered." "Thank you." 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

This episode hat so many little bits that worked all together. From Kelly, Jonah and Marcus to the ever scheming Mateo, Glenn and Fake Amy, Garreth and Dinah catfishing Justine, Cheyenne bonding with Carol. A full cast episode. I missed those.

I knew the announcement that Kelly would be back was a red herring.

Its a bit odd that Jonah sublet a room in Amy's house to Marcus.

How many hidden rooms and areas does that store have? And how does resident security tyrant Dinah not know about them?

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Harvey said:

I felt the little cough Carol had at the end of the stockroom conversation with Cheyenne was a bit ominous.  But I suppose it's too early for a death by Covid plot line to come across as funny.  Maybe they could do an homage to The Good Place and have her run over by a runaway line of shopping carts in the parking lot.

I liked this episode!  I'm liking this season!  I'm mad that TPTB are throwing away this show, but somehow thinking a spinoff with the most annoying and unlikeable character (Bo, not Chyenne) would work.  I mean, the only people who might tune in would be Superstore fans, so why not just continue Superstore???  Seriously, where is the logic in this from a ratings perspective?

A little nitpick... Justine's hair was really bugging me.  There were a lot of back of the head shots, and it was just entirely too perfect.  Any  normal woman would have a hard time doing that herself, let alone a hot mess like Justine.  But I loved "what am I going to tell my parents"!

A second nitpick... I wish they'd be a little more consistent with masks in scenes.  It makes sense that no one is wearing them in the stockroom or breakroom - not covid compliant (or legal, at least in my state), but realistic and in my book an ok exception for the show.  But for Jonah, Kelly, Marcus and Matteo all to not be wearing them on the floor for Jonah's breakdown scene was odd, especially since in most other on-the-floor scenes employees are wearing masks.   They could have had Jonah and Kelly on some sort of inventory project in the stock room to have them unmasked for the scene.  I think they need to do what Mr. Mayor did - announce that Dolly Parton came up with a cure for covid and be done with it on screen. 

• Love 6

I felt bad for Justine being catfished by Garrett and Dina because she is an easy target.

There was a lot that was funny here, but it did feel like they were skipping forward on some threads, like Dina and Garrett, because they are pressed for time.  Agree that it is not possible to get past the birds.

I don't remember hearing that Dina's last name was Fox, and it made me realize that I know the last names of none of the other characters.

Marcus was on the season earlier - he got Covid at the Ozark lake spring break party - but he' been mostly masked since then.  The actor did look thinner.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I felt bad for Justine being catfished by Garrett and Dina because she is an easy target.

There was a lot that was funny here, but it did feel like they were skipping forward on some threads, like Dina and Garrett, because they are pressed for time.  Agree that it is not possible to get past the birds.

I don't remember hearing that Dina's last name was Fox, and it made me realize that I know the last names of none of the other characters.

Marcus was on the season earlier - he got Covid at the Ozark lake spring break party - but he' been mostly masked since then.  The actor did look thinner.

Dina Fox, Glenn Sturgis, Amy Sosa, Jonah Simms, Mateo Liwanag.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
On 1/29/2021 at 2:59 PM, chaifan said:

But for Jonah, Kelly, Marcus and Matteo all to not be wearing them on the floor for Jonah's breakdown scene was odd, especially since in most other on-the-floor scenes employees are wearing masks.   They could have had Jonah and Kelly on some sort of inventory project in the stock room to have them unmasked for the scene.

I thought that whole scene took place in either an area of the store that was currently being restocked and off-limits to customers or that it was during inventory. The only other people seen out on the floor in the background were other workers, there were no customers. I noticed that too and thought it strange for them not to be masked so I paid close attention to all the background actors and they were all store employees.

• Love 2

Jonah's been such a loser lately. I hope getting pissed at Amy (finally!) is the start of an upward swing for him. I think Kelly was there to show him that he could bounce back.

I re-watched the episode when Carol got electrocuted. Amy told her the robot needed a "hard reset" and when Carol clarified, "You want me to fix the robot? I don't know much about technology." Glenn said, "Oh you'll figure it out. It's idiot proof." She somehow got a manual and a toolkit even. Carol deserves a settlement, and I like the idea of her sticking it to Zephyr management. Companies need an ombudsman not corporate HR lemmings. Give her a boatload of money.

Cheyenne is so over her head with the floor supervisor promotion. Think back to when Amy had the job -- pricing changes, product placement, schedules, shift assignments, HR issues, on-the-spot decision making -- there's no way Cheyenne, who thinks it's ok to use a zipped trampoline tent as a babysitter, can do it.

Edited by Kiddvideo
clarity
  • Love 7