Type keyword(s) to search

S1, E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

Jean, an empty-nester mom, decides to re-insert herself into her children's lives.

Main Cast:

Kyra Sedgwick as Jean Raines

Rachel Sennott as Jackie Raines, Jean's daughter

Joey Bragg as Freddie Raines, Jean's son

Patrick Brammall as Danny

Emma Caymares as Celia

Austin Crute as Lane

Recurring Cast:

Sherri Shepherd as Sharon; Jackie Seiden as Cheryl

Honestly not as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I got a few good chuckles out of it.  I don’t think it has any longevity if any of the characters want any forward momentum.   But it wasn’t terrible.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Yikes!

I love Kyra, but just........... yuck

Sheri Shephard was very good.....

And that's pretty much the extent of it.

The laugh track was horrific and when I notice a laugh track you know that nothing was funny!  I once argued that The Big Bang Theory didn't even have a laugh track!  Wrong then, not wrong now.

The kids were terrible.  Where did this staccato delivery with little inflection and then obvious pauses for the laugh track come from, because the line delivered like an order was NOT FUNNY!  And I've noticed this delivery in other shows featuring young actors.

The landlord and mom characters have potential largely because I know Kyra has talent and the actor playing landlord appears to have some as well.

When Sheri Shepard is the best thing about a sitcom and her role is minor? 

It was awful

• Love 4

Kyra deserves better than this.  That was painful. I will probably try it one more time, but it will have to be tons better.  The kids’ acting was awful and the characters were almost offensively stereotypical.  Just wow.

• Love 4

This is why I'll give a show a few episodes to find it's way.

Pilots are rarely great, and I think the cast has potential, though I did like the girlfriend and the roommate better than the kids. And, like others have said, Kyra and her hair both look fabulous.

• Love 3
On 1/15/2021 at 11:43 AM, MaryMitch said:

(On a shallow note, I loved Kyra's hair!)

Yeah, Kyra’s hair and the dog stole the show ––not that there was much to steal.

The last bit with Kyra with the dog in bed (instead of the dog’s owner) is the *only* reason I will watch another episode. 

The actor who played the son seemed like a good looking amateur who has sadly reached his peak. I hope either I’m wrong, or he finds another career path for which he is better suited.

But there was a really horrible pilot in 2012, “The Neighbors,” that was really great after that, so I’ll give a show a second chance most of the time. But “The Neighbors” never really recovered from all its justifiably bad reviews of its pilot. 

• Love 1

I watched the pilot last night, and I like it. To me, it's better than The Mayer and Call me Kate. Maybe because I'm familiar with two leads in the other two and expected too much? Or, maybe because of the hair😍 of the lead in this show? 

• Love 2
On 1/18/2021 at 6:04 PM, shapeshifter said:

But there was a really horrible pilot in 2012, “The Neighbors,” that was really great after that, so I’ll give a show a second chance most of the time. But “The Neighbors” never really recovered from all its justifiably bad reviews of its pilot. 

Oh my god, I *adored* that show!! It was such a shame it only got a couple of seasons because it was hilarious. I'm not 100% certain Call Your Mother will follow the same path (mostly because I don't really see the potential in this show that I saw in the other) but I'm willing to give it a chance to prove me wrong.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, bobby2018 said:

Thank you shapeshifter and JenLily!! 

I found “The Neighbors,” on ABC. Just finished (2) episodes and I like it very much. Hopefully Call Your Mother will follow the same path. 

I think I remember that show. Was it the one where extra terrestrial aliens moved in to a suburban neighborhood?  But I missed what the connection is to this show. Or is it just a matter of “here’s a show that started out bad but got better“?

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I think I remember that show. Was it the one where extra terrestrial aliens moved in to a suburban neighborhood?  But I missed what the connection is to this show. Or is it just a matter of “here’s a show that started out bad but got better“?

The second. And I too adored The Neighbors after the not quite funny pilot. I stuck with it because I loved the premise. There’s a germ of a possibly good show here