Type keyword(s) to search

Tom Bergeron: A National Treasure-What was ABC thinking?

• Start Topic

The part of me that loathes Disney and ABC hopes that their firing of Tom was what they clearly did to Sharna.  She was punished for speaking out and Tom has been punished for speaking out.   I hope when it all goes pear-shaped that they ask him back and he refuses.  Note, in general, this is not the part of me who watches DWTS (although I most certainly will NOT miss let-us-manipulate-your-feeble-brains Disney night).

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 8/19/2020 at 5:41 PM, crowceilidh said:

The part of me that loathes Disney and ABC hopes that their firing of Tom was what they clearly did to Sharna.  She was punished for speaking out and Tom has been punished for speaking out.   I hope when it all goes pear-shaped that they ask him back and he refuses.  Note, in general, this is not the part of me who watches DWTS (although I most certainly will NOT miss let-us-manipulate-your-feeble-brains Disney night).

I've already wondered how many seasons will go by before they bring Tom and Erin back. My guess is one or two max.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I think Tyra will upset the "celebrities" because she has no compassion and will not be able to lighten the mood like Tom can. She will make everything about herself because that's how she rolls. I don't think ABC cared as much about Tom's reaction to Spicer, I think it was bottom-line financial--Tyra is probably getting paid less than Tom and Erin together, and I bet she got the producer tag in lieu of more money.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
On 8/20/2020 at 5:00 PM, Toonces464 said:

I've already wondered how many seasons will go by before they bring Tom and Erin back. My guess is one or two max.

Do you think it’s possible ratings will be better this season than they would be otherwise due to more people at home self-isolating? I hope not because I really want Tom back. 😞 I want ABC to regret this horrendous decision. I also enjoyed Erin and would be happy to see her back. I wasn’t as shocked by her firing because there had been other cohosts prior to her. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Do you think it’s possible ratings will be better this season than they would be otherwise due to more people at home self-isolating? I hope not because I really want Tom back. 😞 I want ABC to regret this horrendous decision. I also enjoyed Erin and would be happy to see her back. I wasn’t as shocked by her firing because there had been other cohosts prior to her. 

They have the same D-level celebs most people have never heard of. The same pros. The same judges. Whatever changes they make to the format of the show will be driven by COVID-19. I fail to see any "new creative direction" that isn't driven by the social distancing limitations, or how changing the host affects a "new creative direction" for the show.

Bottom line for me is that Andrew Llinares brought in Tyra as EP thinking her name would bring in viewers and bigger celebs, and she insisted on being the solo host. All you have to do is read social media or news story comments to see how much they've pissed off the viewers (well, other than the Val/Jenna/Emma/Sasha/Alan fans) and look at the cast list to see how bad they screwed this up.

My hope is that this season will be such a flaming pile of crap that they fire both Llinares and Tyra next season and bring back Tom and Erin to close the show down. But based on Tom's recent comments, I don't know that he'd even be willing to come back. Certainly not while Llinares is still there. And Erin has so many other things going on that the only way I see her coming back is for Tom.

Do I think ratings will improve because of everyone being home? No, not really. Most people are home on weeknights whether or not there's a pandemic going on. There are also too many other options out there for people to watch thanks to streaming. I've got a list a mile long of things to watch once I'm done with Schitt's Creek.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

I have never missed and episode of DWTS since the first episode. I will not be watching as of this season. Tom B. not hosting has ruined this show for me.

I will be following two celebs on YouTube. I've been waiting for Johnny Weir to appear on this show so I will be watching his dances on YouTube. The other celeb I'll be following is Jesse Metcalfe. I know him from Hallmark movies.

Bye DWTS.

• Love 12

I'm sorry, but a company like Disney does not bring people back. 

Is it possible, nay LIKELY, that like AGT before them they fairly quickly ditch Tyra and change her out for someone actually likeable?  Yes. 

Will it be Tom?  No. 

Even the best choice won't be the perfection of Tom, with his dry wit, perfect comic timing, and flawless ability to work live. But they'll likely get a significant bounce back from it not being Tyra, if it's someone at least decent. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Tom had that wonderful ability to lightening fast respond when things go wrong  that is a special talent you can't learn that...........  he i so funny too!  he  SHOULD have been given a farewell season.....DISNEY did him so so wrong

• Love 21
2 hours ago, sue450 said:

Tom had that wonderful ability to lightening fast respond when things go wrong  that is a special talent you can't learn that...........  he i so funny too!  he  SHOULD have been given a farewell season.....DISNEY did him so so wrong

Seriously.  Can you imagine what Tyra would have done when Cristian de la Fuente snapped a bicep tendon?  Probably yelled for the Executive Producer to come do something.  Oh, wait...  

Then called for makeup to come and check to see if she needed a pat down.

PS  Tom, I love you.  Never change!

• Love 12

If NBC could swing it, they should resurrect "Hollywood Squares" and bring Tom back as the host.  He was perfect, had such chemistry with the stars, and the setup is perfect for social distancing.  Maybe even get Whoopie back for the center square. 

So many game shows on right now, it would fit right in!  Sony owned the whole thing, so nobody would have to worry about ABC or Disney.   I loved the show in the 90's, even though nothing could beat the original.  But Tom made it fun to watch!

• Useful 4
  • Love 17
49 minutes ago, springtime said:
On 9/11/2020 at 5:11 PM, Kromm said:

I loved his old TV show in Boston

I was in the audience for “People Are Talking” a couple of times in high school because my aunt worked at WBZ. Tom Bergeron was always so nice to the audience, and pretty funny.

B274F653-9642-41BD-9EC3-8687CCFB8DA9.jpeg

• Love 9
On 8/30/2020 at 9:36 AM, Toonces464 said:

Do I think ratings will improve because of everyone being home? No, not really. Most people are home on weeknights whether or not there's a pandemic going on. There are also too many other options out there for people to watch thanks to streaming. I've got a list a mile long of things to watch once I'm done with Schitt's Creek.

Apparently ratings are up after all. I was one of those who was busier during weeknights prior to covid. I was often at a dance class, occasionally met up with a friend for dinner, went to the movies, etc. I'm not doing any of those things anymore. Normally when I'd catch DWTS, it would be days after it aired, if I got around to watching it at all. I think there are probably more people out there like that than you'd think. I have a lot of friends who've canceled gym memberships, movie theatre memberships, aren't driving to and from work/class, etc. A lot of us have more time on our hands than we did a year ago.

As much as I love Tom and would enjoy watching him on any program, I really prefer him on DWTS, as a ballroom dance fan. There are lots of talent competitions, but only one American ballroom dance show, at least that I know of. I consider it a very special show, and I consider him a very special man. Also, I'm grossed out by all the racism toward the new host. We can be ticked off about a talented host like Tom being fired by no reason, but I think it's cruel how mean some people are being about Tyra. All of this sucks. 😞 

• Love 3
On 9/18/2020 at 12:39 AM, RealHousewife said:

Apparently ratings are up after all.

I think that's because of the lack of other entertainment around.  The show has if not an actual monopoly an enormous advantage at the moment.

Of course that won't stop Tyra from securing the job next season because of the numbers.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Kromm said:

I think that's because of the lack of other entertainment around.  The show has if not an actual monopoly an enormous advantage at the moment.

Of course that won't stop Tyra from securing the job next season because of the numbers.

I mean, that’s why I’m here. I got really bored with how formulaic this show is the last few seasons, but now I’m even more bored with nothing else to do!

The thing that Tyra doesn’t have, that I think would be the hardest about live TV that Tom was good and under appreciated at, is keeping things moving along without seeming like that’s what you’re doing. If producers are telling Tyra to rush she seems like she’s rushing, if they’re telling her to stall she seems like she’s stalling. It’s best not to yell at people, “HURRY HURRY HURRY, we’re running out of time!!” Even if that’s true.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Kromm said:

Oh I absolutely agree! That's what my post was about and exactly what I feared would happen. I knew with more people at home, less entertainment in general, and everyone in need of a feel-good show, the ratings might go up in spite of no Tom. I'm no Tyra hater, but I hate that Tom left when he did. I bet the ratings would have been even higher if he were still hosting. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, tribbles said:

Part of the problem is that Tyra is doing both Tom's and Erin's jobs - that's why they script in questions from her to the contestants after the judging.

The shame of it is Tyra's skillset may actually be closer to the interview bits, because those are less about being the invisible guiding hand and more about kidding around with famous people. So she's qualified for cohosting more than hosting, at least within this show's formula. 

• Love 3
On 8/19/2020 at 4:41 PM, crowceilidh said:

First OF All, I Want Sharna To Go Back To Being A Red Head ! I Can Not Recognize Sharna This Season ! Second, I Do NOT Like Tyra Rushing Derek I Feel Just So Tyra Can Talk More ! Tyra Doesn't Rush Bruno And Tyra Does Not Rush Carrie Ann ! ! ! Tyra STILL Speaks CUTESY ! In A Sultry Voice, We're Live ! Tom Never Said We're Live That Way ! Also, I Liked It Better When ALL Through Out The Night, Tom Would Say The First Person Safe To Come Back Next Week Is OR Later Tom Would Say You're In Jeopardy ! ! Also, I Did Not Like The Way Tyra Would say OW, We're Live The First Week ! Tom Did Not Do That And That IS So Annoying ! I DID Think IT Was SO Annoying When Tyra Kept Rushing Derek  And Unfair Not To Give Derek Time To Talk !

On 8/20/2020 at 5:00 PM, Toonces464 said:

I Hope You Are Right, But They Probably Will Not Do That !

• Love 2
On 8/30/2020 at 9:36 AM, Toonces464 said:

They have the same D-level celebs most people have never heard of. The same pros. The same judges. Whatever changes they make to the format of the show will be driven by COVID-19. I fail to see any "new creative direction" that isn't driven by the social distancing limitations, or how changing the host affects a "new creative direction" for the show.

Bottom line for me is that Andrew Llinares brought in Tyra as EP thinking her name would bring in viewers and bigger celebs, and she insisted on being the solo host. All you have to do is read social media or news story comments to see how much they've pissed off the viewers (well, other than the Val/Jenna/Emma/Sasha/Alan fans) and look at the cast list to see how bad they screwed this up.

My hope is that this season will be such a flaming pile of crap that they fire both Llinares and Tyra next season and bring back Tom and Erin to close the show down. But based on Tom's recent comments, I don't know that he'd even be willing to come back. Certainly not while Llinares is still there. And Erin has so many other things going on that the only way I see her coming back is for Tom.

One Creative Difference Is That The Judges Decide Who Will Go Home ! They Are Doing What America's Got Talent Does ! IF They Tie On America's Got Talent, Then, Who Ever America Took Comes Back And The Other Contestant Goes Home !

On 9/17/2020 at 11:39 PM, RealHousewife said:

Apparently ratings are up after all. I was one of those who was busier during weeknights prior to covid. I was often at a dance class, occasionally met up with a friend for dinner, went to the movies, etc. I'm not doing any of those things anymore. Normally when I'd catch DWTS, it would be days after it aired, if I got around to watching it at all. I think there are probably more people out there like that than you'd think. I have a lot of friends who've canceled gym memberships, movie theatre memberships, aren't driving to and from work/class, etc. A lot of us have more time on our hands than we did a year ago.

As much as I love Tom and would enjoy watching him on any program, I really prefer him on DWTS, as a ballroom dance fan. There are lots of talent competitions, but only one American ballroom dance show, at least that I know of. I consider it a very special show, and I consider him a very special man. Also, I'm grossed out by all the racism toward the new host. We can be ticked off about a talented host like Tom being fired by no reason, but I think it's cruel how mean some people are being about Tyra. All of this sucks. 😞 

I Don't Know, But I Don't Think This is Racism ! I Can NOT Stand Tyra Being Cutesy And Rushing Things And Not Letting Derek Talk So She Can Talk More ! ! ! I Liked IT Better When They Would Spread The Elimination Through Out The Night ! I Think There IS More Suspense That Way !

On 9/25/2020 at 12:44 PM, tribbles said:

that's why they script in questions from her to the contestants after the judging.

I'm not so sure those lame questions are from any script.  It looks like she's making up something (occasionally rude) on the spot.  If there IS a script, then let the dancers be in on any questions so they can be prepared--which they're definitely not.

Tom never needed a script.

• Love 8
On 9/17/2020 at 9:39 PM, RealHousewife said:

Also, I'm grossed out by all the racism toward the new host.

Believe me, Tyra's race has nothing to do with her pathetic hosting "skill."  Her biggest talent has always been making any show she's on all about her.  PLEEZE, Tyra, let a stylist with some taste do your hair.  Let a talented costume designer create ONE outfit for you to wear throughout the show.  This is about the DANCING!  The way you say your lines gives everyone plenty of fodder.  Your costumes/hair can be fixed in no time; at least those complaints could be reduced.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Tom never needed a script.

Tom absolutely used a script. He would interject things here and there but most of what he said for his entire time on the show was scripted. A script keeps the show on track. He needed one. Every host would need one. He was certainly better at making the lines sound natural but he was reading lines.

12 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Believe me, Tyra's race has nothing to do with her pathetic hosting "skill."  Her biggest talent has always been making any show she's on all about her.  PLEEZE, Tyra, let a stylist with some taste do your hair.  Let a talented costume designer create ONE outfit for you to wear throughout the show.  This is about the DANCING!  The way you say your lines gives everyone plenty of fodder.  Your costumes/hair can be fixed in no time; at least those complaints could be reduced.

I think this is highlighted by the fact that Tyra WAS an effective host for a VERY different kind of show. A show that was inherently about her displaying herself front and center. She's a crap host here because it requires the very opposite approach.

Once again I'm shocked by the obtuseness of the ABC/Disney people by not being able to look at the recordings of how bad she was at the Got Talent job. It was clear evidence that in any show with a populist bent, she sucked being a proxy and/or gateway for the viewers. Also keep in mind that her EFFECTIVE hosting on Top Model was not only an inherent "look at me" thing, based on her specific expertise, but also was arguably a relic of a different time. I'm not sure it would even work anymore. The closest example I can think of now is Ru Paul, but Ru is significantly warmer in personality. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

The closest example I can think of now is Ru Paul, but Ru is significantly warmer in personality. 

Exactly...and we can't HELP but look at him.  He has IT!  She does not.  She was also dismal on America's Got Talent ... and apparently had something in her contract that required the camera be ON HER during contestants' performances. It's just irritating.  I can't see that DWTS will survive Covid AND Tyra.

• Love 4

Tom joking about this poorly written  headline which came from a comment from the DWTS producer: "I think that there's a real danger when a show has been on for a long time that the audience almost gets bored of the rhythm of it." 

I smell a producer attempting a pre-emptive CYA move with that inane argument.  I mean the show isn't even doing badly but they're still floating this in case it does later on.  If the show was really stale, changing the judges, a much greater part of the show, made the most sense.  Yes they changed Derek in for Len, but would that really have happened if not for the Pandemic?  Who knows?  

If it ain't broke don't fix it is the saying that makes much more sense than this one about getting "bored of the rhythm". 

They just got lucky. If it wasn't for the Pandemic this could have gone really pear shaped for them.  As it stands, they're probably blessing the fact that nobody has anything else to watch.  

• Love 11
On 11/2/2020 at 8:29 PM, scarlettudor said:

I'm horrified by the loss of Tom Bergeron, the best host on tv.  PLEASE bring him back!

Eek.  Please don't use "loss".  For a moment since I hadn't read the news today, I feared the worst.  Luckily I reread it and saw you also used "back".

• Love 1