Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Elevator Chat

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Make sure you watch the Mapleworth Murders. Funny, stupid, short murder mysteries. Pay attention to all the stuff going on in the background.  12 episodes ~ 9 min each  Originally made for Quibi, now available on the Roku Channel on Roku TVs.

https://www.roku.com/       

If you watch online you may have to sign up for an account, but it is free.

I wanted to make a Thread for this, but I am not sure if they are planning on making any more episodes.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'll check that out!

OMitB reminds me off Trial and Error (gone too soon]. It's got quirky characters, somewhat famous cast and cameos and is loosely based on other source material -- In Trial and Error it's the Staircase, which if you haven't seen that I highly recommend. It's less serious and some might not like the quirky comedic tone, but it's got a Murder Board that puts OMitB suspect board to shame.

Available on Amazon Prime. Maybe some other places, too but I bought it after it came out so that's as far as I looked.

Did anybody catch Martin, Short, and Gomez on Late Night with Stephen Colbert?  Awkward as it could be.  Steve Martin & Martin Short are great together, but Selena Gomez looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there.

• Love 1

I watched it and agree. I cringed when Martin Short went to casually put his left arm up on the couch behind (but not around Gomez] and removed it like he just touched a hot stove. The arm thing is common for talk show guests and later in the interview, Steve Martin does it towards Short and it just is what it is.

But so many other signs she is not pleased to be there or part of the show. Sad really.

4 minutes ago, Kath94 said:

Did anybody catch Martin, Short, and Gomez on Late Night with Stephen Colbert?  Awkward as it could be.  Steve Martin & Martin Short are great together, but Selena Gomez looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there.

Answering in the Media thread: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/110605-only-murders-in-the-building-media/?do=findComment&comment=6996228

@grandmabegum, I saw the arm thing too. Maybe mention it in the Media thread↑ too?

OK, this is an odd question, that doesn't really fit anywhere else...  In one of the episodes it's mentioned that Zoe's family owned the entire 11th floor.  How does that work in a building that is essentially a square donut (with the courtyard in the middle)?  I'm just trying to figure out how you lay out a "home" in that type of configuration.  And considering the building takes up an entire city block, what's the square footage on something like that???

Yeah, these are the weird things I think about in shows with phenomenal real estate...

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

OK, this is an odd question, that doesn't really fit anywhere else...  In one of the episodes it's mentioned that Zoe's family owned the entire 11th floor.  How does that work in a building that is essentially a square donut (with the courtyard in the middle)?  I'm just trying to figure out how you lay out a "home" in that type of configuration.  And considering the building takes up an entire city block, what's the square footage on something like that???

Yeah, these are the weird things I think about in shows with phenomenal real estate...

Let's see about some of the easier questions, most of these answers are just me guessing:

Belnord square footage: 25,000 square feet

The Belnord at 225 W. 86th St. is a 12 story condo building in Upper West Side. It was built in 1908 and has 213 units. Most units have from 1-6 bedrooms. That means there would be about 18 units per floor if all the floors had the same number of units, but I am thinking there would be fewer on the ground floor. If there were no units on the ground floor that would make about 20 units per floor. I would assume each side of the build would have the same number of apartments which would on average be around 5. The number of apartments per floor might vary based on the sizes of apartment.  I do not know how the hallways go but it seems like there isn't one, and two or more apartments share a common lobby/elevator/stairs for residents and also share a sometimes different common lobby for servants. The apartments stretch from the Street side to the Courtyard side. The apartments that are on the corners of the building are probably the least desirable since I don't think they have a Courtyard view due to the lobbies always being in the corners of the building.

This suggests there would be little reason for people in the building to know each other since they all have separate entrances that can only be accessed by one or two elevators or stairs.

The 6 bedroom/5.5 bath is 4,493 square feet and worth $12,220,000.00 or $40,953 per month for 30 years. The 5 bedroom/4.5 bath is 3,949 square feet. The 4 bedroom/4.5 bath is 3,665 square feet. The 3 bedroom/3.5 bath is 2,445 square feet.  The 2 bedroom/2.5 bath is 1,610 square feet.

Here is a 4 bedroom/4 bath on the 11th floor, the dark colored apartment on the smaller Belnord map corresponds to the larger diagram. It appears there are 4 apartments per side on this particular floor.

2018_08_30_03_36_57_1103.jpg

Here is a 3 bedroom/4 bath on the 9th floor, the dark colored apartment on the smaller Belnord map corresponds to the larger diagram. This is a corner apartment that has no view of the Courtyard.2020_10_26_06_31_36_901e.jpg

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 9/20/2021 at 2:54 AM, AnimeMania said:

The Belnord at 225 W. 86th St. is a 12 story condo building in Upper West Side. It was built in 1908 and has 213 units. Most units have from 1-6 bedrooms. That means there would be about 18 units per floor if all the floors had the same number of units, but I am thinking there would be fewer on the ground floor. If there were no units on the ground floor that would make about 20 units per floor. I would assume each side of the build would have the same number of apartments which would on average be around 5. The number of apartments per floor might vary based on the sizes of apartment.  I do not know how the hallways go but it seems like there isn't one, and two or more apartments share a common lobby/elevator/stairs for residents and also share a sometimes different common lobby for servants. The apartments stretch from the Street side to the Courtyard side. The apartments that are on the corners of the building are probably the least desirable since I don't think they have a Courtyard view due to the lobbies always being in the corners of the building.

In many of these pre-war buildings the ground floor units are rented out for commercial use (mostly doctors and dentists offices). I'm not sure if that is true in the real Belnord or not, but its very much standard in similar buildings in this neighborhood. My dentist is in a ground floor unit on the building across the street from the Dakota (where John Lennon lived) and my doctor is in a ground floor unit in a building on Central Park West in the 60's. Some of those offices have direct street access so that patients don't have to mix with tenants, while in others, you have to go into the lobby and have the doorman announce you before you can enter.

• Useful 3
39 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

In many of these pre-war buildings the ground floor units are rented out for commercial use (mostly doctors and dentists offices). I'm not sure if that is true in the real Belnord or not, but its very much standard in similar buildings in this neighborhood. My dentist is in a ground floor unit on the building across the street from the Dakota (where John Lennon lived) and my doctor is in a ground floor unit in a building on Central Park West in the 60's. Some of those offices have direct street access so that patients don't have to mix with tenants, while in others, you have to go into the lobby and have the doorman announce you before you can enter.

If I'm interpreting Google Maps correctly (goo.gl/maps/y747sBHLSjTKuqL28), the corporate offices of The American Maze Co. may be on the ground floor of the Belnord/Arconia.
The American Maze Company seems like good fodder for season 2: americanmaze.com/about-the-american-maze
(pun of "fodder" not intended, but enjoyed nonetheless)

image.thumb.png.87661e8815d9509903d5e31deaa857bf.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

...as well as a dentist

image.png.f82e9b443a17477fdd7bdd0a1c441bd0.png

and a CVS --open 24 hours, so a good spot for drama
--although the image is from 2017, so maybe none of these are currently in business at the Arconia/Belnord 
--especially the corn maze company pictured and linked above.

image.png.a4b2db7f3ab760c79654b5fe43503921.png

But, ooo! Look! 

Garbage bags!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1

Stream Selena + Chef Season 3 on October 28 on HBO Max.

She's back and she's blonde! Hope you've practiced your knife skills, because Selena Gomez is serving up a whole new season. Joined by a slate of all-star chefs, they'll make the *ultimate* recipes: seafood fit for a soirée, South Indian brunches, liquid nitrogen ice cream, and even her favorite meal yet (any guesses what it is?)

This clip makes Selena Gomez seem in real life exactly like her character in "Only Murders In The Building".

Does this show drop on Hulu at Midnight Eastern time or is it 3:00 a.m. Eastern, a la the M.O. of its sister streamer, Disney+?

To this point, I've been watching at my own convenience, but I want to see the finale ASAP!

23 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Does this show drop on Hulu at Midnight Eastern time or is it 3:00 a.m. Eastern, a la the M.O. of its sister streamer, Disney+?

To this point, I've been watching at my own convenience, but I want to see the finale ASAP!

It has been dropping at midnight Eastern for the past shows. 

• Love 1

There is another comedy (murder?) mystery show about to start soon (January 28) on Netflix called "The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window". Visit the thread for more information, hope to see you there. Here is a little taste:

I'm incensed. I've started rewatching the show to prepare for the season 3 debut and Hulu has cut parts from the show, as happens with other shows when rebroadcast, to fit in ads. Gosh darn it. It's a streaming service. They don't have to worry about timeframes. They could add 10 minutes of commercials at my membership tier, extend the running time, and still give me the entire episode. 

Had anyone else noticed this? 

A quick Google search found a number of references and Reddit pages complaining about Hulu clipping up shows. Hulu swears they broadcast them exactly as given to them by the studios that produce them, but don't they produce OMITB?  

I guess I'll have to wait and buy the DVDs, if such a thing exists, to see the shows in their entirety. GAH. 

Edited by cardigirl
5 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I'm incensed. I've started rewatching the show to prepare for the season 3 debut and Hulu has cut parts from the show, as happens with other shows when rebroadcast, to fit in ads. Gosh darn it. It's a streaming service. They don't have to worry about timeframes. They could add 10 minutes of commercials at my membership tier, extend the running time, and still give me the entire episode. 

Are you saying they're cutting out parts within scenes, or just cutting the ends of scenes to allow for commercials? I have ad free Hulu and I've always noticed that they clearly end scenes a certain way so they can cut to commercials for the ad-tier subscribers, but I just never saw the ads because of my subscription plan.

Or are you recalling specific parts from the show that just don't exist on the rewatch?

54 minutes ago, Abra said:

Are you saying they're cutting out parts within scenes, or just cutting the ends of scenes to allow for commercials? I have ad free Hulu and I've always noticed that they clearly end scenes a certain way so they can cut to commercials for the ad-tier subscribers, but I just never saw the ads because of my subscription plan.

Or are you recalling specific parts from the show that just don't exist on the rewatch?

I'm recalling specific parts of the show that no longer show up in the episode. Some of them are small, but informative nonetheless. I re-watched episode 1, season 1, and when Charles makes the omelette the first time, he starts to whisk the eggs, then it cuts to him dumping the omelette. Very choppy, but what is lost is how precise he is with cutting the peppers, etc. There was another part missing that I cannot recall at the moment, but it's frustrating to pay for a service AND watch ads and lose content. /rant