Type keyword(s) to search

Only Murders in the Building Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

♦️SPOILER ALERT!♦️

OMITB Season 3 Reviews:

'Only Murders in the Building' Season 3 Review: A Showstopping Return

Spoiler

The only thing about the season’s plot that stands out as a negative is that it does spend a lot of time going around in circles. Almost the entire first half of the season goes by without any really solid leads. However, things do get progressively more interesting from that point onward.

Season 3 carries a lot more emotional weight and personal drama than previous seasons, and it can at times feel as if the mystery is taking a back seat to that. It’s a good thing we’ve got such a great cast to anchor the series.

There are also two delightful cameos, one by a certain Broadway legend and the other by a comedy icon. The talent in this season is sizzling and at least one nomination in future awards seems likely.

REVIEW: Only Murders in the Building's Third Season Brings Intrigue and Wit

Spoiler

There's a somewhat cheap fake-out in the first episode to ensure that this season's murder qualifies as occurring in the building, but otherwise, Only Murders in the Building remains elegant and witty, methodically doling out clues about its central killing.

One of the funniest aspects of Only Murders in the Building's first two seasons was the show's skewering of true-crime podcasts, but that element is toned down this season as the characters are preoccupied with other endeavors. There isn't any actual podcasting until the seventh episode of the 10-episode season, although there is plenty of investigating.

Michael Cyril Creighton gets added to the main cast as fussy Arconia resident Howard Morris, who becomes Oliver's assistant and proves to be both a hindrance and an asset, as before.

Only Murders in the Building, season 3, review: star-packed and delectably unserious

Spoiler

Perhaps the oddest lacuna in this year’s case is the police. For about two thirds of the series the NYPD are entirely absent, yet a famous man has been very publicly murdered.

Only Murders In The Building Season 3 Review: Murder Mystery Is Still A Winner

Spoiler

The play has the added advantage of ensuring the many characters involved in Only Murders in the Building season 3 have a true purpose within the plot. Newcomers like Streep, Ashley Park, and Jesse Williams all having established ties to Oliver's struggling production. 

The production also adds new layers to the core trio's dynamics. With Charles and Oliver both consumed with the show, Mabel is left to be the driving force behind the investigation, and this leads to cracks in their friendship. Episode 8, the last one sent for review, features some major plot developments that set up season 3's endgame in a thrilling way.

'Only Murders in the Building' Season 3 review: All the world's a stage

Spoiler

Mabel hasn't seen Charles and Oliver as much while they've been working on Death Rattle, meaning that two points of this triangle are closer than ever, while the third feels left out. As their rehearsals and personal drama move farther away from Mabel's orbit, she turns to some unexpected allies, causing major strife between our core three in the process.

Only Murders in the Building fully unleashes the fun of theatre this season. Panic during rehearsals leads to surreal interludes where Charles undergoes an out-of-body experience. Demanding actors get far too deep into their characters, much to Oliver's chagrin. Even more Broadway legends make cameos this season — sometimes even playing themselves.

‘Only Murders In The Building’ season three review: another killer comedy whodunnit

Spoiler

Meryl Streep is cast as a theatre newbie whose backstory and methods cause suspicion, and the loutish role of Ben Glenroy allows Rudd a rare opportunity to act the douche. Both characters are predictably not to be taken at face value, however.

Only Murders in the Building Season 3: Episodes 1-8 Review

Spoiler

There’s not enough time spent on solving the mystery at the center of season 3 of Hulu’s Only Murders in the Building, leaving the characters disconnected and pursuing thinly developed relationship plots. While the show still delivers some strong performances from this season’s guest stars Paul Rudd and Meryl Streep, it’s lost sight of what made the first two seasons of the true-crime spoof so compelling.

Only Murders In The Building Season 3 Review: The Show Must Go On With Some Novel Twists

Spoiler

If anyone stands out this season, it's Short, who's long been one of the funniest people working in Hollywood, but has depth and range beyond that as evidenced in his work this season. There's always the chance that "Only Murders in the Building" won't stick the landing in its third season, but for its bulk, it's starting out pretty strong.

‘Only Murders In The Building’ Review: Season 3 Is Funny Again & Rents Out Space To Fantastic Guest Stars

Spoiler

While Short may stand out in season three, that’s no criticism of Martin, who remains perfectly committed to this increasingly rich character. Charles is also in Oliver’s show, and Martin gets to have some serious fun playing a guy who isn’t used to the instant stress level of the stage. There’s a recurring mid-season bit about Oliver basically having an out-of-body experience every time the pressure gets too high for him. That’s phenomenal. He also gets a nice arc by finally dating long-time friend Joy, played by the always-excellent Martin.

Only Murders in the Building 3 ****

⚠️[THERE'S A SPOILER FOR S03/E01 IN THIS ARTICLE]⚠️

Spoiler

If Rudd gives a terrific, self-effecting turn as an ego-maniac actor, Streep pushes things even further with her character, a walking encyclopaedia of acting neurosis that must have been a joy to create. Hearing her questionable gift of accents, or her nervousness at a read-through offers something of a comic tour-de-force, and allow Streep to make plentiful fun of herself and her profession.

Only Murders in the Building shows no signs of running out of ideas here; they make, break and bend their own rules, while still finding time for character work from Tina Fey, Jane Lynch, Jesse Williams and more.

‘Only Murders in the Building’ Season 3 (Review)

Spoiler

The first four episodes of the show are messy, unfocused and signal a huge change in direction for how this season will unfold – there’s no podcast for many, many episodes. In fact, a large portion of the eight episodes I watched had significant periods where our main three didn’t interact with one another. In doing this, showrunner John Hoffman forgets what made Seasons 1 and 2 so good in the first place.

There is a very specific costuming choice that the show makes for a character and it may be the best part of the entire season so far. It’s superb and made the show feel like home.

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Thanks 1

I can't wait!

I think Streep playing a bad actress will be so much fun. I'd add that she's a mighty upgrade to previous guest stars but that would be the understatement of the year.

• Like 2

Has the timing of episode releases been stated?  Looks like Eps 1 and 2 are coming out at the same time.  Then is it one a week after that?  I hope so.  I like to savor new programs, and my binge will power ends at just doing one episode a day when things are dumped all at once.  (And that normally breaks down by the last 2-3 episodes, when I binge them all together.)

On 8/3/2023 at 11:40 AM, chaifan said:

Has the timing of episode releases been stated?  Looks like Eps 1 and 2 are coming out at the same time.  Then is it one a week after that?  I hope so.  I like to savor new programs, and my binge will power ends at just doing one episode a day when things are dumped all at once.  (And that normally breaks down by the last 2-3 episodes, when I binge them all together.)

Yes, and thanks @chaifan, for pointing it out: 
Note 
There may or may not be Spoilers in these Hollywood Reporter and Tom’s Guide articles; I did not read them except for these quotes: 

“Only Murders in the Building season three premieres on Hulu Aug. 8 with two episodes, followed by a new episode weekly until the Oct. 3 finale” (hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/only-murders-in-the-building-season-3-recap-what-to-know-1235548197).

“Only Murders in the Building season 3 premieres with two episodes on Tuesday (Aug. 8) at 12 a.m. ET / 9 p.m. PT…” (tomsguide.com/news/how-to-watch-only-murders-in-the-building-season-3-release-date-time-and-more.).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
On 9/8/2021 at 12:52 PM, shapeshifter said:

If you've used up all of your free NY Times articles in all of your browsers for the month (I think it's 4 or 5, so twice that if you use 2 browsers), and if you are comfortable messaging me an email address, I can send you one of the 5 "gift" article links I get to send every month --which I never use up.

I was going to quote the most interesting parts of the article here, but they grew to be too great of a proportion of the article to not violate copyright. 🙃

ETA:
Here's one bit:

This^ could make an interesting inspiration for a character.

Late to the party catching up on this show.  Fun fact:  The guy who pays no rent at the Belnord is a distant cousin of mine.  Yes the Belnord is legendary, first when it was on the worst landlords' list and then now as part of the show.  The apartments are amazing.

BTW, @shapeshifter you can gift the NYT links to this forum.  I have done it. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Sneak peek of OMITB set for S3!

This is very informative and the level of detail is interesting. ❤️

There are some Easter eggs too, plus some tidbits on Loretta.

Spoiler

Loretta has been a gift wrapper at Macy's for most of her adult life.

Spoiler

Look at the handwriting, does it look familiar?

Letter from Ben's Mom - AD vid.jpg

Touring The Set Of ‘Only Murders in the Building’ Season 3 | Set Tour | Architectural Digest

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Like 2

I don't know that it's garbage. There are things he does that crack me up, and other things that make me sad to see, i.e., that's just too much, kind of like Jerry Lewis (who Martin did a sketch as, mentioned in the article). 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't know that it's garbage. There are things he does that crack me up, and other things that make me sad to see, i.e., that's just too much, kind of like Jerry Lewis (who Martin did a sketch as, mentioned in the article). 

I agree.  I like him in OMITB, but that's it.  Same with Steve Martin.  I started watching a performance of their joint traveling show (don't remember what service it was on) and stopped halfway through.  I just don't find the majority of their comedy funny.  Same thing when Short's a talk show guest, his jokes seem mean-spirited and unfunny to me.

I had serious doubts about OMITB when news about it came out since I didn't think it was possible I would like anything with Martin and Short in it.  But I already had Hulu for The Handmaids Tale, and the show had terrific reviews, so I took a chance.  And fell in love with it.  

Edited by Quilt Fairy

I will be honest: Short irked the hell out of me and gave me secondhand embarrassment every time I saw him before this role, and will most likely return to that status after this role. I am not saying I thought he was a bad person, but I hated his schtick.

I felt that way about the beloved but frenetic Robin Williams. I truly always thought he was a kindhearted man (judging from interviews), but absolutely hated his frenetic energy.

Steve Martin, I have enjoyed old performances from his earlier days. Not all, but many. Although I will say in his special with Short, he (they) come off as what they are: Boomers. Their jokes seemed stale.  So, it just wasn't a show targeted for me. And Short did bounce back to his annoying schtick.

• Like 2

No one's comedy is everyone's cup of tea but I think people are questioning why this guy decided to go after Short because he has the audacity to try hard?  Goes broad? 

Don't like the guy's work?  Fine.  But they invited trouble when they had the audacity to put "we" in the title even though the social media reaction demonstrated that quite a lot of people aren't just tolerating him.  In fact, there are many different favorite versions of Short from his sketch comedy career, his Broadway career, his movie career, his talk show guest career and this current role which is arguably the best work of his career. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Martin Short's annoying, cringe-inducing characters are all part of his shtick.  Either you get it or you don't.  In Martin's case, somehow I get it.  Jerry Lewis's characters were also intentionally annoying and cringe inducing, only in my case I didn't find him all that funny.  People LOVED Jerry Lewis - me not so much but hey, to each his own, right?  No need to put someone down just because his brand of comedy is not your cup of tea.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Martin Short's annoying, cringe-inducing characters are all part of his shtick.  Either you get it or you don't.  In Martin's case, somehow I get it.  Jerry Lewis's characters were also intentionally annoying and cringe inducing, only in my case I didn't find him all that funny.  People LOVED Jerry Lewis - me not so much but hey, to each his own, right?  No need to put someone down just because his brand of comedy is not your cup of tea.

Didn't Jerry Lewis always have a bit where he turned into a suave sophisticate?
Or was that only in a few movies?
I don't know if Martin Short would have ever been able to pull off that persona. 

As a kid, I was charmed by the Frog --> Prince transformations of Jerry Lewis. 
But, in hindsight, it was kind of cruel to those who are perpetually uncool. 
On the third hand, Jerry Lewis ostensibly paid his dues over the many years hosting the Muscular Dystrophy Telethons, but which was not without criticism

Anyway, Martin Short seems to be more making fun of his own non-leading-man physicality, which I suppose makes it okay?

I can't speak to the humor of either, since my own laugh-o-meter is wired differently.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Didn't Jerry Lewis always have a bit where he turned into a suave sophisticate?
Or was that only in a few movies?
I don't know if Martin Short would have ever been able to pull off that persona. 

As a kid, I was charmed by the Frog --> Prince transformations of Jerry Lewis. 
But, in hindsight, it was kind of cruel to those who are perpetually uncool. 
On the third hand, Jerry Lewis ostensibly paid his dues over the many years hosting the Muscular Dystrophy Telethons, but which was not without criticism

Anyway, Martin Short seems to be more making fun of his own non-leading-man physicality, which I suppose makes it okay?

I can't speak to the humor of either, since my own laugh-o-meter is wired differently.

I admit that some of my opinion about Jerry was influenced by the rumors that his non-stage personality was not that nice (to put it mildly), including quotes from a son who said he routinely physically and mentally abused all his kids.  That son later died of an overdose at 45 and Jerry would not pay for his funeral.  Lots of stuff like that.  Clearly he did a lot of good with his telethons but the other stuff leaves a bad mark in my mind, I admit.

In contrast, by pretty much all accounts Martin Short is considered to be a very nice person.  Even the article linked above describes him as "a mostly calm, well adjusted guy".  Other accounts say pretty much the same thing, and all this in spite of a personal life scarred by tragedy, as in losing a brother and his parents by the time he was 20.

Speaking of that article, I think it actually compliments Martin more than it bashes him but I suppose it needed some kind of sensationalistic "hook" to draw people in.  I just have a pet peeve about that kind of thing.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

♦️SPOILER ALERT!♦️

Only Murders in the Building: Season 3 (Original Soundtrack)

Apple Music: LINK

Spotify: LINK

Beware of the spoilery titles!

Spoiler

Only Murders in the Building: Season 3 (Original Soundtrack):

1. Look for the Light
  2. Loretta
  3. Falling
  4. B Glenroy
  5. You Gotta Be F'n Kidding Me
  6. Church Entry
  7. Hashtag Bloody Mabel
  8. Mabel and Ben
  9. Heart Attack
  10. After KT Yelled at Him
  11. White Room
  12. The Very Beginning
  13. Memories Fade
  14. Punched
  15. In Love with Loretta
  16. Baby Elephant Story
  17. Ah, Love
  18. Banish Your Ghosts
  19. White Room, Again
  20. Cake
  21. Tender Ender
  22. Meaning of F Pig
  23. Father of the Bride
  24. Oh, Irene
  25. Arrested
  26. Opening Night
  27. It Was an Accident, Mom
  28. Gives Birth
  29. Another Murder in the Building
  30. Something to Confess

1 hour ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

OMITB X (fka Twitter) has posted this.

That number 3 again!

3 brothers OR 3 killers??! 🤨

SOURCE

X Clues 4.jpg

Bottom left says, “Based on the novel by Chad Kean.” Did Ben/Dickie not actually “create” CoBro, or did the graphic designer who created the poster for the show not know the show detail? Or I guess Ben could have sold the character rights to someone to actually develop the stories.

‘Only Murders in the Building’: Hulu Invites New Yorkers to Partake in Murder Mystery Immersive Activation (EXCLUSIVE)

Guests will be tasked with their personal crime scene investigation journey based on the show. Props and costumes from Season 3 will be on display as evidence.

The experience runs from Sept 22-24 at the United Theater.

Register for tickets - HERE

Only Murders in the Building | Backstage at the Goosebury Event | Hulu

• Like 1

The TVLine Performers of the Week: HONORABLE MENTION: Steve Martin

Anyone who has followed Martin’s career knows he’s musically gifted — have you seen the man play banjo? — yet we still weren’t prepared for the greatness bestowed upon us when he took center stage in Tuesday’s Only Murders and delivered Charles’ patter song, “Which of the Pickwick Triplets Did It.” Martin was, in a word, sublime. The 78-year-old was quick as a whip as he made his way through the increasingly difficult show tune, hitting every accented refrain with just the right amount of fervor. His cadence was flawless, his pitch impeccable. The only crime is that we’ll never get to see him perform it in person on a real Broadway stage.

Charles on Sitzprobe 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

There's a sponsored Playbill article about Death Rattle. It has a virtual Playbill of the show (check out Charles's head shot) and a  Maxime's review of the play. A snippet:

The show was clearly meant to be a star vehicle for Ben Glenroy, who appears to have really tried his best. Honestly. And that’s very sweet, but his “best” unfortunately included several missed lines, three unscripted vulgarities, and two involuntary winks at women in the audience. He’s as wooden as the lighthouse he’s standing on, and unlike most silver screen stars who struggle to scale up for the big stage, Glenroy projected so much that I was showered in spittle (row 10) by the time it was intermission.

Charles-Hayden Savage was more Brazzos than Constable, which would have been fine if he’d had the decency to arrest himself for his godawful performance, including but not limited to, his pants fly being down the entire second act. As far as the rest of the cast goes, Broadway newcomer Loretta Durkin was an underutilized breath of fresh air, but the ensemble seemed just as confused to be there as I was.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Athena said:

There's a sponsored Playbill article about Death Rattle. It has a virtual Playbill of the show (check out Charles's head shot) and a  Maxime's review of the play. A snippet:

Another part implies that Death Rattle is a well-known play:

But anyone with more culture than a vanilla yogurt has probably encountered the play in some form—if not by starring in it at the local elementary school, then in the form of a spoof on television, in film, or by Cate Blanchett opening the Tonys in 2012. Therefore, I assumed—incorrectly—that anyone adapting the show for modern audiences might have something to say. Something unique.

It's not, right? That part was totally made up?

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, secnarf said:

Wait, are you saying you never heard of the original play?

• LOL 3

Death Rattle being some well-known play that has been around for decades does account for the whole changing it to a musical seemingly overnight.  It's old enough for it to be in the public domain, so Oliver could change it without getting the playwright's or playwright's estate's permission. 

I also noticed the original production was 3 hours long.  No wonder Maxime was bored out of her mind.  There's nothing in the plot of the play to warrant that runtime.

3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Death Rattle being some well-known play that has been around for decades does account for the whole changing it to a musical seemingly overnight.  It's old enough for it to be in the public domain, so Oliver could change it without getting the playwright's or playwright's estate's permission. 

I also noticed the original production was 3 hours long.  No wonder Maxime was bored out of her mind.  There's nothing in the plot of the play to warrant that runtime.

Yes it also sounds like something that would have played on the West End. I know many famous plays and people have played on the west end, but frankly about thirty years ago I saw a number of them on tour, and they were pretty forgettable.

12 hours ago, secnarf said:

I think so. Vanilla yogurt is plenty cultured.

32 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

From deux murderers?  Is this confirmation of two murderers? 

It's deuxmurders, not murderers.

Ben was "murdered" twice I suppose.

I am still partial to the two murderers theory, but I don't think this confirms it.

• Useful 1
12 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's a play on DeuxMoi, a gossip account on Instagram and elsewhere.  And there's also an homage to the New Yorker in pic #2.

I realize that.  But it also means two and I know it has been speculated that the person who poisoned the cookies is different from the person who pushed him down the shaft.

Oops, read it too fast.  Thanks secnarf.

Edited by Irlandesa