Type keyword(s) to search

Only Murders in the Building Media

• Start Topic

This is a half-hour comedy series slated to stream on Hulu.

Steve Martin and Martin Short will star in "Only Murders In The Building" from This Is Us creator Dan Fogelman. "The series follows three New Yorkers who find they have a mutual interest in solving true crime – but limit their amateur sleuthing to only murders in their building." The third amateur detective is likely to be a young woman.

Here are some reviews of Hulu's "Only Murders in the Building". Make sure you wait for the show to be released AND you have watched all of the episodes before you read them.

Edited by AnimeMania

This article should answer any questions about the actual building "The Belnord" which is the stand-in for the "The Arconia".

Steve Martin and Friends Attempt to Solve a Suspicious Death at NYC’s The Belnord in ‘Only Murders in the Building’

Outside:

LB-Only-Murders-in-the-Building-The-Beln

The TV Show's Courtyard:

The real Courtyard:

The apartments, hallways and elevators are elaborate sets and look nothing like the condos of the The Belnord.

Here is what The Belnord condos look like on the inside:

The Lobby scenes are from another building on 270 Riverside Dr.

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

This article should answer any questions about the actual building "The Belnord" which is the stand-in for the "The Arconia".

Steve Martin and Friends Attempt to Solve a Suspicious Death at NYC’s The Belnord in ‘Only Murders in the Building’

This↑ "tongue-in-cheek" article from Dirt, cites a NY Times article that gives more details about the varied rent structures of the building's tenants. These varied financial histories of the apartments in the building help define the different archetypes of characters in the show, and give further insight for those of us not living in Manhattan.

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This↑ "tongue-in-cheek" article from Dirt, cites a NY Times article that gives more details about the varied rent structures of the building's tenants. These varied financial histories of the apartments in the building help define the different archetypes of characters in the show, and give further insight for those of us not living in Manhattan.

You have to pay to see the NY Times article.

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

You have to pay to see the NY Times article.

If you've used up all of your free NY Times articles in all of your browsers for the month (I think it's 4 or 5, so twice that if you use 2 browsers), and if you are comfortable messaging me an email address, I can send you one of the 5 "gift" article links I get to send every month --which I never use up.

I was going to quote the most interesting parts of the article here, but they grew to be too great of a proportion of the article to not violate copyright. 🙃

ETA:
Here's one bit:

Yet, in the same building, there are dozens of people living in rent-controlled or rent-stabilized apartments, and there is at least one tenant who pays no rent at all. In exchange, that longtime resident gave up a rent-controlled apartment elsewhere in the building that had nearly a dozen rooms.

This^ could make an interesting inspiration for a character.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
On 9/6/2021 at 10:35 PM, grandmabegum said:

The trio is scheduled to be on Colbert tomorrow, FYI

Dragged over from the Small Talk thread:

34 minutes ago, Kath94 said:

Did anybody catch Martin, Short, and Gomez on Late Night with Stephen Colbert?  Awkward as it could be.  Steve Martin & Martin Short are great together, but Selena Gomez looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there.

This was discussed on the Colbert thread.

My replies (which quote the others' comments) are here: 
forums.primetimer.com/topic/121772-lssc-season-seven-episode-talk/?do=findComment&comment=6994129

and here: 
forums.primetimer.com/topic/121772-lssc-season-seven-episode-talk/?do=findComment&comment=6994379

Basically, I haven't seen Selena Gomez in interviews enough (ever?) to tell how she felt.
Was she being playfully annoyed with the OGs?
Or did she, as you say, @Kath94, just want "to be anywhere but there"?
Here wonderful smiles are apparently more enigmatic to me than Mona Lisa's.

Edited by shapeshifter

I said this in the Small Talk thread.

"I watched it and agree. I cringed when Martin Short went to casually put his left arm up on the couch behind (but not around Gomez] and removed it like he just touched a hot stove. The arm thing is common for talk show guests and later in the interview, Steve Martin does it towards Short and it just is what it is.

But so many other signs she is not pleased to be there or part of the show. Sad really."

What I didn't say and may be misremembering is Colbert asked her if she knew about Martin and Short before and she was like, not really.

• Useful 1

I did watch The View clip now. In the Colbert interview they talk about how Gomez taught them about WAP and both Martin and Short played along. In The View interview they say that they wanted to teach Gomez how to banjo and she could not have been less interested.

I WANT TO BANJO! PICK ME!

I honestly do not mean to pick on her. I don't know her or her work. I just have a bad taste in my mouth. Probably leftover morning turkey.

2 hours ago, grandmabegum said:

What I didn't say and may be misremembering is Colbert asked her if she knew about Martin and Short before and she was like, not really.

He asked specifically if she knew who Walter Grimley was--a Martin Short character.  She said "no" but she knew Three Amigos and Father of the Bride.  I think, for her age, that makes perfect sense.  She's not going to know the smaller things they have done but is more likely to be familiar with the more successful movies they made.

I didn't see anything weird about their vibes.  They have different personalities.  Steve and Martin are long time comedy performers who perform on these couches.  Selena is not. I don't think it's a surprise she gives off a different energy.

And while they've done quite a few interviews together, they're also splitting them up. Selena did Seth Meyers last night solo.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Steve and Martin are long time comedy performers who perform on these couches.  Selena is not. I don't think it's a surprise she gives off a different energy.

That was my initial interpretation, but there may also be an element of Selena not liking the whole bit of comedians yukking it up on the interview couch. 
I think in time she could grow into it and become comfortable with teasing the likes of Steve Martin and Martin Short right back.
But right now she is still cultivating an image in a brutal world of social media, so she probably doesn't want to do too much ad libbing.
She also has the risk that any joke she makes at their expense will go over their heads, cause them confusion, and land like a lead balloon.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Steve and Martin are long time comedy performers who perform on these couches.  Selena is not. I don't think it's a surprise she gives off a different energy.

That was my initial interpretation, but there may also be an element of Selena not liking the whole bit of comedians yukking it up on the interview couch. 
I think in time she could grow into it and become comfortable with teasing the likes of Steve Martin and Martin Short right back.
But right now she is still cultivating an image in a brutal world of social media, so she probably doesn't want to do too much ad libbing.
She also has the risk that any joke she makes at their expense will go over their heads, cause them confusion, and land like a lead balloon.

Agree with this. I got the sense that Selena is an introvert, whereas Steve and Martin are extroverts (or are great at summoning energy to be "on.") They also have a long friendship together, so they have history and a comfort level with each other that Selena doesn't. Selena also has dealt with and is currently living with a number of health issues, and that can be exhausting. I also know that going back out in public after more than a year of spending most of my time in my apartment or only with family has been extra tiring. I can't imagine what it's like to have to not just go out among people, but be in the public eye, and attempt to be interested in talk show hosts and be interesting and not put your foot in your mouth and do a great job of promoting your latest project.....

There's an interview with her in Elle that people might find interesting.  

This is one of the bits that is specifically about OMITB:

The three of them bonded instantly, their dynamic on set reflecting their playful dynamic onscreen. Gomez, for instance, took it upon herself to educate Martin on certain cultural developments.

“There was a line in the script that said, ‘She’s an OG.’ And Steve walked up and said, ‘Can somebody tell me what OG means?’ ” she says. “I started dying laughing.” On another occasion, she taught him the lyrics to “WAP.” “Steve said, ‘Marty, I just heard new lyrics to “Top Hat and Tails,” ’ ” Short recalls.

Gomez loved working with the older actors. “I got to be in a space with so much wisdom,” she says. “They became my uncles.” Martin echoed the sentiment: “We ended up feeling very close to Selena.”

Edited by Turtle Wexler
Correct grammar is nice.
  • Love 5

Selena Gomez did a a TV Show during quarantine where she is learning to cook in her home from instructions from famous chefs during a video chat. Since she would be pretty much alone for the entirety of the program, I think you would get to see a lot of her true nature. The show was called "Selena + Chef" with two (9 and 10 episode) seasons available on HBO Max. I haven't watched it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Selena Gomez did a a TV Show during quarantine where she is learning to cook in her home from instructions from famous chefs during a video chat. Since she would be pretty much alone for the entirety of the program, I think you would get to see a lot of her true nature. The show was called "Selena + Chef" with two (9 and 10 episode) seasons available on HBO Max. I haven't watched it. 

I’ve watched both seasons.  They hit the second season renewal 2 episodes in because it was so good.  Selena came off as engaging and authentic.  One of the first was with a chef named Ludo, well known as a bit of a a$$hole.  He was yelling at her while she tried to get that swirl stir down with a French omelet.  By 3 episodes in every chef she worked with was like, Ludo? Yikes.  Eyeroll.  But she held herself together and finished that omelet with a smile.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ehh, I'm 46 and while I know who Martin Short is is be hard pressed to name something he was in. I would imagine that Gomez, who is much younger than me, would be weekend less likely to know who he is. I remember Steve Martin mainly from old SNL sketches I've seen and Father of the Bride. 

Martin and Short are from a very different era and have been tested 6 very differently than Gomez by the media so yeah, she's likely going to be much more reserved than them. She's a young Mexican American female who a lot of people only  think of as dating Justin Bieber (regardless of her own accomplishments). I'm not going to fault her for her reserve when compared to two strong personalities such as Martin and Short during media interviews.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

The show got a positive mention by Sarah D. Bunting in the ExtraHotGreat podcast, who led with "It is exactly enough Martin Short."

ETA: there is language in the rest of the podcast, though not in the Only Murders in the Building part.

Thank you, @MisterGlass, for posting the Link With Timestamp (extrahotgreat.com/371?t=2243) to the start of Sarah D. Buntings just 3 minute review of the show in the middle of her 2 hour podcast--for those of us not stuck in our cars for that long. She mentioned a few of the nuggets that we all experienced but seem to have forgotten by the time we posted.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

I'm excited about this, but yes, I couldn't help but wonder how they will manage to sustain the rule of only investigating murders in the building. I've always found British mystery shows amusing for the same reason--I love them!--but, "How come so many people in this idyllic village wind up murdered?"  I mean, I know the Arconia is big, but...

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Turtle Wexler said:

I'm excited about this, but yes, I couldn't help but wonder how they will manage to sustain the rule of only investigating murders in the building. I've always found British mystery shows amusing for the same reason--I love them!--but, "How come so many people in this idyllic village wind up murdered?"  I mean, I know the Arconia is big, but...

They already had another murder that happened at the same time the one they are investigating happened.

41 minutes ago, Turtle Wexler said:

Hrmmm...
Which is bigger?
The Arconia or Cabot Cove?

And very cool about season 2.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 3

Copied from reddit:

Spoiler

"And speaking of silence, one of the episodes of "Only Murders In The Building" - for reasons I won't spoil - runs completely without dialogue. I know of only a few other series in TV history that have attempted almost dialogue-free episodes. There's the famous Hush episode from "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and The Invaders from "The Twilight Zone," a less-famous episode of "Mr. Robot" and a totally obscure episode of "77 Sunset Strip."- reviewer who watched the first 8 episodes."

ETA:

Spoiler

My guess on the silence is it's "narrated" by Nathan Lane's son

Edited by grandmabegum
speculation
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Hrmmm...
Which is bigger?
The Arconia or Cabot Cove?

And very cool about season 2.

Right......the old joke never go to a dinner party with Angela Lansbury./ Jessica Fletcher. 

Glad it's getting another season.  

I love the Newark Newark poster. 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, grandmabegum said:

Media, I guess? Steve Martin is always on the job trying to solve mysteries!

Could be legit too. The rust doesn't look Photoshopped. Too much. Heh.

This one looks like the office, room, and building keys to the campus where I worked until May 2019 in Illinois, so maybe NYU or another such place:

image.png.906dc4997a16c839c0bc7243b91646d8.png

Haha, one of the reply tweets asked if he dusted for prints.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Could be legit too. The rust doesn't look Photoshopped. Too much. Heh.

This one looks like the office, room, and building keys to the campus where I worked until May 2019 in Illinois, so maybe NYU or another such place:

image.png.906dc4997a16c839c0bc7243b91646d8.png

Haha, one of the reply tweets asked if he dusted for prints.

Maybe you should start a podcast…?

• LOL 4