Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Who's the fairest of them all?

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Souris said:

In surprising news, NBC just uncanceled Timeless.

Yeah, I just saw Shawn Ryan's tweet about that, and I could hardly believe it. I am allowed to have some nice things, I guess.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, RadioGirl27 said:

Maybe we can send the Time Team back a few days and unrenew Once ;-)

If we're going to use the Time Team, why not really fix things and go back to midway through season two and fire the showrunners and bring in someone else? Then fix Regina's redemption arc so that it's an actual arc instead of "poof, you're redeemed!" and any reconciliation happening offscreen, lift the ongoing cloud of doom and do more fun adventure stories, and then maybe the ratings wouldn't have sunk so low and it might not have been quite so depressing, and that might have made Jen want to stay longer (plus, with higher ratings, they'd have been able to offer her more money so staying would be more attractive).

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

If we're going to use the Time Team, why not really fix things and go back to midway through season two and fire the showrunners and bring in someone else?

Yeah, even better.

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Not to be nitpicking, but does that have something to do with OUAT?

Nope. But as a Timeless fan who was really bummed by the cancellation news, I'm glad @Souris share the un-cancellation news. :-)

• Love 3
(edited)

A&E on series low ratings this season  (link has season 7 spoilers and this episode spoilers)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/once-a-time-season-7-reboot-explained-1003456

Once did hit a string of series lows in season six. How do you hope to bring new viewers back and broaden the show to those who haven't tuned in before?

Kitsis: You can’t really control ratings. Every year ratings go down and everyone reacts like it’s the first time. I think that though ratings are down, what’s interesting is the fan base continues to be up, so we’ll still trend and all those things. That being said, we feel it’s a great way next year for new viewers to come in and not be burdened with knowing the six years of mythology. You can come in fresh next year, and I think if you like fairytales and you like magic, you should check it out.

Horowitz: The live, next day ratings — we all know they’re becoming more archaic … We’ve been so encouraged that regardless of what numbers are saying, we have an incredible fan base that’s been so passionate all these years. To us, it just feels like a miracle that it’s season seven and we’re working on it. We’re so grateful to the fans who have stuck with us, so that we’re here.

I think my brain is bleeding.   I just can't formulate a response right now... except write a better show.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 5
Just now, Free said:

The fan base is up?   Idk where he's getting that from because OuaT has definitely declined all around.

The fanbase is yelling at them louder and even bad attention is good attention.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

A&E on series low ratings this season  (link has season 7 spoilers and this episode spoilers)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/once-a-time-season-7-reboot-explained-1003456

I think my brain is bleeding.   I just can't formulate a response right now... except write a better show.

I feel like A&E are trapped in some sort of *LA LA LA LA LA Everything is fine* Wish realm. 

Come back to the real world you two. 

• Love 3

Shows in their seventh season do NOT gain viewers. Except in A&E's delusional minds, where people tune in not for the characters but their stellar writing.

• Love 4

I wonder if they're talking about increases in other revenue steams while ratings have decreased. Adam is right -- next-day ratings are becoming archaic. Perfect example is the Variety article about how important streaming is as a factor for renewals this year. http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/upfront-2017-nbc-series-deals-blindspot-taken-blacklist-1202426084/

Then add in a few more factors. Streaming residuals were an important factor in the WGA contract again this year. "Fan reaction" was the reason Timeless got renewed. Once was a big success on iTunes with their musical episode. It seems more and more that networks aren't relying on ratings anymore because ratings aren't a reliable way to really measure an audience anymore.

That all being said, A&E are either delusional a bit about what's going on or are toeing the network line. I guess you have to be extra positive when the network saving your story writing ass.

(edited)
11 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Once did hit a string of series lows in season six. How do you hope to bring new viewers back and broaden the show to those who haven't tuned in before?

Kitsis: You can’t really control ratings. Every year ratings go down and everyone reacts like it’s the first time. I think that though ratings are down, what’s interesting is the fan base continues to be up, so we’ll still trend and all those things. That being said, we feel it’s a great way next year for new viewers to come in and not be burdened with knowing the six years of mythology. You can come in fresh next year, and I think if you like fairytales and you like magic, you should check it out.

Horowitz: The live, next day ratings — we all know they’re becoming more archaic … We’ve been so encouraged that regardless of what numbers are saying, we have an incredible fan base that’s been so passionate all these years. To us, it just feels like a miracle that it’s season seven and we’re working on it. We’re so grateful to the fans who have stuck with us, so that we’re here.

Oh my God I actually feel kind of sorry for them because I think they might actually believe this. I think they see everything from a Twitter perspective and the amount of people yelling at them and angry at them makes them think more people are watching when in reality, they've just made more people angry this season. I've been in the fandom for this show since season 3 and I have definitely noticed less people talking about it especially this season.

If they genuinely believe new viewers are coming in to this show next season, they're more delusional than I thought. Even lots of dedicated fans aren't going to tune in. And if they're so thankful for the fans and their support then why do they want to destroy everything they love about the show?

Edited by superloislane
  • Love 6

It's nice to see the tick up for the finale. It will be interesting to see how it compare to ratings when the show returns. But pretty decent -- looks like it at least best Miss USA. 

(edited)

Half hours 0.891 (0.930 .. 0.872 .. 0.892 .. 0.870)

.891 is exactly tied with NBC's 10 o'clock finale for Shades of Blue.

Edited by jjjmoss
(edited)

Adam claimed in an interview he has been getting good vibes from the network since Thanksgiving.  They sure managed to keep everything under wraps.

Edited by Camera One

The writers are so dismissive of the ratings, but do they recognize that ratings are a reflection on them? 17 million tweets can be sent by a very small number of people using fake accounts and bots, so it gives very little idea of what the actual opinion of your product is. Not to mention a lot of those tweets are from fans that are illegally consuming your product. Ratings count people once. When they fall, it means fewer people are watching. Fewer people watching typically implies unhappy/bored viewers.

What I'd really love to see is the Netflix breakdown of where people quit bingewatching Once. I suspect that many of those 70% that stuck around after episode 6 (these are Netflix numbers) were not still bingeing S4. It would be fascinating to see if the Netflix numbers roughly match the ratings drops from beginning to end of the season (I suspect there is less in season drop off due to the nature of bingeing). 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

The writers are so dismissive of the ratings, but do they recognize that ratings are a reflection on them?

In short, no.

Kitsis: You can’t really control ratings.

• Love 2

Given the ratings at which they renewed Quantico, a S8 of Once is looking more likely. They'll have to lose half their viewers next season to get down to Quantico levels.

• Love 6
(edited)
54 minutes ago, Souris said:

ABC actually renewed Quantico. So that tells you how desperate they are. No wonder they renewed Once.

https://twitter.com/ew/status/864281414061240320

Considering Idol is now in the mix, the pilot season must have truly sucked hard to bring back so many low performing shows.

If they are going to follow the FOX approach of midseason and multiple airings per week then you'd think it would be easier to take the risk of not ordering the back nine on new shows and see if something hits rather than sticking with failing and critically panned shows..

It will be interesting to see what their midseason slate looks like.  I wonder if they are holding any promising dramas back because they don't have anything to launch a show.  Maybe Idol will launch new dramas mid season and they'll kill OUAT or Quantico early depending on how badly they drop next season.

Edited by ParadoxLost
29 minutes ago, Souris said:

Given the ratings at which they renewed Quantico, a S8 of Once is looking more likely. 

Maybe by Season 8 Jennifer will be looking for a steady gig again and can come back full time. (Let me have this dream, okay.)

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Souris said:

ABC actually renewed Quantico. So that tells you how desperate they are. No wonder they renewed Once.

https://twitter.com/ew/status/864281414061240320

Jesus. Maybe OUAT will get a season 8. lol

EDIT: Souris beat me to it. Who knows, I could see a season 9 if Quantico ratings are good enough for renewal.

Perhaps that’s behind why Morrison decided to leave? She said something about being committed to Emma, but not sure for how much longer (as in, she might’ve considered one more season, but not multiple seasons to come). If they told her they were shooting for a S8 or S9, she probably decided to go ahead and go now.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2

Sounds like Quantico may have been saved for a similar reason as Once: not ratings. Looks like the international market in this case. I can't remember past renewals relying as much on not-ratings as this year has. Seems like there are more and more shows being saved by alternative revenue steams. I guess it's a sign of just how bad Nielsen hasn't adapted to the changing market.

Also interesting to note that Quantico is getting a new show runner. But this is after two seasons. If ABC is willing to do it, would they do it for another show?

Well, Once's ratings, again, are non-terrible on the very sliding scale of ABC dramas.

Quantico is...um...a show that got 28% retention from Bachelor, 35% retention from DWTS. Shield got about 82%, Designated 90%, Once was about the same as its lead-in.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:17 PM, ParadoxLost said:

The fanbase is yelling at them louder and even bad attention is good attention.

Except that hasn't stopped the show's decline and certainly hasn't helped ratings, now there's even less motivation with most of the cast gone.

• Love 1
(edited)

Apparently A&E are of the opinion that ratings don't matter and have absolutely nothing to do with the show's quality or its number of viewers.

Given the ratings of some of the shows that were renewed (hello, The Exorcist and Quantico), it seems clear that other revenue sources (like international or streaming sales) are becoming more of a factor compared to the traditional ad revenue. The Netflix and merchandising money for Once must be enough for ABC to want to hang on to that. 

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1
(edited)

In fairness they're bringing back Quantico for 13 episodes, not a full season and replacing the showrunner. That tells me that they're trying desperately to fix it but if they can't there'll be no more.

Other than their main character leaving, half the cast leaving and the fact that the story is over, there's nothing that shocking about Once being renewed with the ratings it has right now. With normal ratings drops, Once could be down to a 0.4 next season and they didn't even renew American Crime at that level and that was winning Emmys. And just for Once to get a season 7, they basically had to cut their budget in half so I'd say there'd be even more scraping for money if they thought about a season 8.

Edited by superloislane
  • Love 1
(edited)

It looks like they are trying to do a Sci-Fi/Fantasy lineup with Once and Inhumans (and presumably Agents of Shield after the Inhumans 8-episode run finishes). I actually think that is a smart move. I feel shows like Once and the Marvel shows are not as dependent on live viewers, but rely more on On-Demand viewers. After all, look at the whole Netflix deal announced with the Once renewal. Also; I feel viewers for these types of genre shows are more likely to follow the shows when they move. They have a more passionate fanbase then someone who casually tunes into a sitcom whenever it suits them and if they miss an episode, doesn't really care.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Love 1

There is precedent for Fridays being a genre night. There was Grimm, and The X-Files ran on Fridays for years before it moved to Sundays. Probably some I'm forgetting, too.

• Love 2
(edited)

From the article SiobhanJW posted above:

“After six seasons, the residents of the enchanted forest face their greatest challenge yet as The Evil Queen, Captain Hook and Rumplestiltskin join forces with a grown up Henry Mills and his daughter Lucy on an epic quest to once again bring hope to their world and ours..."

Wait, wait, WAIT. Does that mean it's the Evil Queen in Season 7? Like, Regina's...elsewhere, I guess...and the focus will be on the EQ?

Edited by asabovesobelow
  • Love 1

Well, I most likely won't be able to watch live on Fridays, but maybe that will be a good thing for me?

6 minutes ago, asabovesobelow said:

WAIT. Does that mean it's the Evil Queen in Season 7? Like, Regina's...elsewhere, I guess...and the focus will be on the EQ?

I don't think it means anything. The Evil Queen is Regina. Captain Hook is Killian Jones. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, asabovesobelow said:

Does that mean it's the Evil Queen in Season 7? Like, Regina's...elsewhere, I guess...and the focus will be on the EQ?

I was initially wondering the same things, but I actually think it's just because this was written for media outlets/upfronts. So they probably didn't think saying "as Regina, Killian and Mr. Gold join forces..." would pack as much punch. 

• Love 2

Calling the charatcers Mr. Gold, Regina Mills, and Killian Jones is not going to attract all the brand new viewers A&E think they'll gain with the reboot.

• Love 2

So the show dropped by a third this season with the same timeslot and the full cast. How far will it drop with a move to Fridays and a fraction of the cast? Maybe they want to make Quantico look like less of a disaster in comparison.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 minutes ago, RadioGirl27 said:

Friday is the day where all networks send old shows to die, I think that shows how little faith they have in the reboot.

Not to mention Inhumans. Bad buzz about that one. It looks like they sacrificed Fridays to try to save Sundays. With Netflix footing the Once season, they don't have to worry about its ad revenue from ratings. Channing's comment about wanting to see how Once does away from football is pretty laughable -- they see that every spring, and Once's numbers go down minus football every spring!

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, asabovesobelow said:

From the article SiobhanJW posted above:

“After six seasons, the residents of the enchanted forest face their greatest challenge yet as The Evil Queen, Captain Hook and Rumplestiltskin join forces with a grown up Henry Mills and his daughter Lucy on an epic quest to once again bring hope to their world and ours..."

Wait, wait, WAIT. Does that mean it's the Evil Queen in Season 7? Like, Regina's...elsewhere, I guess...and the focus will be on the EQ?

It's these kinds of statements that keep me thinking this will be wish realm folks and not Storybrooke folks hence the happy beginnings still intact. There are clues and statements that hint at no Storybrooke at all.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, daxx said:

It's these kinds of statements that keep me thinking this will be wish realm folks and not Storybrooke folks hence the happy beginnings still intact. There are clues and statements that hint at no Storybrooke at all.

I sincerely hope the other guys here who said it's just 'media wording' are right. I cannot even imagine how horrific the series would become if they focus on alternate versions of characters that we've gotten to know for six seasons. It's indulgent and lazy.

• Love 1