Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Who's the fairest of them all?

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, RadioGirl27 said:

I'm just worried that if ABC hasn't made a decision yet, it's going to be too late for Colin and Lana (they seem to be the only ones remaining) and for the crew members to find something new.

According to one of the set stalkers, a lot of the crew have already decided to leave regardless.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am actually of the mind that Jen's announcement confirms renewal. I am sure by now they know what is getting renewed or cancelled as upfronts are next week and all the contract stuff will have to have already been worked out before that, which takes time. I doubt she made the announcement without ABC's blessing, and why would they let a lead actress announce she wasn't coming back, and upsetting the fans who want Emma Swan still in the show, if they were just going to cancel the show in a week? If they were going to cancel they would have just saved themselves the time and grief from people upset by the news and told Jen to not make any announcement. Of course, she could have just gone rogue and done it without their blessing, but she doesn't seem like the type to do that.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Love 3

They also could've made an announcement in this week's teaser that it was the series finale in that case. Thy didn't.

This was orchestrated and controlled by ABC. They had a plan that likely includes Jen's announcement and the response from A&E. I expect an announcement this week on renewal.

That being said, they also may have expected better ratings from the musical so who knows if that and the AI announcement have changed anything. 

• Love 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I am actually of the mind that Jen's announcement confirms renewal. I am sure by now they know what is getting renewed or cancelled as upfronts are next week and all the contract stuff will have to have already been worked out before that, which takes time. I doubt she made the announcement without ABC's blessing, and why would they let a lead actress announce she wasn't coming back, and upsetting the fans who want Emma Swan still in the show, if they were just going to cancel the show in a week? If they were going to cancel they would have just saved themselves the time and grief from people upset by the news and told Jen to not make any announcement. Of course, she could have just gone rogue and done it without their blessing, but she doesn't seem like the type to do that.

Honestly, I'm getting Castle deja vu from all of this. I don't remember all of the specifics but it was announced that Stana wasn't coming back on Castle, along with several other regular cast members and then stating that Nathan would stay on and that the show would be different.  And then a few weeks later ABC cancelled it. 

Maybe Jen felt since her contract is officially up, and didn't resign- she wanted to control the narrative- and wanted to make the announcement herself- regardless of what ABC thought? 

9 minutes ago, sharky said:

They also could've made an announcement in this week's teaser that it was the series finale in that case. Thy didn't.

This was orchestrated and controlled by ABC. They had a plan that likely includes Jen's announcement and the response from A&E. I expect an announcement this week on renewal.

That being said, they also may have expected better ratings from the musical so who knows if that and the AI announcement have changed anything. 

There have been plenty of shows that have been advertised as a "Season Finale" and then don't get renewed. 

I just think it's kinda crappy since the show has been on for so long, that they couldn't of been more straight forward about it. 

Edited by SiobhanJW
  • Love 5

I'm not sure ABC gets a say anymore in what Jen says. They've wrapped filming, so she's out of contract. I'm not sure they even have any more contractual control over her time for publicity purposes (since it sounds like all the finale interviews were done during filming). She can say or do what she likes. So, I doubt her announcement has anything to do with the cancellation or renewal, other than that whatever happens, she won't be involved. It doesn't sound like anyone knows yet for sure what the cancel/renew decision will be, but if they were waiting for the ratings of this episode, it doesn't look good. Even an "event" episode with a lot of publicity couldn't move the needle.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SiobhanJW said:

I just think it's kinda crappy since the show has been on for so long, that they couldn't of been more straight forward about it. 

This is what will annoy me the most if the show is cancelled. They could've just been upfront not just with the viewers, but also the writers that the show was not coming back (or that it was highly unlikely in any case). Instead they played the maybe-maybe not game that, imo, ultimately made the "end" a trainwreck. On top of other story decisions which I've already said I believe are the fault of ABC (Untold Stories being cut, rushed Aladdin story, a full-season arc instead of half-arcs), we got the Emma-might-die storyline that wouldn't have happened if they weren't lead on that they needed to prep for a S7 where Morrison wouldn't follow. I wouldn't even doubt if Rumpel (and his family issues) eating the show in 6B had something to do with ABC, because I always thought it was unlikely Carlyle would return for a S7 and so they wanted to give him a bigger resolution in S6 than other characters.

• Love 4
(edited)

She could have done her own thing, but she doesn't seem like the type to go rogue like that. And Adam and Eddy had an immediate response. Also, I think she would be under contract for media things even if the show ended filming. Again, Jen doesn't seem like the type to go rogue and doesn't seem to have any animosity about the decision.

As for Castle, i would describe that situation using one of my favorite curse words: it was a clusterfuck. They fired people in mid-April and those people went rogue and trashed the network on their way out. Nathan and Stana hated each other. There were factions that were duking it out in social media and traditional media before ABC finally axed the show.

This isn't Castle. There may have been creative difference or contract differences that caused Jen to make this decision. But she doesn't seem like she's leaving on bad terms or is burning bridges or wants to trash her co-workers, especially Colin, on the way out. I think her announcement would've been very different if this were a Castle situation. 

Edited by sharky
spelling
  • Love 1

Matt Mitovich said the announcement about Jen was coming today regardless of whether she posted what she did. Articles had already been written with A&E's quotes.

33 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

This is what will annoy me the most if the show is cancelled. They could've just been upfront not just with the viewers, but also the writers that the show was not coming back (or that it was highly unlikely in any case). Instead they played the maybe-maybe not game that, imo, ultimately made the "end" a trainwreck. On top of other story decisions which I've already said I believe are the fault of ABC (Untold Stories being cut, rushed Aladdin story, a full-season arc instead of half-arcs), we got the Emma-might-die storyline that wouldn't have happened if they weren't lead on that they needed to prep for a S7 where Morrison wouldn't follow. I wouldn't even doubt if Rumpel (and his family issues) eating the show in 6B had something to do with ABC, because I always thought it was unlikely Carlyle would return for a S7 and so they wanted to give him a bigger resolution in S6 than other characters.

The only defense I will offer to ABC is that A & E have squandered the potential of this show before this season. It maybe that they are to blame because they didn't adjust to their bosses wishes.  I've said this before that when you play with other people's money, they expect results.  There really seems to be a disconnect between what we see on the show and the "show" that A & E believe they are telling.

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, SiobhanJW said:

Honestly, I'm getting Castle deja vu from all of this. I don't remember all of the specifics but it was announced that Stana wasn't coming back on Castle, along with several other regular cast members and then stating that Nathan would stay on and that the show would be different.  And then a few weeks later ABC cancelled it. 

Maybe Jen felt since her contract is officially up, and didn't resign- she wanted to control the narrative- and wanted to make the announcement herself- regardless of what ABC thought? 

There have been plenty of shows that have been advertised as a "Season Finale" and then don't get renewed. 

I feel exactly like you do about the Castle deja vu. I think the situation is nearly identical. ABC Studios negotiates with the cast members up to the deadline. In the case of Castle they cut two actress. In the case of OUAT, their lead decided to walk.

Meanwhile, the studio and the showrunners are holding their breath hoping the ABC network will renew their cobbled together remains of a show for a seventh season. I was certain the show was going to be renewed with Morrison, O'Donoghue, Parrilla, and Carlyle on board. I missed the news that Carlyle is out, but that seems to be what I'm picking up here, yes? Now that Morrison's gone, what show is left with Hook, Regina, and new guy? 

• Love 2

I don't know it totally remain me of Castle. The signs were contradictory some cast members, crew and show Runner  were really sure about being renewing untill they were cancelled at the last minute.

And, if nobody hate nobody I have feeling there clique in the cast so yes, BTs can be at play too for some.

(edited)
1 hour ago, General Days said:

I missed the news that Carlyle is out, but that seems to be what I'm picking up here, yes?

We have no way of knowing for sure, but negotiating with Carlyle has reportedly been tricky since he's tired of being a regular on the show by now.

Edited by Inquirer
1 hour ago, Inquirer said:

We have no way of knowing for sure, but negotiating with Carlyle has reportedly been tricky since he's tired of being a regular on the show by now.

According to the articles, Robert and Lana are still unsigned.

4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

They could've just been upfront not just with the viewers, but also the writers that the show was not coming back

I think they were. I don't think Dungey could've been any more upfront than she was back in Jan when she straight up said, A&E pitched a reboot and Once's main stories would be wrapped up. That's exactly what's happening. Pretty obvious ABC told A&E the show wasn't viable anymore at their price point and A&E decided to pitch a cheaper show instead of ending up at the unemployed line. Not that I blame A&E either cause who wants to be unemployed? It sounds like they were pretty on board with a cheaper S7 but were keeping some options open. So what else could Dungey have done? If A&E hadn't pitched a cheaper reboot and decided they were done, 100% they would've announced a series finale. If they weren't open to a possible S7 there's no reason they would keep that under wraps either and act like they were. With 80% of the cast jumping ship, it wouldn't even be their fault! They could just say cast and crew decided it was the end.

I really don't think they made a concrete decision and was keeping it a secret. I think they were still deciding and were coming down on the renew side while still going after American Idol and playing around around with other things.

Robert is done. I've always thought the Vancouver paps had a legit source when they said everyone was done except for Colin and Lana. They said Rebecca and Josh/Ginny straight up told them they were done. They didn't say who told them Jared, Emilie, Robert and JMo were done too but they included them in the "gone" list a long time ago. I don't see why they would lie about the others.

Well Tiger here's hoping your right and the show is cancelled.

Honestly I think there's a big chance it is. That musical was heavily promoted, I think the most promoted thing this season. Even more than Aladdin and it got a drop in the ratings. 

Yeah that doesn't speak well at of a reboot. It's all downhill from here ratings wise, so I hope it's over.

ABC and Disney are probably pissed that the most promoted episode that they spent a lot of money promoting dropped.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, sharky said:

It's hard to figure out what they will do based on ratings alone. The show has an amazing online and social presence but is that enough to save it? Are alternative ways to get revenue like iTunes and streaming enough to give it a boost?

Money from TV is declining (and has since the Tivo) but I think it's still fairly far ahead of online revenue. 

(edited)
23 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Really, with this show, they might be better off truly considering it a spinoff or sequel rather than a reboot of the same series. There would be financial and promotional benefits.

I agree with this. I'd rather see some cheesy spinoff on Freeform than another season of the parent show. "Once Upon a Time in [insert realm here]". I'm really tired of seeing the same characters being dragged out. They weren't built to be stable for long periods of time. They have strong arcs that need to be developed and resolved. That works well in shorter amounts, but not in a season-after-season format. While I adore the OUATIW characters, I'd rather just watch their story play out, instead of seeing the writers beat a dead horse across 100 episodes. The OUAT characters just can't take a backseat to other characters. It doesn't make sense.

I'd like to see OUAT go the Star Trek route, utilizing its vast multiverse to support multiple casts and spinoffs. From what we've seen already, that really works. I just don't think it should be a big attempt to draw in viewers. Smaller and campier like OUATIW would work for me.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

I don't think it will necessarily affect the S7 renewal. They could move Once to another night or even to 10 p.m. on Sundays. But Idol won't start for a good while -- they need to lock down judges and the host (can Seacrest work out the timing to do that AND Live With Kelly and Ryan?) and then hold auditions. So ABC may simply just schedule Once for this one more season as a stopgap they know won't last past that, but it will be filler until Idol comes in.

• Love 3

ITA that it should be a spinoff or sequel. What's bothering me is the possibility that it might be the same show in the same town with the same recurring characters and two or three main characters while the rest are just gone. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

What's bothering me is the possibility that it might be the same show in the same town with the same recurring characters and two or three main characters while the rest are just gone. 

Yeah, this is what bothers me. Hook but no Emma, Rumple but no Belle, Regina but no Henry and Zelena... It means that they are destroying the happy beginnings those characters have fought so hard to get. And, while I can care less about Rumple or Regina, I care about Emma and Hook and I don't want to see their happiness destroyed and I know that others care about Regina and Rumple and I'm sure they don't want to see their happy endings destroyed either.

So, what I would prefer is a spinoff or a sequel with a complete new cast, with some guest appearences of the actual cast to give some context and continuity. 

• Love 6

ABC and the rest of the networks have a huge issue competing against football in the fall on NBC, and ABC would never want to put Idol against that. The speculation is that they are going to start Idol in March so it would be totally logical for them to use Once as a fall show that's counter programming for football and their sacrificial lamb for that spot. Plus, the season would then be similar to the half-season arcs we're used to.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, sharky said:

ABC and the rest of the networks have a huge issue competing against football in the fall on NBC, and ABC would never want to put Idol against that. The speculation is that they are going to start Idol in March so it would be totally logical for them to use Once as a fall show that's counter programming for football and their sacrificial lamb for that spot. Plus, the season would then be similar to the half-season arcs we're used to.

But that makes no sense.  A drama in Fall and suddenly a reality/game show in the Spring?  

Again, I think they're just scrapping all dramas from Sunday night altogether.  If Once is renewed, it will be moved to a different timeslot. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Inquirer said:

But that makes no sense.  A drama in Fall and suddenly a reality/game show in the Spring? 

That's exactly what Fox did with American Idol. In the last few seasons, Idol ran in a spot that was also taken up by shows like Bones, Rosewood and even Empire. Hell, ABC has already been running game shows in place of Once when it's not running new episodes. Why would it stop making sense now?

And from Deadline's story yesterday about JMo's departure:

While down in the ratings, Once remains an important series for ABC with strong Disney DNA and solid DVR and digital play.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, sharky said:

That's exactly what Fox did with American Idol. In the last few seasons, Idol ran in a spot that was also taken up by shows like Bones, Rosewood and even Empire. Hell, ABC has already been running game shows in place of Once when it's not running new episodes. Why would it stop making sense now?

And Fox then bounced Bones all around its schedule. So if the March premiere for Idol holds (which is likely since they'd want to avoid football as well as the February awards shows), Once could start on Sunday and then move or end to make a spot for Idol. Toss Once and some cheap game shows to the NFL Sunday wolves in the fall, then boot them when they're no longer needed to take up airspace. I don't believe for a second that ABC expects Once to last for more than a season; A&E probably do, though.

Honestly, though, ABC would probably do better to just run some Disney movies on Sundays until Idol starts. They get decent ratings and don't cost them anything.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, sharky said:

While down in the ratings, Once remains an important series for ABC with strong Disney DNA and solid DVR and digital play.

That is a blatant falsehood.  "Strong Disney DNA" doesn't amount to much when they handle their Disney properties terribly, as they did with Aladdin, and the DVR and digital play can't be called "solid" since there was an irreversible drop at the end of 5A.  The Deadline article writer is full of it.

Edited by Inquirer
  • Love 1

I feel more mixed about OUAT's fate after both Morrison's departure and the musical ep had disappointing numbers (I really thought it'd at least bump up to a 1.0). I still think it has a good shot at one more season while they test out American Idol in the Spring (OUAT/Match Game/??? in Fall, then Idol/OUAT in Spring), but as has been discussed all year, it could go either way. I can't really see ABC putting comedies at 10 after Idol. I suppose they might try the new Reba/Marc Cherry show there?

As a viewer, I'm not really sure whether to hope it'll survive or not. Of course I'll keep watching until the end (because there's nothing else on TV these days anyway...), but losing not just Zelena, but now Emma, too, has put a huge dent in my interest.

(edited)
35 minutes ago, Souris said:

So if the March premiere for Idol holds (which is likely since they'd want to avoid football as well as the February awards shows), Once could start on Sunday and then move or end to make a spot for Idol. Toss Once and some cheap game shows to the NFL Sunday wolves in the fall, then boot them when they're no longer needed to take up airspace.

Yeah, if Idol starts on Sundays in March, I could see ABC ordering a reduced season from Once. HTGAWM runs 15 episodes a season, and we've seen what A&E can do with a little more focus in a shorter amount of time. So instead of two 12-episode arcs, just make one 16-episode arc from September to February and then bring in Idol.

35 minutes ago, Souris said:

Honestly, though, ABC would probably do better to just run some Disney movies on Sundays until Idol starts. They get decent ratings and don't cost them anything.

Crazy enough, the Masked Scheduler column addressed this a few weeks ago and said it wouldn't be a feasible option for networks to go back to that strategy.

I think it's probably too late to go back to the movie strategy. Cost, promotion and repeatability would all be issues. As always it's about coming up with the signature show and building on it. Finally, it's all about consistency. Looking at last night's numbers you see the established shows in the time period are the better performers.

Plus, any Disney movies have the additional issue that they are already out there. It used to be that Disney would only release an archived movie on VHS or DVD once every seven years "before it goes back in the vault!" But right now, I can rent Tangled from Amazon for $4 and I get it immediately at home -- don't even have to go to Blockbuster for it! Who wants to wait until Sunday to watch a Disney movie that's already being rerun on one of the many Disney channels or streaming on Netflix or can be purchased on Amazon? What makes watching Frozen on ABC on Sunday special if I already watched it twice this weekend on the Disney channel and have it on my iPad and my Kindle and can stream it on my television without those pesky commercials?

Edited by sharky
  • Love 1

They already have a couple of options as stop gaps before AI hits. The Fred Savage/Gervais kid game show would probably be perfect after AFHV. There's also Kyra's Ten Days in the Valley 10-episode miniseries. I think both were thought to be for the summer but obviously they're not on the schedule so they'll have to air sometime. ABC is also in a bidding war for a miniseries reboot of Roseanne. Not sure how that all shakes out for ABC Sundays in terms of fit but they do have stuff in their stock that could air during just the fall.

If they put the kiddie game show after AFHV then Once would have to move to 9pm or 10pm even. I guess the decision there would be, would a 0.6 ish or lower show be acceptable in those slots vs some other alternative? Which also means that they've completely given up during that time and I don't know what Channing is thinking but it seems silly to me to just use any air slots as burn-off. Isn't the point is to try to find something that works vs. giving up? They already spent the big bucks on development season, might as well take a risk.

24 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Idol/OUAT in Spring

I don't think this will ever happen. Whether AI works out or not, ABC is banking on it being big which means it can be used to launch a show. They wouldn't waste it on Once.

I do think Once was set for renewal before they got AI. I wonder why they don't just move it to Freeform. That sounds like it would work out the best.

(edited)
25 minutes ago, sharky said:

Plus, any Disney movies have the additional issue that they are already out there. It used to be that Disney would only release an archived movie on VHS or DVD once every seven years "before it goes back in the vault!" But right now, I can rent Tangled from Amazon for $4 and I get it immediately at home -- don't even have to go to Blockbuster for it! Who wants to wait until Sunday to watch a Disney movie that's already being rerun on one of the many Disney channels or streaming on Netflix or can be purchased on Amazon? What makes watching Frozen on ABC on Sunday special if I already watched it twice this weekend on the Disney channel and have it on my iPad and my Kindle and can stream it on my television without those pesky commercials?

I would have said the same thing, but Frozen did well enough in the ratings (1.7 in the demo!) when they ran it in December that it made me rethink that view. Admittedly it was the network debut, but still.

For whatever reason, whenever I'm channel surfing, I will stop on the channel if I come across Clueless, any of the Harry Potter movies, Legally Blonde, and any of the Hunger Games movies -- even though I own all of them. Even though the channel has commercials. They're good background if I'm vaguely watching while doing something else.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2

Modern Family renewed, Last Man Standing cancelled, Scandal renewed but it will be the final season...and lots of Americal Idol talk.

I wonder how any of this affects Once?

3 minutes ago, Inquirer said:

Modern Family renewed, Last Man Standing cancelled, Scandal renewed but it will be the final season...and lots of Americal Idol talk.

American Idol is the only thing that would effect Once. Seeing as it'll air in it's timeslot come March.

6 minutes ago, Inquirer said:

The Idol talks have been going on for awhile, though I don't know how long. So it may depend on when ABC was reasonably confident that it would get Idol. Are they now scrambling to alter their schedule or has it been penciled in for quite awhile?

Last Man Standing was a bit of a surprise -- even TV Grim Reaper was surprised. Six seasons for it and it didn't get to wrap things up -- and its ratings were higher than Once's. It was not fully ABC-owned, so cost/profits was likely a big factor.

Blackish was also renewed, not surprisingly. 

I don't think they would have released the JMo news if the show were canceled. Unless they wanted people saying "WHEW!" about cancellation instead of getting up in arms about it. Heh, that would be sneaky of them.

• Love 1
(edited)

This is ABC, don't rule anything out.  Never forget the Castle debacle.

Also, the low ratings for the hyped musical episode still might be a factor here.

Edited by Inquirer
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Souris said:

Last Man Standing was a bit of a surprise -- even TV Grim Reaper was surprised. Six seasons for it and it didn't get to wrap things up -- and its ratings were higher than Once's. It was not fully ABC-owned, so cost/profits was likely a big factor.

I know money talks, but that's really disrespectful to fans.  So we shouldn't be surprised at anything with "Once".

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Souris said:

I don't think they would have released the JMo news if the show were canceled. Unless they wanted people saying "WHEW!" about cancellation instead of getting up in arms about it. Heh, that would be sneaky of them.

I believe I read that Jen decided she would release her statement when she did because they got word some other news source was going to leak it and she wanted to be the one to break the news, I'm sure she coordinated it with A&E because they had a statement as well. 

I don't know which way it's going to go. But they might of been waiting to see how the ratings for the musical episode were, especially after such heavy promotion. And then maybe what the word was once Jen announced she was leaving. It seemed to me that the General consensus was that people are not happy Jen isn't going to be back. 

Who the hell knows at this point. All I know is I imagine we will probably find out before the upfronts as these things start coming hard and fast from all Networks. 

• Love 1

Sounds like Last Man Standing had two big factors in its cancellation: contract renewals and not owned by ABC. Once is owned by ABC so that's not an issue. And based on JMo's departure and the potential of others leaving, salaries may not be that much of an issue either.

• Love 1
(edited)

The new guy is cute and good actor I will watch maybe is scene too. But, yea I will watch scene instead of episode now.

Edited by maryle

I feel like the news about Morrison leaving hasn't been as big a deal as what happened with Castle. I think the case with Castle was exacerbated by the fact that the lead wasn't asked back (and because she and the other lead apparently didn't get along, I believe?) and the fans were especially enraged because of how disrespectful it was to the actress.

• Love 2

If I remember correctly they have time to make real petition and two female was basically fired. But the cancellation new happened very late. I just find weird that nothing is being official by now.

I was waiting for the renewal to happen like day!

26 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I feel like the news about Morrison leaving hasn't been as big a deal as what happened with Castle. I think the case with Castle was exacerbated by the fact that the lead wasn't asked back (and because she and the other lead apparently didn't get along, I believe?) and the fans were especially enraged because of how disrespectful it was to the actress.

It was definitely made worse in the case of Castle by the fact that ABC fired two female characters (not just Stana) while re-signing all the male ones. And obviously the fact that it wasn't her choice. All the rumors about the two leads not getting along added to the fans' resentment, because many speculated that Nathan asked for Stana not to be back.

• Love 3