Type keyword(s) to search

Palm Springs (2020)

• Start Topic

Palm Springs is a 2020 American science fiction romantic comedy film directed by Max Barbakow, in his directorial debut. It stars Andy Samberg, Cristin Milioti, Peter Gallagher, and J. K. Simmons, and follows two strangers who meet at a Palm Springs wedding only to get stuck in a time loop.

Just streamed this on Hulu, and it’s definitely my favorite movie experience this year. Its  like if GroundHog Day and Happy Death Day had an adorable baby. 

Both the leads were incredible and you actually rooted for both of them. If you have not seen it yet, just go into it blind.

• Love 12

I watched it last night. Very cute. Cristin Milioti is a treasure, I love her in everything I've seen her in. The dance in the bar was so funny, very Andy Samberg.

It ended and I was like what about Roy, I was so worried! lol. Then they fixed it during the credits but if the goat disappeared from the loop then shouldn't Sarah and Nyles be gone too? Things I probably shouldn't think so much about for a cute romcom.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, festivus said:

I watched it last night. Very cute. Cristin Milioti is a treasure, I love her in everything I've seen her in. The dance in the bar was so funny, very Andy Samberg.

It ended and I was like what about Roy, I was so worried! lol. Then they fixed it during the credits but if the goat disappeared from the loop then shouldn't Sarah and Nyles be gone too? Things I probably shouldn't think so much about for a cute romcom.

I think the after credits scene suggested the whole Multi-verse theory. Sarah and Nyles got out, but their bodies stayed in Roy’s loop version.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

But according to Sarah the goat disappeared from the time loop after she blew it up. So that means that Nyles and Sarah should also have disappeared from the loop after they blew themselves up.

• Love 5
On 7/13/2020 at 9:27 AM, festivus said:

Cristin Milioti was the star and was so good. Samberg was good too. Amazing they can recreate the Groundhog Day story and keep it surprisingly fresh and fun.

• Love 3

We saw this at the drive-in, and I'm so glad that we did. I don't have hulu, and didn't know that we could have downloaded it and streamed it, until I googled it. I needed to get out of the house safely, though, and the weather was perfect for it. A lot of people were there, but it wasn't full. 

I loved it when Sarah said that she would be fine without him. She wasn't mean, she was just honest. I also loved that she was determined to find a way out of there, because I can relate: my life may not be what I'd dreamed of, but it's still mine, and it's important to me. 

• Love 4

I had never heard of this until a YouTube reviewer I watched mentioned it this week, and I checked it out on Hulu.  I haven't watched much of their original programming and I was surprised at just how R-rated this was.

It was a lot of fun!  The lead characters are both very messy and very likeable.  It was a fun twist to see somebody years deep into a time loop encounter someone new in it.  And I'm so glad that Roy got the message - I was worried about that too!

My favorite moment was when she stole the wedding cake to throw him a millionth birthday party and then batted the bride and groom off the top of the cake.

I have a thought about the goat.  In baseline reality, they shouldn't know about the goat because in their first time through they would never have encountered her.  By sending the goat out, they erased their perception of her.  Roy on the other hand saw Nyles because he originally saw Nyles at the wedding.  Nyles on the exit day wasn't in a tux and he wasn't at the wedding.  Roy perceives original Nyles, but not how Nyles later appeared due to the influence of the loop.

Maybe?  I'm still thinking about it.  I don't have a dinosaur theory yet.

• Love 4

I loved it! It was the perfect movie for right now because we're ALL living in a Groundhog Day.

I never thought I'd need to see JK Simmons and Andy Samberg getting coked out and partying together but I did and it was everything!

Hope this leads to bigger roles for Cristin Milioti. She deserved better than what they did with her on HIMYM.

• Love 5

I am really glad that a friend recommended this movie to me, it was a ton of fun! Cristin Milioti and Andy Samberg are both such likable performers, and they had great chemistry. They're dance number was super cute, and I liked seeing their relationship building. Nyles and Sarah were both super messy but also endearing, and I like how they used the whole time loop trope. It was interesting meeting someone already several cycles into the time loop instead of following someone as soon as they enter the time loop, and here we got both, with Nyles already in the despairing nothing matters part of the time loop, while Sarah is just starting. I am especially glad to see Cristin Milioti getting to headline a movie, I am still so salty about how How I Met Your Mother did her so dirty. 

I was wondering if Roy would stay stuck in the loop, and I was releaved at the ending where Sarah apparently told him what to do to get out. I guess there really is some kind of multiverse thing going on, considering he seemed to meet an alternate Nyles who never entered the time loop...or something. Multiverse Theory y'all. 

It would be wild if the dinosaurs were actually in their own time loop since the Jurassic Period, just they never really noticed or cared. 

• Love 2

Just saw this one yesterday. It was a cute and funny movie. Which is really good to have at a time like now. 

Anyhow, I really enjoyed how they focused on the part where they mostly can do whatever they wanted. I did find it a bit distracting that Ray was acting like the hunter from Jamonji (sp) with the way he was chasing Andy Samberg's character around and shooting him without knowing the contention.  Obviously this changes when you find out the story behind that and of course there scene when he apologizes to him.  I loved the ending where you see Andy Samberg's character is normal meaning it worked (which the audience knows as we have seen them on Nov 10th) but he is still stuck there. I think there was however a line where he said he got their message did it work? So clearly it did so now he has the info to escape too. 

On 7/13/2020 at 11:27 AM, festivus said:

That's a good point, I was wondering what would happen to that version of him lol.

• Love 2

Just watched this today after seeing it on an end of the year list for Miloti and Samberg’s performances. Honestly the entire cast was stellar, but Miloti was incredible. Knowing nothing at all about the movie, my gut actually suspected she had slept with her sister’s fiancé before the reveal. I was sad to see that happen and I totally understood her reaction. Loved the ‘don’t fuck this up’ toast at her final appearance at the wedding.

All in all, a great little movie.

• Love 1

So Nyles and Sarah remembered each other, and Sarah remembered Roy, we know because she told him how to get out,  but Nyles didn't remember Roy? Huh? And what happens with Nyles and Misty? 

Edited by SherriAnt
To add a question
15 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

So Nyles and Sarah remembered each other, and Sarah remembered Roy, we know because she told him how to get out,  but Nyles didn't remember Roy? Huh? And what happens with Nyles and Misty

Yeah, I was confused about Nyles not remembering Roy as well. 

Overall, I liked this movie, but I would've liked to know what the deal was with the cave and how Nyles found it. 

On 2/8/2021 at 9:27 AM, Sheenieb said:

Yeah, I was confused about Nyles not remembering Roy as well

I read that scene as Nyles in that bubble universe had been replaced by a Nyles who is unaware of the time loop and thus never met Roy. This made Roy realize that it had actually worked and Nyles and Sarah had escaped.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
On 2/7/2021 at 5:58 PM, SherriAnt said:

So Nyles and Sarah remembered each other, and Sarah remembered Roy, we know because she told him how to get out,  but Nyles didn't remember Roy? Huh? And what happens with Nyles and Misty? 

The Nyles that "doesn't remember him" is who he was before anything happened. That is a version of him that wasn't stuck in the time loop (at least not yet) therefore never met Roy. The version at the end with Sarah in the pool when the family comes home is the version that we have been following throughout the movie (he will know who Roy is). And as soon as Roy escapes too there will be another version of him that doesn't remember the loop either. This I guess exists in a different time frame.

As for the what the characters do afterwards, well I'm sure Nyles dumps his girlfriend who was cheating on him and starts going out with Sarah. Sarah (and the groom) never tell anyone what happened between them and everyone moves on.

• Love 3
On 2/10/2021 at 5:32 PM, blueray said:

The Nyles that "doesn't remember him" is who he was before anything happened. That is a version of him that wasn't stuck in the time loop (at least not yet) therefore never met Roy. The version at the end with Sarah in the pool when the family comes home is the version that we have been following throughout the movie (he will know who Roy is). And as soon as Roy escapes too there will be another version of him that doesn't remember the loop either. This I guess exists in a different time frame.

That is how I read the ending. I saw each loop as like a little bubble universe all set on the same day.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 12/13/2020 at 3:58 AM, saoirse said:

Knowing nothing at all about the movie, my gut actually suspected she had slept with her sister’s fiancé before the reveal.

I was kind of hoping we’d be surprised and that maybe she’d drunkenly come onto him and passed out in his room but that he was ultimately a good guy. It wouldn’t have packed the same punch but at least poor Talla who seems to be a nice enough person and sister wouldn’t have been screwed over.

Glad to see some award love for this little movie. It was really really good. 

• Love 1

Most of the movies I've watched in the last few months were dramas so it was nice to watch a sweet romcom like this that was funny and silly. It still had its heartfelt moments but for the most part it was light and entertaining, which is something I needed!

• Love 2

What did Nana mean when she said to Sarah "Now that you'll be going soon, good luck."? Was she supposed to be aware of the plan somehow or was it an innocuous comment that sounded more meaningful when you know Sarah's plan? 

Since Roy didn't escape with them, it seems possible or likely that when he gets out the versions of Nyles and Sarah in his universe would have no memory of the loop.