Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7: Anticipation and Premonitions

• Start Topic

Season 7 is looming.  Who will return?  Who will fade away to sit on the porch and sip (likely heavily spiked) sweet tea?  What are your hopes for the upcoming season?

Speculate, post your investigative findings, and share your hopes, dreams and fears here.

Note: Spoilers for the season are allowed.  Read at your own risk. 

giphy.gif

• Love 1

All I’ve heard about the new season so far(from a recent Patricia Altchul interview and various online sources):

-Several new folks are on board, such as supposedly a friend or two of Kathryn’s, a buddy of Shep’s, and possibly the owner of that local boutique they love, Gwynn’s.

-Cameron possibly won’t be returning; she hasn’t officially confirmed anything yet and no longer has SC listed on her Instagram. Wouldn’t bother me either way since she was so checked out of the last season anyway. I think she’s over the hoopla of it all and is ready to just live a quiet life as a new mommy now. She probably realizes if she wants to be a respected local socialite eventually, appearing on the show isn’t exactly helping her status.

-Chelsea and Naomie aren’t returning, although Danni is coming back as a friend.

-NO T-Rav/Trashley appearances! Eliza may or may not make an appearance(I’ve read on several gossip sites that she tried to pull a diva move and demanded a raise/higher salary, after which she was then promptly demoted).

-Shep, Craig, Austen, Kathryn had already been filming just before the quarantine; Madison and Patricia will be back too, with appearances by Whitney. 

-According to Patricia, something very awkward and uncomfortable is revealed...can’t imagine what it would be(Whitney finally comes out???!)...

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I don’t think I can abide the casual racism and misogyny that is Southern Charm anymore. I loved this show but looking at from a year 2020 perspective I wonder how I ever could. It’s been my great fortune to spend time in Charleston. The city is beautiful, the food is delicious, and the non-reality show people are truly charming. I love Charleston but it is a city steeped in slavery, racism and prejudice. I don’t think I can watch this show any longer while it ignores Charleston’s enormous part in the lingering racism of this country. For me, it is no longer mindless entertainment but willful ignorance. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Babyfoot said:

I don’t think I can abide the casual racism and misogyny that is Southern Charm anymore.

I am with you. I think I will be cutting a lot of Bravo out of my viewing this coming year. 

• Love 6
On 6/1/2020 at 11:54 AM, Babyfoot said:

I don’t think I can abide the casual racism and misogyny that is Southern Charm anymore. I loved this show but looking at from a year 2020 perspective I wonder how I ever could. It’s been my great fortune to spend time in Charleston. The city is beautiful, the food is delicious, and the non-reality show people are truly charming. I love Charleston but it is a city steeped in slavery, racism and prejudice. I don’t think I can watch this show any longer while it ignores Charleston’s enormous part in the lingering racism of this country. For me, it is no longer mindless entertainment but willful ignorance. 

Agreed, @Babyfoot. I absolutely adored this show for the first 4 seasons; seemed like such a breath of fresh air when it first premiered! I’m a longtime Charleston fan/visitor myself, and as a 5 generation southerner who was getting tired of all the reality show country bumpkin/white trash stereotypes, it was so exciting to see Bravo feature a group of highly educated and upscale Southern society folks in such a beautiful city like Charleston. How quickly that ‘charm’ has unraveled since the show first premiered...given our country’s current issues, the show’s blithe refusal to ever feature any cast members of color and it’s continued focus on excessive white privilege seems fairly tone deaf in retrospect.

I’d grown a bit bored with this show after the past several seasons anyway; between the obviously racist history/backdrop of Charleston, the casual misogyny, not to mention all the disgusting behind-the-scenes behavior of Thomas and Kathryn, and finally with Cameron’s recent last minute departure(along with her thinly-veiled “kiss my ass” farewell Instagram message to the show), I think they need to just stick a fork in this series already because it feels DONE.

Commenters on Bravo and Andy’s Instagram/Twitter accounts already keep mentioning it needs to get cancelled, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they tried to desperately scrape together one last pathetic season of it to round things out. But if shows like “Sex & the City” or “Schitt’s Creek” can bow out while they’re still at the top of their game, then Bravo needs to also learn when it’s time to pull the plug on certain shows, despite their ratings(“Shahs Of Sunset” was absolutely abysmal this season, so let’s hope it goes too).

• Love 7

I’m still shocked that they’ve kept Kathryn on this show since her recent racially insensitive SM outburst. Must be purely out of desperation at this point, since all the other female cast members but Patricia have since fled. Oh and boringassed Danni is filming too; Kathryn must have some serious dirt on her what with the way Danni continues to lick her boots. So far I’ve seen that Leva gal getting the Instagram push lately, so we’ll see how she fares as a new cast member; sure, I’ll still watch this trainwreck despite how especially lame this upcoming season sounds.

I hate how this cast is officially skewing younger now. One of the reasons I enjoyed this show originally was because of the wide age/Socioeconomic range of the cast. Obviously this cast was particularly whitewashed as Hell, so at least we’ll see some diversity moving forward, but it just feels like too little, too late...I still honestly wish they’d just put this show out of its misery and have a Patricia/Michael spin-off with maybe occasional Shep/Craig cameos, but whatever.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

I’m still shocked that they’ve kept Kathryn on this show since her recent racially insensitive SM outburst. Must be purely out of desperation at this point, since all the other female cast members but Patricia have since fled. Oh and boringassed Danni is filming too; Kathryn must have some serious dirt on her what with the way Danni continues to lick her boots. So far I’ve seen that Leva gal getting the Instagram push lately, so we’ll see how she fares as a new cast member; sure, I’ll still watch this trainwreck despite how especially lame this upcoming season sounds.

I hate how this cast is officially skewing younger now. One of the reasons I enjoyed this show originally was because of the wide age/Socioeconomic range of the cast. Obviously this cast was particularly whitewashed as Hell, so at least we’ll see some diversity moving forward, but it just feels like too little, too late...I still honestly wish they’d just put this show out of its misery and have a Patricia/Michael spin-off with maybe occasional Shep/Craig cameos, but whatever.

This show is past its sell-by date for sure. Kathryn has managed to hang on by her fingernails and because she's still one of the stars with drawing power. I'm bummed the other women have left; no interest in the new gals. She and Craig still hold my interest somewhat although I just watch Shep to mostly dislike him and hope Craig scores on him in their ongoing frenemy war. I genuinely miss Whitney -- he was fun to watch, and I'd love to see a Patricia and Michael show. (Get on it, Whitney!) They could do just half an hour like "Don't Be Tardy" (Kim Zolciak and Kroy Bierman + kids) and find enough to entertain us for 8 episodes. 

• Love 6

I'm just not into it anymore.  Once people start marrying off and having babies, I'm no longer interested in their story lines.  

The casual racism and misogyny came from a few specific cast members.  Since season 1, Cameran by contrast has always had a very diverse group of friends outside of the show and I loved seeing that.  I don't agree with plantation cancel culture.  We can't make the future better if we try to erase the past.  To me canceling plantations (and weddings that take place on plantations cough Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively) is like pretending it never happened.  

The city I live in has a beautiful memorial to a slave burial ground that was discovered when they dug up one of the streets for utility work.  The city closed the street to vehicles and pedestrians permanently and it is now a place for reverence, learning and reflection.  They didn't cancel anybody or anything for it either.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
26 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

To me canceling plantations (and weddings that take place on plantations cough Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively) is like pretending it never happened.  

To me choosing that as a place for a major life celebration because it’s “pretty and romantic” is by definition pretending that the horrors that built and sustained those places didn’t happen. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 14
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

To me choosing that as a place for a major life celebration because it’s “pretty and romantic” is by definition pretending that the horrors that built and sustained those places didn’t happen. 

We don’t agree and maybe it’s because of where I am coming from, because my point of reference is a memorial and a fantastic black history trail created by the city that educates everyone on our past. Weddings are allowed at many of the stops on the trail. I don’t really see anything wrong with that. It brings attention to each site and by virtue of events taking place there, more people learn about what happened. To each their own opinion 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

rail created by the city that educates everyone on our past. Weddings are allowed at many of the stops on the trail. I don’t really see anything wrong with that. It brings attention to each site and by virtue of events taking place there, more people learn about what happened. To each their own opinion 🤷🏼‍♀️

Literally in the example you used Ryan Reynolds* stated that it never once occurred to them that the venue that had their wedding at was anything more than a pretty and romantic location and they aren’t alone. Hell a lot of plantation tours refer to slaves as servants and most center the white experience. 

*which is bullshit because they were called out for years on it and Blake doubled down on her lifestyle blog with plantation chic.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
18 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Literally in the example you used Ryan Reynolds* stated that it never once occurred to them that the venue that had their wedding at was anything more than a pretty and romantic location and they aren’t alone. Hell a lot of plantation tours refer to slaves as servants and most center the white experience. 

*which is bullshit because they were called out for years on it and Blake doubled down on her lifestyle blog with plantation chic.

Yes and I think they are complete morons for not educating themselves. That's what they should be embarrassed about. I don't care that they had their wedding at a plantation. I care about the fact that they never took the time to learn about the history of the plantation, and now they're using their previous ignorance as an opportunity to virtue signal. Look how woke we are, we're embarrassed of where we got married. No. They should be embarrassed by their total lack of effort in the first place. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Ha!  Omg same.  F-ing Shep thinks he always wins because of $$.  I love when Craig gets one over on him.

I was so actively rooting for Craig to pass that bar exam and show Shep he could go it on the first try. Thrilled when he did it. 

I liked Shep at first but as the seasons went on I couldn't stomach any longer the casual way he uses women. He's just a South Carolina example of multi-generational wealth, entitlement, and immaturity. I think he's had too much coddling by his mama. I loved how he was seen as a big nothing when he visited L.A. with Whitney. Will we see any growth this season or same old Shep, just a bit longer in the tooth and even less appealing?

Edited by RedHawk
spelling
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

was so actively rooting for Craig to pass that bar exam and show Shep he could go it on the first try. Thrilled when he did it. 

Why? I mean he actively lied to Shep and his other friends about graduating law school and applying to take the bar exam. I mean I don’t like either of them but Shep responding to Craig’s lies seemed pretty normal. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The "moonlight and magnolias" image of the Old South is deeply embedded. Even though about 15 years ago some plantations began to acknowledge the slaves and economic system that had kept the whole thing going. The fashion and decorating world have used "plantation" effectively for a very long time; it's an image that won't easily be altered in the minds of many tourists or locals.

It was shocking the first time I was in an exhibition and read "forced labor" describing the work of the plantation slaves, and then I had to admit that is what it was. Takes a while for us white folks (especially middle aged and older) to chew and then digest that stuff, but some can and will. Others, like the ones aghast at the removal of Confederate statues, still have their eyes and minds tightly shut.

Adding this to bring it back to the show, even the title "Southern Charm" conjures up those images of the gentle South and Miss Scarlett before the war. It's actually quite interesting to see how differently we look at things now than when the show began. There have though always been posters here who pointed out the deep racist undercurrents that were often casually overlooked or outright ignored.

Edited by RedHawk
Added paragraph 3
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Why? I mean he actively lied to Shep and his other friends about graduating law school and applying to take the bar exam. I mean I don’t like either of them but Shep responding to Craig’s lies seemed pretty normal. 

I thought Shep went over the top in his "outrage" at Craig. Craig's lies were wrong but I felt he was redeeming himself by getting signed up, studying, and passing. I don't admire either guy but because Craig was younger and more naive, I gave him that victory. 

• Love 8
On 8/26/2020 at 5:28 PM, RedHawk said:

I loved how he was seen as a big nothing when he visited L.A. with Whitney. Will we see any growth this season or same old Shep, just a bit longer in the tooth and even less appealing?

Shep’s has a girlfriend now since this past February, so it might be interesting to see him finally coupled up on the show and not completely under Cameron’s disapproving/slut-shaming thumb as usual. Or maybe he’s finally just realizing that being an aimless Peter Pan playboy type in his 40’s isn’t cute anymore and decided to settle down with the first gal who could stand his goofy educated redneck schtick for more than a few dates. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/30/2020 at 11:50 PM, Sun-Bun said:

Shep’s has a girlfriend now since this past February, so it might be interesting to see him finally coupled up on the show and not completely under Cameron’s disapproving/slut-shaming thumb as usual. Or maybe he’s finally just realizing that being an aimless Peter Pan playboy type in his 40’s isn’t cute anymore and decided to settle down with the first gal who could stand his goofy educated redneck schtick for more than a few dates. 

How old is she?  She doesn't look like what I would expect, for some reason.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

How old is she?  She doesn't look like what I would expect, for some reason.

Based on her linked in mid to late 20s. She graduated college in 2015 with no work experience prior. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Looks dreadful. Like depressing AF.
And no cute Patricia/Michael scenes?(scanning a postal package for Covid doesn’t count, producers)

All the women being bitchy to each other, including Kathryn denying her white privilege/racist behavior, while all the guys just whine about staying home and quarantining? 

No thanks. Stick and fork into this steaming pile of shit, because it’s done.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Crazydoxielady said:

Boo on Bravo for canceling New Orleans, which had a diverse cast with interesting story lines. This steaming pile of poo justifies Shep and Catherines existence. How disappointing Bravo.

I didn't know that had been confirmed.  I realize it has been an inordinate amount of time since the last season aired, but I really hadn't seen any news about a cancellation.  Too bad if true.

I also wonder how Jeff's rehabilitation/healing is going since that horrible motorcycle wreck.

• Love 2
Just now, SuprSuprElevated said:

Couple of newbies I see. 

Only the dude hasn’t been on before. Leva has been on because she is good friends with Cam and Naomie and Madison was basically a cast member last year. Interesting Danni isn’t pictured she was filming.

Bravo rarely announces cancellations but various cast member have announced NO done. Jeff is still with his girlfriend and still in a wheelchair as of August.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

Yuck, Madison becomes a cast member. I've never seen anyone ride a fake relationship like she had with Austen to a blue checkmark on IG and a starring role on reality TV as fast and furious as she did.

I just came here to post the exact same sentiment. She is the most transparent fame whore I have ever encountered on my TV.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

I just came here to post the exact same sentiment. She is the most transparent fame whore I have ever encountered on my TV.

I wonder though if that was something production was forced to do. With the three women suddenly deciding they're not coming back - four if you count Eliza Limehouse - the show would risk tilting itself to a full-on sausage party. 

There's just something so icky about Madison. I know she isn't the first one to be cast in this show who really doesn't come from a proud long line of SC heritages like Thomas, Shep, Eliza, etc. But there was just something so desperate about her last season trying her hardest to make sure she will be a full cast member this season.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

I wonder though if that was something production was forced to do. With the three women suddenly deciding they're not coming back - four if you count Eliza Limehouse - the show would risk tilting itself to a full-on sausage party. 

I doubt it after all the work she did bringing drama last year.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2020 at 2:41 PM, slowpoked said:

There's just something so icky about Madison. I know she isn't the first one to be cast in this show who really doesn't come from a proud long line of SC heritages like Thomas, Shep, Eliza, etc. But there was just something so desperate about her last season trying her hardest to make sure she will be a full cast member this season.

"Full-on sausage party"! Funny because in the original pitch reel that Whitney made trying to sell the show, it was totally built around Charleston men but the producers told him he needed to add women to the mix. All the seasons later, most of the women jumped ship and it was reverting to the original.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I loved Southern Charm in the early years.  It has not been the same since Thomas departed, lecherous middle aged man that he was/is.  He is a wealthy guy and I enjoyed seeing his life in Charleston.  At least we still have Patricia and her fabulous life.  I will miss  Cameron, but not the others.  So they lost a total of 4 female cast members and are only bringing in 1 full time woman?  I was surprised to see that Shep has a girlfriend.  If she makes appearances on the show it could be interesting.  If he’s settling down, I can’t imaging what his story will be without all the carousing but it could be interesting.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Emmeline said:

I loved Southern Charm in the early years.  It has not been the same since Thomas departed, lecherous middle aged man that he was/is.  He is a wealthy guy and I enjoyed seeing his life in Charleston.  At least we still have Patricia and her fabulous life.  I will miss  Cameron, but not the others.  So they lost a total of 4 female cast members and are only bringing in 1 full time woman?  I was surprised to see that Shep has a girlfriend.  If she makes appearances on the show it could be interesting.  If he’s settling down, I can’t imaging what his story will be without all the carousing but it could be interesting.

Watching the old episodes just makes me nostalgic...remember when we thought T-Rav was just a harmless drunk with Peter Pan issues and a weakness for baby mama drama? Seems so innocent then. Thomas is a horrible person, but I still stand by the fact that he was reality show gold, and the show truly lost its momentum when he left. Ditto Whitney. Shep doesn’t really count because his old money status is of the true non-flaunting/understated variety.
The whole “charm” of this series was getting to see how the wealthy old money of Charleston lives, warts and all. I didn’t start to watch this show just to see the peripheral hangers-on like Craig, Kathryn and Austen gradually become the main breakout stars of it.

I just wish we could see some actual richness back on display, but that left along with Thomas, Whitney, and even eventually Cameron. 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

g the old episodes just makes me nostalgic...remember when we thought T-Rav was just a harmless drunk with Peter Pan issues and a weakness for baby mama drama? Seems so innocent then

Early on he explained with a laugh that his dad refused to acknowledge Lincoln was on the five dollar bill so this show has been trash since jump. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Early on he explained with a laugh that his dad refused to acknowledge Lincoln was on the five dollar bill so this show has been trash since jump. 

Well sure, like I mentioned previously, T-Rav is an awful person, and he just happened to have been raised by an equally awful family. And I’m not saying that this show is any better or more highbrow than the other filth out there. 
But most reality shows are pure trash starring trashy folks anyways...not an excuse, just an explanation. Guess I have an admitted weakness for watching shitty people on shitty reality shows; I blame my early addiction to “Flavor/Rock of Love” for this ongoing issue.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4