Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7: Anticipation and Premonitions

• Start Topic

I caught a few seconds of the watch with Shep and Craig that they are doing, this one include the Toms from VR and it reinforced my decision to not watch these assholes anymore and I remembered to cancel my season pass! 

• Love 8
On 10/2/2020 at 10:16 AM, Sun-Bun said:

Watching the old episodes just makes me nostalgic...remember when we thought T-Rav was just a harmless drunk with Peter Pan issues and a weakness for baby mama drama? Seems so innocent then. Thomas is a horrible person, but I still stand by the fact that he was reality show gold, and the show truly lost its momentum when he left. Ditto Whitney. Shep doesn’t really count because his old money status is of the true non-flaunting/understated variety.
The whole “charm” of this series was getting to see how the wealthy old money of Charleston lives, warts and all. I didn’t start to watch this show just to see the peripheral hangers-on like Craig, Kathryn and Austen gradually become the main breakout stars of it.

I just wish we could see some actual richness back on display, but that left along with Thomas, Whitney, and even eventually Cameron. 

I also miss the old money lifestyle on display, like when we saw Shep’s parents vacation home near Asheville. 

I think the show’s demise was baked in to the original, accidental spark that started its upward trajectory: Kathryn and T-Rav hooking up, having a pregnancy scare, then an actual pregnancy, and also her prior dalliances with other men of the cast. The other cast members had storylines with interesting components for sure, but K&T’s trashy and true reality drove the narrative forward as their relationship evolved and devolved. 

I agree that Thomas was revealed as a horrible human being, and Kathryn not much better, plus they brought TWO kids into their shared dysfunction. It became unpleasant and then infuriating to watch them. Thomas was deservedly fired, yet that ended their soap opera storyline, and the show has never regained that original buzz. 

4 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Ignore this accidental quote box.

Edited by RedHawk
Added a thought
  • Love 8
On 10/3/2020 at 12:48 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

My DVR picked that up. I read the episode description and immediately deleted it. 

This appears to be something that Bravo is doing while it scratches for original programming.  "Watch [old episode] with ________"  No thanks.  I'm sick of the Bravolebrity in-jokes how you're all buddies outside your shows.  And frankly none of the "watchers" are that intelligent.  

• Love 9

This show has become the National Inquirer of reality TV. You see the headlines and photos on the front (teaser commercials) and once you start  thumbing through the  pages you see  it’s  all hype  with very little  story to back up what was  on the front page.

• Love 5

Canceling events at plantations is, to me, being respectful and mindful that the vast majority of its inhabitants lived in enslaved squalor and misery, so why anyone would deem that a 'pretty place' for a celebration is willfully ignoring the past and pretending otherwise. It certainly isn't doing anything to honor those enslaved at that plantation. In fact, if one wanted to use such locales for good purposes, I could see #BLM fundraisers being held there along with historical presentations about the location itself. Or make them into learning museums for future generations, and dont leave out the ugly parts of the history.

As for making a memorial park where a slave burial ground was found, it's an appropriate idea, but it is nowhere near enough to make up for all the shit that black people and all people of color have had to endure, especially in the South.

One thing I've learned since George Floyd was murdered is this: if I'm white and I keep defending my stance, then I'm probably not open to, or willing to learn about the role I have played in perpetuating systemic racism. It isn't pretty to ask if oneself, 'What have I done that might be racist?', but ask we all must! I realize now that watching a show - Southern Charm - that puts white priviledge on a pedestal with nary a person of color on it's cast, along with cast members who post racist comments on social media - is contributing to racism. Do I want to know what happens to these chucklefucks? I do, sort of, if it’s them getting their comeuppance. But since that rarely happens on these shows, I have to ask myself 'do I want to continue watching this shit show, if it means I am contributing to polluting the TV airwaves with racist 'entertainment'? It's not easy to turn away from this train wreck but I'm asking myself which is more important - my personal entertainment, or my integrity. I'm hoping the latter will win and I'll tap out on this show.

If anyone is interested in personal exploration of your own potential racism (even if it's unbeknownst to you at the moment), I highly recommend heading over to @privtoprog on IG and start reading, those ladies are a beacon of learning for white folks.

Edited by gingerella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

So Leva and her husband opened their newest restaurant last night. Although the restaurant staff appeared to be wearing masks, none of the crowd, including SC cast members, were wearing masks in what appeared to be a very crowded venue. I like Leva and want to root for her, but regardless of what the COVID-19 laws are or aren’t in Charleston, this looks reckless and thoughtless to those of us where the pandemic is being taken very seriously. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Babyfoot said:

So Leva and her husband opened their newest restaurant last night. Although the restaurant staff appeared to be wearing masks, none of the crowd, including SC cast members, were wearing masks in what appeared to be a very crowded venue. I like Leva and want to root for her, but regardless of what the COVID-19 laws are or aren’t in Charleston, this looks reckless and thoughtless to those of us where the pandemic is being taken very seriously. 

The mask ordinance law is still in place for South Carolina.  Everyone should be wearing masks.  I live in S.C. and there are A LOT of stubborn people here who refuse to wear them...*shrug*

• Love 2
On 8/26/2020 at 3:17 PM, RedDelicious said:

Yes and I think they are complete morons for not educating themselves. That's what they should be embarrassed about. I don't care that they had their wedding at a plantation. I care about the fact that they never took the time to learn about the history of the plantation, and now they're using their previous ignorance as an opportunity to virtue signal. Look how woke we are, we're embarrassed of where we got married. No. They should be embarrassed by their total lack of effort in the first place. 

i don't know if you've ever seen  4  Weddings on tlc but they've had black brides on the show having their wedding at a plantation which i found strange

On 9/20/2020 at 1:04 PM, cooksdelight said:

I didn’t watch last season and won’t be watching this season. I’ll check in here now and then to see who’s hating who.

I don’t have Bravo on my cable subscription, by divine intervention. Haven’t missed it at all.

but you have been missed!!!  what's happening with JD.  since you and mr big don't join us anymore I miss your 'local' commentary!

• Love 1
On 10/3/2020 at 12:48 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

My DVR picked that up. I read the episode description and immediately deleted it. 

The WORST of this "watch with" had to be Ass-lee and Kathryn watching the Season 5 finale.  I couldn't take it after 5 minutes and Ass-lee was going off on everyone at the party as if she was the final arbiter of class, elegance and style.  Kathryn wasn't much better.  

• Love 4
On October 5, 2020 at 6:25 AM, RedHawk said:

I also miss the old money lifestyle on display, like when we saw Shep’s parents vacation home near Asheville. 

I think the show’s demise was baked in to the original, accidental spark that started its upward trajectory: Kathryn and T-Rav hooking up, having a pregnancy scare, then an actual pregnancy, and also her prior dalliances with other men of the cast. The other cast members had storylines with interesting components for sure, but K&T’s trashy and true reality drove the narrative forward as their relationship evolved and devolved. 

I agree that Thomas was revealed as a horrible human being, and Kathryn not much better, plus they brought TWO kids into their shared dysfunction. It became unpleasant and then infuriating to watch them. Thomas was deservedly fired, yet that ended their soap opera storyline, and the show has never regained that original buzz. 

I cannot help but wonder how Kathryn's lIfe would have turned out (several years ago) if the current cannibas laws were in place? That was what Thomas used to have her children taken away. Slut shaming is one thing, but Thomas stooped lower than all the cast combined when he attempted to assassinate her character, just to "win".

• Love 4
On 11/26/2020 at 12:12 AM, Chalby said:

I cannot help but wonder how Kathryn's lIfe would have turned out (several years ago) if the current cannibas laws were in place? That was what Thomas used to have her children taken away. Slut shaming is one thing, but Thomas stooped lower than all the cast combined when he attempted to assassinate her character, just to "win".

He may have used that, but she abuses more than just weed.  There are screenshots of her texting people, begging for adderall and xanax.  The girl was not suited to have the kids with her during that time.

• Love 5
On 12/4/2020 at 2:24 PM, heatherchandler said:

He may have used that, but she abuses more than just weed.  There are screenshots of her texting people, begging for adderall and xanax.  The girl was not suited to have the kids with her during that time.

Kathryn and Craig were Adderall buddies. He's claimed he kicked his habit. She's never admitted to hers. 

• Love 1
On 12/4/2020 at 11:24 AM, heatherchandler said:

people, begging for adderall and xanax.  The girl was not suited to have the kids with her during that time.

I did not know this, but at the same time she is not the only parent using prescriptions or weed. I can't help but but notice how many people are open about using Xanax for anxiety. I used it once but found I felt like I was doing everything in slow motion. I have a feeling Thomas experiments much worse than Katherine, yet he gets custody without public shaming. I have a feeling she's a good mom who who got caught up in something she was too immature to handle.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:31 PM, Sun-Bun said:

All I’ve heard about the new season so far(from a recent Patricia Altchul interview and various online sources):

-Several new folks are on board, such as supposedly a friend or two of Kathryn’s, a buddy of Shep’s, and possibly the owner of that local boutique they love, Gwynn’s.

-Cameron possibly won’t be returning; she hasn’t officially confirmed anything yet and no longer has SC listed on her Instagram. Wouldn’t bother me either way since she was so checked out of the last season anyway. I think she’s over the hoopla of it all and is ready to just live a quiet life as a new mommy now. She probably realizes if she wants to be a respected local socialite eventually, appearing on the show isn’t exactly helping her status.

-Chelsea and Naomie aren’t returning, although Danni is coming back as

I do not care about Austin, Shep or TRav/Ashley. Naomie and Chelsea were were the ones I liked because they kept it real. I like Madison as well. Pringle is an okay addition.

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 1
On 8/15/2020 at 9:57 AM, Sun-Bun said:

I’m still shocked that they’ve kept Kathryn on this show since her recent racially insensitive SM outburst. Must be purely out of desperation at this point, since all the other female cast members but Patricia have since fled. Oh and boringassed Danni is filming too; Kathryn must have some serious dirt on her what with the way Danni continues to lick her boots. So far I’ve seen that Leva gal getting the Instagram push lately, so we’ll so

I don't mind the cast staying on even after its apparent how racist, sexist, nasty, elitist, etc they are. If we cancel everyone who's an idiot/pariah on tv, what will happen if people forget that this behaviour was accepted just a year ago. Erasing them won't erase the behaviour. We need to keep calling them out on their BS until the penny (hopefully) drops. Btw, I like Danni and at least it looks like she's trying.

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2020 at 11:30 AM, biakbiak said:

To me choosing that as a place for a major life celebration because it’s “pretty and romantic” is by definition pretending that the horrors that built and sustained those places didn’t happen. 

But that is entirely up to the people who choose these locations. Cancel culture is quite new and I don't like it. I need to judge for myself what is unacceptable or discriminatory behaviour. The minute I am told what I should avoid based upon a disgusting history of events is the day I'll rebel against that approach. I have a feeling people who demand items or people be ostracized have a few secrets of their own, but fortunately they're determining where the spotlight should be.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Chalby said:

But that is entirely up to the people who choose these locations. Cancel culture is quite new and I don't like it. I need to judge for myself what is unacceptable or discriminatory behaviour. The minute I am told what I should avoid based upon a disgusting history of events is the day I'll rebel against that approach. I have a feeling people who demand items or people be ostracized have a few secrets of their own, but fortunately they're determining where the spotlight should be.

Have no notion why you quoted my post because it spoke nothing about cancel culture and I pretty certain the famous people referenced, Ryan Renyolds and Blake Lively, haven’t been cancelled. If pointing out the horrors that happened on a plantation and that being a bad omen for celebrating happy events at such a location just because it’s pretty causes you to “rebel”* that’s up to you.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
On 12/26/2020 at 12:33 AM, Chalby said:

I did not know this, but at the same time she is not the only parent using prescriptions or weed. I can't help but but notice how many people are open about using Xanax for anxiety. I used it once but found I felt like I was doing everything in slow motion. I have a feeling Thomas experiments much worse than Katherine, yet he gets custody without public shaming. I have a feeling she's a good mom who who got caught up in something she was too immature to handle.

There are many parents with anxiety issues who are prescribed medication, and I applaud them for seeking help and absolutely think they can be great parents on medication.  

Katherine was obviously abusing adderall and xanax, and having friends beg other friends to get more pills.  That to me is a sign of a serious problem.  I don't think she has been shamed enough.  I don't like her at all, and I do not think she is a good mom, although I do agree she got caught up in something she was too immature to handle.  

• Love 5