Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

That was a good episode. I thought the young actors did a good job matching the older actors' mannerisms. I didn't miss any of the teenagers (nor Kerry Washington, if I'm honest). It makes me sad to think how many women had children they didn't want either because they didn't have a choice or were pressured not to.

• Love 13

Bill:  Three is the same as four.

Elena comes home after being gone one night and he already has her friend there for assistance. I guess it’s not so easy Bill.  

Also this explains Elena’s issues with Izzie, she resented having her and then she was a difficult baby on top of that.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
55 minutes ago, dmc said:

Also this explains Elena’s issues with Izzie, she resented having her and then she was a difficult baby on top of that.  

She was probably a difficult baby because she felt her mother resenting her. 

80s Mia was much more likable than 90s Mia. Still haven't figured out if that is because of Kerry Washington's portrayal though.

Elena's resistance to giving Izzie a pacifier showed her overriding need for control and expecting her children to fall in line. I wonder if her finally giving Izzie a pacifier makes Elena think she is a disappointing mother or Izzie is a disappointing child.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

She was probably a difficult baby because she felt her mother resenting her. 

80s Mia was much more likable than 90s Mia. Still haven't figured out if that is because of Kerry Washington's portrayal though.

Elena's resistance to giving Izzie a pacifier showed her overriding need for control and expecting her children to fall in line. I wonder if her finally giving Izzie a pacifier makes Elena think she is a disappointing mother or Izzie is a disappointing child.

Or she had colic, an allergy, tons of babies are difficult for health reasons...I’m sure Elena thought that was the reason though 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, dmc said:

Or she had colic, an allergy, tons of babies are difficult for health reasons...I’m sure Elena thought that was the reason though 

True.  This did show Elena is ill equipped to handle anything that isn't the picture perfect world she desires.  Having four kids under the age of 5 (?) is tough and there is no shame in asking for help. Bill did just that when he watched them but Elena tried to do it all on her own.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, blondiec0332 said:

True.  This did show Elena is ill equipped to handle anything that isn't the picture perfect world she desires.  Having four kids under the age of 5 (?) is tough and there is no shame in asking for help. Bill did just that when he watched them but Elena tried to do it all on her own.

It’s more acceptable for men to ask for help. Bill lives there with Elena all the time, he should be helping her.  There’s no sense that he is, just you should quit your job and focus on this 100 percent 

• Love 18
(edited)
4 minutes ago, dmc said:

It’s more acceptable for men to ask for help.

And that is why Elena (IMO) is the way she is. She grew up with a mother who expected things to be a certain way and her daughter followed in her footsteps. And now that Elena sees Izzie wanting to be her own person she isn't  handling it well.

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, blondiec0332 said:

And that is why Elena (IMO) is the way she is. She grew up with a mother who expected things to be a certain way and her daughter followed in her footsteps. And now that Elena sees Izzie wanting to be her own person she isn't  handling it well.

Agreed.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Ugh, the 80s wasn't that long ago and women like Elena were being pressured to give up their jobs and keep having babies. Bill and Elena's mother clearly did not respect her job or her ambition and thought she had more worth squeezing out yet another kid than staying at a job that she loved and was passionate about.

As soon as I realized that this was going to be a flashback episode, I got so excited because I was interested to see Elena's and Mia's backstories. The show did a great job casting the younger versions of Elena, Bill, Mia, and Linda. AnnaSophia Robb doesn't look like Reese Witherspoon but she really had Reese's way of speaking down. I don't see much of Kerry Washington in Tiffany Boone's portrayal of Mia, but that's not necessarily a bad thing considering the complaints about KW's mouth acting. I loved TB on The Chi so I'm glad she's still working after that whole fiasco (although I do find it kind of hilarious that she's 31 and playing an 18 year old). And Nicole Beharie! I haven't seen her since Sleepy Hollow so yay!

Poor Mia. I've been in that situation where you see someone who might be a creep and you look around to see if any of the strangers in the vicinity might be the kind to help if things get weird. And just a note to everyone out there, especially men - if you don't want to scare someone and possibly get sprayed with mace, don't be a fucking creep who stares at strangers in public and then follows them.

And of course her parents are so judgmental and concerned with what other people think that they told her not to attend her own brother's funeral.

19 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

She wasn't reluctant to give Izzy a pacifier. Izzy had one but Elena couldn't find it which is why she went to the store to buy another one.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

This week, its flashback time! I've gotten so used to the 90s setting that the 80s flashbacks were kind of a trip. Break Dancing! Reagan! Turn Tables! Coke! AIDS! 80s! 

Really interesting to see how much Elena and Mia, despite living very different lives in very different places, were dealing with some similar issues, like parenthood, dealing with parents that just dont understand, fears for the future. The episode did a pretty good job at going further into the issues that continue to plague Mia and Elena in the future, and shows more that, despite their many differences in background, philosophy, lifestyle, etc. that they are actually quite a bit alike. Both of them clash with their moms, but we know they will go on to make similar mistakes with their own children, both have regrets about many of their life choices, both see their kids as an extension of themselves. Of course, while Mia seemed to take Pearl because she wanted someone else to love her in the wake of her brothers death, Elena seems to rather resent her children, and it kind of seems like she had kids because that what was expected of her, not what she really wanted. I think that both of them struggle to really see their kids as people outside of their relationship to their mothers, which is especially sad considering both of their mothers struggled with understanding them. 

So did the couple Mia was a surrogate for have legal documents signed already with Pearl? I guess thats why Mia is running and why she changed her name (despite also being a well known artist including a self portrait) and why she and Peal practically live out of their car, but...do they need to? I dont know a whole lot about the rights of surrogate mothers, but she could probably have a case. Unless of course she got the money up front and wanted to skip town in case they demanded the money back, which could also be the case. Its weird, A Million Little Things did a story line kind of similar to this with a couple and a young mother who wants to give her baby up for adoption, only for the birth mom to change her mind and keep the baby at the last minute. Oh, and Mia had a mentor who died as well right after her brother who, like all good teachers and mentors, gave Mia cocaine, and hooked up with her. Thats not sketchy or anything.

Young Elena really did feel like a young Elena, an Elena who hasn't totally mastered her "brand" yet (four babies is very different than three!) but young Mia didn't seem quite as Mia. Maybe because she hasn't gotten that angry teeth clinched look that 90s Mia has. I guess living on the run for a decade can do that to a person. It also seems like Elena has always been resentful of Izzy, the baby that she didn't want, who was also a rather difficult baby after Elena already had three little kids. Maybe Izzy picked up on that, even if it was unintentional on Elena's part, and that led her to wanting to rebel? And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon...

I do feel bad for the MacCullahs, its hard enough that Mrs. MacCalluah kept having miscarriages, but her best friend, who doesn't even want more kids, is the most fertile women in Ohio.  

• Love 10
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ugh, the 80s wasn't that long ago and women like Elena were being pressured to give up their jobs and keep having babies. Bill and Elena's mother clearly did not respect her job or her ambition and thought she had more worth squeezing out yet another kid than staying at a job that she loved and was passionate about.

The 8O’s had birth control and abortion. No one forced Elena to have four children back to back.  She was old enough to make sure she wasn’t having unprotected sex once she decided she only wanted three but she didn’t.  But once she decided to have four children reality kicked in. Her job didn’t cover childcare.

She was lucky she married a man who made loads of money and she was able to keep her job plus hire help. 

The two younger actors did a great job imitating the voices of Elena and Mia.  She even got the annoying mouth twists of the Mia character. 

So sanctimonious Mia stole the baby from the father and has been running ever since.  

• Love 7
(edited)

The actor who played young Mia acted sooooooooooooo much like Kerry Washington.  LOL.  It was "U N C A N N Y".

Both actors who played young Elena and young Mia were really good.

Elena and Bill acted like they didn't understand how to use birth control, but hey, my parents acted the same way at the same time and now I'm here today.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 6
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I thought the actress playing young Mia actually was doing all the mouth acting. As much as I hate KW's mouth stuff, I was really impressed that they had the young actress mimic it and thought she did amazing with it. She really evoketed KW's Mia all rounf to me. ASR was not quite as good at playing it like Reese, but she did have the manner of speaking down imo. Also, wow and lol at the young Mia actress being 31. I never would have thought!

I feel the same as you do.  Her speech mannerisms were so Kerry-ish and ASR was really good too.

• Love 6

I actually thought the actor playing Bill was pretty good at evoking JJ as well. And the guy that played young Mark always reminds me of the actor who plays the older version of him so that was funny.

Who was playing young Linda? She looked familiar to me. I thought it was Alona Tol at first but that doesn't seem right.

• Love 7

This episode bugs me for a lot of reasons.  I already disliked Mia, and found myself thinking the worst of her for not giving the baby to the couple she agreed to surrogate for, even while I know it's not as black and white as it is in my mind.  She may have given them the money back, spoken to them, apologized, I don't know.  I admit I'm guilty of pre-judging.  As for Elena, I can relate 1000 percent to finding yourself pregnant too soon, not ready or wanting another baby, facing a future of more at home mommy days/years when mentally she (I) was so excited about going back to work. Then the baby comes and it's not an easy baby and whether that's health related, as mine was, or stress because the baby could feel that Elena just didn't want to be doing what was needed to bond with her, it becomes a cycle of tears on both parts.

My heart goes out to Izzy, I missed the kids this episode.

• Love 9
(edited)

I agree with the others who found this one tough to watch. But I am so glad this episode came when it did because it has me more invested now in the characters.

I found Elena's backstory to be especially heartbreaking.  Bravo to the casting directors for casting younger Elena, Mia and Bill.  This was This is Us level casting as far as finding spectacular matches goes.

Tiffany Boone, wow.  She had Kerry Washington down!  She was incredible.  Can we switch out KW and just have Tiffany playing older Mia now, too? 

And I was so happy to see AnnaSophia Robb!  She is beyond charming and I haven't seen much of her since she was Carrie in that awful Sex and The City for tweens.  She is so watchable and likeable and needs to be on my screen more!  Her scenes were heartbreaking and I was feeling every tear.

The actor playing young Bill even had Joshua Jackson's voice down pat in the little screen time he had. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 12
(edited)
15 hours ago, dmc said:

Bill:  Three is the same as four.

Elena comes home after being gone one night and he already has her friend there for assistance. I guess it’s not so easy Bill.  

To be fair, Elena told Bill she was going to the drugstore for a pacifier and didn't come back until morning. I'm sure he was frantic with worry and probably called Linda to help him find Elena more so than to help him deal with the kids.

13 hours ago, dmc said:

It’s more acceptable for men to ask for help. Bill lives there with Elena all the time, he should be helping her.  There’s no sense that he is, just you should quit your job and focus on this 100 percent 

Bill reluctantly took a job in a private law firm because Elena really wanted them to buy a single-family home. Law firms are brutal for associates even now, and it was probably worse in the 80s. I'm sure he had to work upwards of 60 hours a week to make partner. Bill alluded to it on the phone when Elena called him about the water, that he couldn't just leave early. Back then there was no tolerance for men wanting work-life balance and being more hands-on fathers (not that we always have it now, but we've made progress).

While I sympathize with Elena - raising four children so close in age must be hell - she couldn't have a husband who both brings in a lot of money and does his fair share at home. She was the one who pressured him to take the law firm job, so she had to deal with the consequences of that choice.

6 hours ago, Lemons said:

The 8O’s had birth control and abortion. No one forced Elena to have four children back to back.  She was old enough to make sure she wasn’t having unprotected sex once she decided she only wanted three but she didn’t.

She went to her doctor to get an IUD, which is how she found out she was pregnant with Izzy, so she did try to get birth control, just not in time. And when she told her mother about the pregnancy and that she had choices, her mother laid a guilt trip on her that women of means aren't supposed to get abortions. Yes, it was still Elena's choice, but I can see how that kind of guilt trip messed with her head when she was already overwhelmed and hormonal.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 18
(edited)

How did Mia get pregnant?

16 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

And I was so happy to see AnnaSophia Robb!  She is beyond charming and I haven't seen much of her since she was Carrie in that awful Sex and The City for tweens.  She is so watchable and likeable and needs to be on my screen more!  Her scenes were heartbreaking and I was feeling every tear.

The actor playing young Bill even had Joshua Jackson's voice down pat in the little screen time he had. 

Agree!  They even got young Bill to look like JJ, that was so funny.

Something really sweet is that Jodie Turner Smith, Joshua Jackson's wife, livetweets the show along with the cast.  She's watching it just like we are.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

To be fair, Elena told Bill she was going to the drugstore for a pacifier and didn't come back until morning. I'm sure he was frantic with worry and probably called Linda to help him find Elena more so than to help him deal with the kids.

Bill reluctantly took a job in a private law firm because Elena really wanted them to buy a single-family home. Law firms are brutal for associates even now, and it was probably worse in the 80s. I'm sure he had to work upwards of 60 hours a week to make partner. Bill alluded to it on the phone when Elena called him about the water, that he couldn't just leave early. Back then there was no tolerance for men wanting work-life balance and being more hands-on fathers (not that we always have it now, but we've made progress).

While I sympathize with Elena - raising four children so close in age must be hell - she couldn't have a husband who both brings in a lot of money and does his fair share at home. She was the one who pressured him to take the law firm job, so she had to deal with the consequences of that choice.

She went to her doctor to get an IUD, which is how she found out she was pregnant with Izzy, so she did try to get birth control, just not in time. And when she told her mother about the pregnancy and that she had choices, her mother laid a guilt trip on her that women of means aren't supposed to get abortions. Yes, it was still Elena's choice, but I can see how that kind of guilt trip messed with her head when she was already overwhelmed and hormonal.

The doctor discusses birth control at your postpartum visit, that’s when you discuss the IUD. Elena’s youngest wasn’t a newborn. I’m just saying it was the 80’s not the 50’s.  They made the Elena character kind of dumb in her younger years. 

3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How did Mia get pregnant?

Agree!  They even got young Bill to look like JJ, that was so funny.

Something really sweet is that Jodie Turner Smith, Joshua Jackson's wife, livetweets the show along with the cast.  She's watching it just like we are.

Is his wife an actor too? 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I thought the actress playing young Mia actually was doing all the mouth acting. As much as I hate KW's mouth stuff, I was really impressed that they had the young actress mimic it and thought she did amazing with it. She really evoketed KW's Mia all around to me.

I thought that too and because I don't like KW and don't think she is not even close to a good actor, it distracted me a lot. I am conflicted within myself thinking that the actress did a great job capturing KW ticks and speech patterns and hating that they made the actress do that, maybe because it is such an irritating (to me) thing to watch in the original, seeing someone copying that makes me pay attention to how the speech is delivered instead of what the actor is actually saying.

The young Elena was easier for me to watch. It reminded me of older Elena but without the distraction of comparing them every time she opened her mouth. Again, I might be biased. RW also has a very Reese what of delivering lines, a I neutral about that, but I prefer subtlety over on your face copy.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Except the last time I checked when you are frantic with worry the people you call are the police.  Also the fact that her friend made a comment that there still some glass in the kitchen made me know that she’s the person who’s been cleaning up and watching those kids.  In addition plenty of women and men have high power jobs and do their fair share at home that is completely possible to do.  People are just more comfortable blaming the women in this situation.  

• Love 4
18 hours ago, dmc said:

The show seems to be saying that a natural mother triumphs over surrogacy and adoption and I don’t agree.

Yeah, I dont know if thats what they're going for here with both Mia and Pearl Bebe and May Ling (I think they might be going for more of a class warfare thing) but...it also seems like this could end up saying "its biology that matters with children and thats all that matters children should always be with the person who carried them regardless of circumstances and if the birth moms gives up the kid or promises the kid to someone else, they will always end up changing their minds and they should always get the kid back instantly" and thats really got a great message to send. As weird as the husband flagging down Mia and asking her to be their surrogate on the subway was, Mia did agree to be a surrogate for him and wife, who were desperate for a child, and she just took their baby and ghosted them, and that was a sucky thing to do. She apparently never even called or tried to return the money or explained, she just made a break for it. 

Of course, I dont know if the show wants us to see what Mia did as good or bad yet, or how things will play out with Bebe vs The MacCullahs, and if we are even supposed to see any of them as the "good guys" or the "bad guys" in the whole sad situation, so I guess we will just have to see what happens to see what we are supposed to take from all this. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Yeah, I dont know if thats what they're going for here with both Mia and Pearl Bebe and May Ling (I think they might be going for more of a class warfare thing) but...it also seems like this could end up saying "its biology that matters with children and thats all that matters children should always be with the person who carried them regardless of circumstances and if the birth moms gives up the kid or promises the kid to someone else, they will always end up changing their minds and they should always get the kid back instantly" and thats really got a great message to send. As weird as the husband flagging down Mia and asking her to be their surrogate on the subway was, Mia did agree to be a surrogate for him and wife, who were desperate for a child, and she just took their baby and ghosted them, and that was a sucky thing to do. She apparently never even called or tried to return the money or explained, she just made a break for it. 

Of course, I dont know if the show wants us to see what Mia did as good or bad yet, or how things will play out with Bebe vs The MacCullahs, and if we are even supposed to see any of them as the "good guys" or the "bad guys" in the whole sad situation, so I guess we will just have to see what happens to see what we are supposed to take from all this. 

You could be right.  But is Mia lower class? She seems like middle class maybe.  I mean a lot of people are reliant on financial aid for school.  Bebe is an undocumented immigrant with no source of income.  I mean there is a world of difference between these two.  Mia stayed in the city because she wanted to go to art school, she could have done school loans, saved up more money, gone back home for while...she had choices but she saw an easier way to get the funds she needed to stay in the city.  

Also, I don't think the Warren storyline helped out because it made it seem that she was keeping Pearl to honor her brother.

I do think the show is saying that women with less agency have less choices and I agree, they do.  But this also a show about motherhood.  What makes a mother?  I don't know for me at least, its just biology.  Not everyone has the option to carry a baby, some people have to do surrogacy and adopt.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

She apparently never even called or tried to return the money or explained, she just made a break for it. 

They showed Mia writing them a letter. I believe she said something about them not having to pay her for the appointments or something. It was only on screen for a second and you couldn't see the whole thing. I'm unclear on whether or not they paid her the $12000 and then also agreed to pay for her appointments and whatnot too or what.

55 minutes ago, meira.hand said:

I was hoping Mia's flashback will reveal/explain the source of her anger but it actually did not.

Thank you. I mean, I honestly don't really feel like this explained why Mia is such an asshole and it certainly didn't make me feel more empathy for her. 

• Love 6
On 4/8/2020 at 6:11 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I thought the actress playing young Mia actually was doing all the mouth acting. As much as I hate KW's mouth stuff, I was really impressed that they had the young actress mimic it and thought she did amazing with it. She really evoketed KW's Mia all around to me. ASR was not quite as good at playing it like Reese, but she did have the manner of speaking down imo. Also, wow and lol at the young Mia actress being 31. I never would have thought!

Yea, I thought that woman was creepy as hell. I think maybe we were supposed to look fondly at her relationship with Mia but I absolutely did not.

So did I.  She NAILED Kerry Washington.  The actress playing young Elaina had a lot of her mannerisms down too, but KW's expressions are so distinct that they stood out in young Mia's actor.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Mama No Life said:

So did I.  She NAILED Kerry Washington.  The actress playing young Elaina had a lot of her mannerisms down too, but KW's expressions are so distinct that they stood out in young Mia's actor.

She even did that intake of breath thing that KW has done as Mia!

• Love 3

Do the writers have any idea how far it is from OH to NY?  Did they ever look at a map to see how wide PA is?  Both in last week's episode and this Elena casually hopped in the car and drove to NY.  Uh, no.

The actress playing young Mia was outstanding. 

(despite also being a well known artist including a self portrait) 

The photo belonged to Mia's mentor (Pauline?).  Mia was just the model.

Edited by Haleth
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

They showed Mia writing them a letter. I believe she said something about them not having to pay her for the appointments or something. It was only on screen for a second and you couldn't see the whole thing. I'm unclear on whether or not they paid her the $12000 and then also agreed to pay for her appointments and whatnot too or what.

Thank you. I mean, I honestly don't really feel like this explained why Mia is such an asshole and it certainly didn't make me feel more empathy for her. 

I may be wrong but it looked like she wrote that she had a miscarriage and that she would pay them the money back. Which I think is even worse that she lied about losing the baby. And I doubt she ever paid them back.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

23 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

I may be wrong but it looked like she wrote that she had a miscarriage and that she would pay them the money back. Which I think is even worse that she lied about losing the baby. And I doubt she ever paid them back.

Nope, Mia said that she would repay them for the medical appointments and prenatal care. Then she said, "You don't owe me anything," so they hadn't paid her the $12K yet.

mia.thumb.jpg.d976f1f6fca17bd6a372cdb461798abd.jpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Haleth said:

Do the writers have any idea how far it is from OH to NY?  Did they ever look at a map to see how wide PA is?  Both in last week's episode and this Elena casually hopped in the car and drove to NY.  Uh, no.

I think they mentioned they were meeting in Rochester, NY. I even looked it up on a map to see how far that was from Shaker Heights. Her ex boyfriend said that he had driven several hours to meet with her in Rochester, which is in upstate New York. It was still a very long drive. The ex boyfriend really got the shaft. No wonder he was angry when she wanted to meet him years later in NYC.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 3
On 4/8/2020 at 4:36 AM, dmc said:

I can't believe the glass was still on the floor. I don't like Elena at all but I certainly can empathize more after witnessing how unhelpful Bill or even Linda. Linda isn't a real friend. I suspect there's a lot of envy there, real friends are happy for you not envious of your happiness.

Mia made a shitty choice to be the Ryan's surrogate but that's understandable for a naive, young woman in her circumstances. The Ryans are creepy, horrible, desperate people. I understand desperate people do desperate things but  who uses a 18 year old virgin as their surrogate? They are disgusting! When Mia said she'd never used a tampon my heart broke a little. 

I love how unapologetic Kerry Washington is in her performance. As a black woman I am amused at the comments here. "Friendliness" is perceived very differently in different cultures. I see intrusion, racism, presumptions based on racism but shrug.

Edited by Adgirl
  • Love 19
2 minutes ago, Adgirl said:

I can't believe the glass was still on the floor. I don't like Elena at all but I certainly can empathize more after witnessing how unhelpful Bill or even Linda. Linda isn't a real friend. I suspect there's a lot of envy there, real friends are happy for you not envious of your happiness.

Mia made a shitty choice to be the Ryan's surrogate but that's understandable for a naive, young woman in her circumstances. The Ryans are creepy, horrible, desperate people. I understand desperate people do desperate things but  who uses a 18 year old virgin as their surrogate? They are disgusting! When Mia said she'd never used a tampon my heart broke a little. 

Maybe that’s the real theme of the show desperation.   I agree Linda is not a real friend I could tell that in the present.  I think Elena tries with her but she’s someone you invite to book club but don’t trust.  Elena’s friendships parallel her daughter Lexie’s. That’s the reason why Lexie took Pearl to her abortion because she’s the only person she knows she can trust.  My heart broke for Lexie when Mia Told her she had tons of people she could go to. Having people isn’t the same as having people you can go to.  Mia should know that from her own parents.  Don’t get me wrong Lexie is selfish and she was wrong for using Pearl’s name.  However I don’t think she has one genuine friend

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, dmc said:

Lexie took Pearl to her abortion because she’s the only person she knows she can trust.

She took Pearl because she doesn't see her as her equal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
52 minutes ago, Adgirl said:

She took Pearl because she doesn't see her as her equal.

No she used Pearl’s name for that reason.  She took her because she can trust her 

• Love 4