Type keyword(s) to search

Stargirl in the Media: The Blue Valley Times

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, kirinan said:

A really nice interview with everyone's favorite stepdad/sidekick, Luke Wilson. 

Happy to see they are planning Season 2 early, but also the fact that they made sure things were open ended. Also, good to hear that his brother is working on the opposite end with MCU films, though how they are trying to film final episodes or "new seasons" is so up in the air right now.

37 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I found it interesting that he said he’s not aware of any plans to move production to Vancouver.  I know that was a concern with the show moving to the CW.

Right due to filming and deals the CW has with Vancouver. Happy to hear as of right now, they want to stick with filming in Georgia. 

On 7/27/2020 at 10:45 AM, Starfish35 said:

I found it interesting that he said he’s not aware of any plans to move production to Vancouver.  I know that was a concern with the show moving to the CW.

Does Georgia make a better Kansas than Vancouver?

6 hours ago, rmontro said:

Does Georgia make a better Kansas than Vancouver?

They've made good use of the town they're in for locations, I think. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, Black Lightning already films in Georgia so it's not a show stopper. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MarkHB said:

They've made good use of the town they're in for locations, I think. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, Black Lightning already films in Georgia so it's not a show stopper. 

I'd be surprised if anyone is filming in Georgia now.  Whereas I wouldn't at all be surprised if at least a minimal amount of filming is starting up in Vancouver now.

On 8/5/2020 at 5:11 PM, Kromm said:

I'd be surprised if anyone is filming in Georgia now.  Whereas I wouldn't at all be surprised if at least a minimal amount of filming is starting up in Vancouver now.

Pinewood Studios Atlanta and Blackhall Studios are open, as are various recording studios, with several projects in pre-production/early filming. Mostly independent films, various reality TV shows, and television commercials so far, but there's reports that Fox and Universal are both preparing to step up production on bigger projects.

Separately, the potential boycotts of Georgia from various industry groups also ended, at least temporarily, after a federal judge also struck down Georgia's so-called "heartbeat" anti-abortion law.

Which isn't to say that filming in Georgia is anywhere near pre-Covid levels, or that all talent will be willing to work in Georgia, but it's happening.  

That said, there's a big gap between "We're filming Real Housewives of Atlanta" and "let's film a low to medium budget TV show with multiple stunt scenes," so I have no idea when WB might be willing to go ahead with filming Black Lightning and Stargirl.

On 8/5/2020 at 5:25 PM, Primal Slayer said:

Georgia is nice and sunny and isnt one large Arrowverse set so...yeah it does.

I think the ongoing sunniness has helped set the tone/look of the show, so I can see wanting to keep that. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Trini said:

Johns says nothing much will change, but with CW giving notes, it seems inevitable.

It HAS to change just by virtue of being shorter episodes.  Yes they made CW-ized versions that were shorter anyway, but now the show will be written with less detail in the first place.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

It HAS to change just by virtue of being shorter episodes.  Yes they made CW-ized versions that were shorter anyway, but now the show will be written with less detail in the first place.

Majority of Season 1 episodes were 43 mins in length. The average CW episode length is 42-43 mins. Moving to TheCW will only cause the premiere to be standard episode length. Majority of the season aired on TheCW just as it aired on DCU.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Kromm said:

This reminds me, I've been meaning to ask.  Does anyone know if there were any interesting or important scenes that were edited out of the streaming versions?  I've only been able to see the broadcast TV episodes.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, rmontro said:

This reminds me, I've been meaning to ask.  Does anyone know if there were any interesting or important scenes that were edited out of the streaming versions?  I've only been able to see the broadcast TV episodes.

If they were, they were in the first few episodes.  After the first 4 or so they are all pretty much 40 minutes on DCU,so that should align well with the CW broadcasts. (All I watched on the CW were the next-week previews, because DCU didn't have those.)

• Love 1
On 8/5/2020 at 2:11 PM, Kromm said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the US/Canada border has been closed for a few months now due to covid.  They have no choice but to film in the US.  Not that I mind - I like the GA locations.  

11 hours ago, magicdog said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the US/Canada border has been closed for a few months now due to covid.  They have no choice but to film in the US.  Not that I mind - I like the GA locations.  

Pretty sure that's not how it would work when big companies and money is involved. It's certainly unlikely for example that everyone involved in the Vancouver produced shows was already in Canada, for example, but if they needed to get them there I'm betting they could, after a quarrantine period at least. Besides, it's a fluid situation.  We have no idea when anyone is starting production on ANYTHING, and certainly no idea of the actual conditions when they do. 

18 hours ago, Trini said:

This cast is adorable!

I like the way they give props to their stunt doubles.  Brec said her stunt double, Kristina Baskett "is Stargirl".  She also did work doubling for Arya in Game of Thrones and for Melinda May in Agents of Shield.  And I might add she has great legs.

• Love 2
On 8/16/2020 at 6:28 PM, rmontro said:

I like the way they give props to their stunt doubles.  Brec said her stunt double, Kristina Baskett "is Stargirl".  She also did work doubling for Arya in Game of Thrones and for Melinda May in Agents of Shield.  And I might add she has great legs.

And, after looking her up, she (Kristina) was a multiple medalist at the NCAA Gymnastics Nationals for U of Utah. Which explains some of those moves!

• Love 2

Stargirl to have a virtual panel at NY Comic Con in October:

https://www.findthemetaverse.com/schedule

DC’s Stargirl Cast & Producer Panel

DC’s Stargirl creator/executive producer Geoff Johns joins series stars Brec Bassinger (Bella & the Bulldogs, All Night), Yvette Monreal (Rambo: Last Blood, Faking It), Anjelika Washington (Tall Girl, Girl’s Room), Cameron Gellman (Heathers), and Meg DeLacy (The Fosters), as they relive the first season’s most epic moments. Join your favorite Blue Valley residents as they share behind-the-scenes tales and scoop on what’s to come for Season 2. ...

• Love 1

NYCC (virtual) panel:

Join your favorite Blue Valley residents as they share behind-the-scenes tales and scoop on what’s to come for Season 2. DC’s Stargirl creator/executive producer Geoff Johns joins series stars Brec Bassinger ..., Yvette Monreal ..., Anjelika Washington ..., Cameron Gellman ..., and Meg DeLacy..., as they relive the first season’s most epic moments.

The Panel session revealed virtually nothing we didn't already know, but there were a few tiny tidbits.

Johns playing with the eventual fate of the Pink Pen and Green Lantern, that they will and won't be an expansion of the team.  I think he (either intentionally or not) revealed they will go to people we've already seen on the show.

Johns revealing that The Shade isn't going to be any kind of one-off use.  He's in this just as deeply as Eclipso.  I think the way he dodged the question on if The Shade and Eclipso work together kind of reveals that (at least for a lot of this) they won't be.

That Wildcat is going to have huge problems dealing with what she did at the end of last season.  And there's a clear inference based on how often the comic book links with Eclipso are mentioned, and that Eclipso kind of mindf@cks people based on their fears and insecurities, where this is going with Wildcat.

The ongoing link between Hourman and Grundy is pretty obvious, and the potential change in that relationship is clear, and they don't deny it.

• Love 1

Speaking of Wildcat, sometimes things work out almost too well... Yvette Monreal got the official word that she had been cast while she was in, I believe, Spain, filming Rocky Balboa... so she had the undeniable advantage of being able to ask, "Mr, Stallone, do you have any tips on playing a boxer?" (The only specific thing she mentioned was to always keep your guard up.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

‘Stargirl’ Casts Nick Tarabay & Jonathan Cake As Eclipso & The Shade, Adds Ysa Penarejo As Recurring

DC’s Stargirl has found its Eclipso and The Shade – two of its primary villains for the series’ upcoming Season 2 on the CW. Nick Tarabay (The Expanse) will play the series regular role of Eclipso and Jonathan Cake (The Affair) will recur as The Shade. Additionally Ysa Penarejo (Project Mc2) will recur as an undisclosed DC character.

Stargirl creator/EP Geoff Johns teased the upcoming Eclipso and The Shade DC characters earlier this month at New York Comic Con. “Eclipso is so terrifying. I’ve always loved the character, and he’s a very different antagonist or villain than the [Injustice Society of America],” Johns said. He added that The Shade is “the most powerful of them all, and very threatening because no one knows exactly what he wants.”

Tarabay’s Eclipso is one of the main antagonists set to clash with Stargirl’s Justice Society of America in Season 2. Eclipso is a life essence trapped inside a blue diamond. Once owned by the Injustice Society of America, that diamond was stolen in Season 1 by DeLacy’s Cindy, which will result in problems for the JSA going forward. Eclipso is an ancient entity of corruption and vengeance. Brimming with a cold, terrifying darkness, he exploits the flaws of others, reveling in the impure and sinful, sadistically feeding off the dark side of humanity.

Cake’s The Shade, an English immortal, is a classic antihero from DC Comics who wields magical shadow powers. Tall and slim with an elegant 19th century way to his speech and manners, he masks the horrors he’s experienced and people he’s lost in all the time alive with wry, witty retorts and a false sense that nothing really matters.

• Love 1

We know who Ysa Penarejo is playing... Alan Scott's daughter Jade.  Time will tell if she's actually going to be green on the show.  Looks like we have the potential for a significant power-level upgrade in the JSA this season!  Hopefully they still have the funding to pull it off and no one tries to force them into the CW formula.

• Love 3