Type keyword(s) to search

Stargirl in the Media: The Blue Valley Times

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, MarkHB said:

... Hopefully they still have the funding to pull it off and no one tries to force them into the CW formula.

I'm hoping for the best, but I feel like the CW influence is inevitable. We'll see.

• Love 1

The trailer does raise a good point - since Blue Valley isn't a crime ridden hellhole like Gotham, there really isn't any reason for the JSA to go out and patrol every night when there aren't any active supervillains running around. 

It also looks like it's the end of the school year, so maybe that's their way to avoid filming a lot of crowded school scenes.

• Love 2

The CW Season 2 Cast Photos

Courtney Whitmore/Stargirl (Brec Bassinger)

stargirl-courtney-1275160.jpeg?auto=webp

Beth Chapel/Doctor Mid-Nite (Anjelika Washington)

stargirl-beth-1275161.jpeg?auto=webp&wid

Rick Tyler/Hourman (Cameron Gellman)

stargirl-rick-1275162.jpeg?auto=webp&wid

Yolanda Montez/Wildcat (Yvette Monreal)

stargirl-yolanda-1275163.jpeg?auto=webp&

Mike Dugan (Trae Romano)

stargirl-mike-1275164.jpeg?auto=webp&wid

Cameron Mahkent (Hunter Sansone)

stargirl-cameron-1275166.jpeg?auto=webp&

Cindy Burman/Shiv (Meg DeLacy)

stargirl-cindy-1275167.jpeg?auto=webp&wi

Pat Dugan/S.T.R.I.P.E. (Luke Wilson)

stargirl-pat-1275170.jpeg?auto=webp&widt

Barbara Whitmore (Amy Smart)

stargirl-barbara-1275171.jpeg?auto=webp&

• Love 2

"New" "Extended" trailer.  I think the only real difference is that in this one, we see Shade making the shadow-hands, and there's a brief green fight scene towards the end. Note that the original trailer has been pulled, at least from the CW site.

• Useful 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

There's some new footage here.  The theme is the same, though - Courtney wishes she lived somewhere with a constant stream of baddies to thwart, Jade and Shade show up, etc.

That bit with Jade and the Lantern looks great, though! I just hope we get to hear her recite the oath at least once.

Edited by MarkHB

Some quotes from Geoff Johns at EW: 'DC's Stargirl creator talks first mini crossover and making season 2 scary'

"That first scene was purposely at the top and mysterious and both specific and vague at the same time because I wanted everyone to know there's a tonal shift this season," creator Geoff Johns told reporters during a DC's Stargirl press conference on Wednesday. "And so right away you get that tonal shift and it is scary and it is dark, but it was important to have that up front and then right away we go to like, summertime blues and the kids patrolling at night and there's nothing going on … there's a lot of humor and fun afterward. But it was important just to set the tone of the season right away, let you know that we're going to get scary this season."

I'm going to guess that that first scene involves the shot from the promos where Cindy walks into the ISA lair. The other thing that struck me is that shot of Yolanda in the church; her face is half shadowed,  i.e., eclipsed.

Interview at EW: 'Brec Bassinger explains why season 2 'will really shock people''

The CW's bright and sunny superhero series is taking a major left turn in tone for season 2, and star Brec Bassinger, who plays the titular red, white, and blue hero, can't wait for people to discover just how different things are going to be this time around. "Every time [creator] Geoff [Johns] makes a season, he first comes up with what the tone of the season is going to be, and this one he said is like Nightmare on Elm Street and It," she tells EW. "I was like, whoa, that is going to be different! It was fun getting to do it."

---

As someone who is not a horror fan, I'm less enthused hearing this.

• Love 5

Another Brec Bassinger interview at TVLine:

When Stargirl was announced as CW-only for Season 2, there was some concern, “Oh, they’re going to have to tighten the purse strings.” “Oh, they’re going to have to rein in the budget.” But as I’m watching these first few episodes, I feel like each one features some great new, visual effect. Have any of those VFX especially blown you away?

In the very first episode, there’s some really cool stuff between Green Lantern’s daughter (Ysa Penarejo) and Stargirl. It’s so funny because I get to see it through the process, so I saw the first cut before there was any sound mixing, sound effects or visual effects ,and then skip forward three months to the final product, and it just blows my mind. I was telling my boyfriend it is actually insane how much those visual effects and sound add. Every time Geoff [Johns] shows me something, it’s like a joke between us, because he always gives me a disclaimer, like, “This isn’t the finished product…,” and every time I watch it, I’m like, “But Geoff, this is still so good.” And then I see the finished product and I’m like, “OK, I understand your disclaimer, this is awesome.”

Not sure where to ask this but here goes. Does anyone know if there will be any airings in 4K HDR like Season 1 was on DC Universe?  It looked really good and will be a step down if there is only a broadcast 1080p version.

• Love 1

I didn't want to fight anyone, I just decided breaking in during the wee hours of the morning couldn't possibly be misinterpreted.   On the plus side, it sounds like Alan talked up Pat even if he never bothered showing his daughter a photo of the old group.

Interview at TVLine: 'Yvette Monreal Talks Epic Cafeteria Fight, How New Losses Affect Yolanda'

TVLINE | We first must talk about last week’s brutal fight in the cafeteria. What does a sequence that big and elaborate translate into for you, as actors?

It was really fun to do. It was a very long episode, and one of my favorites. The director, Walter Garcia, spent so much time coordinating it and put so much effort into it…. There definitely were longer hours involved, and my stunt double did a lot of the wire work — she’s amazing and has embodied Wildcat like no other person, I hope she never leaves me! [Laughs] It was definitely a longer shoot, but it was worth it. The director was so passionate about making these fights sequences the best, and you can see that. It led to a big payoff, for sure.

Honorable mention for Anjelika in TVLine's Performer of the Week:

HONORABLE MENTION | Anjelika Washington was thrust to the fore of this week’s DC’s Stargirl, and whereas to date Beth Chapel has served as comic relief or been left to dote on her folks, this time she really got pulled into the thick of it. Landing in Eclipso’s crosshairs, Beth first was subject to the horror that she was to blame for the ‘rents divorce. Things then got very personal when “Bruce” taunted Beth about how “no one chose” her to be a hero, and how she was all wrong for the gig — skin color, included. “Is that what you need me to do? Give into my worst fear, that I’m an outsider? Because I won’t,” Beth told the demon, Washington dialing up the perfect level of defiance. “I’m strong, I’m proud… and I chose myself to be Doctor Mid-Nite. Oh, and I love being Black!” Ironically for Season 2, Eclipso was left covered by shade.

John Wesley Shipp (The Flash) interview at EW:

"This classic version of Jay Garrick is rooted in principle, even if it means some people are going to get hurt in the short term, he is going to stick by the principles of why the Justice Society was created to begin with," Shipp tells EW. "And I think he's profoundly disappointed when those ideals and ethics are not adhered to. When I read the script… [there's] a heartbreaking moment that made me go, 'Wow, what a rich episode.'" ...

17 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Just checking . . . any news about WPIX (New York) preempting tonight’s episode for the wild card playoff? My schedule looks normal on cable, but I’m wary.

I can't find a definitive answer; but I think it's most likely the show's going to be preempted.

Okay, here's their schedule page, but like you, not sure if it can be trusted, re: preemptions.

https://pix11.com/about-us/tv-listings/

Another John Wesley Shipp interview about his role in this week's episode:

John Wesley Shipp: What the most thing that I concentrated on was that Geoff Johns [showrunner/executive producer] brought Jay into his classic self. You know what I mean? In other words, when I walk into that garage, I’m walking into my seat of authority. I’m carrying my authority because in the society that exists, there is no Justice League, it’s the Justice Society. And I’m a founding member and a leading voice in a leading authority of that. I’m moving in the Stargirl flashback in my own seat of authority. ...