Type keyword(s) to search

Stargirl in the Media: The Blue Valley Times

• Start Topic

TVLine Performer of the Week:

HONORABLE MENTION |

As DC’s Stargirl‘s three-season run came to an end, Brec Bassinger shined brighter than ever before, bringing new layers to Courtney as both heroic star and regular girl. Upon realizing how she might wrest Cosmo away from “Starman” during the final showdown, Court demonstrated a newfound, vital confidence, deriding the cosmic staff’s current custodian as unworthy. (She even let slip a cocky grin as Cosmo returned to her grasp.) Later, in scenes with Pat, Becky and then Cameron, Bassinger made clear Courtney’s growth as a daughter, helper and teenager in love, making her alter ego’s surreal journey feel all too real. She was, in a word, super. 

At DC: 'Brec Bassinger and Geoff Johns Look Back at Stargirl'

Geoff Johns: When I originally created the character, I wanted to focus on a relationship that you never see in comic books as a central relationship. And that was between a stepparent and a stepchild, and in this case, Pat Dugan and Courtney Whitmore. The show continued that heart where the core of it is all about relationships that are made throughout life between families that come together. I can't remember a superhero story where I've seen that be its core center emotional theme. That was always what the show was about.

• Love 1

Good article...

Stargirl Season 3's Most Burning Questions
BY MATHEW SCHEER     PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://www.cbr.com/stargirl-season-3-most-burning-questions/ 

The adventures of Stargirl and the JSA came to an end on Dec. 7 after three brief seasons on The CW. Episode 13 of the “Frenemies” story arc wrapped up a season that saw the return of Sylvester Pemberton/Starman, villains trying to reform, shocking deaths and several surprising twists.
Though Stargirl Season 3 was arguably the best season that wrapped up many of the Justice Society’s character arcs satisfactorily, it also left a lot of lingering questions that will go unanswered thanks to the series’ cancellation. Perhaps a comic book follow-up or a revival via streaming could provide some answers someday, but since nothing has been announced, some mysteries will remain mysteries.

How Did the Ultra-Humanite Fool the Cosmic Staff?
How Did Dragon King Know Starman’s Body Could be Revived?
How Did Dragon King's Brain End Up in Ultra-Humanite’s Body?
Will the Truth About Mr. Deisinger’s Death Ever Come Out?
When Did Sofus Mahkent Start to Go Soft and Why?
When Did Sofus Mahkent Start to Go Soft and Why?
How did Artemis Track Icicle All the Way to Copenhagen?

Edited by tv echo

https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/04/20/geoff-johns-breaks-down-titans-cameo-filled-surprise-crossover

Next, Gar runs into Stargirl. Brec Bassinger returns as Courtney Whitmore, reprising the role she played for three seasons on the television series.

“I wanted to have Stargirl there because this was also an episode about the importance of family, and Stargirl is the epitome of family,” reveals Johns. “She represents the heart of family, so when Gar is trying to get back to his family, he is drawn to another person who loves and cares about family.”

“Getting to crossover with Titans as Stargirl was such a full circle moment,” Bassinger says. “Geoff Johns wrote the episode, so getting to put my suit on again with him by my side felt right. I had worked with the director Eric Dean Seaton on my very first acting role, so again, it felt very divine.”

“It was fun,” Johns recalls. “All of us were wondering how it was going to work. How are these two shows, which are vastly different in tone, going to intersect? The scene actually changed a little bit on set as we did it. These characters actually fit perfectly together. They’re both a lot of fun. The weirdness of Gar and his disorientation, coupled with Stargirl and the curious Cosmo (Courtney’s staff) made the scene delightful to shoot.”

Basinger agrees, saying, “It was really cool to get to explore the different tone of Titans compared to Stargirl. Beast Boy and Stargirl are SO different, and it was fun to let them interact. I love the DC Universe, so to get to expand and be a part of a wider part of this universe that holds these wonderful characters was epic!”

Johns also shared how this scene would have impacted Stargirl if the series had continued.

“If we had done a season four of Stargirl, we would have referenced this scene,” he reveals. “Maybe we would have kept Gar in Blue Valley for an episode.”