Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: US Sheriffs

• Start Topic

(edited)

"...like Chip and Dale slid into Richard Gere." OMG XD. That and Oliver's mention of which John was ahead of him in the "most fuckable John" list absolutely cracked me up. As did his snarky response to the news about that Boone guy being in jail (which I'm not even remotely surprised to hear).

I know my local police force has had some criticism of it over the years (notably in relation to an infamous missing persons case in my town's history), so it'd be interesting to see what kind of information would come up in any research I did about this topic. Let's hope the other shitty sheriffs out there get removed from office somehow as well, and we get more good ones like the guy who supported and implemented bail reform.

I saw a thing on...Twitter, I think it was, a while back where somebody compared this administration's response to the Coronavirus outbreak to how the Bush administration responded to Hurricane Katrina, and I think that comparison becomes more and more apt with each passing day. Hearing Trump try and talk about this is just...*Rubs temples*. I honestly don't know why anyone even bothers to ask this administration any questions about this issue anymore. Just stick to talking to the medical experts at this point. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 6
Just now, Robert Lynch said:

And did you see that woman's stink face when Pence left? Wow....That quote from her. Don't know what to say.

Somebody desperately needs to remind these people who they actually work for and must respond to. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Somebody desperately needs to remind these people who they actually work for and must respond to. 

Is that what you think, you nerdy, uh awesome intelligent poster?

They should look at the man in the Oval Office, and his temperament, if they think a reporter asking a great question is out of line.  It is a great question.  How are you gonna make sure the disease is contained, and ultimately eradicated if everybody can't get cheap access to those tests?

I want to hear that former Sheriff insult more people.  Will he call somebody going against him a simpleton Adonis of a man?  Call a woman who shoots him down an arrogant awesome gorgeous goddess?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

The tests are the smallest problem...I bet that a lot of people who are ill don't go to the doctor, but still go to work, because they have no choice. But Trump is mostly concerned about testing as few people as possible, because in his mind the lower the number of the infected look, the better for him, never mind how many people are actually ill. There is no way that the numbers are coming from the US are correct, since there are already infections in people who had no contact whatsoever to people from the "hot spots", it means that the virus is out in the wild, so to speak. Hell, I am sitting in the middle of the German hotspot, and I would rather be here than anywhere in the US. Because I can at least trust that whatever happens, there will be care extended to me, and that my government does its very best to slow down the spread as much as possible.

• Love 7

Btw, I don't think that Sheriffs should be elected in the first place, especially not considering how much power is given to them. The part about them being able to draw money out of prisons is especially worrisome. Yes, technically both police and prisons are part of the executive, but they are still two areas which shouldn't be interconnected with each other.

• Love 3

The un and underinsured are at risk and causing risk to the general population (not their fault) but there is another group that is causing risk through, also through no fault of their own.   While American citizens who are poor can hopefully get some help eventually, what are the undocumented going to do?  Fear of deportation will outweigh everything, at least until it is life or death.  

• Love 5

“Fun” look at the world of sheriffs. I don’t think I was fully aware that’s usually an elected position. That makes me think so much less of the people living in the world of Reno 911! If your default is Jim Dangle? That’s on you.

Also: too much emphasis on the fucking of horses, John pulls his Zazu card to create Disney canon, and Rob Corddry gets to dick around as an unopposed sheriff. Oh, and the current administration doesn’t seem to care about helping people. No huge surprise there.

7 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

And did you see that woman's stink face when Pence left? Wow....That quote from her. Don't know what to say.

Horrific woman. Like she’s applying for a spot to hang with the president, as opposed to Veep Mayo.

• Love 3

That twentysomething lackey who chastised the journalist for asking about uninsured people at Pence's press conference made me want to punch the screen. The absolute fucking worst. I wonder which campaign contributor's coddled daughter she is?

"You get that those numbers are still people, right?!" No. No he doesn't. They're numbers that define his image, in that grand PR game that lives inside his head.

I do love it when right wing mouthpieces try to attack John, and he just completely dismantles their attacks by actually being capable of self-deprecation and a lack of ego. Unfortunately, none of the people that Tucker Carlson's non-union Indian equivalent was talking to will ever see John's responses, or his original comments.

The bit about Hotstar editing out Disney related jokes was an interesting look at how some of these companies take it upon themselves to care about things that their parent company probably doesn't give a shit about. Look, Disney are fairly evil, but I don't think they'd be upset about those jokes John made, because they aren't actually attacking Disney's image. 

Speaking of the worst, it's Joe Arpaio. I figured this bit would be about the fact sheriffs are elected and are therefore sometimes utterly unfit to be law enforcement officers. And that some of them use their positions to enrich themselves while pushing their political ideologies on their communities. Surprisingly, this job seems to attract some really shitty people.

And someone else who's the worst - Steven Seagal. Everyone make sure to listen to the Behind the Bastards podcast episodes on that particular arsehole.

• Love 8

Weather Disney cares or not, they are not stupid. A picture of Donald with a cork screw penis is a one minute laugh which is fast forgotten, but the moment you censor it is the moment everyone pays attention to it.

Honestly, I am always surprised that I am still surprised how inept the organisation of law enforcement in the US is. The Steven Seagal bit was maybe the cherry on top...how they hell did we end up with an actor telling law enforcement officers to not hesitate and shoot when confronted with a potential school shooter? That is wrong on so many levels! It is only a matter of time before an officer who went through this training ends up shooting an innocent kid for the crime of having a "dangerous looking" skin colour at the wrong time at the wrong place.

Is "de-escalation" a word with is missing from the US police hand book?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Unfortunately, none of the people that Tucker Carlson's non-union Indian equivalent was talking to will ever see John's responses, or his original comments.

That Indian guy's show was crazy with graphics and color. 

Speaking of the worst, it's Joe Arpaio.

BTW, what word did he say when he was talking about a guy coming to [blank] a horse? Did he say fuck?

"But but but but but" is a weird verbal tic. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

That twentysomething lackey who chastised the journalist for asking about uninsured people at Pence's press conference made me want to punch the screen. The absolute fucking worst. I wonder which campaign contributor's coddled daughter she is?

"You get that those numbers are still people, right?!" No. No he doesn't. They're numbers that define his image, in that grand PR game that lives inside his head.

Even if they want to be totally callous and not consider them people (along with the millions of undocumented people), they still have to realize that these people will get and spread the virus to the rich and assholish as well as to other poor and/or undocumented people.  If nothing else, "enlightened self-interest" would dictate that eradicating the virus EVERYWHERE taken top priority.

• Love 6

Right? It's not exactly like this virus is discriminating in who it targets or anything.

Plus, as we're seeing, it's also starting to have a pretty significant impact on the economy. Given how much these guys love to tout the economy as their big success and all that (we'll just set aside the errors, to put it mildly, in that belief for the moment), one would think they'd be scrambling like mad to try and contain this in order to keep that part of things running smoothly, at the very least. Apparently not, though. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

She just married the evil Stephen Miller.

I loved Ollie changing Disney canon. Y’all cast him as Zazu so it’s your own fault.

Joe is easily the worst of the sheriffs but wow are there a ton of bad ones vying for second place. Hope some decent people run against them and win. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 3/9/2020 at 12:07 PM, Robert Lynch said:

That Fox News guy has a huge But fetish. Another reason not to tune on that station.

20 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Yes, he likes big "But"s and he cannot lie.

I'm sorry but this other brother CAN deny. He totally can. He works for Fox News after all...

Edited by wknt3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I'm sorry but this other brother CAN deny. He totally can. He works for Fox News after all...

He doesn't work for Fox News though.  He's Larry Kudlow, Director of the National Economic Council under Trump. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

He doesn't work for Fox News though.  He's Larry Kudlow, Director of the National Economic Council under Trump. 

So he doesn't work directly for Fox News gotcha. His direct employer is the only large organization with less credibility. I would still think the ability to lie is a job requirement!

Seriously though I stand corrected. I forgot that before he joined the administration he was with CNBC and not Fox Business.

• Love 2
On 3/12/2020 at 8:32 AM, swanpride said:

CNBC has less credibility than Fox news?

No, when the person referenced Kudlow’s “direct employer,” I believe they were referring to the Trump administration.

• Love 3
On 3/10/2020 at 7:55 PM, MaryPatShelby said:

My previous partner was a guy who worked for one of the big personal investment firms.  Great guy and very diligent in what he did.  Watched CNBC on a regular basis to stay on top of his business.

When Kudlow would come on, he would turn the show off.  Wanted nothing to do with the guy.  All but said Kudlow is a hack.

• Love 7