Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E13: Finale, Part 1

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, terrymct said:

Isn't it reasonable to expect him to have thought about this before joining the show?   

He told Christian he had recently broken up with his partner so maybe that that relationship had provided financial or other support...? Dunno. He seemed kind of stranded. 

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, terrymct said:

Isn't it reasonable to expect him to have thought about this before joining the show?   

When the show started filming, he was in a relationship.  Then he had the breakup.  Couldn't plan for that.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

When the show started filming, he was in a relationship.  Then he had the breakup.  Couldn't plan for that.

His significant other must have been his sole means of support, despite his saying that he had a busy design business.   

Again, based on what we've seen on the show, Geoffrey couldn't plan diddley squat.  Someone mentioned it earlier, but he really needs a business partner.  Someone to take care of the details and let him be free to design.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

“It's a shoulder holster with pockets. They're pretty common with burners, which is how I know about them.”

Googling “burners” brings up Burning Man. I had no idea that this was a thing.

Well, I knew about phone 'burners', and gun 'burners', but didn't think either of those would be germane in a Geoffrey discussion, lol.  Burning Man doesn't seem right either.  

• Love 3
On 3/8/2020 at 9:32 AM, Ashforth said:

As a woman with baby fine, stick straight hair (who was traumatized in my adolescence by Farrah Fawcett being the ultimate hair goal), I have always been envious of women with bountiful hair.

Oh my gosh me too! I had an awful perm in the 80's because, you know, big hair, and I tried everything in the 90's to get "The Rachel" which wasn't curly, but did have a lot of body on top. I cannot do it. Baby fine and stick straight, and as I entered my forties, thinner too......Victoria's hair is the only thing I like about her.

I thought these were the most lackluster collections from finalists maybe ever. I liked Sergio's gray fringe strapless dress. That is all. The rest all looks dated, weird, or in no way fashion forward at all. And that goes for all of them. I guess I am rooting for Nancy or Geoffrey because I think they would benefit most from the mentorship, but I question even that after the CFDA guy told Vic to make those hideous hats her signature. Just no.

I think the greatest travesty will be if Victoria wins. It will be the worst winner, to me anyway, since Gretchen........

• Love 9
On 3/8/2020 at 7:40 PM, theatremouse said:

That's true but usually on this show, at least as far as I recall, the city/state they usually list in the text on screen for a given contestant is usually where they currently reside, not where they grew up. So if his residence was NY the entire time he was participating in the show, it is a little weird they'd show him as from Austin. Although you're not wrong, that's likely a producer's call, not his.

I’ve randomly chosen your post to respond to — what about Victoria? She’s not in Moldova. 

• Love 1

So what’s up with Victoria’s house? That was Southern California? Where the heck can you get a house with a nicely landscaped back yard with a pool - did I really see that? - on a truck driver’s salary. I can’t imagine he cashed out his lackluster athletic career with a big pile of dough.

And Sergio’s place in NYC was quite posh, bound to be $$$$. 

Doesn’t quite add up.

And Sergio . . . “This is going to be such an important collection for humanity.” Dude really is a pill. I want to give him credit as overcompensating for some really painful sense of inadequacy but dang it’s obnoxious. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, terrymct said:

It's to hold his sewing tools while he's working, like the pocketed aprons some other designers wear.  But in Geoffrey's case, he had to go with something that less functional and more fitting into a very specific, somewhat dated, style he likes to rock.    It's like the leather biker dude from the Village People decided to pursue a career in fashion.   

So he carries scissor, needles a ruler etc in a holster jammed up under his armpits? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Brookside said:

When Elaine kept banging on about Sergio's first look being too sheer, I wondered how come she hadn't noticed Karlie Kloss's completely sheer blouse and bubblegum pink bra?

I don't think her issue was so much that it was sheer - it was more how he was doing the sheer. I think it was more that she thought the peek of thong sticking up in the back was gross.......

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I don't think her issue was so much that it was sheer - it was more how he was doing the sheer. I think it was more that she thought the peek of thong sticking up in the back was gross.......

I completely agree with her.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, EssieMay said:

So what’s up with Victoria’s house? That was Southern California? Where the heck can you get a house with a nicely landscaped back yard with a pool - did I really see that? - on a truck driver’s salary. I can’t imagine he cashed out his lackluster athletic career with a big pile of dough.

And Sergio’s place in NYC was quite posh, bound to be $$$$. 

Doesn’t quite add up.

And Sergio . . . “This is going to be such an important collection for humanity.” Dude really is a pill. I want to give him credit as overcompensating for some really painful sense of inadequacy but dang it’s obnoxious. 

I was wondering about the house, too. Maybe it's a rental or there's some family money.

2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I don't disagree about the thong, but I found Kloss's pink bra equally offensive. 

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3

As I see it, all the final designers are doing exactly what they've always done.  Victoria's clothes always had an eastern european look to them.  Geoffrey designed costumes.  His work in latex and for performers were costumes and his final collection has the same look.  Sergio designed Billy Porter's outfit the for Tonys just before he started Project Runway and he still prefers to make runway looks.  Nancy designed for various lines without (per her own words) getting any acknowledgement for her talents.  She is going to have to work to develop a broader aesthetic.

It disturbed me when there was praise for developing separates and items which could be worn right now.  If the judges wanted separates or ready to wear in the final collections, they should of said so.  Reminds me of the Gretchen win. Sometimes, the judges just get it wrong. For example, Dmitry Sholokov recently won the Metropolitan Fashion Award for Designer of the Year and Michele Lesniak is still in Portland with her little shop open by appointment.

I think Victoria will win.  The judges have been slobbering over her from the beginning. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

But wasn't that because the model showed up in a black thong? (Or was that earlier on in the episode?) Cardinal rule of modelling, wear nude. In my dim memory, Sergio was taken aback, but improvised something to cover it more.

55 minutes ago, Pattycake2 said:

For example, Dmitry Sholokov recently won the Metropolitan Fashion Award for Designer of the Year

Be still, my heart!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

But wasn't that because the model showed up in a black thong? (Or was that earlier on in the episode?) Cardinal rule of modelling, wear nude. In my dim memory, Sergio was taken aback, but improvised something to cover it more.

in the final runway, her thong was nude. But it still showed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Was Geoffrey really red on other people’s’ screens?  Why is he so red?

I really question our judges.  Sergio got dinged because who would wear his clothes?  Only a small group of people!  Why wouldn’t those same words have been spoken to Geoffrey?

Mr. CFDA judge?  I really question his taste level.  I feel validated that some of you hated Victoria’s baseball hats as much as me.  I was so confused when he praised them.  And then when Sergio described his theme, he was told it should be more literal, easy for the audience to figure it out.  Really?  In the past, there has always been advice to not be so literal.  So what, he should make costumes shaped like melting glaciers?

I honestly am rooting for none of the above this season.  My first pick, at the start of the season, was Brittany, and then it was Nancy, but I feel like she would be an odd choice.  Geoffrey will fall apart whether he wins or loses.  I can’t see Sergio benefitting from an apprenticeship and I just don’t like Victoria.  So, yeah, none of the above.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Pattycake2 said:

Sergio designed Billy Porter's outfit the for Tonys just before he started Project Runway and he still prefers to make runway looks. 

When Sergio hits a home run, it's awesome.  But he also slips a bit and designs for the social scene at the Del Boca Vista adult living community.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Tiggertoo said:

I really question our judges.  Sergio got dinged because who would wear his clothes?  Only a small group of people!  Why wouldn’t those same words have been spoken to Geoffrey?

Mr. CFDA judge?  I really question his taste level.  I feel validated that some of you hated Victoria’s baseball hats as much as me.  I was so confused when he praised them.  And then when Sergio described his theme, he was told it should be more literal, easy for the audience to figure it out.  Really?  In the past, there has always been advice to not be so literal.  So what, he should make costumes shaped like melting glaciers?

I frequently feel like the judges give conflicting advice and contradict themselves to suit whatever narrative the producers have decided for the contestants.

18 hours ago, Pattycake2 said:

I think Victoria will win.  The judges have been slobbering over her from the beginning. 

I am hopeful that it is like Brandon or Hester Sunshine in that they got the bulk of the praise over the season only to have the quiet but consistently good designer win.........In this case, I'm not sure who that is as no one has really stood out as the best........I think at this point it's a race for who is least mediocre......

• Love 4
On 3/9/2020 at 9:19 PM, answerphone said:

Question: what exactly is that holster thing he wears in the workroom? It looks like a combination posture corrector and underarm sweat collector.

I know we already answered this question, but I'm finally catching up on Next in Fashion and one of the contestants (Marco) is wearing a holster too!