Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Classic: Re-Airings, Past Casts, Past Sketches, Past Hosts, the Past

vb68
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Is anyone watching the 10/26 Halloween special and seeing odd editing? Like commercial breaks in the middle of skits?

Is anyone else seeing this? The Wes Anderson movie parody cut off and went straight to the local news. Is this just a local thing?

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Is anyone watching the 10/26 Halloween special and seeing odd editing? Like commercial breaks in the middle of skits?

16 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Is anyone else seeing this? The Wes Anderson movie parody cut off and went straight to the local news. Is this just a local thing?

I saw it. I thought it was some weird shit going on at my local NBC affiliate or something. After seeing your posts I see it wasn't.

• Useful 2

That Halloween special was funny, but a total mess. Is something like that really that hard to produce so that it runs smoothly? It wouldn't seem to be, but every sketch was weirdly edited. 

I was kind of disappointed the David S. Pumpkins animated special wasn't on last night. I figured that was going to be an annual thing. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DXD526 said:

That Halloween special was funny, but a total mess. Is something like that really that hard to produce so that it runs smoothly? It wouldn't seem to be, but every sketch was weirdly edited. 

I assumed that the editing was because they were trying to cram in as many different sketches as they could and therefore needed to trim. And that the Wes Anderson one at the end got cut off because they still ran over. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Yeah the massive screwups was on NBC, not the local affiliates.  That was beyond annoying but I wanted to see David S Pumpkins. Which of course the last one shown. 

What?  I watched on the West Coast, and the original David S. Pumpkins was the second sketch to be shown (after the 2008 party cold open).  I did not see every segment, but the last segment was the John Hamm/Will Forte trick or treat scene -- and was not interrupted by a commercial.  

Robert Evans, producer ("Chinatown" among many others) and studio chief, has passed away. 

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-evans-dead-dies-chinatown-producer-1203385589/

I'm posting this here because one of the first things I and a few others thought of was the unsettling sketch Michael McKean did about him (and his recent autobiography) in one of the episodes (Sarah Jessica Parker/REM) I consider an all time low point for SNL. 

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-casting-couch/2860988

On 10/27/2019 at 9:40 PM, freddi said:

What?  I watched on the West Coast, and the original David S. Pumpkins was the second sketch to be shown (after the 2008 party cold open). 

I guess the drunk person went home and they fixed it for the West Coast.  

• Love 3
On 10/26/2019 at 6:47 PM, vb68 said:

Thanks. I LOVE the Vincent Price sketches.

It still gets me that the first Vincent Price sketch was Bill and Kristin's sixth episode ever. They both completely own the sketch, and it's so hard to think now of any featured players that get to star in their own sketches without having previously worked on SNL in any capacity (like Mikey)

• Love 3
10 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

What time does it air on the West Coast? I know the live show airs at 8:30 there, which I love when I visit my brother in Seattle.  Does the replay/vintage ep air after, at 10pm?

Yes, the vintage show airs at 10:00 PM, after the live new show, then we get the new show airing *again* at 11:35.  

Edited by freddi
On 10/29/2019 at 2:40 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

It still gets me that the first Vincent Price sketch was Bill and Kristin's sixth episode ever. They both completely own the sketch, and it's so hard to think now of any featured players that get to star in their own sketches without having previously worked on SNL in any capacity (like Mikey)

What's great about this sketch too is you can kind of pinpoint it as the place where Mulaney (who was also hired this season) started working with Bill a lot. Apparently Mulaney pitched the line "Save your sassy asides for your window-less bars, Liberace", which Bill loved. 

• Love 2

So it looks like tonight's vintage episode is Melissa McCarthy 's first. Is that the one with the ranch dressing sketch?  I remember thinking that whole episode was a real dud, then seeing that the whole internet disagreed with me.  I'll have to watch tonight and see if my opinion has changed 

I wonder if there's any particular reason they've chosen this one for tonight?I

ETA. Yeah , Keenan can just sit in the background and react to things for the rest of time, I'd be okay with that.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 2
On 11/2/2019 at 9:55 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I remember thinking that whole episode was a real dud, then seeing that the whole internet disagreed with me.  I'll have to watch tonight and see if my opinion has changed 

I watched the repeat also and I agree with you.  The only thing I enjoyed was Jason Sudeikis. 

I tuned in late and was in shock to see an actual vintage episode. It's weird to think an episode from 1999 is considered vintage now which makes me feel so old. I was kinda bummed to see who the host was while being happy to see who the musical guest was.

40 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

The 10 pm repeat is the Jerry Seinfeld/David Bowie episode.

Which means Seinfeld in Oz! 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I tuned in late and was in shock to see an actual vintage episode. It's weird to think an episode from 1999 is considered vintage now which makes me feel so old. I was kinda bummed to see who the host was while being happy to see who the musical guest was.

Interesting to see the cold open had both a woman playing a male politician and Donald Trump. Plus ça change, indeed.

Wow, if I ever had seen that cold open with "The Donald," I certainly don't remember it.  Imagine if the magic future machine had told us that one of those characters would be the President of the U.S.  

I'm guessing they are re-airing this because of the death of Rick Ludwin, the NBC executive who championed Seinfeld.  They showed an image of him in one of the breaks of the live SNL, without comment.  He has been getting on-air tributes this week, especially from comics who are now hosts.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Jaded said:

That's one of my favorite skits.

SNL Thanksgiving airs tonight 9-11pm EST for anyone who wants to have those old sketches on as you get ready and prepare yourself for dealing with your relatives!😜 I want to say they always lead off with Debbie Downer.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, vb68 said:

SNL Thanksgiving airs tonight 9-11pm EST for anyone who wants to have those old sketches on as you get ready and prepare yourself for dealing with your relatives!😜 I want to say they always lead off with Debbie Downer.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here are a few other Thanksgiving sketches they put on Youtube, including one from Phil's last episode...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

Someone put it here.

I love you. 

It's too bad it's missing the best one, the one where they're all HAPPILY sitting and enjoying dinner, only for the father to once again declare, "Fuck this, I'm leaving."

Edited by Camille
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I saw bits and pieces last night. Did they show the Rebok Pump version of a turkey? Or the Black Friday commercial? For some reason, "That's right, coked-up rooster!" is hilarious for me.

2 hours ago, Camille said:

The "Mister Robinson's Neighborhood" skit made me laugh as always, especially in light of the "Mr. Rogers" movie that just came out--he LOVED it.

And isn't Eddie getting award buzz for his portrayal of Rudy Ray Moore as well? Also, you think Fred liked Eddie's parodies? I'd like to think so

• Love 1

Just watched the Thanksgiving special and my favorite skit from the show was the dinner with Paltrow and for some reason when she says "shut up biotch!" I howl every time. Not sure why but it is so funny.

I just had it on in the background as I did stuff, but I always realize when I see him how much I miss Taran on the show. I think he did good character work and was pretty charismatic.

• Love 3
On 11/28/2019 at 11:42 PM, Camille said:

The "Mister Robinson's Neighborhood" skit made me laugh as always, especially in light of the "Mr. Rogers" movie that just came out--he LOVED it.

I hadn't seen that one in forever!  That was fun.

Most of the sketches were either "I remember this - ugh, don't need to rewatch" - skip forward; or "I remember this - it was fun, but I don't need to see it yet again" - skip forward.  I think I watched the whole 2 hours in about 15 minutes.  But I still have a soft spot for "vacation in your hometown" (fitness center!  business center!)  and "the girls are home" (bowls!).  Maybe at some point in the future they'll be skippable, but not yet.

49 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Tonight’s “vintage” episode from 2016 - I almost switched to something else at the end, but there was Wells for Boys!

That takes any regret I may have felt due to accidentally deleting the episode from my DVR a bit ago.

Scarlett's latest hosting gig led SNL's Youtube channel to upload some old sketches...I wasn't expecting much to care about, to be honest, but this sketch has an absolutely phenomenal performance from Will Forte, one of the most underrated cast members the show will ever have. 

Aside from Tina Fey, Seth Meyers, Maya Rudolph (who was on maternity leave), Chris Parnell (you can hear his voice though) and Kenan Thompson, you get the entire cast here. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

A good choice for the Vintage episode tonight. I thought they chose it because it was a Christmas episode, but with the opening skit referring to Clinton's impeachment, my guess is that's the other reason they did.

I've never forgotten how utterly glorious the musical performance was--Pavorotti, Vanessa Williams, and the Harlem Boys Choir singing "Oh Come,  All Ye Faithful" in Latin and English was sheer magnificence.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Camille said:

A good choice for the Vintage episode tonight. I thought they chose it because it was a Christmas episode, but with the opening skit referring to Clinton's impeachment, my guess is that's the other reason they did.

I've never forgotten how utterly glorious the musical performance was--Pavorotti, Vanessa Williams, and the Harlem Boys Choir singing "Oh Come,  All Ye Faithful" in Latin and English was sheer magnificence.

Everything old is new again! Or something like that. I had not remembered that Delicious Dish and the Jimmy Fallon back to the future (or, again, something like that) were in the same episode. And John Goodman- vintage cameo!

• Love 1