Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Classic: Re-Airings, Past Casts, Past Sketches, Past Hosts, the Past

vb68
  • Start Topic

On 4/10/2017 at 11:36 AM, Hanahope said:

Yeah, I obviously didn't watch much SNL during this time because I honestly don't remember Jimmy Fallon on the show much at all (and frankly, I don't like him replacing Seth Myers in WU).  I i only got half the Jeter show (due to pre-emption of Philly baseball, lol), so about all I saw was WU, the skits afterwards were meh.  I liked Shakira though.

I think you got the order wrong ! Jimmy was on with Tina and after that was Tina and Amy ! Then, Amy And Seth were the Anchors on Week End Update ! Then, Seth was by himself ! Then, they had Cecily and Colin ! Then, they had Colin And Michael Che !

On the Jamie Foxx episode, I didn't get the Maine courtroom sketch. They came off more like they were from Louisiana rather than Maine. I couldn't tell if that was part of the joke, or if the writers legitimately did not know the difference between Maine and Louisiana. 

1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

On the Jamie Foxx episode, I didn't get the Maine courtroom sketch. They came off more like they were from Louisiana rather than Maine. I couldn't tell if that was part of the joke, or if the writers legitimately did not know the difference between Maine and Louisiana. 

No, That WAS the joke ! I think the writers DO know the difference between Maine and Louisiana !

6 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

There was a line in there about the fact that they had come to Maine after Katrina and ended up staying, I think.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Have you ever seen the show North Woods Law, set in Maine?  I figured they were talking about that region, as the people are... seemingly "southern."  Lots of shootin' turkeys from the road, over-fishin' while drinkin.'  I was not aware Maine had such woodsy people until I saw this show.

Edited by heatherchandler
On 9/2/2018 at 12:53 AM, bref said:

Why do you think that might be, Phish? Anyone? 

Senator McCain showed great good humor in his episode. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it.

I'm sorry that he died, BUT I Hated where he said Actors should stick to acting and not be involved with Politics ! Then, John McCain Jumped up and down as he sang Papa, Can You Hear Me that Barbara Streisand Sang form Yentl  ! He looked So Silly and that was a Serious song and in the Movie, her Father had a Heart Attack !

On 3/4/2019 at 5:23 PM, Lantern7 said:

I had the same thought. “Kick his ass, Luke.” “I’m the only one here getting any laughs.”

I know the “90218” sketch was when Jason Priestly was hosting. I think that was also the one with the cold open of him figure skating at the Olympics and epically eating shit.

I liked when Jason Priestly hosted and they had audience asking questions ! Every Body kept asking about Luke  ! Then, I don't know if some of them were writers or if they were just regular people, but I liked that woman that said her question was not about Luke. Jason said Finally ! What's your question ? She said Dylan McKay and Jason said that is Luke and she said well, He's HOT !

On 3/27/2019 at 7:03 PM, helenamonster said:

I remember not liking Cecily in the role and feeling like she was too inexperienced--she was promoted to WU in only her second or third year and it didn't feel earned. She was with Seth for about half a season until he left and was replaced with Colin...and next to Colin, Cecily looked like the second coming of Tina Fey. Their pair-up was dire and they had no chemistry, but at least I "knew" her in a way that I did not know the sentient jar of mayonnaise with the bad haircut next to her.

When they got rid of Cecily for Michael, who ended up being a sexist marble mouth, she did suddenly seem a lot more appealing. I don't want her back in the role--I'm still not confident it's the right fit and she shines so well in the rest of the show that she doesn't need it. She's probably one of the most dependable cast members we currently have: she can do characters, impressions, and play the straight (wo)man. She doesn't steal focus, rarely breaks, and almost never flub lines. I feel like she gets to be a utility player in a way that most female cast members never do. I see her having a really strong (pun not intended but acknowledged) post-SNL career, especially since she's also pretty conventionally attractive and that never hurts in this business.

I have no idea who the next WU anchor(s) will be, but it'll still be a party over here when Colin and Michael are finally gone. Maybe depending on their replacement I'll be pining for the days of their forced banter and self-congratulating smugness, but as it stands now they can't leave soon enough.

If Beck Leaves, then, maybe Alex and Mikey would be the Anchors ! Alex has been on Week End Update and Mikey has a Good voice ! ! IF Beck is still there, then try Beck and see how he does !

On 4/30/2019 at 11:01 AM, Pete Martell said:

For Sandler's upcoming episode, SNL's Youtube channel put up three old sketches. I saw the inevitable talk of how the show was funnier then, and a lot of talk of how hilarious Chris Farley was and how he carried the sketches all by himself, and so on. I sometimes wonder if I'm too hard on Farley, as I do think he had a great deal of talent and charisma, but no - he's still doing the same incoherent screaming through sketches that drove me away from the show back then. While there was a certain raw edge to SNL in that period that understandably resonated with many (especially as they've aged as have that as a formative memory of happier years), I would still say, even with the dead spots and awful political humor and flat attempts at namechecking pop culture moments instead of actually commenting on them, that I enjoy the current show more. 

(it's also kind of sad seeing Phil Hartman, near the end of his run, having to play a heavy in an interminable Canteen Boy sketch).

This is probably the best of the three they put up.

Chris Farley did not always scream ! Chris Farley did not scream with Lunch Lady, His Talk Show OR Chippendales !

• Love 2

Conan O'Brien talks to Tom Hanks about first meeting him when he was a writer on SNL:

The monologue they were talking about with Conan in a bit part and musical guest Keith Richards:

• Love 1

OMG, the Madeline Kahn episode!  I saw it when it aired back in 1976, and I could still sing along with her rendition of "MOTHER".  And the slumber party skit slayed.  Just so sad thinking that she and Gilda both died of ovarian cancer so young (MK at 57, GR at only 42).  😟  Kahn was a trained operatic singer, so I'm glad the episode made good use of her singing skill.  And she looked gorgeous!  Many of her comedic roles dowdied her up a bit, but she was quite stunning.

Carly Simon was notorious for stage-fright back then, so I wasn't surprised that her clip was pre-recorded.  Nice of Lorne to allow that. I'm perpetually fuming that she isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  😡

• Love 6

I knew the Ryan Gosling episode would play the alien abduction sketch, and I wasn't disappointed. I wonder if Ryan asked for that hat so he could hide his face.

The Papyrus sketch is my all-time favorite, as a designer who works with multiple clients, one of whom insists on Papyrus for her business name. The last frame of that video made me LOL, and REALLY loudly. Wicked humor on the writer's part, choosing Comic Sans for the title page -- that font is hated by all designers. And I have a client who wants all her ads created using Comic Sans. It's a standing joke. Maybe too inside for most viewers, but I sure got a kick out of it.

Well done, show.

• Love 2

Rereading that Live from New York book and the account of the infamous Chevy and Bill fistfight. I'm sorry but I can't help cracking up at the thought of Bill screaming "MEDIUM TALENT!" at him. Lol he was being a bit generous there.

Chevy supposedly was a dick to the cast when he hosted again in the 80s; he supposedly made some crack about Robert Downey Jr's dad and another castmember's sexuality. Jeeeeeeeez. 

For the record, I never found Chevy funny even when he was on SNL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Rereading that Live from New York book and the account of the infamous Chevy and Bill fistfight. I'm sorry but I can't help cracking up at the thought of Bill screaming "MEDIUM TALENT!" at him. Lol he was being a bit generous there.

Chevy supposedly was a dick to the cast when he hosted again in the 80s; he supposedly made some crack about Robert Downey Jr's dad and another castmember's sexuality. Jeeeeeeeez. 

I've never believed anything so easily. Something about Chevy Chase always reeked of "raging douchenozzle" to me. 

And I never found him funny, either. He always came off either as smarmy and bland, or shrill and desperate. There's none of the ease, charisma, finesse, or heart possessed by other SNL greats.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I've never believed anything so easily. Something about Chevy Chase always reeked of "raging douchenozzle" to me. 

And I never found him funny, either. He always came off either as smarmy and bland, or shrill and desperate. There's none of the ease, charisma, finesse, or heart possessed by other SNL greats.

Amen to that. I've been watching the old SNL stuff and Chevy was overrated compared to John, Dan, and Bill. Even the shtick on WU when he was making faces at the camera or whatever just made me roll my eyes. John had a better face for that kind of stuff and he didn't even have try hard.

• Love 1

I’ve gotta say, tonight’s vintage episode (featuring the Biden vs Palin  VP debate) didn’t seem an awful lot older than the “prime time “ rerun with the 2020 (as of February) debate. Time is weird now, I guess. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I just rewatched the Farbers Meet the Coneheads skit from the Jack Burns episode in season 2. I still couldn't believe that Gilda and John cracked at the end...they are the last two SNL players you ever expect to crack. Especially Gilda, who famously stayed in character when Candace Bergen cracked in the Christmas special. 

Also notable was the goodnights because I know an inside story from Samurai Widow, his wife's book about about John's M letterman jacket that he wore for the end of that episode: he was giving a shoutout to a hospitalized little girl named Marixa he'd befriended. For several good nights that season, he'd hold up the M on his jacket and blow a kiss to the camera for her. The hospital said it made her night. Awwww.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

Lucy Lawless doesn't get why the "Stevie Nick's Fajita Roundup" sketch from when she hosted in 1998 was so popular. I do. People love song parodies as much as they do impressions!

Also curious who the unnamed "little bitch" of the cast she was referring to!

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Chris Kattan? Hey-o!

Yeah I figure if it was Norm MacDonald or anybody else she would have just called him an "asshole".

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Tonight's Vintage is season 28's Queen Latifah/Ms. Dynamite.

It will be the last for a few weeks apparently, and will be an episode that will be quite fascinating to see exactly what they can leave in, as it is from the early '00s period that doubled down hard on material that may not get the best response from the 2020 viewer. I also wonder if we will get plenty of "Who is Dean Edwards?" responses (I was watching at the time and even I barely remember him - he never had much of a chance, sadly). 

Here is a rundown of the episode so you can see the full slate. There is one absolute classic that I hope they will air (Give Up the Ham).

https://www.onesnladay.com/2020/04/19/march-8-2003-queen-latifah-ms-dynamite-s28-e14/

Robert Smigel has had some tweets recently talking about his early '90s SNL contributions, including his adding the breaking table part to the Matt Foley debut (the rest had been put together by Farley and Bob Odenkirk at Second City) and the classic Schmitt's Gay ad.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

Did I understand correctly, when Lawless hosted, only the writers and actors who were in the episode got paid each week? Is it still done that way? That really sucks for whoever is hosting to feel like they're taking an opportunity away from a cast member. I had no idea that was ever the case. 

i was wondering IF Kevin Nealon and Amy and Rachel were All on at the Same time ! I  Remember that Christmas Episode where Alec Baldwin was a Cobbler And They were just Elves ! The thing that confuses me is that Kevin was on with Dana and then Adam Sandler in the Late 80's and Early 90's ! How Ever, Rachel and Amy were on in the 2000's ! I would appreciate some body clearing that up for me !

3 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Queen Latifah/Ms. Dynamite on now. They’re airing a Regis & Kelly sketch. Great timing with Reege passing away today.

Too morbid?

No I was just about to post the same thing. Darrell really nailed him.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Jody said:

i was wondering IF Kevin Nealon and Amy and Rachel were All on at the Same time ! I  Remember that Christmas Episode where Alec Baldwin was a Cobbler And They were just Elves ! The thing that confuses me is that Kevin was on with Dana and then Adam Sandler in the Late 80's and Early 90's ! How Ever, Rachel and Amy were on in the 2000's ! I would appreciate some body clearing that up for me !

Hello Every Body. I Googled That With what years Each one of Them were on And I Found out that Was NOT Kevin Nealon that made A Face when Alec said things like A I Am A Cobbler B You Are Elves and He said Like D Santa Sent Me And C Oh You Know what I Mean Or Some Thing Like That ! I Thought Kevin Nealon made a Face like We All Mess Up a Line ! I Found out That Was Seth Meyers And NOT Kevin Nealon ! I Sure Thought That Looked Like Kevin Nealon Though ! I Really Don't Think IT Looks Like Seth ! I Guess That Is Seth Even Though It Doesn't Look like Seth !

While Queen was good, this episode reminded me why I quit watching during this time span. It couldn't even force a smile out of me. Then this being followed by John Mulaney's repeat ... I've seen that episode four times and I love it more each time. He actually makes me LOL. Go figure.

• Love 1
On 7/25/2020 at 5:23 PM, DXD526 said:

Did I understand correctly, when Lawless hosted, only the writers and actors who were in the episode got paid each week? Is it still done that way? That really sucks for whoever is hosting to feel like they're taking an opportunity away from a cast member. I had no idea that was ever the case. 

I believe the writers still get paid per sketch aired, but I can't imagine cast members only get paid when they appear in sketches. Maybe that was the case before the SAG-AFTRA merge (SNL cast members would have been under AFTRA when Lucy hosted), but I can't imagine that flying today.

Some SAG TV contracts will guarantee series regulars a certain amount of episodes, like 10 out of 13. Even if you end up not appearing in 10 episodes, they will still pay you for 10, plus more if they end up adding you to additional episodes. Maybe SNL contracts have a similar guarantee? It's always been murky where it fits in with that stuff though, since it doesn't operate like most other TV shows.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

While Queen was good, this episode reminded me why I quit watching during this time span. It couldn't even force a smile out of me.

The editing team really cleaned that episode up. This is my least favorite era of the show, in spite of many talented cast members. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

The Queen Latifah episode was spotty, but worth it for the Profiles in Jazz sketch. Latifah's bubbly portrayal of a singer oblivious to the discomfort of her audience was hilarious! I love how she just kept getting dirtier, despite their reaction. A shame she died young of 'a perfect storm of venereal diseases'! 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/26/2020 at 5:40 AM, Jody said:

Hello Every Body. I Googled That With what years Each one of Them were on And I Found out that Was NOT Kevin Nealon that made A Face when Alec said things like A I Am A Cobbler B You Are Elves and He said Like D Santa Sent Me And C Oh You Know what I Mean Or Some Thing Like That ! I Thought Kevin Nealon made a Face like We All Mess Up a Line ! I Found out That Was Seth Meyers And NOT Kevin Nealon ! I Sure Thought That Looked Like Kevin Nealon Though ! I Really Don't Think IT Looks Like Seth ! I Guess That Is Seth Even Though It Doesn't Look like Seth !

It's "A Always, B Be, C Cobbling," but he messed up and said "A Always, B Be, C Closing" which is his famous line from Glengarry Glen Ross.  Sidenote - if you haven't seen that movie (or play) - see it!!

Edited by heatherchandler
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

It's "A Always, B Be, C Cobbling," but he messed up and said "A Always, B Be, C Closing" which is his famous line from Glengarry Glen Ross.  Sidenote - if you haven't seen that movie (or play) - see it!!

That's right ! Now I remember about A Always B Be C Cobbling, But I Forgot About That ! He DID Say He Was A Cobbler And They Are Elves And Santa Sent him ! I DID See That Movie, But I Did Not Remember The Line Always Be Closing From Glengarry Glen Ross ! I Do Think He was Referring To Closing a Deal On A House Because He was a Real Estate agent and sold Houses in The Movie ! That Movie Was THE First Time I Ever Knew Alec Baldwin !

Does anyone remember, or have a copy of an old SNL skit about a coffee shop that uses the coffee you dumb in the garbage at Starbucks? If you know what I'm talking about. Could you please post it on YouTube, and let me know. I think it was Dana Carvey era. Thanks! dB

On 7/25/2020 at 7:19 PM, Lantern7 said:

Queen Latifah/Ms. Dynamite on now. They’re airing a Regis & Kelly sketch. Great timing with Reege passing away today.

Too morbid?

I love in the monologue how the audience got the joke right away when trumpets sounded and Horatio ran up in 16th century  costume yelling "Queen Latifah!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

@VCRTracking thank you for posting the video - it was nice to hear them talk about Phil, and some hints of cut sketches (the sandwich sketch sounds like something that would have come from Rob's last hosting stint [2000]). 

Rob has a podcast now which recently had some alum:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/stitcher/literally-with-rob-lowe/e/76549079 (Mike Myers)

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/stitcher/literally-with-rob-lowe/e/76749138 (David Spade)

Denny Dillon was interviewed about her time in the cast and what she's doing now. She also talks about how she learned she'd been let go from the show, and reveals that Mercedes Ruehl was nearly cast. 

https://www.vulture.com/article/denny-dillon-snl-interview.html

• Love 1

I always remember her from Saturday Night Fever as the girl who loved to watch Tony dance!  

Paula Spell talks to Kelly Clarkson about the SNL characters she created:

Kelly also had Rob Riggle last week and until he mentioned it I completely forgot he used to be a cast member! In 2005 when Kelly was musical guest. 

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Rob had almost nothing to do when he was on SNL - probably came in a year too early as it wasn't until Tina Fey began to leave her headwriter role and Bill Hader/Kristen Wiig/Jason Sudeikis/Andy Samberg joined that the show became more focused. Rob was even essentially replaced in the last few episodes of his season by Jason - he is barely in the last 3-4 episodes. 

At least he seems to have positive memories of his time there. 

Here are the two bits he had the most to do in:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/holding-cell/n11940

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-segment---leviticus/n11898

Paula Pell also had a recent AV Club interview talking about her SNL years, among other projects.

https://tv.avclub.com/1844693695

On 8/12/2020 at 8:15 PM, Pete Martell said:

Rob had almost nothing to do when he was on SNL - probably came in a year too early as it wasn't until Tina Fey began to leave her headwriter role and Bill Hader/Kristen Wiig/Jason Sudeikis/Andy Samberg joined that the show became more focused. Rob was even essentially replaced in the last few episodes of his season by Jason - he is barely in the last 3-4 episodes. 

At least he seems to have positive memories of his time there. 

Here are the two bits he had the most to do in:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/holding-cell/n11940

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-segment---leviticus/n11898

Paula Pell also had a recent AV Club interview talking about her SNL years, among other projects.

https://tv.avclub.com/1844693695

In that Leviticus bit when Rob put his leg up on the Update desk, it reminded me of him now on Holey Moley, doing the same thing to show off his loud golf pants.

Through the last few months of Seth's at home shows, his "A Closer Look" segments (which are all on Youtube) had SNL actors voicing various objects and interacting with him and each other. It's a ton of fun (they tend to just be in the first few minutes then he goes into his political piece). 

• Love 5
(edited)

NASCAR airs tonight in primetime instead of a classic episode.  I would hope they scrap the scheduled repeat in the regular show slot and air the full Chadwick Boseman episode.  That would be the right thing to do tonight.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, vb68 said:

NASCAR airs tonight in primetime instead of a classic episode.  I would hope they scrap the scheduled repeat in the regular show slot and air the full Chadwick Boseman episode.  That would be the right thing to do tonight.

My smart tv gets the ”Peacock”, so I’m taking matters into my own hands and watching it now. 

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wait, what? Now it’s Woody Harrelson? What’s up with that?

Yeah, they messed up all the way around with this one.

I just thought it was just so obvious a move....I guess that's what I get for thinking!

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Yeah, they messed up all the way around with this one.

I just thought it was was just so obvious a move....I guess that's what I get for thinking!

One of the bumper cards said Jennifer Lopez is next week.

They also did a bumper card tribute to Chadwick Boseman.  

And yeah, thinking is highly overrated.  I try never to do it. 

• Love 3