Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Classic: Re-Airings, Past Casts, Past Sketches, Past Hosts, the Past

vb68
  • Start Topic

"I've been listening to this hack romance novel crap-a-thon for 3 hours". 

Me a year after Titanic came out after realizing that it's not a good movie. 

I think a better tribute was to throw in Fish Heads, which he directed! (And still in shock at his death.) 

Oh, HOLY COW!  This 1992 repeat has "Opera Man" (Adam Sandler) singing the news in a mixture of Italian and nonsense.  One image was a blonde woman while he sang "exposa di esposo" (exposing the spouse), then an image of Donald Trump while Sandler sang "MUERTE, Ivana, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha".  Then I realized who the blonde woman was. 

This may be why this episode was chosen? 

• Love 5

A great episode. As the opening credits played, I remember what a great cast era this was. Other than Victoria Jackson and Rob Schneider, hardly an annoying person on the show. Funny enough I don't think I saw Jan Hooks in the opening credits but I know she was on that year (she played Hillary Clinton a lot.) Do they edit the opening credits to reflect only the cast members who appear on that show?

Gosh you could close your eyes when Jerry Brown was talking about corporate interests and hear them being said by Bernie. (Not the stuff about orgies in the governor's mansion!) Twenty-four years, and not much has changed.

I know people aren't fond of Colin Quinn but boy was Kevin Nealon so safe and corny. I do remember the guests on WU that era being strong - Opera Man, Cajun Boy, David Spade Hollywood Minute, etc.

Seinfeld's monologue was hacky and cliche but that's what his comedy is. But his Prophet Elijah was perfect. 

Seeing him gets me every time, no matter what role he is in. I can't believe 1992 was 25 years ago.

Agreed. Kathy Griffin wrote in her book that Phil Hartman may have been the kindest, most decent person she ever worked with (she knew him from Groundlings) and she's not one to be sentimental or easy with praise.  Everything he did on this show was wonderful. The range! 

One image was a blonde woman while he sang "exposa di esposo" (exposing the spouse), then an image of Donald Trump while Sandler sang "MUERTE, Ivana, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha"

Pretty sure it was Ivana. They divorced in 1992. Maybe Opera Man was excited about the prospect of a tell-all.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Funny enough I don't think I saw Jan Hooks in the opening credits but I know she was on that year (she played Hillary Clinton a lot.) Do they edit the opening credits to reflect only the cast members who appear on that show?

I'm sure she had moved on to Designing Women by that point, so she was not in the regular cast. I believe she had a special deal to appear as Hillary when she could fit it in, not unlike Alec Baldwin this season.

Edited by vb68
On 3/26/2017 at 9:48 AM, Inquisitionist said:

Oh, shoot, I wish I had recorded that one.  "I'm Elijah, the Prophet" always gets me!

The Elijah the Prophet sketch had such a Larry David feel to it. I wonder if Larry was there with him that week helping him write stuff.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Pretty sure it was Ivana. They divorced in 1992. Maybe Opera Man was excited about the prospect of a tell-all.

Oh, yes, it was Ivana -- I just did not realize it until I saw the Trump in the next image! 

Oh, I recognized Ivana. I remember all the tabloid coverage Trump's cheating affair with Marla Maples got while he was married to Ivana. Meanwhile, Elijah the Profit was one of the best sketches I've ever seen on this show. It needs to be added to SNL Classics. And yes, Phil Hartman ... I had such a crush on him from back in Pee Wee's Playhouse days. Such a heartbreaking loss.

• Love 1
On 3/26/2017 at 6:20 PM, Mumbles said:

Other than Victoria Jackson and Rob Schneider, hardly an annoying person on the show. 

I wasn't watching the show during this period, but whenever I've since seen Schneider in a sketch, I always thought he was funny. For instance, in this rerun, he was the best one in the Stand-Up and Win sketch. I also thought he was really good in Elijah the Prophet. From what I've read, I wouldn't like him in real life, but I think he was pretty funny on the show.

Stand-Up and Win was surprisingly good. Somehow the joke didn't get old.

That history class sketch is hilarious. Thanks for posting that, Traveller519.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed that "movie villains" sketch in the Bradley Cooper episode, which was basically just an excuse for Bill Hader to do his hilarious impression of Jamie Gumb from Silence of the Lambs. I think I remember hearing Bill say on a podcast once that he and John Mulaney had been trying to figure out a way to work the impression into a sketch, and they actually wrote a talk show sketch hosted by Gumb but the resulting sketch was "too dark" to ever air on SNL. "Trust me, I'm the all-time wrongest tree to ever bark up" does sound like a line that Mulaney would have written.

• Love 3
On 4/2/2017 at 8:14 AM, Phishbulb said:

I really enjoyed that "movie villains" sketch in the Bradley Cooper episode, which was basically just an excuse for Bill Hader to do his hilarious impression of Jamie Gumb from Silence of the Lambs. I think I remember hearing Bill say on a podcast once that he and John Mulaney had been trying to figure out a way to work the impression into a sketch, and they actually wrote a talk show sketch hosted by Gumb but the resulting sketch was "too dark" to ever air on SNL. "Trust me, I'm the all-time wrongest tree to ever bark up" does sound like a line that Mulaney would have written.

I loved that sketch too, which combined pop culture references and absurdism, a total Mulaney/Hader hallmark. And Bradley Cooper did look a lot like Johnny Lawrence.

Sad that this show never seemed to know what to do with Michaela Watkins.

There appeared to be only one female cast member in most of the Bradley Cooper sketches (aside from the "Sex" game show), and I have no idea who she was.  Might have been Michaela Watkins.  Was she on the show for only one year?

She was an awesome Hoda.   Maybe if the show had let Kristen do some less work, Michaela and Casey Wilson could have stayed longer.

Re: the Derek Jeter episode that was on Saturday, what the holy hell was up with Jimmy's hair during update.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Re: the Derek Jeter episode that was on Saturday, what the holy hell was up with Jimmy's hair during update.

We were in young Leo phase then, more than a few of us were still wearing our hair as messy "bangs." It's best to just forget about it.

Ah Derek Jeter's Taco Hole. One of my favourite musical skits of all time. I love how committed he is. Jeter is one of the few sports personalities that really took to the hosting gig, like Peyton Manning. I always pause the credits on the classic re-airings too to take a look at the writers who have made something for themselves. And there was Ken Tremendous himself, Mike Schur!

• Love 1

Yeah, I obviously didn't watch much SNL during this time because I honestly don't remember Jimmy Fallon on the show much at all (and frankly, I don't like him replacing Seth Myers in WU).  I i only got half the Jeter show (due to pre-emption of Philly baseball, lol), so about all I saw was WU, the skits afterwards were meh.  I liked Shakira though.

(edited)
On 4/6/2017 at 0:20 PM, cpcathy said:

I don't Michaela lasted even a whole season.

She and Abby Elliott weren't hired until after the election season that season when Amy Poehler was finally done on the show. She did last through the end of the season, and I thought she did good work.  As mentioned, she was by far the best Hoda opposite Wiig's Kathie Lee, and they never managed to successfully replace her.  I also quite enjoyed her "Bitch, Please" character on Update.  It was fun watching her go through all the various pronunciations of "bitch".

2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I honestly don't remember Jimmy Fallon on the show much at all (and frankly, I don't like him replacing Seth Myers in WU).

I'm not sure if you just mean watching Jimmy in a rerun compared to Seth, but just to avoid confusion Jimmy didn't replace Seth.  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

We were in young Leo phase then, more than a few of us were still wearing our hair as messy "bangs." It's best to just forget about it.

It was much more it looked like he hadn't washed it in months.  Bizarre. 

I loved Michaela (and Jenny and Abby and Casey, the Forgotten Female Quad of the Wiig Years), and I remember being really bummed when she didn't show back up for another season. Hearing her talk about being fired from the show on Marc Maron's podcast a year or so ago sort of sealed my perpetual dislike for Lorne as a person.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

Hearing her talk about being fired from the show on Marc Maron's podcast a year or so ago sort of sealed my perpetual dislike for Lorne as a person.

I didn't find the podcast, but I did find this.  I must not have been watching the show much that season, as I don't really remember Watkins at all, but some of the attitudes dissected in this article are infuriating.  Of course, Shales has always been a doofus.

• Love 2
On 4/3/2017 at 11:33 AM, Mumbles said:

She's always a treat when she shows up in something these days - like when she played Detective Chance Briggs' ex on Childrens Hospital :D

12 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I loved Michaela (and Jenny and Abby and Casey, the Forgotten Female Quad of the Wiig Years), and I remember being really bummed when she didn't show back up for another season. Hearing her talk about being fired from the show on Marc Maron's podcast a year or so ago sort of sealed my perpetual dislike for Lorne as a person.

Casey Wilson was *born* to play Penny in Happy Endings. I liked her on SNL but I'm kinda glad she got the boot if it meant we got that short-lived show. Glad's not the right word. In any case I hope we hear from her again. She's hilarious.

Late to the party, but watched the Derek Jeter ep last night on DVR and forgot how great that was. I think the Yankee Wives sketch is one of the best of its time, and is solid proof that this was when the women were really gonna carry the show. The massage skit with Chris Kattan *seems* like it's a borderline homophobic hot-guy-is-molested-by-gay-masseur one-note sketch, but that final twist is worth it (sad as it kind of is).

Also, 2001 Derek Jeter was a hunk and no wonder Mariah Carey wrote "Honey" about him. Allegedly.

Question about the Derek Jeter ep: Why did we have Shakra and Bubba Sparxx as musical guests? Did she only have the one single out at that time?

She did.  The second single ("Underneath Your Clothes") was released a few months later.  It wouldn't surprise me when SNL tried to book her they were told "you can book her IF you book Bubba as well."

Unless you get a woman that has an arsenal of impressions AND original characters (see Kate McKinnon) or is good at social commentary (Leslie Jones), it seems most of the new female recruits are not given enough time to figure out what works for them to be a long term player on the show, but at the same time, great audition pieces for down the road.  Sucks when they get fired, but at least with Casey and Michaela, they do find work often enough to be great utility players it sitcoms.

I remember when Colin Firth hosted weeks later and his monologue was the ladies on the show wanting to do Jane Austen scenes with him.

Maya: Please? When Ian McKellen was here, he only wanted to talk to Jimmy and Kylie Minogue!

• Love 2
On 5/6/2017 at 9:15 PM, M. Darcy said:

It's a good one tonight at 10 - from 2002 with Ian McKellen and Kylie Minogue. 

Ian's Maggie Smith still makes me laugh. 

OMG, that was great, about the only real good thing about that WU.  I have to say, Tina Fey does ok on WU, but man she must be so thankful Sarah Palin came along.

The only reason I sat through most of the rest of the skits was to see Ian's parts.  Man this year is not one of the better casts/writing.

3 hours ago, Hanahope said:

OMG, that was great, about the only real good thing about that WU.  I have to say, Tina Fey does ok on WU, but man she must be so thankful Sarah Palin came along.

Why would she be thankful? By the time Sarah came along, Tina was already considered a successful alum of SNL, having given up her duties as HW and WU host to create and star in 30 Rock.  That show was already in its 3rd season when Palin came on the scene.  Tina's take on Sarah was brilliant and celebrated but her appearances were outside of her regular work at that point.  I always saw them as favors to Lorne considering how many people had noticed their resemblance and were calling for her to take on the role.

• Love 6

I just watched the Ian McKellen ep, which I'd never seen before. So much fun. I just adore him. I watched the British comedy series Vicious with him and Derek Jacobi playing life-long gay partners. The absolute best part of the show was Ian. There's no one who can deliver a line, either comedic or dramatic, like him.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Tina was already considered a successful alum of SNL, having given up her duties as HW and WU host to create and star in 30 Rock.  That show was already in its 3rd season when Palin came on the scene.

I missed most of that time frame with SNL.  I watched here and there, but never thought the cast at that time was very funny, including Fey.  When I saw her Palin stuff, I thought she was still on the show.  

On 5/22/2017 at 9:31 AM, Hanahope said:

I saw Saturday's show was Jim Carrey with Soundgarden.  Did they plan that before Chris Cornell died?  It was erie watching Chris sing.  Going to miss him so much.

Very unlikely.  They aired the Bill Paxton episode the week he died (that one still hurts!) and when Jan Hooks passed away, they switched the Alec Baldwin one that they planned to air with the one he hosted the first or second time to showcase her. 

(edited)
On 5/17/2017 at 7:14 PM, peeayebee said:

I just watched the Ian McKellen ep, which I'd never seen before. So much fun. I just adore him.

My favorite memory of that show will always be Sir Ian sitting on the stage at the side hand dancing as musical guest Kylie Minogue performs "Can't Get You Out of My Head":

tumblr_n1trm9M3eJ1qcfm3ro2_400.gif

The SNL YouTube channel just uploaded this video from the Sean William Scott episodes that was weeks after 9/11. To think this was Amy Poehler's second show.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I watched it to see Amy's "Palin Rap" (while nine months pregnant) again, and it's still sublime.  It just makes me giggle that the real Palin was sitting right there and seemed oblivious.

And yeah, there was just so much going on this episode. Oliver Stone* appeared in the monologue (and seems like it should have been a much bigger deal), and Mark Wahlberg showed up to confront Samberg over the talking to the animals bit.  I remember wondering how much of that was truly a bit, and if he was truly a little not happy.  He just seems like he could sour rather easily.

* I also wonder if Oliver Stone and Sarah Palin had any interaction. Now that would have been a sketch!

But Josh Brolin was the forgotten man indeed.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Tonight's rerun is "Josh Brolin hosted, Adele was the musical guest and this episode was remembered for everything else BUT them." 

I don't know, I have a really distinct memory of Adele's performances on this episode. It was the first time I'd ever heard of her/seen her perform and I remember going from "who is this poor nervous girl, she doesn't look ready for this" to "oh my god who is this poor nervous girl and why have I never heard of her???"

But yes, there is a lot of greatness packed into this episode. Cosign the love for Amy's Palin rap. That truly might be the apex of her entire career.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, vb68 said:

I watched it to see Amy's "Palin Rap" (while nine months pregnant) again, and it's still sublime.  It just makes me giggle that the real Palin was sitting right there and seemed oblivious.

And yeah, there was just so much going on this episode. Oliver Stone* appeared in the monologue (and seems like it should have been a much bigger deal), and Mark Wahlberg showed up to confront Samberg over the talking to the animals bit.  I remember wondering how much of that was truly a bit, and if he was truly a little not happy.  He just seems like he could sour rather easily.

* I also wonder if Oliver Stone and Sarah Palin had any interaction. Now that would have been a sketch!

But Josh Brolin was the forgotten man indeed.

I loved the Mark Wahlberg bit. So fun! I wondered about how he really felt, too.

Happy to see Jean K Jean, too. Incroyable!

• Love 2