Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Part IV

• Start Topic

Have to agree.  Veering into SMDH territory and just unwatchable.  Hope the mid-season episode gives us a reason enough to care to tune in to the rest to see how it plays out, but with the way it's going, it's not looking likely.

• Love 6

I was intrigued the first couple episodes but now they are just spinning their wheels. The painter , who seemed to be an integral part of the story, now is just a random woman Nick wanted to kill. Is the rest going to just be Harry following Jaimie around? There needs to be some other twist because their isn’t much of a story as it is.

• Love 13
40 minutes ago, Orbert said:

I feel like they're doling out the story a little bit at a time, and relying on the strength of the acting performances and the occassional twist to keep us watching.  This time we learned that Nick actually wanted to die.  Maybe not at first, but once it was a possibility (and a good one), he insisted that Jamie not call 911.  Until this point, we were led to think that Jamie didn't call 911 because he found a way to be free of Nick without actually having to do anything.  It was a matter of *not* doing something, which is arguably easier.  We also learned what the deal was with the fortune teller (the manifold paper thingy).  I found it interesting that the the faux-psychic guy at the party turned out to maybe be a real psychic after all, and now he's dead.

But yeah, this type of show is not for everyone.  Someone said earlier that you could just watch the first and last episode of each each season.  Sure you could, if all you cared about is how Uncle Harry solves the case.  That's not the point of this show, though.  This is about the journey.  It may not be an interesting enough journey to keep everybody watching it, but this show isn't for them; it's for people who dig the atmosphere and the writing and all the philosophy along the way.  The discussions that Harry and Jamie have; the discussions that Nick and Jamie had (and apparently continue to have).

ITA.  I enjoy watching this play out, and seeing our assumptions about Jamie be proven incorrect.  I think Bomer is doing a fantastic job playing Jamie, I do wonder what he was like before Nick showed up.  Was he this restless? 

Each season has been based on a person who found themselves in a situation where they were threatened or manipulated by stronger, evil people. 

We hate seeing the best Chris be such a fucking psycho. 

• Love 10

I don’t think Nick wanted to die but accepted and even applauded Jamie for not helping him. I already figured the paper fortune teller was for their game so for me there was nothing new last night. I like seeing mysteries unfold but I want something new to unfold each episode.

• Love 1

I kept fixating on that neon arrow in the bar that showed up right after Jamie said something about going where the arrows take you. And the idea of randomness; the word "random" popped into my head when he picked up the piece of paper from the floor of the train while looking at the girl. And the Harry mentioned dark thoughts, which made me think again about OCD/intrusive thoughts.

5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I don’t think Nick wanted to die but accepted and even applauded Jamie for not helping him.

I don't think he wanted to die but I do think he would rather die than have Jamie abandon him again.  That's why he told Jamie not to call 911.  All he wanted was for Jamie to join him in the dark side of letting someone die.  He was willing to die to get him there. 

I was a little disappointed where this episode was going when they went nowhere with the hotel scenes.  I was glad the mass murder was a fantasy but it didn't really go anywhere.  I did enjoy where the show went later with Jamie playing cat and mouse with Ambrose and the revelation about how Nick really died.  

I also loved the beginning of how alive both Nick and Jamie were when Nick brought out that paper game. 

The hotel scene did turn out to be kinda pointless, didn't it?  Jamie and Harry were talking about something, and Jamie said something like "I'll show you" or "I'll prove it to you" and started up with the two other guys and it took off from there, but it ended rather abruptly when Jamie got a little too weird.  And while the mass murder scene definitely got a reaction from me, when it was revealed to be all in Jamie's head, I was relieved but also disappointed.  Disappointed that I fell for it again, but also that they'd pull the same trick again in the first place (the baby scene).  They'd established that the line would get blurry sometimes so maybe it's part of showing how Jamie's slowly coming unglued.  I hope they realize that there are only so many times they can do it before it starts pissing people off though.  (Like, they should probably stop now.)

• Love 3

The hotel scene did turn out to be kinda pointless, didn't it?  Jamie and Harry were talking about something, and Jamie said something like "I'll show you" or "I'll prove it to you" and started up with the two other guys and it took off from there, but it ended rather abruptly when Jamie got a little too weird. 

I think maybe what he was trying to prove was what he said earlier to Harry about people suddenly not wanting to be around you anymore if you start expressing those thoughts. But it was pretty convoluted and maybe that got a bit lost in all the crazy.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

Ah, that's what they were talking about, isn't it?  I think you're right about what Jamie's point was, and I for one missed that in all the crazy.  To get to where everyone suddenly stopped wanting to hang with him, he had to charm his way in first, bring in Uncle Harry, be the life of the party and all that, and then start with the weird shit.  He did manage to do all that, but by time they were told to leave, I'd forgotten that there was a point to be made at all.

Also, if Jamie weren't so charming and good-looking in the first place, it never would have worked.  He had to get in with them in order for them to reject him.

• Love 5

I'm liking this season so much more than the others.  The other two seasons were full of pointless red herrings.  This one is focused on the relationship between Jamie and Nick, and what Ambrose can do to try and understand it and keep Jamie from doing anyone else harm.

There's still time for them to screw it up, but I hope they won't.

• Love 3

This season is interesting.  I agreed with what Jamie's wife told him, that her father had to do manual labor in Jamaica, basically telling Jamie, "you've got it good honey."  And he does. 

And that's the problem.  On the surface Jamie has it all, but inside he doesn't.  He doesn't know what's wrong with him.  I think he feels disconnected.  He looked with disdain at the people on their devices.  Everybody on their devices, no one talking to each other, no one connecting.  I was on the elevator yesterday and all the students were all on their phones, no one speaking.  Years ago I'd get on an elevator and everybody would be talking about something.  Do devices make you feel less or more disconnected?

• Love 8

This episode just dragged on, I didn’t care for it much and I kept wondering why Ambrose didn’t just take Jamie to the hospital and have him committed as a threat to himself and others. He shouldn’t have taken Jamie home, he should’ve taken him back to the hospital. It felt like nothing really happened this episode and I was very disappointed with the reveal that the painter had absolutely no connection to Jamie and Nick and was just a random person they picked, I was expecting a more interesting and sinister twist than just that, that was disappointing. I’ve enjoyed this season so far but I’m not really sure what the twists will be from here on out. 

• Love 4

I’m not familiar with the actor playing Jamie but I must know, are his eyes always crazy like that or did they dilate them or put contact in?  It’s so intense I have to look away from time to time.

Bill Pullman is this show to me. 

• Love 1

Wasn't Nick digging the grave the last flashback we had on the show?  This time it was Jamie.  I still think that Jamie is the instigator and Nick the follower.  Makes me wonder if in his flashbacks he's switching them in his head.  It's an interesting thought, and it sure sounds like Nick has killed peeps before.  Ambrose could have a serial killer on his hands if the two are switched in Jamie's head.

• Love 1
(edited)

Finally got a chance to watch last night, and the DVR cut off just as Ambrose exchanged a look with the female officer outside the NY crime scene😬😬😬.   Can anyone tell me what was going on there?  I did watch the Inside clip on ep 4 and Matt’s comments about the party psychic guy were worrisome, that he knew Jamie’s crimes.    Did Ambrose seriously not go check on Leela and that cute baby before he headed there?  He never should have taken Jamie home😡.

Kiss my mutt, Matt Bomer has an incredibly expressive face and eyes.  I haven’t seen that much crazy here, but Google pics of MB or Neal Caffry/White Collar to see his eyes gleaming with affection, humor, slyness, concern.....

Edited by TarHeelmissy
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, TarHeelmissy said:

Finally got a chance to watch last night, and the DVR cut off just as Ambrose exchanged a look with the female officer outside the NY crime scene😬😬😬.   Can anyone tell me what was going on there?  I did watch the Inside clip on ep 4 and Matt’s comments about the party psychic guy were worrisome, that he knew Jamie’s crimes.    

Spoiler

The psychic was brutally murdered.

Edited by skotnikov
(edited)

With an officer saying the guy is a danger to himself and others and then hearing the comments about dropping a baby……that was enough for the doctor to put him on at least a 72 hour hold.  

This is a crazy season.  The detective with a limp is pitiful.  I’m just not buying it.  The story seems so contrived.  I don’t find it interesting to watch the detective neglect his medical condition, abuse medication and not get adequate rest, all the while trying to tackle a frantic guy and hit on a romantic interest. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 3/1/2020 at 11:38 AM, Lady of nod said:

Did anyone else want Jamie to just jump off the damn building? 

Yes!

Anyway, Jamie is insufferable. Some of his stuff about the meaninglessness of life or thinking about what the point of it all is and fearing that nothing happens when we die are not completely off the mark. I think they're things that people do worry about at times. They're things we do fear. Maybe not everyone, but I wouldn't think that it's as completely outside of the scope of the average human experience as he seems to. I imagine it's a crisis of faith that a lot of people have when, for example, they get ill. So for that reason I thought this might be an interesting season, because it seemed to be interested in a dark topic that we tend to avoid, but that IS in the back of our minds. What if there's nothing more? What if we just die and there's nothing? What's the point of anything, then? Etc, etc. 

But the guy will just not. shut. up. On and on and on with the speeches. Dude, you're so obsessed with death, then just jump off the damn building and be done with it. Spare us. By now he's not compelling, he's repetitive and tedious.

I also don't see how one goes from those feelings to KILLING PEOPLE. Jamie and Nick are just psychopaths who think they're better than other people, and who lack empathy. The stuff about the meaningless of life is just an excuse to do bad things with impunity, things that give them a rush. It's one thing to give yourself near death experiences, which seems to be what Jamie was gonna do when the dug the grave (I think that's what they did in college together). It's another thing TO KILL PEOPLE. Wtf does that have to do with anything?

Harry spending the whole night chasing Jamie then deciding at that very moment to take a pain pill that he knew would make him sleep (he had even said so in a previous episode) was contrived and ridiculous.