Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: The Fiery Cross

Athena
  • Start Topic

Am I the only one uncomfortable with a burning cross and its relationship (in the future/our past) to the KKK?  I thought that Claire, Brianna, and Roger might have had a more modern reaction to it, but they are white so they might not be expected to have the same visceral reaction as me.

Otherwise, enjoyed the new season start.  Hoping to see more of Fergus and Marsali than we got in the past couple of seasons.

ETA:

Forgot to mention that I am happy Frank was remembered during the wedding.

Edited by nara
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, nara said:

Am I the only one uncomfortable with a burning cross and its relationship (in the future/our past) to the KKK?  I thought that Claire, Brianna, and Roger might have had a more modern reaction to it, but they are white so they might not be expected to have the same visceral reaction as me.

Otherwise, enjoyed the new season start.  Hoping to see more of Fergus and Marsali than we got in the past couple of seasons.

ETA:

I think that’s why they used a Celtic cross rather than a Roman one a North American audience would associate with the KKK. But yes, Claire & Brianna are white, Claire was even not raised in the USA, and Bree was raised in Boston. They aren’t going to have the same visceral reaction you or I would have to a burning cross. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 2/18/2020 at 9:56 AM, taanja said:

haha! I'll have to watch again -- this time specifically looking for that baby!

All I know is when Fergus and whatshername rescued Murtagh from jail -- their baby was small enough to lay in a basket in the back of the cart/wagon and then 6 months later he looks to be about 3-4 years old.

Looks like you were right about the baby. In episode 2 

Spoiler

It’s clear Marsali has two children. 

2 hours ago, nara said:

ETA:

honestly, for me until you brought it up, I didn't even think of it. 

On 2/23/2020 at 8:04 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I think that’s why they used a Celtic cross rather than a Roman one a North American audience would associate with the KKK. But yes, Claire & Brianna are white, Claire was even not raised in the USA, and Bree was raised in Boston. They aren’t going to have the same visceral reaction you or I would have to a burning cross. 

Well, that particular Scottish tradition is what was corrupted by the KKK in their crossburnings.  I think that the producers were smart to use a Celtic cross.  They said that they figured it would disturb people less.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 2/21/2020 at 9:32 AM, Cdh20 said:

I think it's supposed to be later that same year, probably 5/6 mths later(still 1770?)

I can’t speak to the aging of the children or the buildup of the settlement, but if it’s 157 years before Fleming discovers penicillin in 1928, that makes it 1771.

• Useful 5

I purposefully held off on starting this as I was bingeing The Last Kingdom, which for any GoT fans, is as good, if not better, than the best of Got. Although no dragons. But it does have any easy-on-the-eyes hero and is loosely based on British history with Alfred the Great as the main historical figure.

Anyway, back to topic and possibly unpopular, but I really loved this episode. The gorgeous scenery alone was a feast for the eyes. 

But we got to see a young Murtagh and wee Jamie and those are verra verra good things, ya ken?

dfad60a241f0d433972b1a4ae6e5cc306eea75bf

I can't decide if I prefer young brunette Murtagh to the silver fox he is in present day (well, not really, but YKWIM). 

The revamped theme song was beautiful and I loved the mix of Americana in the credits with the Redcoats (boo!) and their cannons, the sweeping view of Fraser's Ridge and Jamie and Claire's new home, the buffalos, and some of the old, familiar footage from S1 mixed in.

717542752_FraserHome.thumb.jpg.c0ae7fde967b54e312ea22eb95422c62.jpg

Then the scene with Jamie helping Roger prepare for his wedding day, including him helping a decidedly-nervous Roger shave.

9a8158fe521dc4d58e752d5035cbbfb502ba8d3c

I see you, TPTB, trying to age up Jamie with those spectacles. 

And praise be, they finally found a wig that works for Jamie.

ITA that Roger would make an excellent schoolteacher/professor, given his love of history and learning. There's a trade for you right there. 

Later, that moment with Claire and Jamie alone, with Claire happy that she is getting to witness Bree's wedding when she wouldn't have thought it possible and Jamie somewhat saddened by Bree marrying Roger when he's only recently had her in his life. She'll be living close by in the cabin (hella nice wedding gift!!!) so it'll be okay, Jamie.

Then we have one of my favorite scenes in the whole series - Jamie helping his daughter put the finishing touches on. I never got to experience that as my father hasn't been in my life for many years, so I'll freely admit that I teared up watching that. 

His face, when he sees her in her wedding finery for the first time:

78bc7a29a61f930a83799c6dbefe943919a8878b

He tries to hide the tears in his eyes .

db6812bd09c832f0f694f6038c301db21d58b49e

Squee to him placing the pearls around her neck:

b9de048ba571a6322ae7564eccc702c6994160e0
J

He tells her: “It is a blessing you came to me."

Bree: “No matter where I am, I will always be your wee girl."

He kisses her forehead.

977e3bad1d78015e3c9c14fc522af88667ae13ab

And where are my Kleenex, people?

All too soon, the moment arrives and after throwing back a quick nip, they head outside where the people of Fraser's Ridge have gathered as Jamie announces his arrival and yes, I got a little thrill out of this:

5a13a42da0ddab0037718ca2f31d111b78633d41

Hell yeah they are!

I absolutely loved that they had the flashbacks to Jamie and Claire's wedding as Roger and Bree said "I do."

8a98a9d68ec00f5a8733e1b7107fa0a1af5e7c4e

f2789881a7dc235cfa65fe8f270ea5483ce4f140

And we had that adorable cut to Fergus and Marsali, every inch still in love.

9623badeb5cb560012bc5f78c91bd8ae45595a0c

I hope we see more of them this season.

But then, the joy of the day is cut short for Brianna as she overhears the news that her rapist is still alive. And we most certainly did NOT need to see a flashback of her rape. We remember it well and the pain visible on her face on what should have been the happiest day of her life was enough.

Later we have the reception where tongue twisters are apparently the it thing. LOL to Marsali's reaction to LJG (looking as fine as ever) to wanting to sub in Shakespeare instead.

2b97a0f4661b2b06843405fdd84e56e38f0aed21

I was perfectly fine with all the couples getting down to business that night., including Jocasta with Murtagh because damn, I'd get myself some, too, girl. I appreciated Roger taking the time to put Bree more at ease by singing to her. 

But oh that sad shot of LJG all alone.

bc7581bb57c9eaa377b9dc71eabd8eaba48fefac

Jamie and Claire trying not to wake Jem was cute and adding some levity to the episode.

15cefaa1a372dbcfdff62ff1e3001e75749a587c

So Jocasta has a proposal from another...what's a gal to do?

Next morning, she tests Roger re the inheritance and he passed, so good, I guess?

Lord Tyron, who was decidedly not wanted on the guest list, wastes no time harping on Jamie to hunt down Murtagh so he can be hung and just eff off already, Lord T. But it's not a surprise that the devil wants his due for those thousands of acres that are now Fraser's Ridge.

But then we get to see Jamie dressed up in full Scots regalia and it's not lost on me that this is the first time he's able to legally wear his kilt. The kilt his countrymen were willing to lose their lives for. 

And my face was like Claire's:

e70b110aaabef1a7705b3af39aded03765518ca5

She showed incredible restraint not jumping him then and there.

ae4f7e2c1b60d7cd087ca96c9d58327f5c909eab

He lights the Celtic cross and reminds those gathered of what it symbolizes (a call to men to state their loyalty and later, as a signal fire to reaffirm the same) and it didn't cross my mind for a moment that this was problematic or tone deaf. IMO, it's a historical moment, set in a time and place where it didn’t hold the connotation it later would and again, it was a Celtic cross. 

He gets oaths from some of the men, Roger and Fergus!!!, among them and I loved that Roger had taken it upon himself to memorize the oath.

The next morning, Jamie and Claire are standing near another, larger Celtic cross up high on the ridge and it will serve as a beacon to his men and yes, a call to the arms for the Revolution that is already brewing.

And finally, we have the painful parting between Jamie and father figure Murtagh, a sad bookend to the episode.

Jamie tells him, "Be hard to find." 

26b2f4c1ebe141b44eba96393d1d8f54c91c7f84

9ec3875d0abce658cf200ef61b79932785e0b109

💔💔💔

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Make that 4 for Last Kingdom. It’s on Netflix. Season 4 debuts later this year.

ETA: Uhtred is no Jamie Fraser, but he helps to fill the void during Droughtlander, ye ken?

When he showed up at his wife’s with a girlfriend in tow my hubby remarked “ Well he is certainly no Jamie Fraser!” 

• LOL 2
On 2/16/2020 at 11:13 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

=The weird thing is that I normally love weddings (in real life as well as on tv/in movies) but I found myself wanting to fast forward through this one. =

That's funny, I tend to find real weddings not terribly interesting but I enjoyed that one a lot. Every moment of it was really beautiful and well done, and everyone there deserved an episode with no violence or grief.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:39 PM, Jadzia said:

I'm not sure exactly why Jamie was rallying the troops because I think I was checked out by then. 

Tyron was leaving a platoon of redcoats with him, with the understand he'd take them hunting for Murtagh in a few months along with all the Fraser's Ridge men who were fit and of age. Jamie wanted to impress on the Fraser's Ridge men to be loyal to him (and not to Tryon) so he can count on them to fight with him against the redcoats when the Revolutionary War eventually comes.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:42 AM, Cdh20 said:

In season 4 when Bree was pregnant Claire said she had no idea if babies could go through, ( or how the time travel gene works). Although she was a few months pregnant with Bree when she returned to 1948.

Claire told Bree that they knew you could go through pregnant because she did it, but they didn't know if you could take a babe in arms. She was telling Bree that if she was going to decide to go back, she had to do it before the child was born, without Roger.

I watched seasons 1-3 on Netflix, and was planning to continue the series whenever it dropped there - but now that I suddenly have lots of time on my hands, I decided to subscribe to Starz and bingewatch the more recent seasons. Finally made it to season 5!

The biggest shock of the episode, for me, was that Roger and Brianna waited a significant amount of time to get married after Roger came back to Fraser's Ridge. What happened to the huge race against time, where Brianna had to get married ASAP, because her child's life would be ruined if anyone knew he was a bastard?

I figured she and Roger would take official vows as soon as he got back, and then lie about the baby's age. As opposed to having the baby in full view at the wedding!

I guess that was plot point existed only to raise the tension, and now can be forgotten.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

I watched seasons 1-3 on Netflix, and was planning to continue the series whenever it dropped there - but now that I suddenly have lots of time on my hands, I decided to subscribe to Starz and bingewatch the more recent seasons. Finally made it to season 5!

The biggest shock of the episode, for me, was that Roger and Brianna waited a significant amount of time to get married after Roger came back to Fraser's Ridge. What happened to the huge race against time, where Brianna had to get married ASAP, because her child's life would be ruined if anyone knew he was a bastard?

I figured she and Roger would take official vows as soon as he got back, and then lie about the baby's age. As opposed to having the baby in full view at the wedding!

I guess that was plot point existed only to raise the tension, and now can be forgotten.

I think it was really Jocasta who cared about Brianna being married.  Jamie probably cared, also, but that might have been more about her having a husband to take care of her.  I do remember him telling Brianna not to worry and that he would find her a husband.

But it is curious!  Why did they wait so long?

(edited)

I was glad there was actually a quieter episode.  When was the last episode where no one got violently assaulted, killed or raped and there wasn't some sort of gory imagery?

I do find it funny that Jamie and Claire are supposed to be in their 50s but I'm glad they are pretending wearing glasses cause you to age 20 years.  I wouldn't mind it if Claire lost the white streaks in her hair.  With Jamie's hair, you can't even tell he's older.

I find it strange that Fraser's Ridge now has so many settlers, when a major plot point was Jamie couldn't attract any because of the corrupt tax collectors.  This is the type of historical story which could have been interesting, but they completely skipped it.  Is Jamie protecting his tenants against unfair taxes right now?  It makes me feel very disconnected from the regulators storyline and Murtaugh is starting to get on my nerves, which is a shame since I loved him in Season 1-2.

That reminds me of Season 2 and how Colum made Jamie guardianship over his son (instead of Dougal), which seemed like an interesting plot setup, and it was never mentioned again.

Jaime and John should learn to have discreet conversations further away where they can see anyone who might possibly be coming close to overhear.  

I like Brianna and Roger, but they seem to be quite inconsistent with how they write Roger as a character.  Is he the type of guy to tell an older lady to take her money and shove it?  He was always quite composed in the modern-day scenes when we first met him.  I'm still annoyed that they are not using his knowledge of history at all, though is that why he was able to recite the oath of fealty?   Same for Brianna... surely, she would know more about the regulators than Claire and can shed light on Murtaugh's movement.

Was Jamie's ceremony supposed to show the Governor's men that he is a force to be reckoned with, or something?  What happened to his earlier comment that he can't afford to lose his land and fight?  

So overall, a good season premiere, but still not keen on the potential of the season or this North Carolina setting.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

Okaaay, so after a holiday hiatus, our little merry band of watchers is back on S5. This is going to be a slog, I can tell already, ye ken?

In trite news, I think the new music theme is very uninspiring. It feels like a lot of folks have sort of given up on making this show what it was in S1, 2 and parts of 3. Then again, maybe the source books aren't that scintillating after those books either.

In no particular order:

* The scene with Murtagh and wee Jamie was sweet and made me long for the Scotland-based storylines so badly! But when Murtagh says "I'll be wi' ye always" you know that's bad foreshadowing!

*I find it difficult to believe they made that big house mantle, etc. all by themselves. What are these other settlers living in that they can afford to help Jamie and Claire build their Better Huts and Cabins woodland manse?

*Where do Claire and Brianna get all their pearl jewelry from? They don't seem to have a lot of money and yet that fabric in Brianna's dress looked expensive, and they both had on pearls, and Claire's large pearl drop. They didn't have fake pearls back then I don't think so....B's dress was lovely though, I'll give it that!

*I see the hair pieces are just as awful as past seasons! Claire's hair always looked nice and natural but now it looks silly. Ditto nearly everyone else's wigs. Why can't this show get it right with the hair?!

* So Ellen Fraser's Scotch pearl strand, which was one long strand, is now a double strand, clearly re strung. I hate continuity issues like this. Do they think we're not paying attention? Where would they get someone in the backwoods of NC to string pearls for godsake.

*The entire wedding felt extremely cheesy to me. I kept feeling cringy the entire time, not sure why. And nothing was mentioned about the bride having a child out of wedlock...that was weird, given the times, and the effort that Aunt Jocasta went to to get her married off before it was too late.

* Murtagh and Jocasta having sex wasn't doing a thing for me, it was sort of cringy too. Ditto J & C trying to get it on with a baby crying in the other room.

*And why would Jamie give his Fiery Cross speech in front of the red coats? That felt very ominous and weird, like he's putting them on notice that the people there answer to him and only him. It felt like a very stupid thing to do. Then again, this is JAMMF, and he's done a lot of verra stupid things in the past that have put him and those around him in danger so, why am I surprised?

*Murtagh's little stone circle, I was wondering if we were going somewhere interesting with that and then, nope!

*Jamie releasing Murtagh from his oath was bittersweet and very sad. But I kept wondering why Jamie wouldn't have asked Ian to take Murtagh to his Indian friends and have them move him far, far away from that area, like take him out West somewhere, or pass him along to other tribes until he gets as far west as he can.  And why didn't he tell Murtagh, 'I'm going to tell them we've heard of Regulators in that direction, so that's where we'll be headed. You go in the opposite direction as quickly as you can." I mean at least make an effort people!

My episode notes are so short now, because there is nothing that interesting to keep track of anymore. It saddens me greatly. So far S5 is no better than the shitshow that was S4.

• Love 5

This is my smiling face 😃 and so happy for Season 5.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:33 PM, gingerella said:

new music theme is very uninspiring

Ok.  Stop right there.  Stop. It. Right. There.  Season 5's theme is my favorite of all of the seasons.  The choir.  THE CHOIR.  It actually makes me weep.  I wept!

I find it difficult to believe they made that big house mantle, etc. all by themselves. What are these other settlers living in that they can afford to help Jamie and Claire build their Better Huts and Cabins woodland manse

I hate the set design of this house.  This is so unbelievable.  In a show where I do a lot of hand-waving, even this is too far for me.  And how much time has passed?  Wee Jem is still a babe and they've built this massive house in a matter of months?  Nope.  I canna do it.  

The entire wedding felt extremely cheesy to me. I kept feeling cringy the entire time

YES!  As I was watching, the word "Hokey" kept flashing in my brain like a neon sign.  I did appreciate the flashback to J&C's nuptials, because chemistry. And then compare that to Bri and Rog at the alter and the complete lack of chemistry.  The entire wedding itself felt very anachronistic, which I guess is ok, given that two people from the 1960s are getting married. 

Ditto J & C trying to get it on with a baby crying in the other room.

Speaking of cringe, hated the music montage.

And why would Jamie give his Fiery Cross speech in front of the red coats?

Some context, this whole episode is a poorly done mash-up of some poorly written events in Book 5.  Typically the show improves upon the poorly written elements, but not here.  The actual fiery cross moment here makes absolutely no sense given how they set it up because they didn't give you all of the other information you need to go with it.  Instead, you're left wondering why the f is he doing this?  

Things I Did Like Because I'm Not Always Grumpy:

- I love Marsali.  Please sign me up for more of her.  The drinking game riddles were so fun, and if Covid ever ends, I'm hosting the biggest bonfire riddling drinking game since Bri and Rog's wedding.  Everyone is invited.  "How about a little Shakespeare?!"

- Claire as a healer.  I enjoy watching her in action, and I appreciate the people lined up to see her.  

- Germaine is a cutie.  

• Love 5
17 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

This is my smiling face 😃 and so happy for Season 5.

On 1/22/2022 at 6:33 PM, gingerella said:

new music theme is very uninspiring

Ok.  Stop right there.  Stop. It. Right. There.  Season 5's theme is my favorite of all of the seasons.  The choir.  THE CHOIR.  It actually makes me weep.  I wept!

I know, I've missed these watch posts and our small but merry band of rewatchers! Happy New year to you guys!

Okay okay okay...I'll re-evaluate the music on the next episode!

On 1/22/2022 at 6:33 PM, gingerella said:

Okaaay, so after a holiday hiatus, our little merry band of watchers is back on S5. This is going to be a slog, I can tell already, ye ken?

Yay, I'm glad you are continuing again!

*And why would Jamie give his Fiery Cross speech in front of the red coats? That felt very ominous and weird, like he's putting them on notice that the people there answer to him and only him. It felt like a very stupid thing to do. Then again, this is JAMMF, and he's done a lot of verra stupid things in the past that have put him and those around him in danger so, why am I surprised?

I still think taking Tryon up on his offer in the first place was not very smart.

*Jamie releasing Murtagh from his oath was bittersweet and very sad. But I kept wondering why Jamie wouldn't have asked Ian to take Murtagh to his Indian friends and have them move him far, far away from that area, like take him out West somewhere, or pass him along to other tribes until he gets as far west as he can. 

I think Murtagh would have refused to leave.  He implied it was the right thing to stay and fight for this cause, here and now, regardless of what Jaime said of the future.  

I agree the fiery cross speeches made no sense.  It's like they needed to remind us this show is about Scottish people.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Camera One said:

I think Murtagh would have refused to leave.  He implied it was the right thing to stay and fight for this cause, here and now, regardless of what Jaime said of the future.  

Yes, from Murtagh’s words, I got that he needed something(a cause) in his life. He said Jamie had everything he’s ever wished for, but Murtagh has no wife, kids, home of his own, so he’s found a place with this cause! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 4/8/2021 at 9:51 PM, Camera One said:

Was Jamie's ceremony supposed to show the Governor's men that he is a force to be reckoned with, or something?  What happened to his earlier comment that he can't afford to lose his land and fight?  

I was sure I heard some reason given in a conversation between Jamie and Claire this episode. So off I went to re-watch with closed captioning on! Following is the scene I was remembering. It came right after Jamie was introduced to Lieutenant Knox who would be staying to ensure that assist Jamie in hunting Murtagh. Governor Tyron left for a more urban environment right after that. Jamie goes in the house to let Claire know what Tryon expected from him.

Claire: What's the matter?

Jamie: Tryon is leaving a troop to aid me in the hunt. We leave in a week. [sighs]

Claire: And if you refuse to hunt Murtagh, then Tryon takes back our land?

Jamie: He'll brand me a traitor. I signed an oath to the crown.

Claire: Please. Tryon would renege on his oath to you the moment it suited him, - or if he could profit from it.

Jamie:  Aye. When this war you tell me about eventually comes, well, then, I'll reconsider my vow, but I dinna have the luxury of that now. Because of our family, our tenants. If there is a war, I need to ensure the men of the Ridge are loyal to me, not to Tryon.

Claire: The men of the Ridge would do anything for you.

They talk about Roger's lack of fighting skills briefly and then Jamie leaves the room claiming "If Tryon wants a Scot... I'll gee him a Scot."

I thought he was referring to Murtagh but he went directly to his warrior chest and put on his Clan gear.  Soon after came the scene where Jamie— looking every inch a Scot Laird— creates The Fiery Cross of the episode title. He then reminds his friends and tenants of the old country traditions and that he is not their Laird, but to protect them he needs their oath that they will trust and follow him. 

This was how he could ensure the men of the Ridge were loyal to him and not Tryon.  He knew there would not be a better time  because they were all there , because Tryon had already threatened they would go to war against the Regulators and because Jamie would be off in 1 week Regulator hunting.  So, no time like the present.

In one act—that would appear to the British soldiers ,who witnessed it, as nothing more than Scottish pageantry—he secured his men's loyalty and told them what the call-to-arms signal would be—a second Fiery Cross. 

I'd call that very efficient script writing and a lovely call back to S01, when Jamie was faced with a different oath swearing dilemma. Great job!

On 4/27/2020 at 2:43 PM, Blakeston said:

I hadn't noticed that as strange but started to wonder about it when a few people remarked on it. (above quote is for example only). But after a bit of thought, the whole Brianna HAS to be married before the baby is born was because:

1 - She "appeared" to be unwed. By that point, Claire & Jamie knew that Brianna and Roger were "Hand Fast" which was as good as wed back then. The problem was that there were no witnesses to that—except Roger—who was MIA and possibly dead.

2 - Once Roger was rescued, he could attest to their Hand Fast ceremony. BUT he still hadn't decided to stay and accept the child as his. Once he did that, the wedding could be timed to meet whatever conditions they set for themselves. No hurry. It would just be the more social and religious version of a legal contract they had previously entered into.  

Olden days equivalent of Registry Marriage now // Church Wedding "for the parents". 

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Anothermi said:

Jamie:   If there is a war, I need to ensure the men of the Ridge are loyal to me, not to Tryon.

Thanks for going back to rewatch and transcribe!  I think I just wasn't convinced there was any danger of the men being loyal to Tryon over him. 

In one act—that would appear to the British soldiers ,who witnessed it, as nothing more than Scottish pageantry

I like this idea, and it would make Jaime's action seem smarter when interpreted in this way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

OMG… the music playing when Jamie came out dressed as  a Scot again, and again during the credits.  Absolutely stirring and beautiful.  The new theme … not so much. 

I had no problem with the Celtic cross.  It was accurate for the time period.   It was also not done meaning to terrorize anyone… except maybe the British platoon?  Of course, I haven’t ever seen any kind of a cross burning except on TV, so my opinion doesn’t matter, and I certainly won’t  be asking people that have ( or whose families have)  to be okay with it.      I did note that the season 4 Scottish festival in 1970  used  a stag instead of a cross.   I now understand why.  

Edited by mythoughtis