Type keyword(s) to search

Fast & Furious 9 (2021)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So the filmmakers' way of giving "justice".for Han is bringing him back to life so people will stop bitching about Shaw being a member of the team/having his own spin-off?

This...they brought him back out of nowhere because there was no logic to Shaw being around or being brought into the team, it was horrible they even would have him around. 

So to stop that they're now going to say "hey, he was never dead!" 

Ah, so now we can look past the whole "Shaw killed Han" thing!  Can't wait to see how this gets explained.  And then maybe for the next one; or really, grand finale; Universal will dump millions of dollars on Gal Gadot's lawn and suddenly Giselle makes a grand return!

Of course, I'm not going to lie and pretend I won't be seeing this and all of its silly glory.  Bring on more cars, explosions, Vin Diesel droning on about family, Tyrese mugging (and knowing that in between takes, he was probably writing "Dwayne Johnson Sucks!" in his journal,) Oscar winners like Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren scoring big paychecks for likely easy work, and, this go around, Evil John Cena!!!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Is it me or did that trailer give everything away? Oh well, nobody goes to a F&F for plotting...or dialogue...or character development...or real world physics.

The Hobbs and Shaw trailers were the same.  They gave away almost everything. I prefer trailers that don't show so much but I guess it works for selling these types of movies. 

I thought that was Han.  I wonder if he's alive again or if that's a flashback?  I only caught it quick do we see him with anyone else or just that one clip in the car by himself?

Mia appears to be back as well, i wonder how they're going to work that out?  Hopefully they don't kill Brian off, that would wreck me.

I honestly never got the OMG He Killed HAN, you bastard!  Thing.  Han was one of the more likeable characters but, i have no more love for him than Roman, Tej or any of the other characters (seriously, i still refer to Nathalie Emmanuelle's character as Missandei).  the only characters i really care about are Dom, Letty, Brian, and Mia.  

Conversely, i love Hobbs, Shaw, Mamma Shaw and Asshole Shaw (Owen) they're highly entertaining and charismatic characters (Sister Shaw, not so much, forced romance was dumb).

So yeah, don't care if Han is dead or alive, don't care if Shaw killed him or didn't.  They're all criminals, except for Hobbs, they've all done bad things and several have killed.  Plus the Shaw brothers saved Baby Toretto, that wipes out any debt owed for Han (IMO).

Sadly, as much as i loved Hobbs and Shaw, that movie wasn't particularly good, even for a F&F movie.  Hopefully this movie is better, they're actually usually pretty good (1, 4, 5, 6 & 8 )  were all good.  I give 7 a pass since they had to do some major shifting around because of Paul Walker's death.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I am not sure what it is about this franchise but I really like it.   It had its flaws but it’s an action movies franchise that had the sudden death of one of its real life leads so who know what it actually intended to do with Paul Walker.  They can say whatever they want now but who truly knows?   I still think this is a fun franchise and I have seen all of Them exceed Shaw and Hobbs not sure why.   Maybe because they are my least favorite characters in the entire franchise.  I know this should be waaaaay to testosterone heavy for my taste.  And I do wish the females were given more to do but honestly I love me some flying cars.   

I haven’t been to the theater in years an I am not sure if this is the movie that will have me shelling out $20 to watch it when it is likely to apear on cable eventually.

Conversely, i love Hobbs, Shaw, Mamma Shaw and Asshole Shaw (Owen) they're highly entertaining and charismatic characters (Sister Shaw, not so much, forced romance was dumb).

I thought the romance was forced but I did really like Vanessa Kirby. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

I thought the romance was forced but I did really like Vanessa Kirby. 

Same. I did find the idea the Kirby and Statham being similar age siblings far fetched. Even if you add years to the former and minus some for the latter, they are in reality 20 years apart in age. 

I stopped watching the F&F movies awhile back, but I liked this one off since I liked most of the actors. It was fun. I had it on during holiday baking. 

On 6/23/2021 at 12:53 AM, nilyank said:

I am waiting for them to acquire a rocketship and go into space one of these days.

I am quoting myself because I cannot believe that they built a spaceship out of a car and had Roman and Tej in outerspace.

• LOL 8
7 hours ago, nilyank said:

I am quoting myself because I cannot believe that they built a spaceship out of a car and had Roman and Tej in outerspace.

I wonder if they would have given it away in promos without the COVID response suspension of the marketing?

11 hours ago, nilyank said:

I would think you're joking but, apparently this movie broke Jeremy Jahns. He just couldn't believe the level of crazy

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I would think you're joking but, apparently this movie broke Jeremy Jahns. He just couldn't believe the level of crazy

That is the general opinion of all the reviewers that I follow. And most of them are big fans of the comics genre 

I liked it, it was stupid fun with the "family". I wasn't sure about adding a brother but it works since most of the originals are dead, except for Letty and Mia. I also liked seeing the younger originals wearing the same outfits so we'd know who they were. 

I don't watch these movies to see some great movie. I watch to see how far they go. Now I'm really wondering how they plan to go out for the last movie. How can they top going to space in a Fiero? Go to another universe? 

• Love 3

I…really enjoyed myself, lol. 
Look the FF franchise isn’t here to reinvent the wheel or being the next great American cinema and I love that they know exactly who they are and what they want to do. 
This franchise started with stealing blu ray DVD players and now they are in outer space, I mean what?!?!? And it works for me! 
I’ll always be in awe of a major block buster franchise that isn’t marvel, Star Wars, superhero or based off books. They just kept going at it and upping the ante every time and we are all in for the ride. 
I wasn’t bored for one second and that’s not something I can say for a lot of movies, including some of the marvel ones.

One of the things I do appreciate and think they do well is honor the emotional beats of their story. If your going to have a long lost brother, Mia has to be involved. She has to! And she can’t be a bystander. I know the conflict is between Dom and Jacob but she’s their sister and they both love her and I like how there acknowledged when Jacob sees Mia for the first time. It’s short but he walks in all cocky and then that drops when he sees her cause he wasn’t expecting it. 
When everyone sees Han for the first time, when Tej practically launched himself at him near tears, that’s so true to the moment and I love Han and Sean’s reunion. Even if most never watched that movie, it’s true to those characters and it means a lot. Those little things they get right everytime. 

But more than anything I love how they are keeping Brian involved without him being involved. It would have been easy to kill him off when Paul Walker died and maybe they should have but they wanted to honor him and Brian and this is prob the best I’ve seen anyone handle something like this. 

I can’t believe it’s been 20 years, and I’m still down for more. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

I…really enjoyed myself, lol. 
Look the FF franchise isn’t here to reinvent the wheel or being the next great American cinema and I love that they know exactly who they are and what they want to do. 
This franchise started with stealing blu ray DVD players and now they are in outer space, I mean what?!?!? And it works for me! 

Go back a bit further, it was pre Blu-rays, hitting the market in 2003. They were VCR tape DVD combos

• Love 5

I spent the last hour of the movie annoyed when it looked like they were keeping the Tokyo Drift crew siloed in the comic relief corner with Roman and Tej and would not learn about Han, so I was glad they were invited to the family BBQ and got to see Han... and then got mildly annoyed again when Sean said, "when they told me [offscreen] that you were alive..." Sigh. But at least we got to see Shaw's oh shit reaction during the credits.

While young Dom and young Jacob probably won't be earning any acting awards anytime soon, they still could act circles around Vin Diesel and John Cena, heh.

As ridiculous as rocket car was, the most eye-rolling moment for me was Vin Diesel making sure to get his "Top THIS, Dwayne Johnson!" moment with holding off a dozen armed men while pulling apart a tunnel with his bare hands.

• Love 1

This movie is utterly stupid. People back from the dead, long lost brothers, magical magnets, space cars, and Dominic Torretto as a low rent super hero.  I had a blast. 

• LOL 4
On 6/30/2021 at 12:23 AM, Iguana said:

This movie is utterly stupid. People back from the dead, long lost brothers, magical magnets, space cars, and Dominic Torretto as a low rent super hero.  I had a blast. 

This is exactly right. The only move I'm not sure about is Roman's meta-commentary about how they all should've died several times. It's a little too clever for this series.

• Love 3

Whelp, that was certainly a Fast & the Furious movie!

Don't get me wrong: I was entertained for most of it and certainly had a good time at the theaters.  But I definitely feel like we're officially at the point where the franchise is going to lose its luster with me.  I personally thought it was at its best with the fifth and sixth films (and maybe the seventh), but it was already showing signs of wear in the eight film (mainly held together by Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham bantering their way into their own spin-off), and I feel like this one is continuing it.  It is somehow campy, ridiculous, and outlandish, but also self-serious, self-important, and honestly leaves an impression that it believes its dramatic beats are anything more than just silly sap.  Everything from the flashbacks to Dom's underwater visions was over-the-top and laughable because it felt like Vin Diesel, Justin Lin, and everyone involved thought they were doing Shakespeare instead of a dumb action blockbuster.  Which, to be fair, kind of works in a way to make me laugh, but I'm not sure that was intentional...

Kind of love that they didn't even really try to have a logical reasons for Han suddenly being alive and simply dismissed it as some kind of "illusion" that Mr. Nobody pulled off, because Han was apparently working for him after Giselle's death.  I guess it's cool that he is back, but they didn't really do much with him, and it felt like he was used more to just introduce this Elle character, who I'm guessing will be sticking around.  I am glad that they at last had a scene of Han reuniting with the Tokyo Drift crew.

At least it sounds like the writers did take Michelle Rodriquez's request for giving the women characters more to do seriously, since this was probably the most Letty has factored in lately.  Still felt like Mia was kind of an afterthought, and barely factored into the whole Dom/Jakob feud, despite being "family."  And it already feels like they don't quite know what to do with Ramsey, which sucks since I want Nathalie Emmanuel to be a bigger star.

Best parts were easily Roman and Tej practically breaking the 4th wall and pointing out the ridiculous tropes and scenarios they keep getting into.  It was like someone was recording Tyrese and Ludacris' reactions during the first script read and decided to add them in.

I wonder who got the biggest paycheck for the shortest, easiest work: Helen Mirren, Charlize Theron, or Kurt Russell?

They finally went to space!  And since it seems like any one of the drivers could have been in Roman's spot, I have to imagine that decision just came from everyone really wanting to fuck around with him and make him do something he clearly wasn't going to be happy with!  They truly are a family!

Speaking of which, I have noticed lately on the "nets" that the whole family aspect has become a big meme now, where they keep inserting Dom into various other films and shows (Marvel, Star Wars, etc.), and have him use the family line against the various villains or scenarios.  I know it has been mentioned plenty of times, but the jokes about it really seem to be getting amplified now.

Won't deny that I'll be watching the tenth film just to see what crazy stuff they do next.  I still feel like Giselle suddenly being alive is a solid bet, since I can see Universal drooling over getting a now Wonder Woman famed Gal Gadot back into the fold.  I also saw a suggestion about them somehow bringing Dom (and Mia)'s mom into the fold, which certainly seems like something they would do.  My hope?  For them to squash the beef with Dwayne Johnson and bring him back, keep John Cena, and then bring in Dave Bautista, so we can have the three biggest "former pro wrestlers turned actors) in the same film together finally!

• Love 2

This movie was ridiculous and I enjoyed it. When I first saw the trailer I rolled my eyes at the introduction of the never before mentioned brother Jacob. Seriously, throughout all these movies Dom and Mia never said they had a brother but I just went with it. Same with Han coming back. Was that a Han hologram in the car that fooled Deckard? How did Han even get out of the car without anyone seeing? Just go with it.

Cardi B was only in this for a minute but it was a minute too long.

I laughed hysterically at Tej and Roman going to space. I enjoy the banter between those two.

I know Mia wasn't supposed to be in this one but I'm glad she was, mainly because Jacob was her brother too. With Paul no longer with us, I'm fine with Mia being involved with missions and Brian being the offscreen babysitter. I also liked Brian's car showing up in the end.

• Love 1

I loved them waiting for Brian at the end and showing his blue car on the way and pulling up. Great way to honor Paul. I don't know if Brian would really be ok staying home as the babysitter, but not much they can do there.

Outer space was so silly, but I laugh at all of Tej and Romans interaction.

Romans George Foreman grill line had me laughing so much.

Ok secret brother with how much Dom loves family it was never brought up in the 8 previous movies? I guess Jon Cena was replacement Rock? 

Jacob had different mother? Or perhaps he takes after mom and the other 2 take after dad? 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I loved them waiting for Brian at the end and showing his blue car on the way and pulling up. Great way to honor Paul. I don't know if Brian would really be ok staying home as the babysitter, but not much they can do there.

Outer space was so silly, but I laugh at all of Tej and Romans interaction.

Romans George Foreman grill line had me laughing so much.

Ok secret brother with how much Dom loves family it was never brought up in the 8 previous movies? I guess Jon Cena was replacement Rock? 

Jacob had different mother? Or perhaps he takes after mom and the other 2 take after dad? 

Remember Cypher went after Dom's son in her previous appearance. The children needed more protection than just a babysitter in the Fast universe.

I too expect Cena in the next Fast and Furious. Will there be another Hobbs and Shaw for the Rock?

I haven't missed an opening weekend, ever, until this one and managed to stay pretty spoiler free.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:01 AM, moonorchid said:

I’ll always be in awe of a major block buster franchise that isn’t marvel, Star Wars, superhero or based off books. They just kept going at it and upping the ante every time and we are all in for the ride. 
I wasn’t bored for one second and that’s not something I can say for a lot of movies, including some of the marvel ones.

I only quoted a small section but @moonorchid's post sums up my feelings on Fast 9 and the entire franchise. I recently watched Tokyo Drift and the only thing in this entire movie that I had a hard time with is that actors age and where Tokyo Drift should be in the story vs how old the actors are IRL gets to me. But I'm down with cars flying through buildings, cars in outer space so I can obviously get over the aging. 

On 7/6/2021 at 3:06 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I still feel like Giselle suddenly being alive is a solid bet, since I can see Universal drooling over getting a now Wonder Woman famed Gal Gadot back into the fold

Oh, please do this! 

I just loved everything about this movie. It respects the fans that have been there from the start, it does not care if you are new and don't understand the saga. Figure it out on your own time but here, in the mean time watch this crazy movie. 

I read an article with Justin Lin, he said the only reason Han is alive is because of The Save Han movement AND the scene of Deckard Shaw at the Toretto BBQ. 

He didn't know what they were thinking (wasn't his movie) but, felt having the guy that killed Han as part of the "family" was a major insult. He said that if that scene never happened, Han would still be dead.

Side note, love how autocorrect changed "Han" to Hand, Hang and Hannah at various times in this post 🙄

• LOL 1

Unconfirmed...

[OMITTED NAME] Returning for Fast and Furious 10 (Exclusive)
By Savannah Sanders    December 22, 2022
The Direct article link

Spoiler

Gal Gadot is set to return to the Fast & Furious franchise in 2023's Fast X, according to The Direct's sources.
While Gadot has starred in Wonder Woman, Red Notice, and Death on the Nile over the last few years, her role as Gisele Yashar in 2009's Fast & Furious is what launched her career.

In 2011's Fast Five, her character develops a romantic relationship with Han Lue, played by Sung Kang. But then, in 2013's Fast & Furious 6, her character was killed in an attempt to save Han. 
Han, who played Gadot's character's love interest and was also killed off, recently returned in Fast 9.

The 2021 film revealed that Kurt Russell's Mr. Nobody, who once worked with Gisele, helped Han fake his death in exchange for coming to work for him. 

Fast X is expected to arrive in theaters on May 19, 2023.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
On 12/23/2022 at 9:56 AM, tv echo said:

Unconfirmed...

[OMITTED NAME] Returning for Fast and Furious 10 (Exclusive)
By Savannah Sanders    December 22, 2022
The Direct article link

I've been hearing rumblings of that. As a OG franchise fan I'm 110% ok with this. I love this ridiculous out of timeline order release, flying cars out of buildings, going to space franchise and I am here for whatever they want to do for X.

• Applause 2