Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Chapter Sixty-Seven: Varsity Blues

Bort
  • Start Topic

As Riverdale High prepares for the championship football game against Stonewall Prep, Betty gets to work on a story about the rivalry between the schools. Archie is conflicted when Mary tells him about Uncle Frank’s troubled past. Cheryl goes head to head with Ms. Appleyard, the school’s new cheerleading coach, and Veronica hits a road block with her latest Luna Rum recipe. Finally, Jughead is forced to pick a side after the perks of attending Stonewall Prep begin to interfere with his personal life.

Airdate: Wednesday, January 22, 2020

I don't know why, but out of all of the pure insane things that have happened (and are still happening) on this show, Veronica producing and selling her own rum continues to be the one that just flabbergasts me, due to how everyone in Riverdale is acting like this is normal.  Because, which high schooler; who isn't even the legal age to drink; hasn't had a legit alcohol business as their after school job?!

That said, I am so down to watch Veronica and Cheryl team up to sell this rum/maple syrup concoction.  No one is going to be safe from their scheming, smirks, and snark!

Of course, Stonewall has an evil football team that come straight out of every teen drama ever made, and naturally led by Bret.  Was surprised that the show actually let them still win over Riverdale, but since the score was only 7-6, I'm not sure anyone came out ahead (especially the fans.  That had to have been a boring-ass game to watch.)

Unsurprisingly, Frank/Fred's brother has a rocky past, and while Archie is doing what he does best and trying to help him out, you just know this is going to backfire somehow.  Poor kid.

Jughead might be part of a secret cult now, but at least it's a secret cult that can help get him to Yale!

Betty is now planning on challenging Bret in a debate tournament.  Still think bringing him down is going to play a part in whatever the hell is going on in the flash-forwards.

Reggie and Toni did their normal secondary character stuff and I'm pretty sure Kevin didn't even have any lines.  Smooth week for Casey Cott!

• Love 6

I was wondering if they were making fun of the TV show "Dare Me" where a cheerleading coach wrestles control of the squad from a charismatic high school "Queen Bee". Cheryl proves the show won't last to the first commercial break, let alone an entire season.

• Love 3

Well, at least it seems like Veronica will be sharing more scenes with basically anyone but her "Daddy", and at least Cheryl gets a new acting partner for a bit, with this maple rum business....so that's a plus to the Veronica storyline. I was NOT missing Hiram at all and groaned when he showed up halfway through the episode. 

I just want Veronica to interact with her friends more. And no, one or two scenes per episode doesn't really count. I did appreciate the Veronica/Betty team-up, mostly because it led to a hilarious moment with Jughead showing up and exposing his secret cult secret. 

Of course Frank's a little shady. I'm glad that Archie finally gets his own shady family member. He's too trusting, so this will hopefully go wrong for him. Trust your mother's instincts, Archie! She's the only smart family member you got left! But really, Frank living with Archie and Mary shouldn't turn out well. For all Archie knows, this was Frank's plan in order to steal all of Fred's money from them and then take off. And, since this is Riverdale, for all we know, this could end with Frank trying to kill Archie and Mary. Who knows!

Also, love that Archie got grounded. He seems to be the only one actually getting appropriately punished on this show by his parents. I'm pretty sure even Fred grounded Archie once or twice in the series.

Evil football team. Alrighty, then. Poor Monroe, but it seems like things turned out alright.

Evil cheerleading coach! Who...right now, isn't all that bad. A bit annoying, but not an issue yet. I mean, if I had a choice between this and dead corpse Jason, I'll take evil cheerleading coach. 

I had to laugh at Betty and Honey teaming up with creating a new team to beat Stonewall. 

6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Reggie and Toni did their normal secondary character stuff and I'm pretty sure Kevin didn't even have any lines.  Smooth week for Casey Cott!

You know what's sad? I didn't notice that he WAS in the episode. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 9

i do not trust Riverdale’s  new principal (is his name Honey?) at all but I found his scene with Betty where she came up with the idea to become captain of their schools quiz team fascinating.   On any other show I might just see it as a teenager finally figuring out how to scheme in an adult world and get what you want from someone with their own agenda....but then there is the Jughead Murder mystery so there must be more going on. 

8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I was wondering if they were making fun of the TV show "Dare Me" where a cheerleading coach wrestles control of the squad from a charismatic high school "Queen Bee". Cheryl proves the show won't last to the first commercial break, let alone an entire season.

I was thinking that too.  “Dare Me” had such potential but it is such a boring and trite show with such uninteresting characters while Riverdale has....HBIC Cheryl Blossom who will get what she wants regardless of what it costs her.  

I find the idea fascinating of Jughead being accepted into Yale and Betty not in large part because of Stonewall.   I can see it being part of what drives the two of them apart and why Jughead “death” looks hella suspicious for Betty who no matter how hard she tries is just short of getting what she wants because of the rich prestigious school which is now benefiting Jughead.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Oh, man. The plot line where Jughead got into Yale makes me so stressed. Partly because I think it's darkly realistic -- some young white dude lets rich people pull strings for him and goes, "This is my just reward for being talented." I know he gets fake!murdered at the end, so it's not all roses, but, still... ugh.

Also, I laughed so hard at the initiation scene. All of those stories were such a WTF thing to share with classmates you barely know and don't like, but Jughead's came out of nowhere and seems like something we should have known about if it were true. Was everyone in that circle lying? Is this a party where privileged people pass a skull around and make up stories about traumatic things that didn't happen to them? Am I reading too much into it? It was so weird.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, at least it seems like Veronica will be sharing more scenes with basically anyone but her "Daddy", and at least Cheryl gets a new acting partner for a bit, with this maple rum business....so that's a plus to the Veronica storyline. I was NOT missing Hiram at all and groaned when he showed up halfway through the episode.

Evil cheerleading coach! Who...right now, isn't all that bad. A bit annoying, but not an issue yet. I mean, if I had a choice between this and dead corpse Jason, I'll take evil cheerleading coach. 

I like the idea of having Veronica go into business with Cheryl, because bringing those two plot lines together gives them more reason to interact. At the same time, this episode is when I realized that the show sort of started out as a YA story about relatable teens trying to solve a mystery, and it's become a different YA genre about the fantasy of being ultra-rich. Which is how we have 17-year-old multi-millionaire business moguls merging their empires together. I guess this is the same complaint I always have, but I wish the show would pick a lane and lean into it instead of swerving all over the place.

I thought the cheerleading coach was rude, and it made me wish that there were adults on this show who actually seemed to have social skills -- but I also think it makes sense that a school activity would have a staff member to supervise it and that a sport would have a coach. And I laughed when she said they should learn cheers instead of performing pop songs.

41 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

i do not trust Riverdale’s  new principal (is his name Honey?) -t all but I found his scene with Betty where she cans up with the idea to become captain of their schools quiz teen fascinating.   On any other show I might just see it as a teenager finally figuring out how to scheme in an adult world and get what you want from someone with their own agenda....but then their is this Jughead Murder mystery so there must be more going on. 

He was extra creepy to me in this scene, but, if only he hadn't been, it would have been a nice moment where Betty showed maturity and figured out how to get him on her side by cooperating with him. I assume something messed-up will happen.

• Love 6

I don't know why, but out of all of the pure insane things that have happened (and are still happening) on this show, Veronica producing and selling her own rum continues to be the one that just flabbergasts me, due to how everyone in Riverdale is acting like this is normal.  Because, which high schooler; who isn't even the legal age to drink; hasn't had a legit alcohol business as their after school job?!

My 13 year old neighbour comes over to watch Riverdale as she doesn't get the CW at home (in Canada, you need to get that channel as a add on.)  Outside of her wanting something to Varchie to happen again, THIS is driving her mad.  I don't blame her.  Not that I am expecting realism in this show any more but having buyers wanting this stuff?  Hiram is better off informing someone that can shut this down legally or at least push her out of the day to day.

• Love 2

It's not just having one high school kid (or now maybe two kids) making rum--they were sipping it and critiquing it.  I love the bizarreness of Riverdale, but sometimes it's just too weird.  However, I also wouldn't mind if someone created a TV series in which the adult characters were basically re-creating high school behavior, the flip side of this.  Has there ever been one?

• Love 3

Veronica producing and selling her own rum continues to be the one that just flabbergasts me, due to how everyone in Riverdale is acting like this is normal.  

THANK YOU. This is beyond ridiculous, especially the scene where two underage girls are openly doing shots at Pop's counter! At least when she and Reggie were underage drinking it was in her (also totally illegal) speakeasy. Since when do a bunch of teenagers know enough about producing hard liquor in sufficient quantities for sale to restaurants? 

I did appreciate the contrast of the Stonewall Prep also underage kids drinking Champagne in the headmaster's office, at his instigation, when Jughead gets his Yale bribe, though. That would be considered completely normal for "their type of people." 

I don't buy that whole "we all share our actionable secrets" crap at the Quill meeting, either.  Betty would have called that out as a setup in two seconds. 

(Anybody notice that the only two people to actually "confess" were the white girl and boy? The Black kid at least got a line or two at the party but I don't think the Asian girl was even onscreen until the Champagne scene.)

Things really didn't play out the way I thought they would at the game. Archie, in his stopped clock fashion, was absolutely correct in both pointing out that opioids (I assume that's what Shady Frank was offering) would probably mean Monroe would damage his knee beyond repair, and that the Stonewall Prep assholes would immediately target him on the field! Of course they would! I do wonder why they went so proactive in their evil, though--why take that kind of risk when they're clearly able to permanently maim during the game itself? Plus, Stonewall wins again, which I really didn't see coming, but I guess they're setting things up for Quiz Battle of the Titans or whatever.

Mary being the only parent in town still, I see. Her grounding Archie was a breath of fresh air. And pushing back against the Saint Fred mythos that Archie's been building up is a good thing, too. Fred was a good man but he made some bad choices. Mary didn't leave him for no reason.

Lastly, isn't Betty a Vixen? Shouldn't she have been cheering?

• Love 5

I liked the high school feel again, complete with cheerleaders, football, reporters. At the end of the day, they are still in high school even if we don’t see this aspect too much. This had a season one feel which is a good thing. 

Bret is clearly a sociopath. There is no way he is anything but completely involved in whatever happens to Jughead. My guess is there is a set up going on and the motivation is to take down Bret. He was responsible for Munroe’s knee. I have no idea why the police didn’t get involved and bring him and the others down for what they did to Munroe. Bret is making a big mistake going to war with Betty Cooper because in the end, she will destroy him. He won’t see it coming. That flash forward is so misleading. Everyone knows Betty did not kill Jughead. Bret is going down. 

That Secret Society Quill and Skull stuff is bogus. I don’t think any of them were telling the truth about those stories. It all came across as computerized, robotic, and manipulative. The only one who could be telling the truth is Jughead. I’m not totally sure but if it is true it does suck that Betty or Archie did not know about it. I find it hard to believe that they have no the idea. I wish he would have told Betty about the Secret Society. Their disagreement/mild fight was good though because they worked it out. But they shouldn’t be holding secrets from each other. One of the reasons why I ship this pairing is because of what Jughead said when DuPont asked him to get Betty not to write the story. Jughead was clear he’d never stop Betty from writing or anything else for that matter. What a healthy relationship. I also love that he refused to sit with him and the others at the football game. He sat with Betty and supported Riverdale instead. Jughead will always pick Betty. 

Mr. Honey is still crooked in some way but I loved him being on board with Betty’s idea of the school taking down Stonewall Prep. 

Ms. Appleyard is annoying and I loved Cheryl’s revenge. Madelaine Petsch looked absolutely gorgeous in this episode. She was glowing. 

I love the Veronica and Cheryl team up. I actually think they can succeed even if it’s unrealistic. It also gets Veronica around people her own age and Cheryl focused on something positive instead of her creepy mansion. 

I frowned when we saw Hiram a little over halfway into the episode. I was hoping we would be free of him for at least one episode. Unfortunately, you can’t always get what you desire. This father/daughter dynamic is so twisted. While I liked seeing Reggie/Veronica friends again (without tension) Veronica is just asking for it by messing with Hiram’s car. 

OK, Archie is just being dumb again. Why on earth is he so trusting of Frank? He is not listening to a single word his very own wise mother is telling him. There is really no mystery when it comes to Frank based on Mary’s interpretation of him. He’s bad news and he must be around for some sort of payday. Any adult who gives strong, addictive pain medicine illegally to a minor is trash. Even if it temporarily worked out, it was illegal and irresponsible. I’m really hoping in the future we will not see an addiction storyline for Munroe. But as a whole, Mary Andrews knows what she’s talking about and she cannot stand Frank. There is a reason for it and Archie needs to finally grow a brain and listen to his mother. On a psychological level, it does make sense he wants a male parental figure, especially one who is blood and shares memories of Fred. But Frank is bad news. It is so clear where the storyline is headed and once again, Archie is being ridiculously stupid. Listen to your mother! Mary moved back from Chicago to be there for Archie. This is how he repays her? Trusting his idiot uncle who obviously is up to no good. Lame. I love that Mary grounded him. He deserved it. Now he needs to grow a brain for once and listen to her about his uncle. I will bet he’s trying to get their money. 

I loved Betty/Veronica teaming up again even if it didn’t end smoothly.

Edited by Auror
  • Love 2

It was kind of wild to see the kids on this show actually do normal high school stuff, like play football and work on cheer leading ans reporting, even if, because its Riverdale, its got crazy stuff going on like people from the evil rival school beating up players in rabbit masks (because someone just saw Donnie Darko?) and power plays between faculty and students. 

Considering how vague the location of Riverdale is, its weird to hear them mention an actual school and state, in some way. I loved Reggie, Archie, and Monroe all bro-ing out over football and how happy they were were for Monroe to go to Notre Dame. Poor Monroe, at least it seemed to work out. Of course, that just makes me concerned about him and his future, especially with the evil prep schoolers lurking around. 

Did Betty quit the Vixens? Did she skip too many practices to join Junior FBI school?

You know, I can take a LOT of ridiculousness from this show, but for some reason, Veronica running her own rum business, now with Cheryl, just seems like so much to take. They're in high school! They cant even legally drink rum, let alone make it and sell it to people! For whatever reason, this is really hurting my suspension of disbelief, as crazy as that sounds at this point. 

Cheryl is always going to be the HBIC, it takes a lot more than a sassy coach to stop her. It was nice when she shared her snow cone with Veronica, which from her is a pretty big deal. 

Of course Jughead immediately joins an obviously creepy secret society the second they tell him that he is super special and awesome and talented. I guess all you need is an In from the Skull and Crossbones society to get into Yale, because otherwise it is really pushing belief that he could into a school like that. I mean, even Brett has extracurriculars! Evil extracurriculars, but stuff to be on his resume none the less!

Well everyone else has sketchy relatives, so I guess its Archie's turn. It was nice to see him playing football and doing basically normal, non vigilante stuff, and I continue to find his scenes with Mary are some of the strongest scenes this show has now. Despite everything, Archie is still just too trusting and too excited to have this new connection with his dad through his uncle, I dont see this ending well.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

Of course Jughead immediately joins an obviously creepy secret society the second they tell him that he is super special and awesome and talented

And is given a new laptop that is clearly stuffed full of spyware, Jughead, you moron! You need to follow your late teacher's example and hurl it out a window posthaste!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5

You know, I can take a LOT of ridiculousness from this show, but for some reason, Veronica running her own rum business, now with Cheryl, just seems like so much to take. 

Plus, the added nonsense of Hiram's "rum patent" assertion, at least to a real patent attorney, is hard to hear. While it is barely conceivable that some aspect of a rum recipe could have been patented at some point, even if it could be patented, that patent would have expired since we were told it was an old family recipe from her abuela (grandmother). (US Patents last 20 years) Hiram's claim to have "reversed engineered" his daughter's rum concoction and thus "proved" infringement, which then apparently resulted in instant "cease and desist" - whatever  that means - just made my head explode. This is not remotely how patent litigation actually works. 

I know the writers aren't aiming for accuracy and this is far from the most ridiculous aspect of even just this episode, but If the writers want to throw in gratuitous detail like this, maybe they should first google something for like 10 seconds?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/23/2020 at 1:42 PM, Snookums said:

Lastly, isn't Betty a Vixen? Shouldn't she have been cheering?

I’ve noticed that a few things that Lili doesn’t want to do, Betty doesn’t do. And I’m not saying that in any type of way, like, I’m pretty sure Archie doesn’t really do music anymore (as his main storyline) because KJ hates singing.

As usual, the only story that’s been holding my interest, besides just being impressed overall by KJ’s growth as an actor, is Jughead’s. Did anyone feel as though Bret seemed...sad...that Jug is “dead”? Could it have been an act, sure, and maybe it’s to throw the audience off, but it was just something I noted at the end. Could it be a possibility that Bret isn’t the classic bad guy we’re being force-fed? Because that would be the obvious choice in this particular story.

I saw this stated elsewhere, but hopefully the writers aren’t so inept and their big reveal is not merely “Jughead is really alive!” Like, y’all, we know this. So something else should come out of this that isn’t so predictable and has an actual effect on these characters. If this all ends with milkshakes at Pop’s, it’s a fail of a story, IMO.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 2
On 1/23/2020 at 3:18 AM, thuganomics85 said:

That said, I am so down to watch Veronica and Cheryl team up to sell this rum/maple syrup concoction.

That sounds interesting, but I didn't quite get why that was supposed to work.  Hiram stopped her spiced rum because it was still his core rum recipe with spices added.  Now it appears she's just going to add maple syrup to the core rum recipe?  Isn't that still a violation?

I knew Cheryl was going to win out in the end, but I was actually rooting for the cheer coach.  Someone else said the coach was rude, but I was more offended by Cheryl's smug arrogance.  The Runaway's "Cherry Bomb" was a perfect song for the Vixens.  Just dumb and lewd enough for Riverdale.

I'm glad things worked out well for Monroe, but I hope he doesn't end up addicted to opiates or whatever.  I kept expecting something bad to happen to him, but it didn't.

• Love 1
On 1/24/2020 at 1:20 PM, ahpny said:

Hiram's claim to have "reversed engineered" his daughter's rum concoction and thus "proved" infringement, which then apparently resulted in instant "cease and desist" - whatever  that means - just made my head explode.

Maybe Hiram was bluffing  🙂  

4 hours ago, ketose said:

Could they make the rum from maple syrup? I don't know my liquor like these kids, but rum is usually made from sugar or molasses. That should make it different enough.

Bearing in mind that I know nothing about the subject:

I don't see why you couldn't make alcohol from maple syrup.  I'm not sure that it would still be rum though.

Anyway, it kind of sounded like Veronica was just going to pour the two ingredients together.  Might be popular among all the underage drinkers in Riverdale, but to me it sounds ick.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2020 at 3:53 PM, One Imaginary Girl said:

However, I also wouldn't mind if someone created a TV series in which the adult characters were basically re-creating high school behavior, the flip side of this.  Has there ever been one?

Grey's Anatomy.

Anyway, I'm confused about Bret- is he bi? Was he just eyeing up Veronica to maintain his charade? I thought the character is gay.

Casey Cott has to be so damn bored at this point for as little as Kevin is being able to get to do.

I don't mind the rum thing. It's Riverdale. It's a Bizarro World.

Seeing colleges mentioned makes me laugh because we all know this show isn't actually going to show any of these characters at college- season 5 will skip to them at like 22 and done with college a la One Tree Hill.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 1/23/2020 at 4:42 PM, Snookums said:

Mary being the only parent in town still, I see. Her grounding Archie was a breath of fresh air.

Isn't Archie 18?  And mostly sleeping at the gym?  A little late for "grounding," don'tcha think?!

Of course, Mary can prevent Archie from using her car or cars.  Can't exactly stop him from getting a car of his own, or borrowing someone else's.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:24 AM, SourK said:

i do not trust Riverdale’s  new principal (is his name Honey?) -t all but I found his scene with Betty where she cans up with the idea to become captain of their schools quiz teen fascinating.  

Not only is he Mr. "Honey" (Matilda), but he's "Holden" Honey (some other book that I was told I was supposed to like when I was a teenager -- but didn't!)

And, *snork* -- "Bret Weston Wallis"??  The random literary shoutouts just keep comin', don't they?

• Love 1
On 1/27/2020 at 5:24 PM, The Wild Sow said:

Isn't Archie 18?  And mostly sleeping at the gym?  A little late for "grounding," don'tcha think?!

Of course, Mary can prevent Archie from using her car or cars.  Can't exactly stop him from getting a car of his own, or borrowing someone else's.

Not only is he Mr. "Honey" (Matilda), but he's "Holden" Honey (some other book that I was told I was supposed to like when I was a teenager -- but didn't!)

And, *snork* -- "Bret Weston Wallis"??  The random literary shoutouts just keep comin', don't they?

The Wallis thing took me a second after I read the post. My brain generally goes on strike while I'm watching Riverdale.

1 hour ago, meggonzo said:

Did Betty actually get into Yale, and Alice intercepted the envelope and change the letter?  Am I totally making that up or remembering something from a different show? lol

In the present, Betty is not going. However, the implication is that she will be going in a month after the Jughead thing.

• Love 1
On 1/26/2020 at 3:27 PM, rmontro said:

Maybe Hiram was bluffing  🙂  

Bearing in mind that I know nothing about the subject:

I don't see why you couldn't make alcohol from maple syrup.  I'm not sure that it would still be rum though.

Anyway, it kind of sounded like Veronica was just going to pour the two ingredients together.  Might be popular among all the underage drinkers in Riverdale, but to me it sounds ick.

https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-there-a-liquor-distilled-from-maple-syrup

Seem to be several reasons why it wouldn’t be the beat idea. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Useful 2
On 1/24/2020 at 12:20 PM, ahpny said:

Plus, the added nonsense of Hiram's "rum patent" assertion, at least to a real patent attorney, is hard to hear. While it is barely conceivable that some aspect of a rum recipe could have been patented at some point, even if it could be patented, that patent would have expired since we were told it was an old family recipe from her abuela (grandmother). (US Patents last 20 years) Hiram's claim to have "reversed engineered" his daughter's rum concoction and thus "proved" infringement, which then apparently resulted in instant "cease and desist" - whatever  that means - just made my head explode. This is not remotely how patent litigation actually works. 

I know the writers aren't aiming for accuracy and this is far from the most ridiculous aspect of even just this episode, but If the writers want to throw in gratuitous detail like this, maybe they should first google something for like 10 seconds?

Isn't there a way to renew patents or other forms of IP for food/drink? After all, the precise formulas for Coke are still under some form of IP protection, whether it's in patent, trade secret or something else, right? 

Isn't there a way to renew patents or other forms of IP for food/drink? After all, the precise formulas for Coke are still under some form of IP protection, whether it's in patent, trade secret or something else, right? 

No, there is no such thing as "patent renewal" and there are no special rules for patents relating to food or drink. (You can apply for an improvement of an existing patent, but that would become a new, separate patent). The IP protection of Coke is a trade secret, which can last forever, or at least until the secret becomes not a secret. Patents are different. They have a definite and finite term and require the opposite of keeping something secret: they require full  disclosure of the invention with some amount of detail.