Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: You'll Never Walk Alone

• Start Topic

SEASON FINALE!

Ray finally learns the truth about his sister Bridget's death; Terry reckons with the death of a friend and his own mortality; Mickey's quest for the money he's owed leads to a deadly face-off between the Sullivans and the Donovans.

Original air date: 1/19/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

That was a really powerful final episode to an otherwise inconsistent season. But was it the series' final episode? Has this show been renewed for an eighth season? 

I always miss this show most of all when it is on hiatus and if this was the final end, I am sort of sad. It is hard to say good-bye to these characters forever. 

And again I say: why was Dr. Alan Alda even in this season?

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

But was it the series' final episode? Has this show been renewed for an eighth season?

They are supposed to make a decision in the next few weeks, but it seems likely it will get an eighth and final season.

My biggest question about the episode is, why did Ray dig such a huge freaking hole?? He could have put the whole Sullivan family in that sucker.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

What is with this revisionist history? After Molly played the tape for Ray, he said he didn't know that his sister Bridget was pregnant and that Bridget should have told him. But in S1.E8, he had this conversation with his daughter Bridget:

Bridget: Am I in trouble, daddy?
Ray: Not with me.
Bridget: Are you drunk?
Ray: A little.
Bridget: Why?
Ray: It's your Auntie Bridget's birthday, and my brothers and I, we like to raise a glass to her every year we're together.
Bridget: That's beautiful.
Ray: Remember when I told you that she killed herself? I didn't tell you why. She was pregnant. And she was on drugs.

A few weeks ago, Gary said he couldn't believe that Ray was still working for Jim after what he did to Ray's wife and sister but we only found out what happened to Bridget. Does this mean there's more to come about Abby next season? Now that Jim is dead and Ray has burned this bridges with Molly (meaning he won't have access to all of Jim's tapes), the only way he's going to find out what happened with Jim and Abby is to go back and visit Gary in prison and see if he'll tell him.

RIP Smitty. Who knew that Darryl was psychic?

Mickey claiming that the money from the Sullivan heist was all for Ray and the family while he was pointing a gun at him just made me roll my eyes. Sure, Mick. And so much for Smitty being family. They just left him in the street to die. I'm willing to give Darryl and Bunchy the benefit of the doubt that they didn't see him because I didn't see either of their eyes look down after Darryl started shooting, but Mickey clearly saw Smitty lying there bleeding and clutching his throat and all he did was grab his papers and run.

Molly just lost most of her family all in one day. Now all she has left is one brother (who didn't seem that great, to be honest). But I can't say I'm at all sorry for her loss. Declan and Jim were horrible people so Molly will probably be the only one who cares even a little bit that they're gone.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Is Ray a superhero now? I could have sworn he was shot in the woods.

And just like that all charges against him and the others are dropped and ignored. I too would like to know what the detective will tell her superiors about this (while not involving Ray).

Why did Ray see the deer? Isn't that part of Terry's vision?

Good advertisement for Cadillac that their trunk can handle a dead body.

Is it better to bury Jimmy in the trash bag or out?

Is this really time for a song Bridget? Made your father depressed.

A step in the right direction for Darryl for finally ripping into Mickey. And of course Smitty didn't listen to the only time he gave smart advice.

Darryl could have gotten Smitty out of the way before he started shooting. Just sayin!

Once Smitty purchased flowers, I had a feeling he was a dead man.

How long was Smitty lying in the street? No bystander helped him. Yes. He is a rat but Bunchy and Darryl just left him there is terrible.

I liked how the cars in the back ground kept going by fast as there is a shootout and Smitty is lying in the street dying? No rubberneckers in this part of town.

Now I have to wait in anticipation to know if Terry jumped off the Empire State Building.  Just like Terry to "one up" Dolores and go to a higher building!

Wouldn't there be an autopsy report showing Bridget was pregnant? I find it hard to believe none of this was known to the Donovans. Bridget did try to tell the brothers she was "late" but that flew over their heads as they though she meant for work.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 4

Who is it that keeps thinking the audience wants to hear Bridget sing? IMO they need to be disabused of that belief, with extreme prejudice. 😑

Doesn't seem to me like being pregnant would be enough to make OG Bridget off herself. It must've been who the father was that was the real problem.

Surely young Ray wasn't knowingly pimping out his own sister. But it's hard for me to imagine he didn't suspect what was going on. Perhaps he chose to look the other way.

Completely surprised Bridget took Smitty back. I really thought she'd kill him. But if Mickey and Ray gave him a pass then she had no revenge case anymore, really.

Also surprised Jim Sullivan showed up alone to meet Ray. Well, that was one righteous killing in my book. The Donovans are probably going to have leave town now though.

Of course Mickey effs up again. Was clueless Smitty supposed to be his muscle for that briefcase exchange in the street in broad daylight? Whatever, now Bridget's a widow. Bet she'll turn out to be pregnant.

I'm confident there will be a eighth  season. I can't imagine they'd end the series with this episode. Too many things left hanging in an unsatisfactory way, IMO. 🎶California, here they come! Right back where they started from!🎶

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

RIP Smitty. Who knew that Darryl was psychic?

Well Darryl shot Smitty or caused him to get shot by shooting indiscriminately with Smitty in the line of fire.  I know he wanted to kill Declan for him killing Jasmine but now he's a stone cold murderer?

These Donovan brothers don't hesitate for a second.  Ray didn't have too much conversation before he put one in Jim's head.  Didn't care about messing up the office, just meted out his justice right then and there.

Of course he feels guilty.  Not only was he clueless about what was going on, he forced her to go in when she didn't want to.  He blames Mickey for leaving them vulnerable to all kinds of predators but he's also partly culpable by getting close to Sullivan.

As soon as he heard the tape, he leaves, because he knows he's going to kill her father and she would never forgive him so they're not going to be around each other or whatever Molly said.

OK, the cabin situation is still ridiculous.  Now Perry is going to have to explain those assassins being shot in the woods by someone else's gun.  She will also have to explain why she was in there by herself and one other cop.  I guess we assume Ferrati goes down, which would be huge news, not just in the city but nationally and internationally.

Mickey was ready to shoot Ray over the god damn papers.  Of course Ray was planing to kill Jim by that point so he knew the papers would be worthless.  With Jim and Declan murdered, that IPO wasn't going to go anywhere.  That's another reason, Molly isn't going to be too happy with Ray after the company is wrecked.

Mickey clutching at those stock certificates, with the IPO ruined now.  All his kids hate him, even Bunchy and Darryl, who both have been willing to go along with Mickey's schemes, wouldn't talk to him.

Terry can't open a pill bottle and he's going to be able to get around all the caging at the Empire State Building?  Much easier for him to get a gun.  I guess they wanted to show some symmetry.  He gets the idea of jumping off a building because of the old woman but also Bridget had jumped off a building.

Can Dr. Amiot see Terry knowing that he had also treated Ray?

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Also surprised Jim Sullivan showed up alone to meet Ray. Well, that was one righteous killing in my book. The Donovans are probably going to have leave town now though.

Yeah that doesn't make sense either.  Sounded like it was a long way out for him to come to Ray.

He'd just been kidnapped and now he's going to go around without a bodyguard?

But maybe he didn't care, he was terminal anyways.  Maybe him blabbing endlessly about Luger was a sign of surrender, a relatively minor privilege for a guy that rich.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm confident there will be a eighth  season. I can't imagine they'd end the series with this episode. Too many things left hanging in an unsatisfactory way, IMO. 🎶California, here they come! Right back where they started from!🎶

I disagree. I think it is curtains for the series: Ray Donovan. It would have been renewed already because the actors make other commitments, they do not let their careers hang in limbo until decisions are made and they may not be available if it gets a green light. 

I think they are all just fine with this episode being the series finale. Not much really needs to be answered and I think they want ambiguity with Terry and Bridget just waiting for Smitty to come home and Ray digging a grave. 

3 hours ago, scrb said:

These Donovan brothers don't hesitate for a second.  Ray didn't have too much conversation before he put one in Jim's head.  Didn't care about messing up the office, just meted out his justice right then and there.

Can Dr. Amiot see Terry knowing that he had also treated Ray?

Liev Schreiber has called Ray Donovan a serial  killer. Dr. Amiot was talking to Terry like a friend, not as a patient. So I suppose the rules do not apply. 

• Love 1

If this was the series finale it would be kind of odd.

Forget the sequence but we saw Smitty die from overhead view, Mickey sneaks off with the worthless paper, Terry heading towards the end of the observation deck and looking down on NY.

And the final scene for Ray was shoveling dirt on Jim Sullivan's corpse?

Yeah it is odd for Showtime to delay announcing, since they've already announced Shameless is coming back, this summer no less.

But if they let Ray go, they would be losing Homeland, Shameless and Ray Donovan this year.

Those are three of their mainstays.  Only Billions may be doing better.

It would be tough for them to turn over almost their entire slate at once.

That was depressing.  I don't think one character came out better at the end and rays of hope (pun intended)

The Alan Alda character has a duty to report a suicidal patient. If he thinks Terry is serious, he can get the police involved, so I think Terry must have said he'd changed his mind as they both stood there shaking in tandem

I hope this is not the end, but if it is, I can live with it. Can't imagine a more fractured family. Are they imitating The Godfather?

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Badlands said:

My biggest question about the episode is, why did Ray dig such a huge freaking hole?? He could have put the whole Sullivan family in that sucker.

And at the end it looked as if he didn't have enough dirt to fill it up.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Who is it that keeps thinking the audience wants to hear Bridget sing? IMO they need to be disabused of that belief, with extreme prejudice. 😑

At least they made up for it at the end by giving us the Elvis version (which was a bit better). 😉😉😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I want them back in Boston where they started.   That would be a great ending.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Is Ray a superhero now? I could have sworn he was shot in the woods.

He went down like he was shot. He was probably wearing a vest but it was odd they just decided to ignore that. 

8 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

x100!  No more!!!!

For one brief second I had hope that Ray was going to be burying Mickey.  Sigh.  Nope.  He’s still walking, leaving more chaos in his wake.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, scrb said:

Of course Ray was planing to kill Jim by that point so he knew the papers would be worthless.  With Jim and Declan murdered, that IPO wasn't going to go anywhere.  That's another reason, Molly isn't going to be too happy with Ray after the company is wrecked.

Was the other brother killed?  Molly lost her whole family?  Pretty sad.  I don't think she's going to be blaming Ray after she listened to the tapes.  If they have another season I hope those two can work it out.  Probably not.

God this episode was sad. So they open the show with Linda Ronstadt the most beautiful voice ever and then subject us to Bridget singing? That was enough to make me want to take a header off a tall building.

I hope this isn't the end for the show. As ridiculous as the show can be sometimes I just really love it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

It would have been renewed already because the actors make other commitments, they do not let their careers hang in limbo until decisions are made and they may not be available if it gets a green light. 

When you're contracted to a show as a series regular, you can't make other commitments. Well, you can, but the show has first position which means that if filming your other commitments comes into conflict with your show, you have to either hope that the producers are willing to make adjustments to the shooting schedule (and some do). If not, you have to drop the other projects. Until the actors are released from their contracts, Liev et al are obligated to Ray Donovan first.

IIRC, there is a specific date for upcoming seasons that serves as a deadline for when actors have to be notified that the show will be coming back for the following season but it's some time after the final upfronts in May (similar to how colleges have a deadline to inform applicants whether they have been accepted or rejected for the upcoming school year).

Unfortunately, some networks are assholes. I remember a few years ago, there was a show on Freeform/ABC Family called The Lying Game. Freeform has their own schedule that consists of four blocks (one for each season) so they split up each show's season into two blocks. Each show airs as either a fall/spring show or a winter/summer show so the S2 finale aired in March and the network had their upfronts some time that spring (I want to say April or May). They trotted out the star of the show and had her do all these interviews and publicity events for the show at upfronts. Then they canceled the show in July.

• Useful 2
21 hours ago, scrb said:

Well Darryl shot Smitty or caused him to get shot by shooting indiscriminately with Smitty in the line of fire.  I know he wanted to kill Declan for him killing Jasmine but now he's a stone cold murderer?

Darryl is already a stone cold murderer from going to the former cop's son's house and killing him to get the tapes for Mickey.  Darryl is a completely lost soul who's been acting with complete, reckless abandon -- which resulted in Jasmine and Smitty's deaths.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I remember a few years ago, there was a show on Freeform/ABC Family called The Lying Game. Freeform has their own schedule that consists of four blocks (one for each season) so they split up each show's season into two blocks. Each show airs as either a fall/spring show or a winter/summer show so the S2 finale aired in March and the network had their upfronts some time that spring (I want to say April or May). They trotted out the star of the show and had her do all these interviews and publicity events for the show at upfronts. Then they canceled the show in July.

The Lying Game was a great show that was definitely screwed...very typical conduct by Freeform/ABC Family. They had a lot of great shows that they didn't know how to handle. They are now down to minimal shows and reruns of movies.

I really liked this season of Ray Donavan. It was the best since Season 3, which was my all time favorite. The flashback scenes and the look at the earlier lives of the Donavans was very good. Mickey was always a piece of crap as a human. The actor who played young Ray was great and it was good to learn more about Bridget and the circumstances leading to her death. Mickey showed himself to be a cold hearted bastard twice in this episode. Staring blankley while Ray rightfully ripped into him for abandoning his kids to predators. HIs only concern was the case with the papers. And later, ignoring a dying Smitty when he only cared about retrieving the papers which were now worthless. Mickey should die alone and rejected. The final family members he bamboozled finally (should) hate his guts.

Edited by BigDfromLA
  • Love 5
On 1/19/2020 at 3:05 PM, Lemons said:

Fuck that ending with Mickey walking away unscathed.   

Maybe he's a super hero or something so evil that it CANNOT BE DESTROYED!!! I wonder if he and Negan are related because Mickey is one POS with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Poor dumb Smitty, guilty of falling in love with a girl from a family that even the Sopranos would be wary of, ends up dead on the ground, gasping for breath. Man, that was hard to watch.

I hope the show is coming back for one last hurrah but if this was it, then I guess I'm satisfied with that ending. God knows I've seen worse - GoT looking right at you!

• Love 1

Speculating but it could be that the stars and the producers are holding out for more money.

Maybe Clair Danes money.

That's why Showtime hasn't committed yet.

With  Showtime losing several of it's older series this year, they may be testing how much they are willing to keep a proven show in their lineup.

I think it would be perfect to have one more final season, ten more episodes. I don't think this is a good stopping point to end the show. I would love to see everyone relocate back to L.A. for a final season. Maybe Boston would be intriguing, but an L.A. return would be great! They all need to leave New York. No one has any reason to stay there at this point.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, BigDfromLA said:

I think it would be perfect to have one more final season, ten more episodes. I don't think this is a good stopping point to end the show. I would love to see everyone relocate back to L.A. for a final season. Maybe Boston would be intriguing, but an L.A. return would be great! They all need to leave New York. No one has any reason to stay there at this point.

What’s in LA for any of them?  Terry can’t do much of anything anymore.  Bridget is going to break down when she gets the news.  Ray is probably out in terms of doing that type of work.  How many more people can he kill? Darryl needs to go on the run.   Their old lives are not waiting for them in LA.  

So they retconned that!

Ray said back in season one that Bridget was pregnant when she jumped, also that she was high on drugs that Mickey was selling. That was one reason he blamed Mickey for her death, that she was getting high on his drugs. They even showed a scene where she was obviously high and teetering on the ledge and then let herself fall over.

Then in this episode she looks totally sober when she jumped. Flashbacks don't show that she ever used drugs. Now Ray or Mickey didn't know she was pregnant.  It still could have worked to have Jim Sullivan rape and get her pregnant, and she felt she had nowhere to turn so she jumped. While high. But to write that they didn't know she was pregnant, and have her totally sober when she jumped was a continuity fail. That bugs me!

Poor Smitty dying in the street. Hopefully he isn't dead, but he looked like he was breathing his last in that one scene.

• Love 4

I certainly didn't care for the ending. There were more questions than weren't  answered. What will, Ray do now? What about the police and the shooting involving the judge?, Smitty dead?, Bunchy and Daryll on the run, to where? What will Bridget do? Where is Mickey going? Did Terry jump? What did Alan Alda have to do with anything, just filler it seems. What happened to Sandy and the gold coins? A lot of loose ends to leave the viewer wondering. If this is the last episode a lot of loose ends could have been tidied up by leaving out Bridget singing scene and Alan Alda and Terry talking. I'm not happy with it, maybe a follow up movie to gives us closure. As bad as Mickey was he was one of my favorite characters. Anyway I did enjoy the show and will miss it and after Homeland will cancel my Showtime subscription. 

7 hours ago, Lemons said:

What’s in LA for any of them?  Terry can’t do much of anything anymore.  Bridget is going to break down when she gets the news.  Ray is probably out in terms of doing that type of work.  How many more people can he kill? Darryl needs to go on the run.   Their old lives are not waiting for them in LA.  

Well Lena could be back after her rebooted show ends.

But Bridget probably has nostalgia since she grew up there.  She could go back hooking up with Ken Cosgrove since Smitty is dead.

Someone noted that Hawkeye played the same tune on the piano that was in the MASH series finale, so it's suppose to be a tipoff that it's the end.

However, Liev said on his Instagram (see media thread) that the fans should let Showtime know that they want the show to continue.

• Love 1

Let me see if I have this correct:
1) Smitty is dead.  Left in the street to bleed out.  Nobody stopped. Nobody called the police.
2) Mickey has the papers.  I assume these are bearer bonds, or something similar.  And he needs to find someone to buy them.  I guess he will try to go back to the curious stock broker guy. 
3) Bunchy is alive and well, although his child is gone to South America with the mother.  So, that ends that story line.
4) Darryl is also alive and well, although his GF is dead.  Ouch.
5) Ray's daughter, Bridget, is headed back to LA.  Her husband is dead. 
6) My favorite, Terry, is struggling with Parkinson's and is scoping out tall buildings.  Oh no.
7) My REAL favorite, Lena, is also back in LA.  OK...let's move back to LA and continue the series, with lots of Lena episodes.
😎 Did Avi (Ray's LA-based muscle) get relocated to South America somewhere?  Lets bring him back. 
9) Can we get a few more episodes with Susan Sarandon...just asking for a friend. Ha.
10) That mayor really has to go.  Time for the baseball bat!

😎

• Love 2
On 1/22/2020 at 2:54 PM, gail56 said:

Poor Smitty dying in the street. Hopefully he isn't dead, but he looked like he was breathing his last in that one scene.

Pretty sure he's dead.  I saw that part again and his breathing was labored, and then it stopped as he looked skyward.