Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Yee-Haw

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Nope! The car washing guy failed the written four times. That's why he was just a chauffeur for that other chief. I don't know how the heck Owen was allowed to hire someone who couldn't pass the written test. (You don't even move on to the physical test until after you've passed the written.)

I took it that he passed the screening test . It was the course work at the academy which was failed 

2 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Right? I was truly perplexed why the catering bill for pasta salad and sandwiches for *maybe* 15 people was that much.  If that was the common pricing, no wonder they didn't tip the man. 

Not to mention, it would be standard for a service charge to be built in on an order like that. The entire storyline was weak and just done for shock factor like S1 OG 9-1-1.

• Love 1

I watched this episode before the pilot, and now that I've watched the pilot, I liked this episode.  I'm always in for a Rob Lowe show, and I am happy to give the rest of the cast time to become a team and gel better.  At this point, seeing that the new firehouse team is just being pulled together, I'd expect them not to work so well together.  I like it as well as 9-1-1. 

Not sure why the odd light filtering, though. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, mojito said:

The zombie-like mercury people. The bigot vs the minorities bit seemed lifted from a 1960s comedy when that kind of thing was novel. Now it's tired and juvenile.

Except bigotry like that still happens today. I'm sitting here in my apt in Austin. I have a friend who will pick up some PRN shifts at the local hospitals. She just had a middle aged woman present at the emergency department and do this same thing. The woman didn't want a doctor who looked middle eastern or south Asian because "those people" are all Muslim terrorists. She didn't want an east Asian doctor because they can't speak English. She complained about wanting a "normal" doctor aka white. The found a Black doctor that she agreed to let her examine her, but only after checking to see if he was from Africa because he might have Ebola or AIDS. She wasn't homeless or mentally ill. Just a run of the mill middle class middle aged racist white lady.

On 1/21/2020 at 12:47 PM, iMonrey said:

The thing about Liv Tyler is that she is a very specific type of character actress. You can't just plug her into any role, and this is not the role for her. I concur she is the weakest link here. 

On 1/21/2020 at 5:56 PM, DearEvette said:

Bingo. She doesn't seem like she is a best fit here.  Makes me wonder who else was up for the role?

On 1/22/2020 at 11:48 AM, iMonrey said:

Sometimes they are just looking for a big name. "Who can we get that is available and looking to do TV?" That's often the way certain actors wind up on certain shows. 

I said last week that I thought Liv's style works really well on Harlots. It doesn't work on this. I can think of so many actresses I'd rather see in the role: Amanda Peet, Annabeth Gish, Kim Raver, Sherry Stringfield, Regina Hall, Carla Gugino, Sarah Clarke, Juliette Lewis, Eva Mendes, Gabrielle Union, Michelle Monaghan, Kelly Hu, Michael Michelle, Nia Long, Ana Ortiz, Judy Greer, and Elizabeth Peña. I'd say that many of these actresses are probably as much of a "big name" as Liv is.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Amanda Peet, Annabeth Gish, Kim Raver, Sherry Stringfield, Regina Hall, Carla Gugino, Sarah Clarke, Juliette Lewis, Eva Mendes, Gabrielle Union, Michelle Monaghan, Kelly Hu, Michael Michelle, Nia Long, Ana Ortiz, Judy Greer, and Elizabeth Peña

I would definitely co-sign on at least half of these - man, any one of Gabrielle Union, Michelle Monaghan, or Ana Ortiz would have rocked this role! And I one hundred percent agree that this role does not fit Liv's style of acting.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saoirse said:

And I one hundred percent agree that this role does not fit Liv's style of acting.

I felt this especially in the first episode when she was big footing Owen about who takes charge of a scene depending on what type of call it was. It felt too forced.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Nope! The car washing guy failed the written four times. That's why he was just a chauffeur for that other chief. I don't know how the heck Owen was allowed to hire someone who couldn't pass the written test. (You don't even move on to the physical test until after you've passed the written.)

Rob Lowe did call him "probie" at one point.

• Useful 1
On 1/21/2020 at 5:05 AM, CapnDonkey said:

I had one major issue with this episode.   Several minor ones, but one I just can't get over.  After they rescue the schizophrenic from the gas leak and the whole apartment building goes up in a giant fireball.  JUD JUST FREAKING STOOD THERE SMIRKING.  Would a guy with severe PTSD who just lost his whole company to a huge explosion have ZERO reaction to a huge explosion involving his new company?  The show missed a huge opportunity to show his reaction to another group of firefighters in imminent danger of exploding.  Instead, they showed him over the captain's shoulder, looking bemused at the giant scary explosion he just witnessed more firefighters running and barely escaping from.

That's not how you show a character with supposed PTSD react to an explosion.  It was all I could think about for the rest of the show.

I just came here to say the same. It annoyed me so much that he was just standing next there. 

On 1/21/2020 at 12:00 PM, icemiser69 said:

I don't blame Owen for not telling his son that he (Owen) has cancer.  That said, once he told others about it, he lost control of that information and his son most likely will find out about the cancer whether Owen wants his son to eventually know about it or not.

Also, they are taking about it openly at work. Someone’s going to overhear. 

On 1/21/2020 at 8:28 PM, slasherboy said:

Ok, I don't remember a wave pool rescue at all.  Could someone please remind me?  Thanks!

They must’ve cut that scene from this episode. Maybe it will pop up later. 

• Love 1
On 1/21/2020 at 12:42 PM, DFWGina said:

as a former 80s brat pack loving teen -- you had me at Rob Lowe (ha!).  I can't not watch him!

Me too!  I'll watch him in anything!  Unfortunately, RL's track record for starring in a show that lasts for more than one season is slim to none.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:05 AM, CapnDonkey said:

I had one major issue with this episode.   Several minor ones, but one I just can't get over.  After they rescue the schizophrenic from the gas leak and the whole apartment building goes up in a giant fireball.  JUD JUST FREAKING STOOD THERE SMIRKING.  Would a guy with severe PTSD who just lost his whole company to a huge explosion have ZERO reaction to a huge explosion involving his new company?  The show missed a huge opportunity to show his reaction to another group of firefighters in imminent danger of exploding.  Instead, they showed him over the captain's shoulder, looking bemused at the giant scary explosion he just witnessed more firefighters running and barely escaping from.

Totally agree!  

I'm fine with the diversity of characters; however, I think it would have been better if it were spread over the season instead of putting all of their backstories in the first show.  The trans person could have casually mentioned being trans in another episode.  And did the gay son have to introduced as gay and an opioid addict in the same/first episode?  They couldn't have introduced Grace as Judd's wife in the 2nd ep? 

I agree with everyone else re: Liv Tyler.  She has the acting range of a wet noodle!  Watching her treat these victims/patients is the most unrealistic part...and for this show, that's saying A LOT!

I think it took the entire Scooby Doo crew way too long to figure out it was the food that was the cause.  Since everyone else in the building seemed to be fine and I assume a gas leak or carbon monoxide was ruled out, I would think the next logical step would be something they all ate.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I'm fine with the diversity of characters; however, I think it would have been better if it were spread over the season instead of putting all of their backstories in the first show.  The trans person could have casually mentioned being trans in another episode.  And did the gay son have to introduced as gay and an opioid addict in the same/first episode?  They couldn't have introduced Grace as Judd's wife in the 2nd ep? 

Would it have bothered you if we met Judd's dispatcher wife if she was white? Or if TK had an opioid problem if he was straight? Why does the mere existence of a trans person who acknowledges being trans something to be saved for later? If he'd referenced something else, like if he had Italian heritage or was a foodie, would that be "too much" to reference?

I'm genuinely astonished by how big a deal it is that these characters are not trying to pass. We're not getting stories about closety angst or hostility from coworkers, but it seems like the relaxedness and acceptance from the team is somehow bothering people who watch them. It's like the lack of identity distress in show is making folks uncomfortable. Just existing seems to be enough to offend.

Meanwhile, we have babies in their carseats landing in treetops, and giant pools of mercury causing people to throw themselves through glass and plummet to their deaths. We have apartment buildings exploding and everybody just shrugs.

I liked that Lowe's character wasn't willing to give up on the paranoid tenant, and the team found a way to "meet him where he is" and I like that they didn't abandon the other man's cats (though some other member of the squad should have held them once they got outside, so the allergic guy didn't have to risk anaphalaxis by prolonging the exposure).

I think the counting for PTSD therapy is to help ground you while you confront the memories. You can tell yourself you only have to get to 5, it's not going to last forever, and it keeps you from going all the way into the flashback and getting overwhelmed, by giving you some touchstone in the present moment.

I wonder why the promo people didn't update the description after the wave story got cut.  Was it a last minute change???

Another thing I liked is how they handled the curandera story. They were basically respectful-- acknowledging how it made no sense to her, but they didn't paint the curandera as a charlatan, either.

And I liked how she was with the asthmatic boy and his family. I want to know more about this organization she works with, that helps people "without asking questions"-- I got the impression that she volunteers on her own time, and that the intubation scene was not part of her regular EMT job, but a call she took through her off books volunteering.

I hope I'm not mixing up which incidents happened in which episode. I watched Eps 1 and 2 on the same night.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:56 PM, DearEvette said:

Presumably this will change given how rich the lives are for the POC and LGBTQ characters in  original recipe 9-1-1 is, but for now it is all the sound and fury and ain't signifying a lot.

...and yet it's still too much for a lot of viewers. Maybe they are starting off centering the focus on white characters to get white people to watch and not be too freaked out about sharing the stage with so many "others". Sad.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Love the attempt at portraying diversity - and kudos to them for a passing (?) grade. Now all they have to do is work really, really hard to take it up a few notches in quality and depth.

I'll watch again. Hoping for more line-dancing, good country music, and horseback riding. Rob looks good in a hat. I have a particular appreciation for hats as I own several cowboy* hats, and the wildest cowboy* shoes in the world, acquired during my years living as a westerner. (* pronounced "kuh-boy" just to get a reaction)

Also enjoyed the curandera plot. The bath scene with Liv was interesting, my kind of bath. I expected the photo to go up in flames.

On 1/22/2020 at 10:27 PM, Riplet68 said:

i like the Muslim chick, but I think her head thing (sorry, be brain can’t come up with right word) would be a big safety hazard for a fireman and therefore a no no

I only watched a little bit of the pilot, so maybe I missed whatever big safety hazard you're talking about, but in general wouldn't a female firefighter wearing a (obviously flame retardant) hijab be safer than a female firefighter with a lot of (flammable) hair?

• Love 5
On 1/24/2020 at 12:00 AM, Zoe said:

Rob Lowe did call him "probie" at one point.

Yes, which is a probationary firefighter. That is typically one who has completed training and graduated the academy, and is in a probationary period on active duty - probably 6-12 months, where they are evaluated and can be dismissed without some of the more stringent requirements that would need to be met to fire a "fully qualified" firefighter.

A probie is not someone who hasn't yet been able to complete training.

• Love 1

The first scene seemed to be almost answering my complaints from last week! "Oh hey, turns out Austin has tons of the stuff we have in New York, tons of yoga and health food stores and cool stuff everywhere!" I think that this was an improvement on the pilot, if still clearly figuring itself out. Its trying to be its own thing from the parent show, and I think some of that explains the over the top cowboy references and the yee haw stuff, but it also has basically the same format, which makes its differences mostly aesthetic for now, as the characters are trying to find themselves and the story is trying to figure out its own identity. 

The main call stories were pretty good, the mercury poisoning was creepy, especially how blase the killer was. Always tip your delivery guy I guess. Everyone messing with the racist lady, and finally arresting her, was pretty good as well. The Hispanic family she was harassing was looked almost archetypal Texan family as well, I mean the dad came out drinking a beer and wearing a Dallas Cowboys shirt! 

I normally like Liv Tyler, but her style just isnt working for me here. Maybe its because her character is stuck with the standard angsty backstory of "my relative was killed/disappeared and I must find justice!" story. Considering I am guessing that her sister will turn out to be alive, and just fucked off somewhere for three years, she is gonna feel pretty dumb that she kept banging on that guys door!

• Love 2

Hmm.  Where to start?

I see no chemistry between Liv Tyler's character and Rob Lowe's character, so I know they're probably going to become a thing, but I'm hoping they don't become a thing.  

I have liked Liv Tyler in everything I've seen her in before (LoTR & Armageddon basically) but I agree with others that she just doesn't fit in this role.  She is sometimes speaking with an almost seductive?? breathy whisper (outside of her normal breathy whisper, I mean) and it is very distracting.

I thought it would be revealed that Mateo is dyslexic and only needs to take an oral exam to pass, but then we just kind of forgot about him altogether, I guess.

It was ridiculous when Paul was "doing his thing." That was some really terrible writing since 1.) we (along with the team) have never witnessed Paul "doing his thing" previously but the show is acting like they've already established that the team is familiar with how Paul works??, and 2.) All these people got sick directly after lunch and there was a huge puddle of mercury in the middle of that sandwich. Doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that there was an issue with the lunch delivery!  

It is good that Rob Lowe's character cares about his appearance, but I hope it doesn't become a thing in every episode.  His character having a skincare regimen and sharing that with his team?  It didn't really fit with the fact that he looks like he's been hitting the tanning bed really hard, but okay, that was a nice thing for him to do.  But the hair injections and hair pills and obsession with keeping his hair was a bit much.  I don't want to know what the man eats, but I bet we're going to find out about his very special diet in the near future. 😭

Carlos seems sweet and TK doesn't seem like a bad guy, but I don't like that the show put the two together in the second episode.  No build-up or anything.  TK seems to want something purely physical with no strings attached while Carlos seems like he wants a relationship, so it's probably just going to be a big drama-filled mess.  I hope not, but I don't have faith in the writers.  Sigh. I'd rather they break things off now and let TK slowly realize he has feelings for Carlos.  A nice slow-burn is what I prefer (but not too slow...get them back together before season's end).     

Marjan was kind of got forgotten, too.  The cast is large and I think that's going to be a problem.  Might need to get rid of some of the dead weight before season's end (not Natacha Karam, though.  I liked her in The Brave, so I'm hoping they give her an interesting storyline here).  

• Love 2

Ugh. I tried a second episode and regret it. The stories aren’t interesting. The cases, which are the part of original 911 I like the most, suffer in service to the horrible character building they’re attempting. And by attempt I mean dump exposition through poorly done speeches or badly acted sketches. I’m also over tv preaching to me. Why not try to tell an interesting, well-done story and include your point of view in that story instead? This trash pile has a stinking cherry on top that is Tyler‘s unfortunate acting. She is just not good. Sorry Rob Lowe, I would usually stick around longer for you and the nostalgic lure you hold, but I’m out. 

Edited by ramble
  • Love 2

There is a scene where Liv is standing in the street staring at a small house (her brother in law's?) and there is significant music playing and then we switch immediately to three raccoons digging through trash cans at the same time of night in front of a similar looking house and I wondered why we were being shown raccoons and then the raccoons start talking. It was bizarre and confused me for a few seconds, it was such a shock. It was also a Geico commercial that they started immediately at the break from the show such that at first it seemed to be a part of the show.  Good job station. You got me.

So Michelle is practicing medicine outside work hours, off the job, for acquaintances who are afraid to go the doctor because of ICE etc. Aside from the weird intubation scene which I don't buy at all, she virtually prescribed and supplied a prescription inhaler to the kid and was acting like a medical professional on the side, apart from her legal job as an EMT. This cannot be legal. It is weird that the show is letting her do this. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I'm on the NO to Liv in this role. It's not just her breathy voice, it's the absolute no emotion behind the breathy voice. She's having an argument and her voice doesn't change. That's what gets me, her voice is so monotone.

• Love 1