Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Yee-Haw

• Start Topic

The crew races to a disaster at a wave pool, and an outbreak of mercury poisoning that is leaving its victims in a a zombie-like state. Meanwhile, Owen must come to terms with his illness and what the side-effects of treatment may do to his vanity. Also, Michelle follows a new lead on her missing sister while TK is unsure how to handle his budding relationship with Carlos.

Airing Monday, January 20, 2020.

Jesus.  What is going on with Liv Tyler's voice when she's talking to Owen?  Is she trying to sound sexy?  If so, it's not working because she sounds creepy as hell.  She's a horrible actress.  

• Love 15

Ok episode 2 was already 10 times better then the pilot.    I loved most of the rescues.  The office rescue was great and the racist old lady was hilarious.   I am also getting a feel for a couple of the main stories.   The guy with PTSD.  Liv Taylor and her search for her sister.  And Owen and his cancer that will probably not kill him but may make him make some vanity choices.  

And most importantly folks,  remember to tip

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

Liv Tyler was the weak spot in That Thing You Do..She's also a weak spot here. I actually thought this was better but found myself hating it with the tedium of it all...I am out....I went to Hulu and watched the pilot for the original and found that a lot more fun...this just seems so lifeless and sour.

• Love 1

OK, I was kind of hard on the pilot, but I'll admit this episode was better (a low bar, I know).

It was fairly obvious when they made a point of showing the office guy mark thru the tip line on the receipt, that the food would be tampered with in some way.  I was thinking everyone would just get sick.  I had no idea they would all become suicidal.  Well played, show.  And tip your delivery guy.

I remember racist lady from being on Days of our Lives years ago.  She's lost a lot of weight.  Good for her.

Somebody get poor Liv Tyler some breathing treatments.  Poor thing seems perpetually out of breath.

Anyone catch what Jud's hand tattoo says?  I saw "Psalm" but not the number.

Two explosions in two episodes.  The pyrotechnic budget for this show must be pretty high.

They really need to tone down Lowe's character's obsession with his looks.  Its already getting old.  I actually thought he looked pretty good bald.

This show is making me think I need to move to Austin.  Firefighters with $4500/month rents, cops with very nice apartments, and EMTs who can afford to literally burn $100 bills.  Salaries in this area must be thru the roof.

And I called in the other thread that the sister wasn't dead!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I saw "Psalm" but not the number.

I thought I caught it on the episode last night - Psalm 31?

"In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me."

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

This show is coming along. I hope if this show takes root like the original we get episodes that focus on the individual characters.

I feel at the very least we will get Rob Lowe's  character backstory given that it would include WTC and 9-11

2 minutes ago, saoirse said:

I thought I caught it on the episode last night - Psalm 31?

a lament psalm in which David is trying to work through a problem in his life with the Lord's help. That problem – as it turns out – is his son Absalom entering into Jerusalem to kill his own father

according to google

• Useful 2

Liv Tyler is one of the biggest problems of this show for me, but definitely not the only problem that's refraining me from liking this show.

But really, Michelle's not an appealing lead...but she could have potentially been a bit better with a better actress.

This episode had a lot of horrible writing as well. Yes, the pilot was bad, but this was just as bad. Ok, maybe it was MARGINALLY better with a couple of characters getting ok moments. TK's a solid character. Carlos...had some ok moments. Judd is, by far, the best character for this show. I care about him and I care about his wife.

Owen has some ok moments, but I'm not completely feeling his character, not when he's telling people about his illness left and right but not his own son. The cases this episode were...ok, nothing special. No way would the firefighters be the one leading the charge on Conspiracy Theorist Guy who was just waving a gun around. 

Really, this episode didn't make me want to watch episode 3. A lot of horrible writing, truly. Liv Tyler is a god awful actress who WILL ruin this show for me if I give it another chance. The character is too irritating to boot, with her getting pretty much half the screentime and sharing no chemistry with her supposed love interest in Owen.

And the filter they're using is so dull. 

It's not that I want to hate this show; I grew to like the original, but even 9-1-1 had a rough start. Except...it was more absurd and satire-like than dull, boring, and poorly written. So this show has got to give me more than what it's given me. I'm going to give it one more shot. I might even try to stick around until the end of the season, but I don't know yet.

I blame the god awful "Yee Haw" moment at the end. That really turned me off almost completely. I was willing to really give the show more of a try before that. Now, I'm going to question myself if I watch the entire season.

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 10

I live in Austin Texas and all of this is completely fake actually the only real thing with the trashcan at the very end of tonight’s show is a real trashy Austin only has 50 stations if you count for a temporary station and the toll plaza. The average culture awesome fire is not nearly as dramatic it’s interesting that the EMS lady is able to carry around medical equipment while she’s off duty intubate a conscious person and then remove the tube and leave. Also I wasn’t watching close but I’m medical calls it seems like she’s the only one who’s doing anything remotely medical most of the Austin EMS personnel are in white uniform white shirts. Also you may see some other dispatch personnel in the background this one dispatcher seems to be the main dispatch or call taker for every single called they get that couldn’t be further from the truth

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The captain's vanity was annoying but I liked that they took it seriously and didn't just laugh at him so by the end he acknowledged his own ridiculousness. RL has always been a good looking man but he is kinda getting up there in years to be a panty dropper to women of all ages. 

Judd is turning into a good character. Michelle reminds me of Athena who is abrasive to me but I'll give it some time.

• Love 1

I had one major issue with this episode.   Several minor ones, but one I just can't get over.  After they rescue the schizophrenic from the gas leak and the whole apartment building goes up in a giant fireball.  JUD JUST FREAKING STOOD THERE SMIRKING.  Would a guy with severe PTSD who just lost his whole company to a huge explosion have ZERO reaction to a huge explosion involving his new company?  The show missed a huge opportunity to show his reaction to another group of firefighters in imminent danger of exploding.  Instead, they showed him over the captain's shoulder, looking bemused at the giant scary explosion he just witnessed more firefighters running and barely escaping from.

That's not how you show a character with supposed PTSD react to an explosion.  It was all I could think about for the rest of the show.

That and checking for the strings that hold Liv Tyler up.   Yeesh.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Did they say what cancer he had? Would be smart to link it to him being apart of the 9-11 first responders.

Yes, it is some form of lung cancer and his doctor said it was 9/11 related. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Oh man this is gonna be another show where I don’t get why people hate an actor.   I never understood the hate for JLH now it’s Liv Taylor although I don’t recall seeing the former in anything.   Still her story and the PTSD one right now are the only two really grabbing me beside the fun rescues.   

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Oh man this is gonna be another show where I don’t get why people hate an actor.   I never understood the hate for JLH now it’s Liv Taylor although I don’t recall seeing the former in anything.   Still her story and the PTSD one right now are the only two really grabbing me beside the fun rescues.   

I don't get the hate for either actress either.  I'm not a superfan of either actress but I've got no problem with them.  Liv Tyler's voice is a little breathy but that's just her natural voice.

I'm sticking with this show for now.  I certainly don't watch the 911 mothership for anything resembling reality so I'm not expecting it from this show either.  I see people complaining about the heavy-handed diversity but the pilot specifically laid out that the 126 was going to be rebuilt with a focus on making it more diverse so...

I guess mercury doesn't have a taste?

• Love 8

That was pretty painful to watch. The original at least hooked us from the start with interesting, bonded characters. Here there is no bond between the house members because they all just met. Rob Lowe's character (don't know his name) is going to be tough to like with this ridiculous obsessive vanity over his hair, FFS. The character is essentially written to be unlikable. 

I really couldn't watch the Mad Hatter/mercury scenes because they were so awful. Was this one "ripped from the headlines?" Because when I Googled Mad Hatter syndrome, the symptoms barely mentioned suicidal tendencies although they did include hallucinations. I didn't even notice the guy didn't tip, because I was too busy wondering how that catering bill could possibly have added up to over $2,000. 

It seemed silly for trans guy (don't know his name either) to "do a thing" to deduce that the catered food was the culprit (and the other crew members saying he was "doing a thing" as if they all know and are familiar with each other seemed unlikely).

I like the storyline for Liv Tyler's character, but wish someone else was acting it.

I, too, must have dozed off during the wave pool scene...

Not sure I will continue watching this.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 5

Living in Texas (not Austin), I was surprised at the way Austin/Texans are portrayed in the show.  Sad they went that way since it isn't remotely close to a large city in Texas.  Seems way more rural than actual Austin.  That said, this episode was way better than the pilot which I enjoyed but found a little slow/boring -- compared to the original 9-1-1.  I don't hate Liv Tyler but all those fillers and whatnot for her face make her look a lot older than she actually is.

Also - if the Rob Lowe character were as vain as he is portrayed to be -- he'd be getting at least botox from the dermatologist along with whatever his hair care regimen is...

I'm in - mostly because I love the crazy of a Ryan Murphy/Brad Falchuk show - and as a former 80s brat pack loving teen -- you had me at Rob Lowe (ha!).  I can't not watch him!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I really couldn't watch the Mad Hatter/mercury scenes because they were so awful. Was this one "ripped from the headlines?" Because when I Googled Mad Hatter syndrome, the symptoms barely mentioned suicidal tendencies although they did include hallucinations. IT seemed silly for trans guy (don't know his name either) to "do a thing" to deduce that the catered food was the culprit (and the other crew members saying he was "doing a thing" as if they all know and are familiar with each other seemed unlikely.

It also made me roll my eyes when Michelle was the one to diagnose it within seconds. I know she's in the medical field but IMMEDIATELY jumping to "IT'S MAD HATTER SYNDROME!" is just ridiculous. 

• Love 4

The thing about Liv Tyler is that she is a very specific type of character actress. You can't just plug her into any role, and this is not the role for her. I concur she is the weakest link here. 

I suppose this is an adequate substitute while the original show is on hiatus but they need to up their game in terms of the characters. So far I'm only interested in TK and not!Hoyt. That's it. Rob Lowe is just kind of there, being Rob Lowe, and Liv Tyler is annoying me. 

Also, I get what they're going for here, but what is the likelihood that you get a fire truck pull up that has A Muslim, and A Black, and A Gay, and A Trans . . . I mean did they dial 911 or the rainbow coalition? Also I'm not sure you want OCD guy who was washing the car if he failed the written test four times. If you're putting together a team of fire fighters you want people who can pass the damn test more than people who are really good a washing cars. 

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Also, I get what they're going for here, but what is the likelihood that you get a fire truck pull up that has A Muslim, and A Black, and A Gay, and A Trans . . . I mean did they dial 911 or the rainbow coalition?

Wasn't that the mandate given to the AFD? To be more diverse? I thought that was stated in the pilot.  So Owen specifically and intentionally chose these people.  That was my understanding anyway.  Yeah, ordinarily you'd not get this wide a swath of people in a firehouse but when it's been stated that that's the goal...

Eh, as a born and bred Texan living just a hop, skip, and a jump from Austin (my sister and parents live there), I'm not bothered by how Austin is being portrayed.  I long ago stopped expecting even 75% reality from my tv dramas.  I watch tv for pure escapist entertainment and if I can watch with only half of my brain engaged then all the better.  I leave it to books to provide a more intellectual way to pass the time.  I am tickled to hear the characters mention places that I am familiar with, like Judd being from Seguin.  I have one of my five library cards from their public library (which is free to me a county resident). 

• Love 4

My problem with Liv Tyler isn't her acting (can take her or leave her)...it is her hair.  She has what looks like a poor color job; but the main thing is her hair just hangs down around her face.  For the love of God, pull your hair back...ponytail, topknot, whatever.  Who goes to fire and rescue scenes with their hair like that?  I would think it could get caught in something.  Just me?

• Love 4

I liked this one a little better than the pilot.  I liked the rescues even if I had to suspend some disbelief over the mercury poisoning.  In the words of the great Frank Pembleton  "crime make you stupid."  Dude, they were going to find the mercury in the food and you were 1) going to jail and 2) ruining your whole ass business because who is going to want to order from anyone who delivered mercury on food?  All for lack of a tip?

So far though I the only characters I am particularly invested in is Hoyt and his wife.

I'd like to see more of the Muslim girl, the actress has a lot of charisma and has stood out in her so far smallish scenes.

TK?  Meh. 

Re: Liv Tyler

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The thing about Liv Tyler is that she is a very specific type of character actress. You can't just plug her into any role, and this is not the role for her. I concur she is the weakest link here. 

Bingo. She doesn't seem like she is a best fit here.  Makes me wonder who else was up for the role?

This show is just too woke and politically  correct for me.

For all of the 'diversity' there is very little inclusion. Two episodes in and it is clear that the white characters in the ensemble are still the the ones in pole position because so far it is only the white characters who are getting any real character development: Rob and his cancer, TK and his drug background & love life, Liv and her sister, and Hoyt and his trauma.   In typical tv fashion the non-white characters are just their identities.  So no, the show is not 'woke.'

Presumably this will change given how rich the lives are for the POC and LGBTQ characters in  original recipe 9-1-1 is, but for now it is all the sound and fury and ain't signifying a lot.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I'd like to see more of the Muslim girl, the actress has a lot of charisma and has stood out in her so far smallish scenes.

I remember the actress from one of the better short lived shows in the last couple of years called The Brave. She was great there, so I'm not surprised she's great here.

32 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

For all of the 'diversity' there is very little inclusion. Two episodes in and it is clear that the white characters in the ensemble are still the the ones in pole position because so far it is only the white characters who are getting any real character development: Rob and his cancer, TK and his drug background & love life, Liv and her sister, and Hoyt and his trauma.   In typical tv fashion the non-white characters are just their identities.  So no, the show is not 'woke.'

So true. WAYYYY too much of Liv Tyler. A bit too much of Rob Lowe (but he was the initial draw for the show, so I get it) and not enough of the other firefighters so far. Even 9-1-1 had their supporting characters get small moments in their first two episodes. So this show needs to step it up for episode 3.

• Love 2

Whenever Rob said anything instructive to his squad about skincare or haircare, I felt like I watching an extension of his Atkins commercials.  I have nothing against Atkins and have done it successfully in the past, but that was when he felt least like an actor portraying his character.  His diatribes went on for a long time, too.

I sort of "appreciated" seeing a man with cancer being worried about his change in appearance due to treatment, in that it's usually portrayed as a female thing to be so sad about hair loss.  And obviously it's about more than just the loss of hair itself, which I think they showed decently.  That said, Owen's fixation on his "signature look" felt like overkill to me.  While I don't think it's fueled by 100% vanity, I also was a little "huh?" about it coming from a firefighter with decades of experience.  Are we to believe that Owen has no scars or other physical marks from his profession?  Or that he hasn't worked alongside tons of men and women who do, like that could just as easily be him?   Or is that part of why he's so obsessed with his hair as something he can control? ...

Yikes, when TK made that comment at the Overlords/Resistance apartment complex along the lines of "one spark and this will be the biggest barbecue in Texas history," I rewound to see if Judd was standing near him.  I don't think he was, but yikes.  That's not something to say in front of someone who lost his entire house to a gigantic blaze.  (And then when fire did erupt at the apartment, it was way smaller than the one that took out the previous 126.)

With the LA-based 911 show, they can focus on their own shift, but with the whole reason for Owen being drafted to Austin being to rebuild the entire house, it seems kind of weird to me to only focus on the six firefighters on this shift.  I get why they would do this for the narrative and screen time, but it undermines the need for someone with Owen's experience immediately after they established it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I remember the actress from one of the better short lived shows in the last couple of years called The Brave. She was great there, so I'm not surprised she's great here.

Of the military themed broadcast network shows that came out with The Brave I thought it was the best. But with a lot of competition that season. Besides being the same show as the first season of the TV Taken it made a big mistake in military culture and I wonder if they lost that built in audience, especially when instead of correcting their error or just not making the mistake in later episodes  they doubled down because they just had to use the cool informal honorarium for their captain. I can't remember did they end with her still captured on that cliffhanger? In any case  only SEAL Team among all those shows survives to this day.

• Love 2

I think Rob Lowe’s character is supposed to be some version of an east coast metrosexual thrown into Texas which is all fine and good.  It’s a city he found all the places that fit his health conscious needs then that woman showed up with her kids and the cookie.....”The secret ingredient is lard.”

I think another reason to include someone from New York is the plain old culture shock.   Nothing wrong with the south.  Although I have never been to Texas I have been to the Carolinas and I can see the food choices throwing Rob Lowe’s character for a loop.   As a New Yorker (Adjacent) I could never find a decent pizza and I hated that everything was covered in oceans of gravy.    

But damn if you like your BBQ

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Eh, as a born and bred Texan living just a hop, skip, and a jump from Austin (my sister and parents live there), I'm not bothered by how Austin is being portrayed.

Not everyone who lives in Austin was born there. That said, if they wanted more of a stereotypical Texas flavor they should have set this show in a more rural part of Texas than Austin. I suppose they want the flexibility to do both urban and rural rescue stories.

Bingo. She doesn't seem like she is a best fit here.  Makes me wonder who else was up for the role?

Sometimes they are just looking for a big name. "Who can we get that is available and looking to do TV?" That's often the way certain actors wind up on certain shows. 

but I can't foresee it surviving S01 and it will likely be cancelled.

It's getting pretty decent ratings so as long as it doesn't tank by the time its run is finished it will likely be back. 

On 1/21/2020 at 1:47 PM, iMonrey said:

but what is the likelihood that you get a fire truck pull up that has A Muslim, and A Black, and A Gay, and A Trans . . . I mean did they dial 911 or the rainbow coalition?

First of all.. You forgot to add the word PERSON after all those descriptors... Secondly the mandate from the DOJ lady and the Fire chief was to be more diverse than before.. Apparently almost all the firehouses were lacking before the mandate came in and as of the pilot 36 of 45 had gotten some percentage better.. So this captain looked for talented firefighters ( who happened to not be white men)  and asked them to come join him

• Love 10
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

First of all.. You forgot to add the word PERSON after all those descriptors... Secondly the mandate from the DOJ lady and the Fire chief was to be more diverse than before.. Apparently almost all the firehouses were lacking before the mandate came in and as of the pilot 36 of 45 had gotten some percentage better.. So this captain looked for talented firefighters ( who happened to not be white men)  and asked them to come join him

Did they take the standardized tests that firefighters are required to pass? Did the union sign off on it? Did anyone who was on the list and was passed over sue? Doesn’t almost every municipality require preference be given to residents over outsiders? 

Or is this just a fever dream of wokeness?

I read somewhere that the ratings were far below what original recipe 911 brought in at the same time slot.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Did they take the standardized tests that firefighters are required to pass? Did the union sign off on it? Did anyone who was on the list and was passed over sue? Doesn’t almost every municipality require preference be given to residents over outsiders? 

Or is this just a fever dream of wokeness?

I read somewhere that the ratings were far below what original recipe 911 brought in at the same time slot.

Since they were all already Firefighters and not just randos from the streets- the answer to your question about taking the standardized test is yes.  Also, the requirement, at least where we live, is that you have to LIVE within 10 miles of the station- as the crow flies.  They all were transplanting themselves, therefore- choosing residences within that criteria.  This is also a fictional show by a person who doesn't give a damn about reality, so it really doesn't matter anyway.  

• Love 6
Just now, Whimsy said:

This is also a fictional show by a person who doesn't give a damn about reality, so it really doesn't matter anyway.  

Very true. They didn’t make this show for anyone who knows anything about the fire department.

They proved that upfront when the Captain had a NYFD patch. You knew it was ludicrous tripe from that moment forward. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Whimsy said:
55 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Since they were all already Firefighters and not just randos from the streets- the answer to your question about taking the standardized test is yes.

I mean..... Smh thank you.. I cant believe its 2020 and I'm still out here defending diversity and pushing back on the notion that a very diverse group of ppl is an agenda or some form of "wokeness"

• Love 7

I don’t think black dude is trans. Pretty sure he just said that to mess with racist lady.  His “thing” is that he’s good at figuring stuff out.  Captain hired him because of a video showing him take out an arsonist at a fire that no one suspected.

yes:  Rob Lowe, super sleuth fireman, and PTSD guy (Hayes him first episode, liked him in second)

no: Liv Tyler and her hair and breathy voice.  Jerk gay son, too many southern stereo types. 

i like the Muslim chick, but I think her head thing (sorry, be brain can’t come up with right word) would be a big safety hazard for a fireman and therefore a no no

4 minutes ago, Riplet68 said:

I don’t think black dude is trans. Pretty sure he just said that to mess with racist lady.  His “thing” is that he’s good at figuring stuff out.  Captain hired him because of a video showing him take out an arsonist at a fire that no one suspected.

Actually both the character of Paul and the actor portraying him are trans men.

His 'thing' that they talk about is exactly that - he is really good at figuring things out. That's why they all stepped back and let him do his analysis thing with the food.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

Just a nit pick with the sandwiches. I would have taken the "lid" off to put on mayo or mustard or pickles or something, and seen the shiny mercury in the center, rolling around. I know ... *hand wave*

Rob Lowe's son is a huge jerky mcjerk. It's fine with me if he wants to OD again.

I didn't realize PTSD guy got hired. But he's pretty interesting, maybe the best character. I do like metro Rob though. Pretty funny.

Liv Tyler scenes mean I can do something else when she's on.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Liv Tyler scenes mean I can do something else when she's on.

I mean this in the kindest way possible for Liv, but if the show goes on, I'm really hoping that she pulls an Abby Clark and goes to find herself somewhere far away. I'll stick around if she does, but like you, good time to do something else.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I wonder if they are actually going to have Rob Lowe go bald for awhile, or if it's just going to be about the fear of losing his hair. As a woman, when I was told my type of chemo could cause "hair thinning," I initially put on the brave face and said "it's just hair," but I imagine for men of a certain age it's a bigger deal psychologically. In-show they said it was about facing mortality, but for white, attractive men who have always been at the top of the food chain, hair loss is also linked to a loss of status, whereas for women it's more about identity --which they seem to be making Rob Lowe's character's concerns about. Eh, I suppose identity and status are linked closely enough that it doesn't matter, but it probably should on a show that's all about diversity. 
I also wonder how much the hair-loss scripts are being informed by cancer treatment alums and medical practitioners. For me, a big part of it was the itching, burning when the hair first started to go. I've never seen that depicted on screen. But a bigger deal is that they now have these "cold caps" that have been accepted for use by respected cancer centers. I'd like to see Rob wearing one under a cowboy hat or his rescue headgear. I think they probably do have medical consultants from what we've heard so far, but treatments are rapidly progressing; it might be hard for the show to keep up.

• Useful 2
13 hours ago, Riplet68 said:

I don’t think black dude is trans. Pretty sure he just said that to mess with racist lady.

Both the character and the actor and trans men. I thought that moment where she decided, well, okay, I GUESS I can deal with the black guy (though I'm sure she thought that with different words) and he whispered that to her was awesome ... predictable but really well delivered. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 3

Original recipe 911 has a few weak(er) actors, so it all comes down to cast chemistry and this cast doesn't have it.  Yet. Maybe it will develop.  Perhaps I'll let a few episodes pile up and check back in later.      

On 1/21/2020 at 1:38 PM, Jillybean said:

I didn't even notice the guy didn't tip, because I was too busy wondering how that catering bill could possibly have added up to over $2,000. 

Right? I was truly perplexed why the catering bill for pasta salad and sandwiches for *maybe* 15 people was that much.  If that was the common pricing, no wonder they didn't tip the man. 

On 1/21/2020 at 6:56 PM, DearEvette said:

In typical tv fashion the non-white characters are just their identities.

Pretty much.  

I thought this episode was idiotic.

The zombie-like mercury people. The bigot vs the minorities bit seemed lifted from a 1960s comedy when that kind of thing was novel. Now it's tired and juvenile. The two people ripping their clothes off and going at it. Yawn. I guess since it's two guys doing it, it's supposed to be titillating. Rob Lowe's fretting over his "signature" look.

Is this show trying to be a spoof of modern TV dramas?

• Love 2

Since they were all already Firefighters and not just randos from the streets- the answer to your question about taking the standardized test is yes

Nope! The car washing guy failed the written four times. That's why he was just a chauffeur for that other chief. I don't know how the heck Owen was allowed to hire someone who couldn't pass the written test. (You don't even move on to the physical test until after you've passed the written.)

• Love 1