Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E13: Loaʻa pono ka ʻiole i ka pūnana (The Rat Was Caught Right in the Nest)

• Start Topic

Well, a remarkable 5-0 episode in that no suspects were shot or tortured and the people who helped did not turn out to be bad guys! Well, except that Yakuza boss but that's not a bug, it's a feature and Adam knew it going in.

And Adam, now that you get to be the obayun in disguise? Tell Steve! Tell Danny! Tell the whole damn team. I always hated those 24 plots where Jack Bauer had to pretend to work for the bad guys and would always lose the trust of his own side because he couldn't tell them he was undercover or his family was being threatened or etc.

The high-speed golf cart chase was ridiculous but in a fun way. The only thing that didn't work for me there was the car crash noise when they collided. I don't think golf carts colliding would sound like that although I am fair certain if I look up golf cart collisions on the internet I can find a definitive answer.

They missed an opportunity with Tani walking into the empty 5-0 headquarters. She should have said "not the CIA again!"

I loved seeing Duke shit a brick when he opened that fake wall full of fake cash.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Well, a remarkable 5-0 episode in that no suspects were shot or tortured and the people who helped did not turn out to be bad guys! Well, except that Yakuza boss but that's not a bug, it's a feature and Adam knew it going in.

And Adam, now that you get to be the obayun in disguise? Tell Steve! Tell Danny! Tell the whole damn team. I always hated those 24 plots where Jack Bauer had to pretend to work for the bad guys and would always lose the trust of his own side because he couldn't tell them he was undercover or his family was being threatened or etc.

The high-speed golf cart chase was ridiculous but in a fun way. The only thing that didn't work for me there was the car crash noise when they collided. I don't think golf carts colliding would sound like that although I am fair certain if I look up golf cart collisions on the internet I can find a definitive answer.

They missed an opportunity with Tani walking into the empty 5-0 headquarters. She should have said "not the CIA again!"

I loved seeing Duke shit a brick when he opened that fake wall full of fake cash.

Regarding the bolded: The head of the Yakuza is the oyabun; not the obayun. Just a small spelling error.

• Useful 2

What was with that silly storyline with tracking down the father of the kid that bullied Danny’s kid?  It was so weird.  Are they introducing a new character?  A possible love interest for Tani, since Junior is suddenly...away?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

What was with that silly storyline with tracking down the father of the kid that bullied Danny’s kid?  It was so weird.  Are they introducing a new character?  A possible love interest for Tani, since Junior is suddenly...away?

Really strange. Danny went from a potential raving lunatic to a surprisingly calm adult/father, which was totally out of character for him. And why did "Uncle Steve" have to accompany him. That made even less sense. The two of them together are escalating the unbearable meter.

I guess Danny & Quinn are now working alternate weeks. And why was Junior also missing. Is it budgetary?

No comment on Adam's new adventure which has been done a gazillion times before. Although I did learn a new word: OYABUN.

ETA: I do have a comment about the Adam stuff.

How are they so sure Five-0 will take him back?  Isn't he a suspect in an unsolved murder where his watch was found at the scene?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

What was with that silly storyline with tracking down the father of the kid that bullied Danny’s kid?

I think there was a missed opportunity in the principal's office---Danny remarking that Charlie's mom wasn't there and the principal saying "it's family only", Danny saying "he's family"---either Danny or Steve should have said "he's my partner", with the principal taking it the "obvious way" and then they have to clarify "we work together". Other than that, at least D&S were in the same scenes together--often, if S & D are on the same episode (especially if it's a Danny's kids story), they seem to work separately. ETA: Having just seen the synopsis for the next episode, that looks to be the case that week:

Spoiler

Danny stranded in a remote area and Steve working another case

Edited by illdoc
9 minutes ago, preeya said:

I guess Danny & Quinn are now working alternate weeks. And why was Junior also missing. Is it budgetary?

The only way it wouldn't be budgetary is if the actor has another gig, and I haven't seen him doing anything else, so I think it's definitely a budget issue. 

And yeah, the Quinn/Danny budget trade-off setup situation is hilarious. 

It's kind of weird that Junior/Tani apparently got together for good on another series, only for him to be gone before they could appear together on an episode of their own series!

Well CIA plot thing as Steve's house last week went from a pig sty to neat. That is TV for you. Steve and Danny at least give them credit for not at all torturing the father and the kids made out as friends.

No mention of the CIA or being in a tent at all. But it is like they buried it under the rug.

Really glad Lou took the lead here. And that he did a Steve like thing with the golf cart. Loved the security guard working with Lou and with fighting skills there. Wow.

Light hearted from last week there for sure. 

I enjoyed this episode.  Really liked the head of security working with Lou although I did anticipate that Lou would not want to join that club after all.  Eddie!  And, of course a dog brings the boys together!  That Eddie can do it all...

I'm glad that Adam is going back to his roots.  It will be interesting to see where his story goes.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Just my 2 cents said:

At least they were able to give Junior an excuse for being absent in the plot (his SEAL team was called up for maneuvers or something—I forget exactly what). That’s more than they do for Danny most episodes when he’s gone. And I have no idea why Quinn is suddenly going MIA about every other week. As far as I know Katrina Law was hired for a full time role & she’s not working on other shows (or movies, etc.) at the same time.

17 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

At least they were able to give Junior an excuse for being absent in the plot (his SEAL team was called up for maneuvers or something—I forget exactly what). That’s more than they do for Danny most episodes when he’s gone. And I have no idea why Quinn is suddenly going MIA about every other week. As far as I know Katrina Law was hired for a full time role & she’s not working on other shows (or movies, etc.) at the same time.

Even if Staff Sergeant Quinn did not leave the Army with high recommendations upon discharge like Special Warfare Operator Reigns she can just as easily be called up for Army Reserve training or National Guard drill weekend as Junior can for Naval Reserve training.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I appreciate that they explain their absences.  I know that 5-0 is a small unit, but they could allude to the fact that these guys work 24-7 and that some have time off from working the weekend or a late night case.

I'm not sure when this was filmed, but I know around the end of November Katrina did a comic-con event.  I don't know if I typed that correctly.  I know that some on twitter and instagram have mentioned that she likes to do a lot of these events.  I suppose she could have been away doing that.  I know that sometimes they have had regular cast members miss an episode or two.  I suppose this year it's possible since they have such a big cast.  I think they get paid per episode so that would help with the budgeting.

Edited by Just my 2 cents
  • Love 1

There's no question McBride can be lead on the show. It's much better when he's taking the lead. I would like to see him lead Five-0 and leave Steve to go off and do Steve missions.

He's so great with the snapping his lines - Don't. Don't you run!

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, tvfanatic13 said:

The Steve/Danny plot had no plot. Weird.

This was want I meant a while ago when I said not everyone has to be in every episode. Jun was 'at reserves'. Steve didn't need to be in here either. Of course, Five-0 has the full authority to pull over people for no reason.

Is there some kind of running gag in the writers' room to make Adam as ridiculous as possible? You know this isn't going to end well. Or it will last 2 weeks and that's it. I like how the music was all ominous.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Raja said:

Even if Staff Sergeant Quinn did not leave the Army with high recommendations upon discharge like Special Warfare Operator Reigns she can just as easily be called up for Army Reserve training or National Guard drill weekend as Junior can for Naval Reserve training.

I don't get why they can have an excuse for Jun but never Danny or Quinn. It's remarkably lazy because it's rather easy to address. Either don't say anything about anyone, or take the 5 minutes to come up with an reason. I would have just had Quinn still be in Army, and called in to Five-0 on a special basis. That's fine too. Or called up for training, whatever. The point is, it's not that hard.

Holy shit they showed the open market near where I lived in Tokyo.

I liked the case. Even though it's a murder, there was the whole financial angle to it. You'd think they would want to do more white collar cases to widen the scope of the stories.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:48 AM, Brian Cronin said:

It's kind of weird that Junior/Tani apparently got together for good on another series, only for him to be gone before they could appear together on an episode of their own series!

Did they hook up on Magnum? I forgot to record it.

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

SPOILER ALERT it depends upon your definition of hook up. They were both on Magnum PI along with Sergeant Liu.

3 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't care if I'm spoiled. I don't like the show enough to worry about it.

Well I'm on my phone but the last post on the Magnum forum describes the situation for other people who care.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 12:02 PM, LotusFlower said:

What was with that silly storyline with tracking down the father of the kid that bullied Danny’s kid?  

I long ago quit expecting a realistic portrayal of law enforcement on this show.  If ever there was an abuse of authority (might one even say . . . bullying?), it was Danny and Steve using lights and sirens (not to mention use of government resources to track down the vehicle) to stop a civilian who was neither accused or suspected of committing any crime.

I kept thinking "Dude, you have a slam dunk lawsuit dropped in your lap!"  Get your $200/hr lawyers on this case and let HPD pay for your divorce.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I long ago quit expecting a realistic portrayal of law enforcement on this show.  If ever there was an abuse of authority (might one even say . . . bullying?), it was Danny and Steve using lights and sirens (not to mention use of government resources to track down the vehicle) to stop a civilian who was neither accused or suspected of committing any crime.

I kept thinking "Dude, you have a slam dunk lawsuit dropped in your lap!"  Get your $200/hr lawyers on this case and let HPD pay for your divorce.  

I think the irony was lost on the writers there.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

They ended the episode slow dancing together on their date. We don't know beyond that, but they're clearly established as a couple at least, ya know? 

On 1/11/2020 at 11:39 AM, illdoc said:

I think there was a missed opportunity in the principal's office---Danny remarking that Charlie's mom wasn't there and the principal saying "it's family only", Danny saying "he's family"---either Danny or Steve should have said "he's my partner", with the principal taking it the "obvious way" and then they have to clarify "we work together".

Didn't they do exactly that?  It sounded like Steve started to say "I'm his part... We work together."  Because they've been mistaken for "partners" before.

Finally, an episode I really enjoyed. It was a fun case and I think Zev the club security chief was a great actor. Loved his voice and accent. I Googled him and he turns out to be a very well-known and respected Israeli actor.

I also liked the actor who played Blake's dad. He seemed fairly natural and I could see him with Tani if it doesn't work out with Junior.

The only false note this time was in the Adam plot line, as usual. So he's in Japan, but he and the Yakuza bigshot speak to each other in English? Also he's speaking in English to the girl from the club? And for some reason, Adam's English has developed the cadence of someone not fluent in the language? Subtitles would have made it more realistic than having Japanese people in Japan speaking English to one another. 

• Love 2

I'm not going to really call bs on them speaking in English because a Friday night audience isn't going to read subtitles. It's Five-0 ffs. I can fanwank that we heard them in english, but they were speaking Japanese.

When you look at the show as a whole, there's a lot of places where you'd expect non-english speaking scenes. They're just not going to do that.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2020 at 2:15 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't get why they can have an excuse for Jun but never Danny or Quinn.

They don't always have an excuse, but on this episode they said Quinn was at a deposition.  Then when Tani showed up at Steve's, he said he didn't think Quinn was coming over after her deposition.

• Love 1

Yeah as really sometimes as mentioned before they pulled over the father with their red lights and sirens, Steve says he was bullied as a child before he went to become a SEAL but still he bullies it seems without even knowing it

Danny. Sure they are like brothers but sometimes I wish at times Danny stood up to Steve. Or he may try to. Makes you wonder why he just takes Steve's putting up with him. Give Danny a medal for that. 

This was a fun episode. I loved that instead of portraying the private club's head of security as a wannabe rent-a-cop, he was instead incredibly skilled: forensic accounting, investigation, martial arts. I too would watch a buddy series that starred him and Grover.

I don't know why Blake's dad even got out of his car. If he had refused, what would they do? Upper middle-class white dude is not getting shot by the cops, no matter how lawless they are. And the idea of Tani + Blake's dad instead of Tani with Junior hurts my feelings.

On 1/17/2020 at 6:31 PM, Arkay said:

The only false note this time was in the Adam plot line, as usual. So he's in Japan, but he and the Yakuza bigshot speak to each other in English? Also he's speaking in English to the girl from the club? And for some reason, Adam's English has developed the cadence of someone not fluent in the language? Subtitles would have made it more realistic than having Japanese people in Japan speaking English to one another. 

I do think it would have been better if they'd spoken Japanese, and even Adam's bad Japanese accent would be fine since English is supposed to be his first language anyway, but everyone speaking English would have been okay if the actress, in particular, hadn't tried to fake being a native Japanese speaker speaking English with a Japanese accent because she sounded ridiculous. Not quite Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi ridiculous, but still pretty bad. The head of the Yakuza sounded okay though. Though I also agree that it might have been hard to get three American actors to speak convincing Japanese, so in that case, it's probably best to let them speak English without trying to do accents they can't do and let the audience suspend disbelief.

5 hours ago, fishcakes said:

This was a fun episode. I loved that instead of portraying the private club's head of security as a wannabe rent-a-cop, he was instead incredibly skilled: forensic accounting, investigation, martial arts. I too would watch a buddy series that starred him and Grover.

I don't know why Blake's dad even got out of his car. If he had refused, what would they do? Upper middle-class white dude is not getting shot by the cops, no matter how lawless they are. And the idea of Tani + Blake's dad instead of Tani with Junior hurts my feelings.

I do think it would have been better if they'd spoken Japanese, and even Adam's bad Japanese accent would be fine since English is supposed to be his first language anyway, but everyone speaking English would have been okay if the actress, in particular, hadn't tried to fake being a native Japanese speaker speaking English with a Japanese accent because she sounded ridiculous. Not quite Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi ridiculous, but still pretty bad. The head of the Yakuza sounded okay though. Though I also agree that it might have been hard to get three American actors to speak convincing Japanese, so in that case, it's probably best to let them speak English without trying to do accents they can't do and let the audience suspend disbelief.

Way back at, or towards, the beginning of his storyline, Adam actually spoke Japanese to his father (a big Yakuza player who was believed dead, but was actually hiding as I remember) in a telephone call scene. So, yeah, the Japanese could’ve been done on Ian Anthony Dale’s part; partially, perhaps, because he’s part Japanese in real life.