Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: 411 EXIT

mxc90
  • Start Topic

Well, this episode turned into Twin Peaks: The Return pretty damn quick. 

And with all the burning questions this episode left me with, none of them seem more baffling to me as to why a man representing the biggest company in the world would show up for a meeting looking like an unshaven bum. 

Did the explosion at ECorp trigger some time loop/alternate plane concocted by White Rose?  That's what I'm guessing, but maybe I missed something.  RIP White Rose.

That was a mindf*ck to see Elliot's "alternate" life, with those faces from the past:  Angela, nerdy tech boss Tyrell Wellick, the two dudes from Allsafe 1.0, and Mr Alderson.  Strange that Darlene didn't exist in AU world.   

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 4

Still 10 minutes to go but...

WHAT'S HAPPENING????

THIS IS SO STUPID!  WHY THEY GO THIS ROUTE??.

Is this the  Matrix or something?  

They better fix this. I'm tired of the shows I love getting STUPID in the finale. 

What the actual hell am I watching???

Did elliot and Tyrell switch places???

Edited by hnygrl
  • Love 2

I assumed that Elliot’s references to “headache” and then “migraine” tell us that he has suffered a head injury and that none of that part is real. 
But I’m not sure precisely at what point the unreality begins. Does he actually have a conversation with WhiteRose? Or does he see her body and have the conversation in his head? 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I assumed that Elliot’s references to “headache” and then “migraine” tell us that he has suffered a head injury and that none of that part is real. 

Time travel rules tell us that 2 Elliot's can't occupy the same space. Once OurElliot landed (Earthquake) in the alternate timeline the headaches began.

I'm guessing OurElliot also made a visit to Angela's apartment which explains why her mom hung up and the blood & glass in the trash can.

OurElliot probably stole Mr. Robot's phone and Elliot's wallet too.

I'm trying to hold judgement until the finale but I really hate this plot turn! 

*With the season set around Christmas I'm getting 'Its a Wonderful Life' vibes. Elliot will see this alternate life (without Darlene) and beg Whiterose to go back...

Edited by crimsongrl
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, patty1h said:

Did the explosion at ECorp trigger some time loop/alternate plane concocted by White Rose?  That's what I'm guessing, but maybe I missed something.  RIP White Rose.

That was a mindf*ck to see Elliot's "alternate" life, with those faces from the past:  Angela, nerdy tech boss Tyrell Wellick, the two dudes from Allsafe 1.0, and Mr Alderson.  Strange that Darlene didn't exist in AU world.   

I noticed that only people that had died in our world were in this alternative reality, which would explain Angela calling Elliot an only child. Darlene is not dead in our world therefore she does not exist in this new reality.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But I’m not sure precisely at what point the unreality begins. Does he actually have a conversation with WhiteRose? Or does he see her body and have the conversation in his head? 

We could be just seeing Elliot's mind palace and he has created his ideal reality. It was weird to see his father after what we found out about him.  I wonder if his mother is kind and loving in his head?

Could this be a West World computer program type thing where our brain function was downloaded like software into an artificial electronic heaven? Is that why all the Dark Army could so easily kill themselves?

In other words, I got nothing.

Edited by qtpye
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

And with all the burning questions this episode left me with, none of them seem more baffling to me as to why a man representing the biggest company in the world would show up for a meeting looking like an unshaven bum. 

Because in this reality, F Corp is the antithesis of everything E Corp represents. I saw Tyrell and F Corp as the idealized fantasy Elliot had of creating a group that saves the world and makes it better. So Tyrell is not going to be a suit wearing prick like Price was and other money hungry corporate stiffs. And instead is this tech genius who created a company that does good in the world. 

I don't know, maybe I'm being stubborn because I know I'm supposed to think this time travel stuff is real and what's happening. But honestly, I came away from this episode further convinced that as speculated by others, real Elliot's been asleep and hoodie wearing Elliot has always been an alter.

Everything from the moment Whiterose shot herself, in my opinion, is happening in Elliot's head. Alter hacker Elliot needs to go into that other Elliot world to finally figure out everything that's happened because it's obvious he doesn't realize he himself is still an alter. But for Elliot to wake up fully, all the alters and million personalities he has running around in his head, need to integrate and get back to this reality. That's my theory anyway. 

Meanwhile, I'm surprised no one has mentioned their making it appear like Darlene saw Mr. Robot. I think that was deliberately misleading though and she was talking to Elliot. And while Elliot's alternate reality was clearly meant to be cheesy, it just further convinced me how much I never shipped him and Angela. 

I don't know, Rami and Portia just never zinged for me. I felt Rami had far better chemistry with the actress who played Shayla and even that ten minutes total of screen time, I felt more between him and the actress who played Olivia.

eta: I know some are speculating elsewhere that perhaps Darlene has never existed, with Elliot being an only child in his alternate reality, his forgetting her in the first season, etc.

Honestly, I just take it as sadly, I don't think Elliot cares much for Darlene. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say he hates her, and their scene at the start of the episode was sweet but there's clearly a complicated love/hate thing with him towards her. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Ehh, I don't know what the fuck is going on at this point. However, I thought the alt Elliot part was well done. However, given the reunion feel of the show, they really missed an opportunity by not using Joey BadA$$'s song Devastated when alt Elliot was in the cab.

I used to feel so devastated
At times I thought we'd never make it
But now we on our way to greatness
And all that ever took was patience

That would have been perfect for the scene.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 4

I actually liked this one, but I love OK Go, and now have that song stuck in my head. 

It was nice seeing Angela again, and a happier Elliot, a good dad, the people in the office, and Tyrell looking more like the Elliot we're used to. I figured they would find a way to bring people back somehow, since it's ending next week. 

I'm just wondering if this was the one they were waiting for - the alternate personality. 

I also liked what Elliot said to White Rose. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2

It seems like Tyrell is also stuck in the same loop (or whatever it is) as Elliott -- living his best life in nearly an exact opposite manner in whatever timeline/alternate universe was presented last night. 

I didn't understand the episode (and likely won't until next week's finale airs) but did enjoy it.

I was intrigued by Whiterose’s conversation with Elliott about hating people, and a new world. Some wonder if the higher rate of suicide today is due to people somehow realizing that this world is not as it should be. I thought maybe that’s where the conversation was going. And then the show went to The Matrix.

• Love 4

I also see Darlene looking at Mr. Robot. That’s been happening for the last few episodes at least, and I don’t know how to explain that.

The best part of the episode for me was finally getting an explanation of why Tyrell “died” looking at flashing red lights while a siren went off. 

I’m a little worried that we’re this close to the end and things are so convoluted.

Edited by Blindfox
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Anela said:

I figured they would find a way to bring people back somehow, since it's ending next week. 

Thanks for mentioning this. I didn't realize there were 2 episodes next week. But that makes sense since they have been showing Christmas ornaments for the last few episodes. I wonder if it will end with some sort of new year/new decade symbolism. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Are we sure this is an alternate universe, and not some kind of self insert Mr. Robot fanfic that Whiterose somehow wrote and then brought to life where she could not only be her preferred gender in public, but also is apparently the best, richest, and most loved person on the planet? 

I really didnt think the show would really go there, and, while its ridiculous, its not boring at least, and stuff is actually happening, so I cant say I am not entertained. It was also fun seeing Rami play this different version of Elliot, while also letting bits of normal Elliot out, he is just always a blast to watch. 

Interesting that Darlene doesent exist in this world, is Mr. Alderson in this world also not a horrible child abuser? Does that have something to do with it? Or is this whole place just some kind of afterlife, and thats why we see so many dead characters still around, including Whiterose herself, and possibly Elliot as well. 

• Love 2

Whiterose’s speech described her project just as I have suspected it to be, down to her rationalizing away all the blood on her hands, including her own, with the idea that all will be resurrected  in the parallel reality.  However, either the machine  didn’t work as she predicted or the alternate universe is in Elliot’s head. Different choices will save some but eliminate others—bye-bye Darlene. But as many of you feared a working time machine, I fear the whole show will turn out to be the future Elliot hallucinated while in the mental hospital. We could still see a clean slate as he reintegrates his selves and starts out anew in a first-glimpsed real world inhabited by the real Elliot. 

• Love 3

I though this episode was weird....but I'm also rewatching the first three seasons and in either the end of season 2, or beginning of 3 Angela definitely foreshadows the alternate reality scenario...or maybe it's just another psychosis Elliot's experiencing bcuz no way do a believe a leave-it-to-beaver-esque wrap up for the show. That would be, just no.

Never anticipated White Rose would end thisparticular way - dead, yes, but in a private, rather ceremonial suicide.  Total kudos to BD Wong for pretty  much the entire series, but especially that last horribly painful speech. I'm just trying to figure out exactly where that whole sit-down really takes place. Maybe that will be the same sort of reveal as Elliot's jail time.

• Love 1

I don't know, I'm having a hard time believing that Whiterose and her machine is actually real and not just a product of Elliot's fractured mind. The whole scene with the power plant was just...odd. So, I'm to presume that a working nuclear power plant has, like, five employees total working in it and a parking lot without any cars in it whatsoever? And here comes Whiterose who somehow captured Qwerty and placed him in a very elaborate fishbowl in an inexplicable room within the plant? I dunno. It all seems too fantastical for a show that seems mostly grounded in reality. 

Terrible episode.  I was looking forward to the time travel/alternate world aspect until I actually saw Esmail write and direct it.

Evidently, nuclear power plants on this show have no security whatsoever as Whiterose was able to get inside and apparently wipe out a swat team in her apartment complex.

The clichced conversation between Elliot and Whiterose was terrible, with a boring exchange and it was hard to take Whiterose serious with that voice. 

I don't know what more they can do for two more hours.  They have been just about trimming the supporting characters now which really isn't helping this show one bit.  Critics can keep kissing this show's ass but I won't.

Neckbeard Tyrell is definitely disturbing.

Kind of hilarious that Elliot and Portia apparently can't shoot a scene together....

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

Tyrell's already tired of Groundhog Day?

Happily ever after heaven is boring? (Don't tell the "Lost" gang!) 

White Rose only ever wanted to be Oprah?

All Elliot needs is love? 

I'm trying to have faith this will still blow my mind next week. 

• Love 1

What was the last thing Whiterose said to Elliot?  You have to decide?  

Interesting that Darlene isn't in the alternate universe.  Angela mentioned that Elliot is an only child.  

I think all of this is in Elliot's head.  I hope the show doesn't go with "Elliot has been in a coma since he was injected with heroin in episode one."

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Cardie said:

What I fear most is a Wizard of Oz conclusion where all the other characters are randos he worked into an elaborate paranoid delusion. 

Yeah, I am still nagged by what other possible motives might be ascribed to that season 1 scene in which Elliot starts to kiss Darlene and is stopped by Darlene exclaiming “WTH!?!? Did you forget I was your sister?!?” 
At the time it just seemed like an easy shorthand to tell the audience that (a) Darlene is Elliot’s sister, and (b) Elliot has fugue states. But it could now also become a setup for an eleventh hour reveal. 
Like maybe Elliot is his dying father or something. 
I hope not that, if anything. 
Typically writers don’t dredge up characters and scenes not mentioned in over a year. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah, I am still nagged by what other possible motives might be ascribed to that season 1 scene in which Elliot starts to kiss Darlene and is stopped by Darlene exclaiming “WTH!?!? Did you forget I was your sister?!?” 
At the time it just seemed like an easy shorthand to tell the audience that (a) Darlene is Elliot’s sister, and (b) Elliot has fugue states. But it could now also become a setup for an eleventh hour reveal. 
Like maybe Elliot is his dying father or something. 
I hope not that, if anything. 
Typically writers don’t dredge up characters and scenes not mentioned in over a year. 

I was thinking of that same scene, too. 

• Love 2

I feel like we've stepped into an episode of Black Mirror (or Caprica - for those that remember that short-lived show).

Listened to a podcast where the speculation is that the people Eliot sees in the 'new world' are those that WR had contact with and 'uploaded' into her machine, and we are seeing a simulation.  The two Eliot's seen at the end are the simulated Eliot and the virus Eliot.

• Useful 1
On 12/17/2019 at 7:11 AM, becauseIsaidso said:

but I'm also rewatching the first three seasons and in either the end of season 2, or beginning of 3 Angela definitely foreshadows the alternate reality scenario...

I'm pretty sure Angela's comments came after Whiterose had fucked with her head to get her to be compliant and help control Elliot for their Phase II plan. That's why the first thing Elliot said to Whiterose when she walked into the room was that her manipulation wouldn't work on him as it did with Angela. Apparently the room was set up with many things from his past, as he points out. 

• Love 2

It was a huge struggle to not turn this off after Mr. Robot started ranting about a 'meltdown'. Shut the fuck up. It's not going to meltdown. I can take a lot of disbelief in a tv show, but this was patently ridiculous. I could have stomached time travel easier.

To be fair, I don't think anyone but Whiterose could take herself out. I have to give them credit for that.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
On 12/16/2019 at 7:53 AM, truthaboutluv said:

But honestly, I came away from this episode further convinced that as speculated by others, real Elliot's been asleep and hoodie wearing Elliot has always been an alter.

I could live with this kind of ending. I'm guessing this alt-world is all in Elliot's head anyway, but I do think up to where Whiterose killed herself that was real.

A long time ago in a universe far far away, I once said that: 

On 2/2/2018 at 7:23 PM, AudienceofOne said:

Time travel is not theoretically possible. But if you could travel between parallel universes, then it is possible that one will exist where certain things didn't happen so it will be the same as time travel. Even universes where time travels at a different rate and so it's e.g. 20 years ago there just because time is different.

But of course, a short time ago in a universe not so far away I also said this:

On 12/18/2019 at 7:41 PM, AudienceofOne said:

Well, you know, time travel is not real. It's against the law of physics.

But the real reason I don't want it be real in this show is because a human desire to turn back time is... human... but we can't actually do it. It's one of the points of the show - that we're ultimately responsible for the consequences of our actions (even the unintended ones). Throwing time travel in sends the message that there are no true consequences for what we do, which I thought was against the show's themes. 

And... despite what happened in this episode I'm going with the latter. This season in particular there's been a strong parallel between Whiterose and Elliot who are both geniuses trying to exert control over an uncontrollable universe and in doing so creating their own reality. At one point in season 3 I think I called this the Man vs God duality: one exerts complete control and the other cedes it and just lives. 

But both Elliot and Whiterose only hurt other people when they live as though it's possible for them to exert that kind of control. So if this whole parallel universe actually turned out to be real then that would suggest we can force the world to be better; we can reshape reality as we wish. There really are no consequences for our actions. And I feel like that's the opposite of what the show's about. 

So... as I head into the final two I hope that this is not hte direction the show is going. Because at the moment that Elliot told us (and Mr Robot) that he loved us and then declared the world 'interesting' right as it was burning down around them - well let's just say it blew my fucking mind...

And then completely unblew it and left me questioning what show I've been watching for the last 5 years.