Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: Tree's a Crowd

Maybe she wanted to get back to that because she wanted to go out on a good note and not be remembered for what the show has become this season!

Interesting that there was no Haley, Joe, Lily, or Alex.

2 minutes ago, Aileen said:

Interesting because we thought it felt much more like old school modern family than most episodes lately.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 5

i thought this was easily the best episode they've done in a long time.

The Brandy character could have been a total disaster. This show loves giving us trashy characters who are horrible human beings (ie, Cam's sister). But even though Brandy was trashy, she was also kind of sweet!

I ended up liking her. And I thought her dialogue was hilarious - "He died doing what he loved...daring the cops to shoot him."

And the Cam/Mitch storyline looked like it was going to be another unbearable "they compete with one another until they mutually sabotage themselves" plot. But they put aside their differences quickly enough. And then the lesbians chose their Lyft driver! I loved it.

• Love 17

The elephant in the room when Mitch and Cam were rattling off all the reasons they assumed the lesbian couple didn't want to use their sperm: is it the red hair, is it the this, is it the that...they really don't want to touch the obvious do they - Cam has the fat gene.  Full stop.  Coming from a family where the fat gene was prevalent that would definitely be a cause for me to look elsewhere for sperm.  

Manny is just too over the top.  I did like that Gloria was toned down a bit (good job Julie Bowen...).  For a storyline that focused on how crowded the Dunphy home currently is, there was a noticeable lack of chaos and people.  I liked the full circle of Phil's magic trick.  And, hopefully, that is the last we see of Dylan's mom and DeeDee's second husband (and I thought he should be bothering his own children rather than Claire and Phil).

• Love 9

I laughed a few times...I havent been able to say that much this season, altho Manny's over-acting almost ruined whatever good feeling I had.

The always "do" hippy dippy characters well and this was no exception.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, seaELare said:

The elephant in the room when Mitch and Cam were rattling off all the reasons they assumed the lesbian couple didn't want to use their sperm: is it the red hair, is it the this, is it the that...they really don't want to touch the obvious do they - Cam has the fat gene.  Full stop.  Coming from a family where the fat gene was prevalent that would definitely be a cause for me to look elsewhere for sperm.  

Can you even imagine what a diva he would have been if someone had brought up his size? I shudder to think. But I guess he would have had a shot if the lesbian in question had been Melissa Etheridge, who chose David Crosby as her kid's sperm donor over Brad Pitt!

Being familiar with Mitch and Cam's gay friends, I have a hard time believing that all of them had been approached by women who wanted them to be sperm donors. I know a gazillion gay men, and I only know of one who was ever in that situation. And he looked a lot more like that rideshare app driver than Mitch or Cam.

• Love 4

I get that conflict is valuable, but one thing I'll never understand is when characters just let things like Dylan's mom moving in happen to them. She's a grown woman, tell her to find somewhere else. The house is already holding Claire, Phil, their three kids, Dylan and the twins, for crying out loud.

I did like how the Luke and Manny thing wasn't magically resolved at the end, and how Jay laid it all out to Luke very bluntly and asked him to leave. That felt pretty real.

• Love 16

Not to assume anything, but are we to infer that Luke having (dramatic pause) "kissed" Manny's ex meant that much more than a peck on the cheek was involved? Being sweet and angelic only goes so far, kiddo. Bad boy, Luke! Bad! Go to your crate.

Great episode. Nothing and no one too over the top, except maybe morose Manny.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm pretty sure I've made this same comment on a different show thread, but has Ed Begley Jr been on every show ever made? I mean, I like him,  but the guy gets around!

If he stays at home he has to spend a lot of time bicycling to create enough energy to toast some bread! It also will never not astound me that John Belushi once told him he was drinking and drugging too much so helped stage an intervention. This has been Ed Begley Jr.’s deep cuts!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

Good on Julie, this is probably the best episode of the season, it really felt like old school Modern Family! It had some parts that I didnt care for (like Manny whining about girls) but it was mostly a fun outing. 

The tree bit with Phil was hilarious, and the ending was actually kind of sweet in a weird way. It had that nice blend of odd, funny, and sweet in that way that the show have a lot. I am really going to miss Phil,  and Ty Burrells commitment to physical comedy, when this show ends, if nothing else. 

It was nice to see Cam and Mitch actually on the same team for a second after they started their usual petty bullshit, and of course the other couple went with the Lyft Driver! I mean, those abs! 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm pretty sure I've made this same comment on a different show thread, but has Ed Begley Jr been on every show ever made? I mean, I like him,  but the guy gets around!

And he plays the same type of sensitive, nebbishy character in almost everything he does! It's as if casting directors are under the impression that he's the only actor in Hollywood who can play that kind of role.

My husband has this irrational aversion to Ed Begley Jr. - there's something about him he just can't stand - and he's constantly wincing because Ed Begley Jr. shows up in everything!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Blakeston said:

My husband has this irrational aversion to Ed Begley Jr. - there's something about him he just can't stand - and he's constantly wincing because Ed Begley Jr. shows up in everything!

Your husband is a very smart man, not irrational at all!  Begley annoys the crap out of me - has all the way back to his St. Elsewhere days.

Claire doesn’t seem the type to have any trouble telling Dylan’s mom that the time to move on has long since passed.

• Love 3
On 12/5/2019 at 9:09 AM, chitowngirl said:

Interesting that there was no Haley, Joe, Lily, or Alex.

Or Dylan...and it was his freakin' mother that was visiting!

On 12/5/2019 at 10:56 AM, seaELare said:

For me, the real terror might be my child inheriting their insane tendency to obsess over every little thing in life and make any situation 200% more difficult than it needs to be.

On a side note, I think I might have paid actual money to see a scene in which Jay initially approached Brandy at the car wash and asked her to come to his house and meet Manny...

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Or Dylan...and it was his freakin' mother that was visiting!

For me, the real terror might be my child inheriting their insane tendency to obsess over every little thing in life and make any situation 200% more difficult than it needs to be.

On a side note, I think I might have paid actual money to see a scene in which Jay initially approached Brandy at the car wash and asked her to come to his house and meet Manny...

What is up with that? One character would make one appearance and they would not be seen for four or five episodes. Is it really that expensive to have the whole cast there? This seemed to be an ongoing thing with this show.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

What is up with that? One character would make one appearance and they would not be seen for four or five episodes. Is it really that expensive to have the whole cast there? This seemed to be an ongoing thing with this show.

Well, the older adults are getting $500,000 each per episode, and even smaller regular characters get a nice chunk of change (Lily/Aubrey Anderson-Emmons gets $70,000 Per episode) so I imagine it adds up quick.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/modern-family-season-11-renewal-in-sight-adult-cast-deals-ed-oneill-julie-bowen-sofia-vergara-1202517066/amp/#aoh=15759102843358&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

• Love 1
On 3/7/2020 at 3:02 AM, Gulftastic said:

I think I might have missed an episode because I thought Luke was dating the older woman. Did they end?

Yes. They broke up when she found out Luke had pulled a Halloween prank at her house that indirectly led to her divorce from her husband.

• Love 2