Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Prophet & Loss

When Miles gets the name of Cara's stepfather, Paul, they learn that he is potentially involved with an insider trading scheme. But when Cara asks Miles to ignore his urge to intervene, he is forced to choose between her wishes or the God Account.

Airing Sunday, November 24, 2019.

Well..that was depressing...I like that Rakesh got his mojo back. I wonder why the sister was quiet but the "traditionalist" guy was too "young" to be that way. It's the Episcopal Church. They tend to have a little more progressive stance than say The Assemblies of God.

I want my fun, light, philosophical show back...

• Love 4

Using Miles' uncle as an example was not a good move, Cara.  He was guilty of stealing from the church, after all.  Just like your step dad (which she barely knows, right?) was guilty of insider trading.  Your mad at Miles for not giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he was guilty.  You can't be mad at Miles for him being guilty.  It's not like he could go back in time and keep this guy from breaking the law.

They don't think this is a happy ending that's "guaranteed" by the god account, but how do they know it wouldn't have been worse if they did nothing?  That reporter guy was already on to the insider trading, already knew about that meeting, do they really think no one would have found out?  

• Love 10

God Friended me is starting to screw up because I watch this show to feel good not feel like crap. Miles did the right thing and Cara shouldn't blaming him because her stepdad is a criminal. He was in an impossible spot and it sucks that doing the right thing can cost him.

I love Miles and Cara together and I love the evolution of their relationship and that they finally said they're I love you's but sometimes it seems like she doesn't believes in them as much as Miles does and there is something very selfish about her. I'm still looking at her funny over what she did to Miles and Rakesh last season.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, mommalib said:

sometimes it seems like she doesn't believes in them as much as Miles does and there is something very selfish about her. I'm still looking at her funny over what she did to Miles and Rakesh last season.

Edited just now by mommalib

I have felt the same way about her all season. Something about her this season is rubbing me the wrong way. In fact, right now I am hoping this means she is gone and Miles finds someone who will live him as much as he lives her, totally unlike Cara. 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Using Miles' uncle as an example was not a good move, Cara.  He was guilty of stealing from the church, after all.  Just like your step dad (which she barely knows, right?) was guilty of insider trading.  Your mad at Miles for not giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he was guilty.  You can't be mad at Miles for him being guilty.  It's not like he could go back in time and keep this guy from breaking the law.

They don't think this is a happy ending that's "guaranteed" by the god account, but how do they know it wouldn't have been worse if they did nothing?  That reporter guy was already on to the insider trading, already knew about that meeting, do they really think no one would have found out?  

Right. It's the same situation. Miles didn't want to believe his uncle was guilty; he was. Cara didn't want to believe Tom Everett Scott was guilty; he was. I of course feel bad for Cara and his family, but ... he did it. 

1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

Well..that was depressing...I like that Rakesh got his mojo back. I wonder why the sister was quiet but the "traditionalist" guy was too "young" to be that way. It's the Episcopal Church. They tend to have a little more progressive stance than say The Assemblies of God.

I want my fun, light, philosophical show back...

Much more. I was raised in an Episcopal church. The Cathedral of St. John the Divine (I've attended services at St. John the Divine. It's a beautiful church), which is the seat of the diocese of New York of the Episcopal Church, is an official partner of NYC Pride Month. The Episcopal church has gay bishops and I believe they've opened up their ordination rules to include the trans community as well. The notion that Ali's sexuality would be an issue for the Manhattan Episcopal Church in 2019 is just not accurate; said church sent out messages of support to the LGBTQIA+ community this year. It's sloppy writing.

When Cara told Paul "If you say it's legal, it's legal," I thought " ... That's not the way the law works, though."

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 9

That Thing They Did!

Tom Everett Scott is a huge favorite of mine.  Shades!  He was a great choice to play this Stepdad role.

The show sure got morality backwards in this one.  Cara is proving she is not right for Miles - just as Gideon's wife last week similarly proved.  Lies of omission were rampant and she endorsed several of them.  She demanded such!  Miles owed HER an apology?  Riiiiiight.

I did enjoy that the gang got a heaping dose of the medicine they've been prescribing all these weeks.  What is beyond understanding is how little faith they all displayed.  If they were not granted a solution they wanted, they were ready to walk.  Arthur's invoking the story of Abraham to Miles was excellent.  Either proceed in an unimaginable, if not insane, faith, or it's over.  Abraham chose faith.   Miles kinda, sorta did.  Cara rejects it. 

Weak sauce for the show to go with the "ism" route on Fr. Elias.  The man came at the Bishop with entirely legit financial concerns (I've been involved in a situation where pie-in-the-sky spending nearly ruined everything.)  The man did not object to any specific initiative, did he?  So, show me (us) the money!

I've outlined several times why Arthur is not an appropriate choice for that chair.   I would have little confidence in him were I in that Diocese.  The family stuff?  Entirely irrelevant.  Elias is wrong to use that as part of his animus towards Arthur.  He has also demonstrated he is not fit to be a Priest.  C'mon show.  You went there.  Let's just see you play it out.  How can Arthur allow him to remain in the Diocese?  Where's the investigation into Fr. Elias' demonstrably evil faith stance?  @Empress1 is absolutely right about the inclusivity of that Church in NYC, too.  Cheap shot taken by TPTB.

Trish got yet ANOTHER slap in the face when Arthur would not confide in her the awareness that he faced a schism due to their living arrangement.  A lie of omission.  Yet AGAIN. he refused her any ability to support him.  He demonstrated that he much prefers her ignorant.  Of COURSE she goes all mob wife and marches out to support him and to explain to him how SHE has been at fault all this time.  Classic victim, she is.  Sad.  Truly.

Last thing about Arthur:  His handling of Fr. Elias' dismissal from the council was turrible.  It's fine that he removed him.  But, to do it with hopes of creating maximum embarrassment was a leadership move beneath a true man of the cloth.  YMMV.  

The one thing the show (Cara) got very right is that there really is a choice for all of them to make:  The GA, or the highway.   This truth is not going away any time soon.  It is one heckuva check TPTB have written.

• Love 5

It's actually pretty rare that they get friend requests that are involved in serious crimes. I don't see how this could have had a happy ending in any case - which is off-brand for the God Account. The resolution did seem like the best case scenario, even if Cara's stepfather had to serve some time. I just wish that they had been more episodes with Cara's family before they tried this storyline. We just meet her stepfather then he's leaving in the same episode.

This seemed mainly to give Miles and Cara a reason to fight - which again, is off-brand. And contradictory, since it was the whole God Account thing that brought them together.

Sad Rakesh is sad. But he has a new app idea? Since it's going to be about finding 'soul mates', I assume the first testers will be Miles and Cara?

I have no idea if the church they are trying to portray works like that in reality; but I'm glad that Trish talked some sense into Arthur and he stood up for himeself and took care of business.

Instead of clothes this time, I mostly noticed the lovely locations they shot at in this episode. The park where Miles and Arthur had their chess game and conversation, and the park with Miles, Cara, and her stepdad stood out to me. Although, I did really like Cara's outfit with the velvet blazer!

Edited by Trini
spelling!
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Much more. I was raised in an Episcopal church. The Cathedral of St. John the Divine (I've attended services at St. John the Divine. It's a beautiful church), which is the seat of the diocese of New York of the Episcopal Church, is an official partner of NYC Pride Month. The Episcopal church has gay bishops and I believe they've opened up their ordination rules to include the trans community as well. The notion that Ali's sexuality would be an issue for the Manhattan Episcopal Church in 2019 is just not accurate; said church sent out messages of support to the LGBTQIA+ community this year. It's sloppy writing.

Thank you, I was raised an Episcopalian in NYC too and I'm usually the one posting to this effect in this thread.  We had our first openly gay bishop years ago already.  I'm tired of this show misrepresenting the church and have seen a torrent of social media posts from others making similar complaints, so the show should know better by now.  At this point it's not just sloppy writing, it's starting to feel insulting.  For a show to go out of its way to only film in actual Episcopal churches you would think they would take better care with how they represent it.  If they wanted to write the show like this they should have chosen a different denomination where that kind of conflict would be more plausible.

Interesting that Susan pointed out that there was no "happy ending".  It seems like more often than not there's at least one thread that hasn't been resolved or worked out completely in every episode this season.  Speaking of that, for the first time, this episode didn't end with Miles' podcast to tie everything together either.  They're messing with our feel-good show and we want it back.  We want last season's Cara back too.  Things seemed to change around the time of the trip to Paris.  Perhaps the GA code got messed up at that time along with the Juliet code and it's not working properly?  Maybe the GA is trying to teach everyone a lesson?  Who knows.  I would like to believe that that there's a reason for the way things have changed.  Maybe the show is leading up to providing a reason why the GA has created a "disturbance in the force" this season.  If the show is making characters like Susan point out the discrepancy, perhaps in the future we will find out the reason why.

• Love 5

I really don't get why in the world they had Arthur quit being a priest only for him to end up in the same job he lost last season. How does that make any sense from a narrative standpoint? It just seems so...sloppy. "We thought we had a better idea, but I guess we didn't." So weird.

Ali's scenes always come off as, "Shit, we're paying you, so I guess we need to work you into the episode somehow." Like, now she and Rakesh are such good pals that they have scenes alone together? 

I also loved her bit about heartbreak, since the show, of course, dropped her live-in girlfriend FAST and yet she never talks about it. 

"My husband committed serious crimes, Miles, and all he got was a reduced jail sentence. Why didn't we get a happy ending?" 

Lady, come the fuck on. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I really don't get why in the world they had Arthur quit being a priest only for him to end up in the same job he lost last season. How does that make any sense from a narrative standpoint? It just seems so...sloppy. "We thought we had a better idea, but I guess we didn't." So weird.

It is sloppy. But I went and looked at the producers' comments about that from last season, and maybe it was always the plan to have him come back to the ministry. However, I think that Arthur immediately getting the Bishop title doesn't make sense. And they could have done a better story with him while he was out.

2 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Ali's scenes always come off as, "Shit, we're paying you, so I guess we need to work you into the episode somehow." Like, now she and Rakesh are such good pals that they have scenes alone together?

Yeah, they really need to figure out something to do with her. I do think she works well now, as a sounding board for various characters, but they could do more.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, cameron said:

What's the story behind all those medallion necklaces that Trish wears?

I think they're portraying her as an aging hippy-dippy-trippy type.

19 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Last thing about Arthur:  His handling of Fr. Elias' dismissal from the council was turrible.  It's fine that he removed him.  But, to do it with hopes of creating maximum embarrassment was a leadership move beneath a true man of the cloth.  YMMV.  

Oh yeah, I agree, and it was another sophomoric attempt at drama by the show.  Never mind how unrealistic it would be for a bishop to fire someone in front of everyone like that.  That's not how those meetings work, and thank goodness.  Again with making Episcopalians look bad.  It's like this show is being written by 15 year olds.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I think Cara was mad because she wanted Miles to let her stepfather get away with it. Which really isn't fair.  And likely would not have worked.

9 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

"My husband committed serious crimes, Miles, and all he got was a reduced jail sentence. Why didn't we get a happy ending?" 

Lady, come the fuck on. 

When she said that I was thinking that it seemed more like karma than anything else. This is a woman who abandoned her first husband and their child. I certainly don't think she should be miserable for the rest of her life because of that, but maybe she needs to see what it is like to have something bad happen for awhile.

I was actually really surprised he was going to jail though. I thought they'd have him testify against the other guy in exchange for probation or something, and that would be the "happy ending." But I guess that wouldn't cause enough tension for Miles/Cara.

• Love 5

Where are our happy ending indeed Susan. What a depressing episode, in a season that has a surprisingly high number of bittersweet endings at the best. Really, its weird to see the God Account dealing with an actual serious crime by the Friend Suggestion being done where there really is no happy ending possible. It almost seems like the GA is trying to test Miles and Cara, or even just fucking with them, giving them an impossible to fix Friend Request that will totally mess Cara's new happy family life just to see how Miles responds, which seems out of character for the GA. 

I can get why Cara is so hurt, but its not like its Miles fault that her step-dad was engaging in Insider Trading. I mean...he totally did it! The phrase "its technically legal" is never a good way to start a conversation! What was Miles supposed to do? She knows what happens when Miles gets a Friend Request and ignores it, and he had no idea that getting her step-dad would lead to him having engaged in white collar crime. I dont want this drama for Cara and Miles, what made this show such a breath of fresh air was that everyone, despite having different beliefs and personalities, were basically good people and conflicts were handled with a lot of understanding and maturity. Now it just seems like they're just trying to come up with drama for the sake of drama. 

Speaking of contrived drama, hi Mr. Random Church Jerk! So your not actually playing politics, your just an asshole. I cant say I know much about the New York Episcopal church, but I always thought that it was one of the more liberal/inclusive christian churches, while in this show it seems to be filled to the brim with homophobic assholes. Is it because the show just thought "Christian church? Must be homophobic!" without doing any research, or is this just the show creating some rather lazy and contrived drama? There is tons to do with Arthur becoming the Bishop of New York, so why bother with this drama? Again, its weird to have actual villains on this show, when in the first season, with the exception of some very minor characters, most people were good people that sometimes just needed to be reminded of their goodness or to look at something from someone elses point of view, it rarely had an actual bad guy type show up. 

Its not that I insist on a happy endings every time, but this is my feel good show, I want to feel good from time to time! At least we still got some pretty Cara outfits, and they always do find wonderful and unique places to film in New York!

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Interesting that Susan pointed out that there was no "happy ending".  It seems like more often than not there's at least one thread that hasn't been resolved or worked out completely in every episode this season.  Speaking of that, for the first time, this episode didn't end with Miles' podcast to tie everything together either.  They're messing with our feel-good show and we want it back.  We want last season's Cara back too.  Things seemed to change around the time of the trip to Paris.  Perhaps the GA code got messed up at that time along with the Juliet code and it's not working properly?  Maybe the GA is trying to teach everyone a lesson?  Who knows.  

Yes to all of this. After watching the previews last week, I thought I would read the forum before deciding whether or not to watch. Thank you everyone for helping convince me to delete it off my DVR unwatched.

I don't watch tv shows to be frustrated and disappointed, which I am more often than ever this season. This is no longer a feel-good show. All the writers ever seem to do is find a way to create conflict with the long term characters. A little of that is okay, but I didn't tune in to watch a soap opera with lies, omissions and people making ridiculous, impulsive decisions. If a show needs a villain, then create a villain. Don't turn characters we've spent an entire season getting to know and like into people that we can't stand.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

... I dont want this drama for Cara and Miles, what made this show such a breath of fresh air was that everyone, despite having different beliefs and personalities, were basically good people and conflicts were handled with a lot of understanding and maturity. Now it just seems like they're just trying to come up with drama for the sake of drama. ...

... Its not that I insist on a happy endings every time, but this is my feel good show, I want to feel good from time to time! ...

Look, I get it. It's a new season, they want to shake up the formula, introduce new things, etc. to keep things fresh and interesting; but not like this! Realistic or not, I liked that this show had minimal interpersonal drama.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I don't watch tv shows to be frustrated and disappointed, which I am more often than ever this season. This is no longer a feel-good show. All the writers ever seem to do is find a way to create conflict with the long term characters. A little of that is okay, but I didn't tune in to watch a soap opera with lies, omissions and people making ridiculous, impulsive decisions. If a show needs a villain, then create a villain. Don't turn characters we've spent an entire season getting to know and like into people that we can't stand.

Thank you, I agree and you're right, a villain  or even a new suspect in who's behind the GA would have been a good idea if they wanted to keep things interesting.  At least that way the characters we love would have stayed the same.

My best friend called me after this episode just to gripe about it, and her complaints were the same as ours, so I'm sure a lot of people out there feel the same way.  I hope the show gets a clue and gets back on track before it loses too much of its audience.

• Love 3

I get why Cara would be upset. But her stepfather was guilty. What did she want? Him to get away scot free? They do know what happens when they ignore the friend suggestion. Cara blaming Miles was terrible. It was her stepfather who committed the crime. Also, considering she was originally following the other man to do a story on insider trading if her magazine/newspaper knew it was a good chance the FBI and SCC were already investigating. Instead of going to jail for a long time he's only going to jail for a couple years at most and is able get most of his clients's money back. 

Arthur mentioned Abraham sacrificing Isaac! When I heard what Gideon said. That's the first thing that came to my mind too. That it was a test. Maybe GA account just wants Miles to have faith or something. Since Miles still admits to not believing even though he follows the GA account and helps people. I don't buy the accountant wanting to split him and Cara up either given its what brought them together and all the work to bring Cara back from Paris.  Why go to all that effort if it wanted to split them up. 

They really should have picked a different church if they wanted to have all these church problems then Episcopal church. There's no shortage of other Christian churches they could use that what have fit better the problems they want the church to have. 

For once I did feel sorry for Trish when Arthur didn't confide in her about the church. I wish that plot would just go away. I did like her wanting to get back to playing music and deciding to become more involved in the church. 

I really wish they'd give Ali more to do. She's such a cool character.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4

I know we all lose our heads when it comes to family... But cara  was just all kinds of wrong... She seems always ready to bail on miles... Ur step daddy( who she only knows because miles helped her get back with her mom)  was guilty.. This coulda been a lot worse.. I don't know why everyone seems so confused... She was ready to let all this go.. Smh bring back joy I think I'm done with cara 

• Love 4
On 11/25/2019 at 6:57 AM, Brian Cronin said:

Lady, come the fuck on. 

I agree.  And it's an interesting point for me on faith and belief in God.  IMHO, God isn't a genie who grants wishes.  Sometimes we go through hard things and learn from them.  And often, we have to face up to what we've done and take responsibility.  The GA did make sure that Paul had people around him supporting him.  He could have just vanished as he had planned.

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, lh25 said:

I agree.  And it's an interesting point for me on faith and belief in God.  IMHO, God isn't a genie who grants wishes.  Sometimes we go through hard things and learn from them.  And often, we have to face up to what we've done and take responsibility.  The GA did make sure that Paul had people around him supporting him.  He could have just vanished as he had planned.

Yeah Susan was dripping with privilege on that.. This woman abandons a family.. Gets her shit together finds a good man has another family.. Thanks to the GA and Miles gets reunited with her daughter builds a relationship with her... Her husband does some fuckery and is about to either end up in jail for a long time or just dissapear.. Instead the GA and miles pop in again and save him from himself.. And in the process saves her new daughter from going thru what her she visited upon her first daughter.. And hes gonna be back in a year.. And she's got the nerve of asking basically "where's mine"??? ... I think personally I woulda been OK with folks being in their feelings if miles woulda defended himself... So hopefully maybe next week cara remembers what he just did for her family.. And also for her.. Because if he didn't step in.. The stepdad would got caught and the other reporter woulda know cara tried to kill the story.. Seeing as she's living with the other person involved... Smh

• Love 6
11 hours ago, lh25 said:

That's a very good point, and it makes me think that perhaps the GA is evolving to encourage a more realistic, mature expectation of God. Choices are made and consequences must be dealt with, not erased by magic.  In the first season the situations the GA dealt with were simple and win-win endings were possible, but now the GA is handling more complicated situations where given a person's previous choices there is no magic way to solve all their problems without seriously compromising free will and personal responsibility.  And those are two things I believe God does everything to preserve even if it means  we must make sacrifices and learn hard lessons.

• Love 4

I didn't enjoy this episode at all. Or rather I might have had it been done differently. 

This show seemed to be telling us that Paul going to jail was all Miles' fault for being the anonymous tip. Paul didn't get any blame here and that's some b.s. He also lied when originally caught about the insider trading and then his solution was to abandon his family. I didn't have any sympathy for him. Even her mom blamed Miles.

I understand why Cara is upset with Miles but again the blame lies with Paul and his crimes. I agree that Miles shouldn't have been the anonymous tip and worked with Cara longer but the level of anger at him just pisses me off. 

I don't see how there could be a happy ending even if Miles hadn't done what he did.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Court said:

don't see how there could be a happy ending even if Miles hadn't done what he did.

There can't be trusted in my mind.. That's why I'm really hoping next episode we have cara or Susan talk to miles and walk back some of that anger and attitude.. Now that some time has passed that would be the best... At bare minimum if they are still gonna be salty then either miles stands up got himself or some other character needs to give them a dose of reality.. Cuz dumping this on his lap ain't it. 

• Love 4

Been busy with family this week, so I finally watched this episode today.  Bleah.  Not fun, no feelgood, no happy.

The writing has been all over the place this season.  I rarely bother checking out writing credits of individual episodes (and this show is no exception), but I always figured that if it's not literally one person writing every episode, then at least there is someone at a higher level overseeing things, okaying the scripts and larger story/character arcs, keeping everything together.  I feel like we're getting a bunch of stories and ideas from a team of writers with some half-decent stories and ideas, but there's no unifying force.  The characters seem to act "out of character" half the time, which if you think about it, makes no sense.  We just thought we knew them, but surprise, they're really like this instead.  And next week, they'll be different again because someone else wrote the next episode.

Did we even know about Paul before this episode?  I honestly don't remember anything about him.  And since I don't remember, I have to figure that they intentionally never mentioned him because they hadn't yet figured out what the situation there was going to be.  We knew Cara was moving back in with Susan and Liv.  I hadn't even considered that Liv's father was even in the picture.  Divorced, separated, dead, I had no idea, because I'd never though about it.  Oh, so he's here, but he's Tom Everett Scott, so he's probably only in this one episode.  Ugh, I hate being right.  He wasn't a character; he was a plot point.  Someone else created to cause drama.

Two stunt casts this week!  Rev. Elias was William Sadler, "Death" from the Bill and Ted movies.  With hair, and somehow less likeable than Death himself.  Probably doesn't even play bass, either.

• Love 4

Everything has been said in relation to Paul. I have nothing to add.  I agree it was unrealistic of Cara and Susan to expect Paul to skate on his crimes. Furthermore, it’s supposed to be okay that he stole  his clients money for Susan in addition  to insider trading? 

Now as to Trish and Arthur, I think they have the most stilted conversations for an engaged couple I’ve ever heard.  It’s as if they are just acquaintances, or possibly in an arranged engagement.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

I think a better plot for Paul would have been to pattern him after Ephraim Karpel, the Wall Street Trader that got caught up in an insider trading case and ended up hanging himself after being asked by the Feds. to wear a wire to entrap bigger fish in the scandal.  The story made news in the financial world in 2011.  The GA could have intervened to save Paul from a similar suicide.  Many people felt that Ephraim's guilt was very minor or even questionable in that scandal and that his death was a tragedy.  He was a decent person and well liked by many.  The very sad thing is that Ephraim was a friend of mine when we were kids at a time when I was being bullied and really needed a friend.  I hadn't been in touch with him in over 40 years at that point but suddenly decided to look him up on Facebook and discovered that he had killed himself only 10 days before....Then I found the New York Times article on him.  Very sad.  This is the kind of situation we want the GA to handle.

• Useful 3

I continue to watch this show, despite the ridiculousness, crazy coincidences, glaring plot-holes and basic writing - because, as others have noted, it's a cute show. It isn't trying to be high-brow, it doesn't try and make me think. I just watch it, smile, roll my eyes a little and then put it away until the next week.

But...this incredibly dumb "love drama" crap being endlessly injected is pissing me off. Cara can't tell Miles she loves him because of some lame excuse about her mother? Then they are together and she "loves him" for 2 seconds before he makes her mad by "annihilating her family" by making known that her stepfather is a criminal? Are these writers seriously trying to make me feel bad for a guy involved in insider trading because it was "for his family and clients" that he did it? Really? And then Rakesh and Jaya break up because of some ridiculousness with her family insisting they get married? Arthur and Trish break up because he wants to fulfill his lifelong dream of being bishop and she can't accept that because he told her their marriage would be all about "them"? UGH. STOP IT.

Give us something other than "drama" by twisted love stories with stupid, basic plot devices that I wrote in 5th grade English class. As you can see, we are way behind in watching the show because we're getting sick of this stupidity. I keep saying I'm going to delete it from the DVR and this episode almost pushed me over the edge. I'll give it one more...   

Edited by Lunula
  • Love 3