Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: Outer All, Gallant, Terra-Core, Mrs. Goldfarb's Unreal Deli

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

A cutting-edge stem cell technology to save pets from diseases; a healthier alternative to a traditional style deli meat; a multi-functional exercise device; an innovation in outdoor furniture; Anne Wojcicki, CEO of 23andMe, guest judges.

I didn't recall that Mark was a vegetarian. Deli un-meats. Probably a good seller.

I looked at pictures online of the patio furniture. Only 2 colors & it wasn't clear to me what they were talking about with the "studio" or whatever they called it. I'm supposed to use my patio to let strangers come by & see what the furniture looks like? Nope

I usually groan when there's a guest shark, but I actually liked Anne Wojcicki, probably more than any of the others I've seen.  I liked the workout product (I've already forgotten the name of it). I'd probably have done the stem cell thing when my dog was neutered, if it'd been around then. What about all the rescues who are spayed or neutered at shelters/rescue orgs? 

• Useful 1

Oh man! I'm so bugged of this now. They should just rename the show to The Mark and Lori Show.

We want new sharks!!!

( P.S: Notice how they were focusing the camera on Mark everytime the stem cell guy was talking about the scientific research of his product, to see if he would give some kind of negative reaction to his claims )

Also, sorry for the mini rant. I'll make more constructive posts in the future. 🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, rhys said:

I didn't recall that Mark was a vegetarian.

Didn't he buy into that Fat Sandwich deal, the one that had 6,000 toppings like wings and fries and onion rings and cheese, so much stuff you couldn't even close the sandwich?

15 hours ago, rhys said:

it wasn't clear to me what they were talking about with the "studio" or whatever they called it. I'm supposed to use my patio to let strangers come by & see what the furniture looks like? Nope

But you'd get $25-$50 for every family you let into your back yard to try out the (white!) furniture you bought!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1

What's to prevent one of the people who views the furniture in your back yard from keeping an eye on your place, and come back for your furniture some afternoon?     

Yes, Mark invested in that Fat sandwich thing, so he may be a vegetarian, but not low cal.    I wonder if the fat sandwich company would be a good partner for the deli food from last night.  

I really wondered if Mark was going to give back Fred the puppy last night.     The stem cells should be profitable, if they get their costs under control, and charge more for the starter kit.  

The exercise device looked interesting, but I wonder how many casual exercisers would use it?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
21 hours ago, rhys said:

I didn't recall that Mark was a vegetarian. Deli un-meats. Probably a good seller.

I looked at pictures online of the patio furniture. Only 2 colors & it wasn't clear to me what they were talking about with the "studio" or whatever they called it. I'm supposed to use my patio to let strangers come by & see what the furniture looks like? Nope

Mark mentioned a few weeks ago he recently went vegetarian. It was the episode with the fake fried chicken product. I remember because Mark had tried the chicken before the couple told people it wasn't really chicken. So he must have been willing to still try a bite of chicken, or he was tipped off.

It stood out to me because I am a vegetarian and was thinking how I would be a terrible Shark because I'd never be able to try the meat products they use. 

I liked the guest shark from 23 and Me, she seemed very smart and wasn't obnoxious about promoting her product. She did say the words "Silicon Valley" about 5 times in an hour, but that's not as bad as some of them. And she's a perfect fit for that dog stem cell kit.

• Love 3

They sell plant-based deli meat at the big box grocery store near me already. So unless her product tastes vastly superior, the fuhgeddaboutit woman has already been beaten to the punch. 

• Love 1

The stuff currently in grocery stores is not good. The key to this pitch to me was several of the sharks tasted the sandwich and said it was good. So it sounds like maybe she has actually nailed this. I've had seitan reubens and soy-based reubens and they were all extremely disappointing and tasted weird and very fake and salty AF but not like corned beef. If she's claiming to be the Impossible/Beyond of vegan corned beef/pastrami and is actually that good she should hope to get bought out by one of the big players soon and make a bundle.

• Love 2
On 11/17/2019 at 10:42 PM, rhys said:

I thought they were saying it was kind of like Pampered Chef or whatever where you're the host and you hold "parties" and people come and check out the furniture.  I didn't like it.  My friends would stop wanting to come over if every time they did I was essentially trying to sell them thousands of dollars worth of lawn furniture.  Otherwise, how would this work?  Put an add in Craigslist?  I think this is a stupid idea. 

23 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I usually groan when there's a guest shark, but I actually liked Anne Wojcicki, probably more than any of the others I've seen.  I liked the workout product (I've already forgotten the name of it). I'd probably have done the stem cell thing when my dog was neutered, if it'd been around then. What about all the rescues who are spayed or neutered at shelters/rescue orgs? 

That's what I wanted to know.  We are dealing with our 10-year old yellow lab going through cancer treatment.  I know that stemcell doesn't help cancer, but her mortality is in the forefront of my mind at all times.  We rescued her when she was three and we rescued another one as a puppy, but she was already spayed.  This product is unfortunately only good for people who get their pets through breeders, which I would never do.  😞

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I thought they were saying it was kind of like Pampered Chef or whatever where you're the host and you hold "parties" and people come and check out the furniture.  I didn't like it.  My friends would stop wanting to come over if every time they did I was essentially trying to sell them thousands of dollars worth of lawn furniture.  Otherwise, how would this work?  Put an add in Craigslist?  I think this is a stupid idea.  

That’s not how it sounded to me. It sounded like if someone wants to see the furniture, they have to make an appointment to go to a home that already has it so that the potential buyer can check it out, and the homeowner gets paid a fee for the inconvenience (I think they said $20-50 per appointment). Presumably this would all be booked through the company website.  I think it sounds really dumb, and is a great way for thieves to case a house, but I also think AirBnB is dangerous and rife with scams, so what do I know?

Edited by marny
Typo
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, marny said:

That’s not how it sounded to me. It sounded like if someone wants to see the furniture, they have to make an appointment to go to a home that already has it so that the potential buyer can check it out, and the homeowner gets paid a fee for the inconvenience (I think they said $20-50 per appointment). Presumably this would all be booked through the company website.  I think it sounds really dumb, and is a great way for thieves to case a house, but I also think AirBnB is dangerous and rife with scams, so what do I know?

I'm sure you're right. It's just such an odd concept that I probably changed it in my head into something that made sense to me. But, it still makes no real sense.  I also think it sounds really dumb.

• Love 1

I want just those outdoor cushions ... I already have the "furniture".  LOVE the covers. I have furniture on my deck that I don't often use since we store the cushions in the garage (it isn't a set that is conducive to using covers).  They will need to offer different colors and designs. Can probably license the design. 

Exercise step-thingy looks like it could be huge. Yes, exercise stuff can be faddish, but if you can make your millions, go ahead! I liked how you can lift it up and use it as a weight. That guy was one of the best presenters ever.

I would try the fake meat. Love a good reuben or pastrami sandwich.

• Love 2

All I could think about with the stem cell guy was the recent podcast "Bad Batch", which was all about a prominent stem cell company using shady practices and some of the stem cells not even being stem cells. It immediately made me give him the side eye.

I really loved the guest shark. She knew her shit and pressed them on things - I LOVED how quickly she shut down Mark during the stem cell convo and didn't let him talk over everything.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

What's to prevent one of the people who views the furniture in your back yard won't keep an eye out, and come back for your furniture some afternoon?     

Yes, Mark invested in that Fat sandwich thing, so he may be a vegetarian, but not low cal.    I wonder if the fat sandwich company would be a good partner for the deli food from last night.  

I really wondered if Mark was going to give back Fred the puppy last night.     The stem cells should be profitable, if they get their costs under control, and charge more for the starter kit.  

The exercise device looked interesting, but I wonder how many casual exercisers would use it?  

I have a Bosu but I'd def be interested in that!

3 hours ago, Whimsy said:

That's what I wanted to know.  We are dealing with our 10-year old yellow lab going through cancer treatment.  I know that stemcell doesn't help cancer, but her mortality is in the forefront of my mind at all times.  We rescued her when she was three and we rescued another one as a puppy, but she was already spayed.  This product is unfortunately only good for people who get their pets through breeders, which I would never do.  

😞

Same, I only ever rescue my dogs, and I feel like the Gallant company is basically promoting the purchase of dogs through breeders (so you have the opportunity to bank their stem cells) than through our overflowing shelters They should also offer harvesting the stem cells from bone marrow like they do in humans, while the dog is sedated/anesthetized for some other reason, like tooth cleaning.

Mark doesn't seem to understand science, and then gets confused and angry (and calls it "skeptical") whenever something like the stem cell banking comes up. Like, no, Mark, just because we can't inject everyone who comes into the hospital with magical stem cells to fix every boo-boo didn't mean it's bogus. I get the feeling he's 20 minutes on Facebook away from becoming an anti-vaxxer.

Those couch dudes don't seem to realize that their first world problem of damp patio furniture can be solved with a ten dollar tarp. I'm also not thrilled with the idea of bringing internet strangers into my home to show them my primo patio furniture; I draw the line at getting into their cars.

I'm definitely going to try that faux-pastrami when I see it. Everything else out there is weirdly gummy and squeaky, and I miss having a good deli sandwich for lunch. I also appreciate that it's low fat, compared to the Beyond/Impossible burgers that are more of a treat than a daily staple.

I don't see how that Terra Core thing is much different from those Bosu balls that are half medicine ball, half plank of plastic, and half the price. It's just more rectangular and has handles. Not worth the $200 imo, though I can see lots of Crossfit gyms and rolled ankles in their future.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, jaigurudeva said:

Those couch dudes don't seem to realize that their first world problem of damp patio furniture can be solved with a ten dollar tarp.

LOL. What? You don't need to buy a $2,500 patio sofa, all you need is a tarp from Walmart? I'll bet you even sharpen your own knives.

JK of course, the tarp did make me laugh. I just flip my outdoor chairs over when I'm done sitting. Of course, I don't own a fancy outdoor sofa. If I did, I'd buy a tarp!

I'm trying to understand why vegans have to have fake-meat products that must look, smell, feel and taste like meat. Just eat a veggie sandwich, that's what I do. I don't even feel right about eating a fake cow or chicken.

• Love 2

When they said the price was $2500 for the couch and Lori said, “that’s not bad”, I almost spit out my drink. My indoor furniture doesn’t even cost that much. 

I wish the nutritional profile was available on the unreal deli website.  I’ve got to wonder how much sodium is in this stuff. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm trying to understand why vegans have to have fake-meat products that must look, smell, feel and taste like meat. Just eat a veggie sandwich, that's what I do. I don't even feel right about eating a fake cow or chicken.

Agreed. I'm basically a vegetarian. However, if I do get in the mood for a pastrami sandwich (seems to happen whenever I go to Las Vegas), then I eat a real pastrami sandwich. I wouldn't try to seek out something that is supposed to be fake pastrami. I do eat Moringstar Farms burgers just because I like them; not because I think they taste like the real thing and that's what I'm jonesing for.

• Love 1

I'm wondering too if those furniture dudes have ever experienced a good old Midwest rainstorm. Maybe the furniture they are selling is designed only for dew and I didn't catch that.

also I agree with the person above who mentioned the need for more fabric colors. They need orange, yellow, blue & green. Brighten my out doors.

5 hours ago, rhys said:

I'm wondering too if those furniture dudes have ever experienced a good old Midwest rainstorm. Maybe the furniture they are selling is designed only for dew and I didn't catch that.

also I agree with the person above who mentioned the need for more fabric colors. They need orange, yellow, blue & green. Brighten my out doors.

They mentioned that if it was supposed to storm, it's easy to carry since all folded up with the cover down it has a handle thing.... so you still have to pay attention to the weather and make sure you put the cushions away somewhere before a storm... 

At least I thought that's what had said... 

17 hours ago, rhys said:

I would never buy white furniture so that shut the door on that outdoor sofa for me. I didn't look to see what the second color was. But sitting outside with dogs and kids jumping around, that white would last maybe one day. I don't remember if they spoke about how easy to clean it is. But I can see it being the market for people who are not me.

Yes, you would fold up the cushions and carry them inside before a big storm. You know, like you do with regular outdoor furniture! They only mentioned once that the furniture was modular. I thought that was interesting for people who just want a chair, or a two-cushion couch.

• Love 1

Just for fun, I looked for the newest "Neighborhood Showroom" and it's about 1,500 miles from where I live.  I did like the idea that businesses could be showrooms.  I wouldn't want people coming by my home, nor do I like the idea of going to someone's home.

• Love 1

On 11/19/2019 at 11:59 PM, roctavia said:

They mentioned that if it was supposed to storm, it's easy to carry since all folded up with the cover down it has a handle thing.... so you still have to pay attention to the weather and make sure you put the cushions away somewhere before a storm... 

At least I thought that's what had said... 

On 11/19/2019 at 6:33 PM, rhys said:

It sure doesn't look like it would even take a storm, just rain and a little wind.  And are you supposed to roll down the covers every night to protect against getting wet from dew?  Also, that one guy looked really stupid holding his cup of coffee through the whole pitch up until the demonstration....where the cup of coffee wasn't actually needed at all!