Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Wile E. Coyote and a Pretentious Douche

jewel21

I am so happy we saw Bonnie's therapist again. Scenes with him are always hilarious. The part where he didn't say anything when Bonnie didn't have anything to talk about was actually realistic:  psychologists are taught that silence itself is a tool and you the therapist is told not to break the silence until the thing that is in the  client bubbles up and comes to the surface.

Tammy was so good in this episode, her low-key ongoing attraction to Adam is adorable.

Was the barista in the coffee shop Charlotte's gay best friend from Sex and the City?

• Love 6

They put into words what I've thought about Bonnie & Adam: they met at the right times in their lives. They are both broken people, working on healing, and are good for each other NOW. I believe Adam when he says he was a dick back when he was a stuntman. And of course Bonnie was a walking crime spree. 

SO glad they are continuing with Rainn Wilson as the therapist. Those scenes are gold.

And Kristi continues her habit of making an amends/saying she's sorry not because she means it, but because she wants something from the person she's apologizing too. Though it was excellent to see her pounding the crap out of Evil Boss.

I don't actually think Evil Boss cares about Christie, but rather is aware that at a certain point, she could be liable for harassment, and is trying to avoid that. I'm not sure she has a soul, but she has an awareness that she could get in trouble if she's too rough on Christie.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Would a law assistant really be doing secretarial stuff as Christie is doing??

Christie is still a student right and working as an intern?  Most that I have seen do a large array of assignments, including answering the phone, scheduling appointments, doing research, filing, copying, running errands, etc.  But, in the larger firms, like theirs, they usually already have people to do all those duties, like a copy person, errand person, receptionist, etc.  so, the intern just does research, organizes discovery material, observes the attorneys, helps carry files to courthouse, etc. I actually met with clients and gathered information for the attorneys back when I was an intern, but, I couldn't give any advice or even answer legal questions. It may vary by state. 

The way Christie is being treated by her boss, does make me uncomfortable though.  Even with a raise and gym membership, it's not okay to get verbally abused.  It's gone beyond the comic area for me. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

I didn't realize that Bonnie's therapist was Dwight from The Office until this episode! Doy. He just looks so different.

I don't actually think Evil Boss cares about Christie, but rather is aware that at a certain point, she could be liable for harassment, and is trying to avoid that. I'm not sure she has a soul, but she has an awareness that she could get in trouble if she's too rough on Christie.

I think it's more likely she doesn't want to have to train a new intern. It's likely she runs through them like cheap hose. She may not even realize why they keep leaving, as evidenced by her asking Christy "You're not happy?" She's just that damn unaware. Probably nobody has ever spoken up before, they all just quit and left.

• Love 6

Bonnie and Adam's plot was great - very touching with just the right amount of comedy thanks to the therapist and Tammy.

Christie and Veronica (did we hear her name before - until now she was just boss lady to me) on the other hand are not working for me. It's too over the top even for this show. But I liked all of Christie's outfits.

'Do not prod the honey badger!' LOL!

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Christie and Veronica (did we hear her name before - until now she was just boss lady to me) on the other hand are not working for me. It's too over the top even for this show. But I liked all of Christie's outfits.

'Do not prod the honey badger!' LOL!

The new boss is amazing. I love her. It's funny the way she yells at Christy - she is overworked and irate - but she does talk things through with Christy and helps her in her own way. Like last episode she gave her good perspective about a lawyer's part in protecting people who really don't deserve it, and now this.

• Love 3

I think Christie’s story works for me because most of her relationships have been with people who think she is adorable.  There have been a thousand jokes about her being a horrible waitress but she keeps her job for some reason.   The early seasons because she was sleeping with her boss.  I am guess later because she was well liked by the staff.

It is interesting to see her work for someone who just doesn’t like her but doesn’t want to waste time hiring someone else.  Her cute doe eye sobriety actually works against her in this scenario.   I find the story interesting.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

I loved this epi

17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think a part of me feels that I've known Adam for a long time.  He was a regular on As The World Turns many years ago.  I loved that show. His character was a little controversial. 

https://soap-operas.fandom.com/wiki/Josh_Snyder

I've been a fan of William Fichtner since his role on that show. I LOVED his character, pretty much because he was soooo good (and, yes, I loved the pairing with Meg). And incidentally, I first became a fan of Allison Janney when she parlayed a bit part on Guiding Light as a maid to a recurring role.  So every so often during Bonnie/Adam scenes, I think of how funny it is that I'm seeing two actors who I've watched for years that I first fell in love with when they were on soaps.

As for this episode, I LOVED it. It was my favorite episode in forever. (Not that I don't love them all.) But every single note was just absolute perfect. From Bonnie and Adam, to Christy and Veronica (Paget Brewster is fabulous!) was so good. I normally find myself struggling to care during Christy's storylines, but I'm enjoying this stuff--probably because of Brewster.

Just, yeah, fantastic episode, the mix of vulnerability with the perfect dose of humor was so, so good.

Edited by driver18
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, driver18 said:

Just, yeah, fantastic episode, the mix of vulnerability with the perfect dose of humor was so, so good.

Just to  add to this, Christie's delivery when she says "I can't afford a GYM membership" was so sad/bitter, and as you say vulnerable. I had to rewind. It was a little heartbreaking. Good acting in that moment.

• Love 3

A...F...F...I...D...A...V...I...T!!!!!!!!!!

They may have invented a new sport, full contact spelling bee😂😂

PS. This is the first week that I realized Christy's boss was named Veronica. I just called her "yay!, Paget Brewster is back". 

• Love 4

Pretty solid episode.  The success of plenty of relationships is dependent on timing and both parties being in the right place in their lives for it, and they handled that aspect of Bonnie and Adam fairly realistically.  The episode where they first meet over a wrong number and then he initially stands her up because he hasn't told her about the wheelchair, followed by the reveal that he also treated women badly immediately after the accident, was on Nick at Nite sometime in the last day or two.  So the groundwork was already there.  It's also long been implied that barring Alvin, Bonnie hasn't had much in the way of meaningful relationships because she's been such a raging tire fire most of her life.  They've each done a lot of work to get where they are and there was such a raw vulnerability there in each assuming the other had settled.

I like Trevor, and Bonnie immediately reframing his question as of course Adam was only with her because she was his "last call" when that wasn't what he said was a classic case of her only hearing what's relevant to what's in her head.  Her increasingly erratic running voiceover in the kitchen nailed an ADD brain.

Veronica's pretty high strung anyway, but she seemed to be getting to a fundamental truth in telling Christy that she has enough on her plate without also having to handhold an assistant seeking constant validation whose notions about going into law seemed not to have much to do with the reality of it.  In the past Christy has gotten away with a lot by being tiny and big eyed and playing up how charmingly inept she is, but that's not really doing anything for her here.  It certainly didn't help with the coffee guy.

• Love 9
On 11/9/2019 at 9:42 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I think Christie’s story works for me because most of her relationships have been with people who think she is adorable.  There have been a thousand jokes about her being a horrible waitress but she keeps her job for some reason.   The early seasons because she was sleeping with her boss.  I am guess later because she was well liked by the staff.

It is interesting to see her work for someone who just doesn’t like her but doesn’t want to waste time hiring someone else.

That's funny, I have the exact opposite take. I feel like the show is constantly pitting Christy against characters who treat her like garbage.

Chef Rudy and his staff have always been extremely rude to her. So was her boss's wife at the restaurant (Claudia, I think?). And Baxter's wife. And Bonnie herself was pretty awful to Christy in the early seasons, too.

Viktor the landlord was abrasive and always yelling at her. She had a professor in undergrad who was filled with contempt for her. So was her alcoholic law school professor. And then this season there was that customer at Adam's bar who bullied her and called her a bimbo. And now we have Veronica.

And let's not forget Violet, the queen of being mean to Christy.

• Love 2

I don't know about all of you, but I was busting up at the wrap-up bit. While I liked the bit with Christy and Veronica sparring in the ring and Christy venting out her frustrations on her boss, the therapist venting his frustrations stole that entire sequence. 

Edited by Agent 817
  • Love 6

The Reason that the boss keeps treating Christy like a servant, is that Christy puts up with it. 

She is in her 40's, she's not a Millenial. Milennials don't take that crap, they will tell a boss to F--- off and deal with the fallout later. 

• Love 1
On 11/8/2019 at 8:41 AM, chitowngirl said:

NO!!!!  I was in charge of the law interns at a HUGE Medical Center.  Us and the law schools had very strict rules of what we could and couldn't ask them to do.  Hell, I'm am executive legal assistant I would have told the woman to go f**k herself.  I've worked for some doozies too, early in my career, before I had balls or knew any better, I had to walk  5 blocks down Michigan Avenue in search of a Chanel earring (that turns out was sitting on her dresser at home).  

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 9:41 AM, chitowngirl said:

She doesn't have her law degree yet, so she's limited in what she can do, legal assistant wise.  So yeah, I think someone in her position would mostly be doing secretarial stuff.  That's how it would work at my courthouse.

• Love 2