Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: False Positive

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The shocking murder of young boys affects Halstead. Crawford encourages Intelligence to use a new facial recognition software to help identify a suspect, but the plan backfires.

Airdate: 10.30.2019

This show is starting to disgust me. Underhanded crooked ass cops who never have to be held accountable. And a continuation of black lives not mattering in the so called grand scheme of things. See enough of this type a crap in real life. 

• Love 3

I am so damn upset. BLACK lives do not matter on this show.  I hate Jay, I hate Voight, I hate the new chief and I hate Kevin the most because as a Black man he is a part of a corrupt unit that sees Black people especially Black men as vermin. 

• Love 3

So the facial recognition software was created to be racist. Things like this is why there are countless Black men in prison for crimes they didn’t commit. I have no sympathy for Jay and his guilt after the fact. There was no evidence besides a facial recognition tool that thinks all Black people look alike. I’m not a Voight fan, but I agree with the way he handled the situation. “Prophet” was man enough to kill two children and an innocent man. Then he should be man enough to accept his street justice. I’m upset that the show decided that the token Black man on the unit should be in the background for this episode. He should have at least called Jay out on his prejudiced behavior.

Edited by spunky
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I am so damn upset. BLACK lives do not matter on this show.  I hate Jay, I hate Voight, I hate the new chief and I hate Kevin the most because as a Black man he is a part of a corrupt unit that sees Black people especially Black men as vermin. 

Kev my favorite character but i'm starting to look at him a certain type of way.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, spunky said:

So the facial recognition software was created to be racist. Things like this is why there are countless Black men in prison for crimes they didn’t commit. I have no sympathy for Jay and his guilt after the fact. There was no evidence besides a facial recognition tool that thinks all Black people look alike. I’m not a Voight fan, but I agree with the way he handled the situation. “Prophet” was man enough to kill two children and an innocent man. Then he should be man enough to accept his street justice. I’m upset that the show decided that the token Black man on the unit should be in the background for this episode. He should have at least called Jay out on his prejudiced behavior.

Screw Voight because he's a huge part of the problem. Cops like him is everything that's wrong with law enforcement. I really want to see him get his. And of course in an episode like this Kev had to play the background because this show doesn't have enough guts or integrity for it to be any other way.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, mommalib said:

Screw Voight because he's a huge part of the problem. Cops like him is everything that's wrong with law enforcement. I really want to see him get his. And of course in an episode like this Kev had to play the background because this show doesn't have enough guts or integrity for it to be any other way.

Kevin knows what happened with Marcus who was killed by Jay. Jay knew what would happen to him being put in county jail. I used to be a big Jay/Erin fan, not anymore. Erin is better off..

• Love 3

I feel like I've seen the innocent black guy dies and is blamed for a crime anyway to cover up police screwups more than once on the show... This one really annoyed me because Voight said before anything... That they were going about this backwards with selecting a  suspect before evidence or motive...did laugh at how incredulous they were with the data guy... I also liked the super pointing out that they probably shouldn't have put the guy in county with no evidence.... 

Also confused how an episode about the very real issue of racial misidentification in policing didn't have either the black cop or the latina/ afro-latina cop ( cant totally remember how she identified herself in universe)  speak on it.. Or how an innocent black man was jammed up and killed ( his killer is probably going free btw) and his name is mud as a kiddy killer all thanks to inherently racially flawed technology... 

I don't need Kevin and Vanessa to always be the minority teachable moment ppl.. But this time seemed like the right time 

And to make matters worse I guess Ruzek won his fight cuz he don't look like he got hemmed up at all

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, spunky said:

called Jay out on his prejudiced behavior.

Do you mean racially prejudiced or something else... I believe he let his emotions over the kids color his view.. He wanted to get who did it.. And I'm with him there.. Hell i was with him when the facial rec spit out Marcus and they read off the rap sheet and his distance etc... But once you didn't have a lick of evidence or motive.. You don't sweat a suspected kiddy killer in county gen pop... Thats where he lost me,  but based in what I've seen from Jay from the beginning of the show I didn't see any underlying racial animus or bias in his actions.. But that's me

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Do you mean racially prejudiced or something else... I believe he let his emotions over the kids color his view.. He wanted to get who did it.. And I'm with him there.. Hell i was with him when the facial rec spit out Marcus and they read off the rap sheet and his distance etc... But once you didn't have a lick of evidence or motive.. You don't sweat a suspected kiddy killer in county gen pop... Thats where he lost me,  but based in what I've seen from Jay from the beginning of the show I didn't see any underlying racial animus or bias in his actions.. But that's me

I don't think he was racist but he is a part of a system that targets Black men. Marcus told him relentlessly he was innocent to no avail.  Marcus told him why he ran when he saw police coming for him. He knows that as a poor Black man with a drug problem and a record, he was the perfect person that they would blame and they did.. He vocalized this to Jay.  I had tears in my eyes when he was put in the park like trash by Voight and his crew. How can Kevin continue working with them..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

How can Kevin continue working with them..

I've said it and some others have.. This one in Particular really needed Kevin to say something... I'm good with going with the facial rec up to a point.. But then common sense and policing gotta come back.. And based on how they've written Kev.. I find it hard to believe he was just cool with how this went down

• Love 3
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

I feel like I've seen the innocent black guy dies and is blamed for a crime anyway to cover up police screwups more than once on the show... This one really annoyed me because Voight said before anything... That they were going about this backwards with selecting a  suspect before evidence or motive...did laugh at how incredulous they were with the data guy... I also liked the super pointing out that they probably shouldn't have put the guy in county with no evidence.... 

Also confused how an episode about the very real issue of racial misidentification in policing didn't have either the black cop or the latina/ afro-latina cop ( cant totally remember how she identified herself in universe)  speak on it.. Or how an innocent black man was jammed up and killed ( his killer is probably going free btw) and his name is mud as a kiddy killer all thanks to inherently racially flawed technology... 

I don't need Kevin and Vanessa to always be the minority teachable moment ppl.. But this time seemed like the right time 

And to make matters worse I guess Ruzek won his fight cuz he don't look like he got hemmed up at all

Nah I gotta believe Ruzek got his ass kicked. lol

1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

Maybe i'm paranoid but I assume that all white people have some kind of bias or racial animus. Even if they're not blatant about it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

I don't think he was racist but he is a part of a system that targets Black men. Marcus told him relentlessly he was innocent to no avail.  Marcus told him why he ran when he saw police coming for him. He knows that as a poor Black man with a drug problem and a record, he was the perfect person that they would blame and they did.. He vocalized this to Jay.  I had tears in my eyes when he was put in the park like trash by Voight and his crew. How can Kevin continue working with them..

That wasn't Marcus  in the park that was Prophet the guy that actually killed the kids. His gang beat him to death.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Okay that episode put a very bad taste in my mouth and I thought it may have been just me but I’m glad to see I wasn’t alone.

Absolutely disgusted by how it played out and honestly shocked that it ended the way it did. An innocent man was killed over the actions of Jay, Voight, and the Chief and that man doesn’t even get to die with some shred of dignity by having his name cleared, he’s STILL wrongfully blamed for the death of two small children? While the real killer just...dies quietly?? They needed someone to blame to calm the community and just plucked the nearest black man off the street to do it with.  The whole thing was too Central’s Park 5-ish for me.

I understand what they were trying to do with the prejudiced facial recognition software but the episode was completely mishandled. I’ve said before that I’m tired of Kevin being forced to the forefront in race related storylines but THIS episode was the time for an impassioned, scathing monologue.

I’m erasing this episode from memory, just awful.

• Love 4

Lowlight - just about everything. Terrible story, just terrible. One of the worst they have done.

Halstead bugged me...and not because of the storyline, which was just revolting but because of Jesse Lee Soffer's habit of talking fast and clipping his words off to sound tough, shallow I know but it just added to my overall dislike of this episode. He sounds and looks like he's got some intestinal issues.

I am trying to give Rojas time to settle in but I see she's got the Hailey 'my shit doesn't stink' Upton strut about her. Hopefully she loses that quick smart.

Wonder which issue will fall victim to the 'ChicagoPD zero continuity curse' next week - First is was the Burzek hook-up, then Ruzek's lack of battlescars...so I guess we will never hear of Halstead getting an innocent man killed or the facial recognition software that will never see the light of day again.

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, mommalib said:

Kevin would have been perfect for this episode. As you said the writers and producers didn’t have enough integrity to use him. We’ll see him have another issue in February when they throw us a bone for Black History Month. As for Voight, I don’t like him at all, I’m just not upset with him allowing the streets to kill a child killer. Kevin still remains my favorite. Jay and his false righteous indignation can go sit in a corner off of my screen. I’m surprised that Jesse even went along with this story line seeing as he is a Black Lives Matter activist.

7 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I miss spoke. I should have said false righteous indignation. He didn’t care that this man would be killed in general population. And where was Kevin in all of this? I have so much issues with how this episode was written.

I'd enjoy the show more if it was framed like the shield.. Voight woulda been right at home over there.. Cuz him giving prophet to kareme felt like the right thing to do.. I hate that, the impetus for it was covering the flawed facial rec and the fact that an innocent person got killed.. Because a unit that does as much over the shit as intelligence really should just go full bad for the greater good vigilante street justice route instead of this kinda in the middle nonsense they been doing.. They could even keep the players at their current levels.. U got Voight and Ruzek as consistent oversteppers... Atwater and burgess as mainly good with maybe a hint of crossing a line if its really personal... Upton who's pretty by the book And not  scared to speak up when ahe thinks its too far but will at least look the other way... With Halstead as a wannabe goody but really a wild card... Dunno snuff about rojas

• Love 3

What bothered me, in some ways, more than the horrible fate of poor Marcus was the fact that the neighborhood and community most affected by the killing of the two boys, including the boy who survived, is that they will eventually all know the truth.  The men who assisted in killing Prophet must have been told why he was being targeted, so they know Marcus was set up by the police, but they probably don't know about the deal with Voight.  LIkewise, eventually that whole neighborhood will know, even though no one will have told anyone anything, and they will know that the police framed an innocent man.  And that will corrode any ability to trust or work with that neighborhood again.  There are so many future tragedies being spawned by this action.

• Love 3

One of many things that bugged me, and I agree with you all this was a horrible episode...so was it really Prophet in the picture carrying the bag?  Wouldn't Voight have recognized him, and as a gangmember been in their database? Or was that a total red herring?

29 minutes ago, jabRI said:

One of many things that bugged me, and I agree with you all this was a horrible episode...so was it really Prophet in the picture carrying the bag?  Wouldn't Voight have recognized him, and as a gangmember been in their database? Or was that a total red herring?

I wondered About that too.. Cuz Marcus and prophet don't look alike... So I guess just a horrible coincidence that a dude who looked just like Marcus was carrying a green duffle in the vicinity... So much of this episode makes no sense In-universe... Its like a/the writers read an article about facial rec software having flawed results based on race and complexion and built a story around that.. But did it in a way that made the characters do things they don't normally do at all... So yeah this may be one of the worst episodes when you add up the shitty message that got sent.  The bizarre actions or non action of ppl like Voight and Kev and the outcome.. Compounded by the fact that this isn't the first time.. So even if there is a paucity of diverse voices in the writing process... Someone along the way shoulda pumped the brakes and asked what are we doing

8 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I wondered About that too.. Cuz Marcus and prophet don't look alike... So I guess just a horrible coincidence that a dude who looked just like Marcus was carrying a green duffle in the vicinity... So much of this episode makes no sense In-universe... Its like a/the writers read an article about facial rec software having flawed results based on race and complexion and built a story around that.. But did it in a way that made the characters do things they don't normally do at all... So yeah this may be one of the worst episodes when you add up the shitty message that got sent.  The bizarre actions or non action of ppl like Voight and Kev and the outcome.. Compounded by the fact that this isn't the first time.. So even if there is a paucity of diverse voices in the writing process... Someone along the way shoulda pumped the brakes and asked what are we doing

Well I saw an interview with Eid recently (who btw has the personality of a wet sponge) and he basically said he doesn't really care if people hate the storylines.....which I found both arrogant and odd & after seeing this fustercluck of an episode & the season so far it is glaringly obvious that he just DGAF.

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

(sigh) well I guess as long as the ratings hold steady. But it's still a stupid thing to say.

I mean a part of me is glad that as a showrunner he's steadfast with his vision.. And won't kowtow to loud.. But sometimes small sections of fandom... On the other hand.. His vision is as my old nanny use to say basura 

Yeah I don’t want a show runner caving to fan pressure. That’s not his job and he’s never going to make everyone happy. But some actual thought about whether the storylines are GOOD would be nice...

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Yeah I don’t want a show runner caving to fan pressure. That’s not his job and he’s never going to make everyone happy. But some actual thought about whether the storylines are GOOD would be nice...

The personal stories should be the cherry on top and they do need some development but it's not a soap opera as some fans demand constantly. The vast majority of fans don't want that but you need to connect to the characters so they need some personal development. It's not even a team, it's a bunch of people who happen to work together.

The case related storylines needs to carry the show and at the moment they are seriously lacking. Earlier seasons had the whole team working cases and not everything was 'personal' and sent the characters spiralling into stupidity only for Voight to bail them out and then completely ignored the following week. They had cases where they just defeated the crook of the week, that was when this show was at it's best.

Remember when Burgess got shot? She at least had some scars for the next episode & was put on desk duty. Antonio limped upstairs and they gave him a walking frame after he got shot. Hell even Voight had his arm in a sling for a bit.

FF to now, Atwater gets his leg drilled..nothing...Upton gets beat up...not a scratch...Ruzek's in a fight..never mentioned again. Some follow through would be nice, they can be the personal touches this show lacks and maybe that might make the crappy storylines/case of the week more palatable.

• Love 5

Like everyone else here, disgusted at what happened here.  But I guess if they are trying to show stereotypically how the Chicago PD runs, this it.  They know they got an innocent black man killed, yet the new commander gets up and announces that they got the guy responsible and that the new facial recognition software was the reason.  So what happens the next time they need to ID somebody?  Is it going to be inaccurate again?

I'm confused why Marcus West didn't say "Look at the picture!  Does that look like me?"  Even I didn't think the two looked similar.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

Like everyone else here, disgusted at what happened here.  But I guess if they are trying to show stereotypically how the Chicago PD runs, this it.  They know they got an innocent black man killed, yet the new commander gets up and announces that they got the guy responsible and that the new facial recognition software was the reason.  So what happens the next time they need to ID somebody?  Is it going to be inaccurate again?

I'm confused why Marcus West didn't say "Look at the picture!  Does that look like me?"  Even I didn't think the two looked similar.

I think the commander said it still had some kinks ( seriously downplaying the mess up... And it would be a year or so... Which I believe is what the tech guy said it needed 

2 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I think the commander said it still had some kinks ( seriously downplaying the mess up... And it would be a year or so... Which I believe is what the tech guy said it needed 

I'll have to rewatch, but during his podium address, I think he touted this new facial recognition and how great it was.  In private, he admitted that there were kinks.  But did he really announce that to the public?  I'd be surprised.

So there is facial recognition software out there that doesn't really work on dark skinned black people.  Just perfect.

39 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

I'll have to rewatch, but during his podium address, I think he touted this new facial recognition and how great it was.  In private, he admitted that there were kinks.  But did he really announce that to the public?  I'd be surprised.

So there is facial recognition software out there that doesn't really work on dark skinned black people.  Just perfect.

Black folks in general.. Darker skin.. Worse results... I'll have to go back and listen.. I think he presented that the software helped catch the "killer" but then made some comment to the effect of its a ways off from being everywhere and that timeframe is the same one the tech guy gave... 

Catching up late; like most, I was flabbergasted. If at least someone on the squad had protested about the additional injustice to the scapegoat's loved ones and Voight had gone ahead with it anyway, it would still be morally dark on the character's part, but as it played out it felt like the narrative saying 'Well, the deed's already done, might as well make the best of it'.

Plus, this could be said about any crime show where they contract out to street justice, but what happens the next time there's a crime in the gang leader's territory and they're trying to convince him to let the cops handle it? How much water is that argument going to hold?

• Love 1

I'm really not sure why I'm watching this show anymore.  This is the first season I'm watching in "real time," vs. the way I've watched other seasons, as reruns. I mostly watch network procedural shows as reruns, and catch up that way. I stopped watching any NCIS shows after Ziva left, hardly watched CSI after Grissom left, no SVU after Elliott left, watch most L&O original now, even including seasons that had Diane Wiest, Fred Thompson, Elisabeth Rohm, Dennis Farina and others as leads. It just started to get repetitious, and I didn't particularly like those characters and/or actors, and the stories got a little more soap opera-ish. (Always loved when Ed Green was still in it, mostly for his character,)

Chicago PD seems to have jumped the shark, even last season, but this season especially. Ridiculous stories and character arcs, and I just don't like the story lines or chemistry among the squad. I can't believe how many cast changes this show has had. You could take a bet on who's gonna get knocked off at the end of any season, or transferred, or never heard from again (I'm looking at you, Erin Lindsay). And Seasons 5, 6, and 7 each had a weird "bad guy" out to get Voight and the squad. These villains don't appeal to me, and I hate the general story arc, especially since it's the same each time. (I think the earlier seasons also had a "baddie" to hiss at, now that I think of it.)

Anyway, I may give it one more episode, and then will go back to reruns only.

• Love 1

Three major characters are gone and I only miss one of them, Alvin.  I never liked Erin or Antonio so I'm glad they're gone.   I also liked Burgess' old partner, Roman but he wasn't a major character.  My biggest problem with this season is that I absolutely cannot stand Rojas and hope they don't make her a regular.   Right now she's only under contract for a recurring role. 

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2
On 11/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, AnnA said:

Three major characters are gone and I only miss one of them, Alvin.  I never liked Erin or Antonio so I'm glad they're gone.   I also liked Burgess' old partner, Roman but he wasn't a major character.  My biggest problem with this season is that I absolutely cannot stand Rojas and hope they don't make her a regular.   Right now she's only under contract for a recurring role. 

I loved Nadia and she was so intriguing. I would have loved to have seen her become a cop but she was sacrificed to give Erin angst. She had Bunny as a mother, she had enough angst to last a lifetime.. 

• Love 3

Dick Wolf outdid himself this episode.

He not happy trying to make cops look bad or crooked in every episode, now they are responsible for an innocent black guy getting killed in prison and then covering it up.

Dick, just change the show’s title to, “I hate cops, here my latest fake depiction of how much you should hate them too.”

On 10/30/2019 at 10:13 PM, spunky said:

I’m going to take a wild guess and assume innocent black men are not in prison right now because of an imaginary Dick Wolf racially blind facial recognition system. FYI, facial recognition was not created to be racist. Don’t get your propaganda from cop hating producers.

On 11/9/2019 at 1:20 AM, SG11 said:

I’m going to take a wild guess and assume innocent black men are not in prison right now because of an imaginary Dick Wolf racially blind facial recognition system. FYI, facial recognition was not created to be racist. Don’t get your propaganda from cop hating producers.

I’m saying for the purposes of this show the facial recognition was designed to be racist. One of my closest friends and two of my graduate school professors are cops, who can tell you I’m both pro cop and pro black. I take issue with anyone who thinks they’re above the law be it a civilian or a cop.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:20 AM, SG11 said:

In reality the "facial recognition system" is called "fitting the description", a reason to detain any black male give or take 20 years of age within a several mile radius of the location of a reported crime.  Technology being designed with white people in mind and thus leaving black people at a disadvantage is recorded fact.  The entire point of it's depiction here is that software doesn't need to be designed by moustache twirling racist programmers in order to be racist, since not accounting for the fact that a significant portion of the population has skin that is darker than beige is itself racism in design.  The fiction here lies in the fancy facial recognition technology being advanced enough to be used in field situations to ID specific individuals.  But if such a hypothetical system existed then it's guaranteed that a bad cop like Voight/Lt. Jon Burge would have used it to pin crimes on black men.

16 hours ago, spunky said:

I’m saying for the purposes of this show the facial recognition was designed to be racist. One of my closest friends and two of my graduate school professors are cops, who can tell you I’m both pro cop and pro black. I take issue with anyone who thinks they’re above the law be it a civilian or a cop.

I would not disagree with taking issue with such an attitude.

Im also agreeing that the “for the purposes of the show” FR was designed to be racist... that was my point, the show again unnecessarily paints LE in a ridiculous light. FR is a developing science and it does in fact have some challenges regarding race and civil liberties, balanced with public safety. But the hocus pocus + overt racism portrayed in the episode was outrageous and disingenuous.

I don’t  think we actually disagree much, here.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, SG11 said:

I would not disagree with taking issue with such an attitude.

Im also agreeing that the “for the purposes of the show” FR was designed to be racist... that was my point, the show again unnecessarily paints LE in a ridiculous light. FR is a developing science and it does in fact have some challenges regarding race and civil liberties, balanced with public safety. But the hocus pocus + overt racism portrayed in the episode was outrageous and disingenuous.

I don’t  think we actually disagree much, here.

No we don’t 

30 minutes ago, spunky said:

No we don’t 

I didn't get the feeling that the FR in the show was designed racist... It had racial flaws... But the tech who explained its genesis.. Basically said.. A bunch of white folks made it and they didn't think about us darker folks... Hell Voight thought it was iffy.. But went along becuz enuff of the circumstantial evidence pointed at the guy as well

• Love 1
7 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I didn't get the feeling that the FR in the show was designed racist... It had racial flaws... But the tech who explained its genesis.. Basically said.. A bunch of white folks made it and they didn't think about us darker folks... Hell Voight thought it was iffy.. But went along becuz enuff of the circumstantial evidence pointed at the guy as well

I see what you’re saying.

I find it strange that they chose to re-air this episode today considering the news at the moment. Completely and totally tone deaf.

But then I read all the comments on twitter & IG about how wonderful it is & how much Jay has such a big heart, oh & poor Jay & #Upsteadforever...🤮

I get it.

So much of the outrage over George Floyd's horrific murder is pure slactivism. Yes retweet the hashtag & then go gush over a TV show that shows a black man dying & the cops continuing to cover their own asses. This could have been a good episode had there been consequences for CPD, had they come out at the end & said the FR was biased & they wouldn't be using it again & that Marcus didn't murder those two boys, at least give his family that peace....but no we can't have that can we.........Jay feeling bad is not a consequence.

Poor Jay indeed, he felt guilty but he did nothing about it. He may as well just tweeted a hashtag.

• Love 1

I usually save the OneChicago shows for summer binge season, so I just now caught up with this episode.  I could not believe what I was watching.  This was despicable and revolting in every way.  It wasn't merely the "ethical gray area to get bad guys off the street" shtick this show usually employs.  This was straight up racism and corruption.  We're supposed to like these characters now?  Are they still the protagonists of this series??  I believe this episode would have been pulled post-George Floyd but apparently they reran it last month.  Unbelievable.  I don't know that I'll ever look at any of these characters the same ever again.  Why am I watching this show now???

• Love 3
On 7/14/2020 at 2:17 PM, Genius said:

I usually save the OneChicago shows for summer binge season, so I just now caught up with this episode.  I could not believe what I was watching.  This was despicable and revolting in every way.  It wasn't merely the "ethical gray area to get bad guys off the street" shtick this show usually employs.  This was straight up racism and corruption.  We're supposed to like these characters now?  Are they still the protagonists of this series??  I believe this episode would have been pulled post-George Floyd but apparently they reran it last month.  Unbelievable.  I don't know that I'll ever look at any of these characters the same ever again.  Why am I watching this show now???

I agree!! They would have shit canned this episode in a heartbeat!!  I was disgusted with it on the original air date, even before current stuff!

• Love 2

Very true.

This show can not come back.

Obviously they can not show the recent looting and violence that destroyed much of the Miracle Mile.

They have not where to go with their plot lines and their depiction of this police unit can not go forward

Dick Wolf  has painted himself into a corner.