Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Trick-or-Treat

Aulty

Amy amps up the store's Halloween spirit to impress the new district manager, even setting up a haunted house that terrifies Glenn. Jonah collects the last of the union cards. Cheyenne and Mateo wonder if any Cloud 9 employees are capable of murder.

Original Air Date: October 31st 2019

Edited by Aulty

Oh, good! I thought they weren't going to do a Halloween episode this year (I thought if would've been last night.) Their Halloween shows have been up the with The Simpsons and Roseanne, and my favorite Dina quote -- the one that made me like the show -- was in one. "Oooooh, peer pressure from people I don't respect."

• LOL 5

I'm calling it now, Maya is going to be vicious, much worse than the last district manager. It's always the higher-ups that initially act buddy-buddy that end up stabbing you in the back. And I think she definitely saw the union cards, she just didn't react immediately because she's figuring out a way to retaliate without breaking any laws.

And the fact that Maya now knows about Amy and Jonah, she could use that against Amy as well. Superior-subordinate relationships are a no-no at most companies.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 10

I love that Dina recycles her "sexy cop" costume every year.  

Not sure why they have Jonah & Amy as a couple still.  It is not a good relationship.  In fact, I wish sitcoms would stop the workplace romance trope.  It can work well sometimes, (Cheers, The Office), but other times its just writers checking off the boxes.

Garret can be a real asshole.  I can appreciate his subtle, dark, dry humor most of the time, but I didn't like him locking Glen in the haunted house.  Up until locking him in, it was funny; refusing to get the phone, playing mind games, paying the creepy kid to freak out Glen.  But locking Glen in was just too far.  That is sadistic IMO. I thought Garret's character would be a tad more sensitive to others' feelings after killing all of Dina's cherished birds. 

I hope we don't have to see more of Kelly.  Although, she and Jonah do have more chemistry than he & Amy do.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

I love that Dina recycles her "sexy cop" costume every year.  

Not sure why they have Jonah & Amy as a couple still.  It is not a good relationship.  In fact, I wish sitcoms would stop the workplace romance trope.  It can work well sometimes, (Cheers, The Office), but other times its just writers checking off the boxes.

Garret can be a real asshole.  I can appreciate his subtle, dark, dry humor most of the time, but I didn't like him locking Glen in the haunted house.  Up until locking him in, it was funny; refusing to get the phone, playing mind games, paying the creepy kid to freak out Glen.  But locking Glen in was just too far.  That is sadistic IMO. I thought Garret's character would be a tad more sensitive to others' feelings after killing all of Dina's cherished birds. 

I hope we don't have to see more of Kelly.  Although, she and Jonah do have more chemistry than he & Amy do.

In concept, I don’t mind them as a couple but since they got together they bicker more than they get along. Seems like they’ve taken the Ross/Rachel vs the Ben/Leslie route with these two. I don’t want them to split up simply because then it will be more annoying. Just have them be happy and get along. It’s really not that hard. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

My favorite scene was the cashier wearing the Freddy Krueger fingers trying to pick up the carton of eggs.

Edward Scissorhands?

I was going from memory, since I had already erased the DVR. My first thought was Edward Scissorhands, but I thought Edward Scissorhands fingers were longer, skinnier, and different sizes and of course had a few scissors thrown in there. The thing I remembered most was that all the blades looked the same size (what I was focused on, since that was where all the comedy magic was happening). I looked at the scene again online (through analysis) and it was indeed an Edward Scissorhands costume, but the blades were the part of it that threw me and stuck hardest in my mind, all the blades looked short, thick and the same size, hence, Freddy Krueger. In the picture below, it shows that there seems to be a little mixture of both characters in the knives/scissors. On closer inspection, the blades look a little Wolveriney (modified Wolverine claws). That scene seemed way darker on my TV than it did when I watched it online.

Superstore.jpg.affc825b041f9024a4cbad876d205bea.jpg

I couldn't help but notice the height difference between Dina and Amy and Jonah and Kelly when they were standing next to each other. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I'm calling it now, Maya is going to be vicious, much worse than the last district manager. It's always the higher-ups that initially act buddy-buddy that end up stabbing you in the back. And I think she definitely saw the union cards, she just didn't react immediately because she's figuring out a way to retaliate without breaking any laws.

And the fact that Maya now knows about Amy and Jonah, she could use that against Amy as well. Superior-subordinate relationships are a no-no at most companies.

I kind of hope so because Justina Machado is too good to use in just a one-off role. (I don't like her hair straightened. I love her curly hair.)

I actually wondered about the subordinate/superior thing because it is (and should be) a no-no; you really can't objectively manage (or grade, etc.) someone you're in a romantic relationship with. I came to the show late; has it ever come up?

1 hour ago, Trillium said:

Just have them be happy and get along. It’s really not that hard. 

I think show runners assume there needs to be conflict in a relationship in order to keep things interesting. I don't agree. I lose interest in will they/won't they VERY quickly.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

I fell asleep before the end, but did they ever say who Mateo was dressed as? My guess was Fred from Scooby Doo, but it seems so unlikely.

He was indeed Fred, but it was not stated.

• Love 7

But locking Glen in was just too far.  That is sadistic IMO. I thought Garret's character would be a tad more sensitive to others' feelings after killing all of Dina's cherished birds. 

Agreed! Garrett was a total dick in this episode. I thought maybe I missed something where Glenn did something to him that made him want to get even, but Glenn is such a giant child I can't imagine anything he'd ever do to deliberately hurt anyone. Especially now that he's no longer in a position of authority. So basically Garrett was just being a really mean asshole locking Glenn in the haunted house knowing he'd be terrified. Wow. Way to make me hate a character, show!

Cheyenne and Mateo thinking Dina might be a serial killer was pretty funny, especially when Dina was trying to get Cheyenne into the security camera room and Cheyenne was trying to get out of it. I loved Marcus's dragon costume too. So happy he got his Sprite!

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Harvey said:

He was indeed Fred, but it was not stated.

Ohh. I racked my brain the entire episode trying to figure it out. I thought he was Richie Rich. 

And Amy looked gorgeous as RBG. Not everyone can rock a bun and round glasses, but they were perfect on her. Although after Sandra suggested it, I really wanted her to change into a Leather Sandy outfit. 

I like the new district manager. Doesn't seem cartoonish. But I'm sure the show will find create some crazy quirk about her.   She never said anything to Amy about the union cards. I wonder why. 

So Marcus and Mateo are both living with his aunt? I wonder why they never speak to each other at work. 

6 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Yes, he was mean. Although I liked the kid he hired who did a pretty good English accent during his bit. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I thought maybe I missed something where Glenn did something to him that made him want to get even, but Glenn is such a giant child I can't imagine anything he'd ever do to deliberately hurt anyone.

Because Glenn had to change his diet for health reasons and couldn't eat candy, he snatched Garrett's candy out of his hands and threw it away. You'll notice at the end Garrett pulls out a bag of M&Ms and starts munching contendedly.

• Love 12
36 minutes ago, topanga said:

And Amy looked gorgeous as RBG. Not everyone can rock a bun and round glasses, but they were perfect on her.

I didn't notice the RBG necklace right away so at first I thought she was supposed to be Judge Judy who has recently been wearing her hair in an unflattering-to-her low bun. Once I realized that Amy was RBG, it made me wonder if Judy is trying to look like her too. I am almost certain, though, that RBG never spit out "YOU FOOL!" at a litigant, no matter how much is was warranted.

Also, it makes me laugh that Jonah dressed like Woody and then was okay that it was interpreted as "toxic masculinity."

• LOL 3

Awesome seeing Justina Machado here, and I am sure we will see her again. Her whole nice buddy buddy thing seems like she is just waiting for the kill and will be even worst than the last boss. She definitely saw those union cards, and is waiting to build something against them. 

I love how Dina has the one Halloween costume and she wears it every year. Cheyenne looked awesome as Little Red Riding Hood (she always looks so cute on Halloween!) but Marcus was the clear winner, even swimming in pee. Glad he got his Sprite, he clearly deserved it!

Also nice seeing Kelly again, even if it led to even MORE Joanh/Amy drama. I wish they could just be a couple and be happy more without either drama or no interaction at all. 

I cracked up at Edward Scissorhands (maybe?) at check out.

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Also, it makes me laugh that Jonah dressed like Woody and then was okay that it was interpreted as "toxic masculinity."

From the very first episode, Jonah has loved to prove how intelligent and woke he is. And even though he didn't think of the toxic masculinity angle, he quickly jumped on it. 

It doesn't bother me, but it makes Jonah as quirky and off-beat as everyone else who works in Cloud 9, even if he considers himself better than the rest of the staff. I do think he and Amy are smarter than some of the others, but they're just as weird sometimes. 

• Love 10

Because Glenn had to change his diet for health reasons and couldn't eat candy, he snatched Garrett's candy out of his hands and threw it away. You'll notice at the end Garrett pulls out a bag of M&Ms and starts munching contendedly.

Ah! Thanks, I forgot about that. It was still a dick move but yeah, I sort of get it now. At least Garrett had a reason.

Also . . . it was a bag of Brach's candy at the end, I noticed. His hand was partially covering the label but the logo is so recognizable. Which was unusual because for a big box Walmart-type store they must have to go to extremes to use generic brands and labels yet they used actual Sprite in this episode. 

• Love 3

Ah, the return of Dina's sexy cop costume.  Wasn't the Halloween episode in which she first wore it the same one where she and Garrett hooked up?  Or am I getting different seasons confused?  Slutty cop would've just had two badges for a top, according to Big Bang Theory.

I liked Marcus' dragon - I don't blame him for being upset at not winning the non-existent contest.

Ah, the return of Dina's sexy cop costume.  Wasn't the Halloween episode in which she first wore it the same one where she and Garrett hooked up?

I can't remember if it was that episode but it was for sure the first time he noticed her . . . that way. Which, obviously. It's really a job-inappropriate costume too, which is what makes it so funny I guess. The absurd thing about it is in that first Halloween episode Dina didn't want to wear a costume, everyone pressured her to, so she grabbed what appeared to be a generic packaged costume off a pegboard and went back and changed into it. Like that's a costume Cloud 9 sells (Hmm - on second thought, maybe it's meant for a child and that's why she's fairly bursting out of it.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Amy continues to be the worst. Kelly is obviously over Jonah and making them pretend to be together again AND being self-absorbed enough to get mad that their dates aren't as long/cool as Kelly and Jonah's were feels so unnecessarily mean and inconsiderate of Kelly. Sure, he left her for you and you live together now, but let's get mad about gelato.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

. Kelly is obviously over Jonah and making them pretend to be together again AND being self-absorbed enough to get mad that their dates aren't as long/cool as Kelly and Jonah's were feels so unnecessarily mean and inconsiderate of Kelly. Sure, he left her for you and you live together now, but let's get mad about gelato.

Exactly.  He left Kelly for Amy and Amy knows this so the jealousy thing was annoying. This episode actually made me think Jonah and Kelly were more compatible.  In fact, my favorite running joke was the fact that when Jonah and Kelly decided to switch out of their cowboy/cowgirl "couples" costume that they ended up with a Danny/Sandy couples costume look.

• Love 5

LOVED Amy's RBG costume. It was perfect but also felt like the kind of thing she could assemble or purchase, not something super fancy because they had a TV show budget.

Lots of laughs this episode. When this show is good, it's great. 

I am very curious where they're going with this new DM. I prefer this show as episodic but now they have me interested in the union plotline.

• Love 4