Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: A Pineapple and the Bosom of Male Friendship

Bort
Message added by Bort

As always, in the episode topics, there is no mentioning of events from The Big Bang Theory that have not "happened" yet.

• Start Topic

After being released from the mental hospital, Dr. Sturgis unexpectedly breaks up with Meemaw

Airdate: Thursday, October 24, 2019

As always, in the episode topics, there is no mentioning of events from The Big Bang Theory that have not "happened" yet.

I don't know what Missy's and George's problem with Dr. Sturgis is.  He's a little quirky, but he's not demanding at all.

Kind of funny that the younger kids asked more appropriate questions than the older kid.  Were you locked up? The Shining?  Come on, Georgie.

But, why wasn't I allowed to visit you and how did you know you were better were reasonable questions.

The guy that Connie went out on a date with made the right choice.  

I don't think Sheldon ever did get to talk about science with Dr. Sturgis.  Maybe when he wakes up if his hangover isn't too bad:)

• Love 7
Just now, Browncoat said:

Poor Memaw -- to get rejected twice two days!  I noticed, though, that John didn't suggest Dr. Linkletter (or whatever his name is). 

I think his issues with him goes beyond Connie, and since he actually, sincerely wants Connie to be happy, he wouldn't suggest him as a potential suitor.

• Love 7

I'm sad Dr. Sturgis broke up with Bonnie and that he feels he's damaged goods. I did like that he was open with everyone and encouraged them, particularly the children, to ask him questions. I hope he and Bonnie will get back together eventually. 

I normally like Missy, but she annoyed me this episode with her dislike of Dr. Sturgis. It made me want to bean her in the head with an apple, heh. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't know what Missy's and George's problem with Dr. Sturgis is.  He's a little quirky, but he's not demanding at all.

Kind of funny that the younger kids asked more appropriate questions than the older kid.  Were you locked up? The Shining?  Come on, Georgie.

But, why wasn't I allowed to visit you and how did you know you were better were reasonable questions.

Actually I didn't think Georgie's question was that bad. Poor phrased for sure but I took as him trying to understand how the hospital worked.

• Love 8

Wow...Sheldon was actually, dare I say it, sweet in this episode.  Even stranger, it was still in character for this usually off-putting (for me) boy!  I have to give props to this show with how well they've handled the issue of mental health.  Other shows have tried, but this is the only one I feel succeeded.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Wow...Sheldon was actually, dare I say it, sweet in this episode.  Even stranger, it was still in character for this usually off-putting (for me) boy!  I have to give props to this show with how well they've handled the issue of mental health.  Other shows have tried, but this is the only one I feel succeeded.

It's not a coincidence that this plot arc came up during the media blitz to address mental health issues. Kudos for having Dr. Sturgis encourage questions and giving reassuring answers. This type of PSA, embedded in the show, is where the best sitcoms shine.

Now, about those endless actual commercials.... "But wait! There's more!" Indeed.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Kudos for having Dr. Sturgis encourage questions and giving reassuring answers. This type of PSA, embedded in the show, is where the best sitcoms shine.

I remember way back in the day, they did the same kind of thing in The Facts of Life.  Not for mental illness.  But Blair's cousin had cerebral palsy and Tootie asked her a question and Blair told her not to, and Geri (the cousin) said questions don't hurt, ignorance hurts.  There's a difference between being nosy and honestly wanting to understand something.  Adults should be able to tell the difference and ask accordingly, and kids are almost always sincere with their questions about stuff like this.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Poor Memaw -- to get rejected twice two days!  I noticed, though, that John didn't suggest Dr. Linkletter (or whatever his name is). 

Why do I have the feeling that when Meemaw inevitably goes out with Dr. Linkletter (or whatever his name is) that THAT will make Dr. Sturgis so jealous he'll want to get back with her?  Don't answer that question, it's probably because I'm old and have seen all these sitcom tropes ten million times before....

• Love 6

Dr. Linkletter is a pompous egotistical ass. Meemaw would never go out with him.

This was a sad, sweet, sometimes funny eppy. Richard Kind makes everything better. And I'm glad his character was more than just a joke.

Missy may be one of those people who just gets very uncomfortable around mental illness. Mary seemed to be struggling to deal with Sturgis's presence too. I notice Georgie had no problem with him. In a way, Georgie's simplicity makes him very accepting of everyone:  "okay, you're nuts, what's it like?"

I hope Wallace Shawn returns from time to time. He's just so good.

• Love 20
21 minutes ago, Quark said:

I really liked how happy Sheldon was to see Dr Sturgis and even shook his hand.

No mittens!  What an honor!

Great to see Wallace Shawn again.  Hopefully Dr. Sturgis and Meemaw don't stay broken up.  Her prospects don't look so good, so maybe they won't.

It wasn't the right move to split up, but I did think it was kind of sweet that Dr. Sturgis didn't want Meemaw to have to deal with another episode.

• Love 8

We already knew that breakup is coming, but well, Sturgis was right and genuine. And I think we’ll see him in the next episode, as I saw Wallace Shawn’s name on the cast.

Bar scenes were great, especially the moment when Sturgis put his head to George’s bosom 😄 

It was a cute episode but now we have to wait for 2 weeks, as there’ll be a rerun next week. 😔

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, rmontro said:

It wasn't the right move to split up, but I did think it was kind of sweet that Dr. Sturgis didn't want Meemaw to have to deal with another episode.

I actually think it was probably the right move to split up.  Sturgis knows his own issues, his own triggers, and what all that means.  Meemaw can say that they pick up where they left off, but she has only seen one facet of Strugis's struggles.  It sounded like, from what Sturgis said, he knows what he needs to do and that may include not having a romantic relationship.

I will say I wasn't too fond of Meemaw going out with the Richard Kind character just to spite Sturgis.  It's a shitty thing to do to something and I'm glad that Kind's character called it on her, very nicely.  I was very proud of him when he said, "Wow!  I do have a shred of dignity!"

• Love 14
20 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I actually think it was probably the right move to split up.  Sturgis knows his own issues, his own triggers, and what all that means.  Meemaw can say that they pick up where they left off, but she has only seen one facet of Strugis's struggles.  It sounded like, from what Sturgis said, he knows what he needs to do and that may include not having a romantic relationship.

I will say I wasn't too fond of Meemaw going out with the Richard Kind character just to spite Sturgis.  It's a shitty thing to do to something and I'm glad that Kind's character called it on her, very nicely.  I was very proud of him when he said, "Wow!  I do have a shred of dignity!"

I agree (concur!) with everything you posted. It's great to see sitcom television that treats grown-ups like grown ups. Sure Connie's reaction was out of spite, but she didn't do it in a demeaning way, she was trying to protect herself. And Richard Kind's response was perfect.

George continues to develop as a great character. I enjoyed his early part of the show "Am I a kid or grown-up in this scenario?" and the later scene at the bar. Heck, even at dinner, "Can Sheldon come to the bar?"

Sheldon's question landed with a lot of weight too. And I loved how Mary responded.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

George continues to develop as a great character. I enjoyed his early part of the show "Am I a kid or grown-up in this scenario?" and the later scene at the bar. Heck, even at dinner, "Can Sheldon come to the bar?"

And even though Sturgis was embarrassing the hell outta him at his own watering hole, George didn't distance himself from him, or try to hustle him out of there or make any jokes at his expense. He just looked pained and took it. That alone was more sensitivity and depth than I might've expected from him. (Of course, John made up for a lot of it when he bought drinks for the bar!)

• Love 12
17 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I normally like Missy, but she annoyed me this episode with her dislike of Dr. Sturgis.

I don't think she dislikes him, but to Missy, he's MeeMaw's boyfriend and someone who isn't of great interest to her.  She's not attached to him like Sheldon is.  That's just how I see it.  😉 

I can understand everyone's 'walking on egg shells' mentality when Dr. Sturgis came to dinner.  It would've been easier if he had been in the hospital following a surgery or some other illness, but with his issues, they didn't want to embarrass him.  Not everybody would've been as open to a Q&A like Dr. Sturgis was!  It's good that he addressed it and let them know that it was okay to talk about it.   I say this having 2 members on Mr. Chat's side of the family with similar issues, so I know about the stigma that's still out there with this subject.  If someone is genuinely concerned for said loved ones, then we'll talk about it, but if it's out of being nosy, then we close ranks around them.  I think that Mary didn't want the family to appear to be insensitive or too inquisitive of John's illness.  It was best to let him broach the subject. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

don't think she dislikes him, but to Missy, he's MeeMaw's boyfriend and someone who isn't of great interest to her.  She's not attached to him like Sheldon is.  That's just how I see it. 

To me it went further than disinterest.  She asked how they could see less of him, and whined that he was still there when he was on the couch.  If they had just let it go with wanting to eat in front of the TV, I'd give you that he wasn't interested in him.

I mean he got her that crock monster not that long ago.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

To me it went further than disinterest.  She asked how they could see less of him, and whined that he was still there when he was on the couch.

I guess without MeeMaw next to him, she doesn't get why he's still there.   Missy could use a lesson in manners!

I'm okay if Connie & John don't get back together.  I kind of like her being single and playing the field.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

From what I understand, people with mental health issues are often told to work on themselves before they get wrapped up in any romantic entanglements.  That isn't the explanation he gave though, he just wanted to spare Connie having to deal with any more episodes.  And while I find that understandable, it appears he ended up hurting her anyway.

Definitely liked the way Dr. Sturgis wanted to be open and upfront about his illness.  Surprising he is that mature, considering he seems to have led a rather stilted social life.  He didn't mention his illness previously, before his breakdown, but he said it had been so long since he had an episode that he figured he was past it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Missy is at least as rude as Sheldon. It's interesting that Georgie isn't.

Georgie was an only child for his first several years.  Likely he got a good amount of attention, teaching, discipline, etc. from his parents before they were overwhelmed with the twins.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Gummo said:

Dr. Linkletter is a pompous egotistical ass. Meemaw would never go out with him.

She might just to make Sturgis jealous.  Which would probably work.  I would never think she'd date him for real.  Just like she didn't date the Richard Kind character "for real" either.

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think there's two factors here : on the show the reason is probably because Georgie is old enough to have learned that just because you think it doesn't mean you have to say it.  In terms of a sitcom I suspect though the real reason is because kids can get away with being rude because it's considered cute or precocious or whatever while a teenager would come across as just nasty.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think it's rude to ask your grandmother for her car when she dies.  I think bringing up The Shining was at least a little bit rude.  And kissing someone out of nowhere after a baptism is more than rude.

• Love 4
On 10/26/2019 at 11:50 AM, Katy M said:

I think it's rude to ask your grandmother for her car when she dies.  I think bringing up The Shining was at least a little bit rude.  And kissing someone out of nowhere after a baptism is more than rude.

He's still a teenager and they aren't known to be perfect all the time. There's a difference in the situations above and asking why someone is asleep on the couch as "why is he still here". There's even a better way to ask why is he still here that Missy obviously hasn't learned yet.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

There's a difference in the situations above and asking why someone is asleep on the couch as "why is he still here". There's even a better way to ask why is he still here that Missy obviously hasn't learned yet.

In Missy's defense, she thought that she was supposed to pick a side, and she chose MeeMaw.  She referenced a friend whose parents divorced and how sides were picked, so she seemed to feel disloyal to MeeMaw by having Dr. Sturgis in the house after they broke up. 

• Love 8

"The best way to destigmatise something is to talk about it..." YES! Thank you! And from a sitcom too!

Love how Sheldon and Dr Sturgis had the same pineapple fact

When Missy said, "You heard me!" I was pretty sure I didn't because at first I heard what she said as "The Barbie and the pink whore vag"... even for Missy, that would be a bit improbable (and would have had Mary punishing her).

I was trying to work out if the timeline worked for Georgie to have seen The Shining (dollars too donuts he hasn't read the book) - but yes, he could, it was released in 1980 (whether he should have seen it at his age is another matter!)

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, rmontro said:

No mittens!  What an honor!

Loved that!

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I will say I wasn't too fond of Meemaw going out with the Richard Kind character just to spite Sturgis.  It's a shitty thing to do to something and I'm glad that Kind's character called it on her, very nicely.

Except if that was her motivation (and I agree it was) then it was a bad idea as didn't Dr Sturgis and Ira develop a weird friendship when Connie was trying to choose between them?

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:21 AM, possibilities said:

Missy has had to put up with Sheldon her entire life (including sharing a bedroom with him) and sees what he's allowed to get away with. It's unsurprising she's equally rude. I'm surprised she didn't just move Dr Sturgis' feet so she could sit down and watch TV, though.

5 hours ago, John Potts said:

I was trying to work out if the timeline worked for Georgie to have seen The Shining (dollars too donuts he hasn't read the book) - but yes, he could, it was released in 1980 (whether he should have seen it at his age is another matter!)

I think he's about 16 by now.  15 at least.

I had a friend in college. We graduated HS in 1990 for reference.  She had said that The Shining was on TV and they (her, her older brother and sister) had asked if they could watch it.  Her parents said no.  They watched anyway and my friend kept running out of the room scared.  So, yeah, that means it had been on TV at some point.  And my friend's parents aren't the type that would have had HBO or anything like that.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, John Potts said:

When Missy said, "You heard me!" I was pretty sure I didn't because at first I heard what she said as "The Barbie and the pink whore vag"... even for Missy, that would be a bit improbable (and would have had Mary punishing her).

This has been a few weeks since watching this, but I remember that!  I rewound that bit and watched it again because I thought Missy had said something that was too dirty to be on network television, so I figured I must have misheard it.  I don't remember exactly what I thought she might have said (as I said, it's been a few weeks), but I remember the incident.  It might well have been what you said.

Also loved the "no mittens, what an honor" line.

Edited by rmontro
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

This has been a few weeks since watching this, but I remember that!  I rewound that bit and watched it again because I thought Missy had something that was too dirty to be on network television, so I figured I must have misheard it.

On second listen, I think she said "Pink Corvette", which would make a lot more sense as a Barbie accessory. I suppose I could watch it back with the subtitles (Closed Captioning) on, but that seems like too much effort!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, John Potts said:

On second listen, I think she said "Pink Corvette", which would make a lot more sense as a Barbie accessory. I suppose I could watch it back with the subtitles (Closed Captioning) on, but that seems like too much effort!

Your version is much more entertaining. It was Barbie’s dream house and the pink corvette, aka the two most coveted accessories for a Barbie fan Missy’s age. 

22 hours ago, Dani said:

Your version is much more entertaining. It was Barbie’s dream house and the pink corvette, aka the two most coveted accessories for a Barbie fan Missy’s age. 

Yes, that's what she said. Thanks to my childless aunt, I had the best Barbie stuff, including the dune buggy and the camper, lol.

I also had a Corvette, but mine was yellow. Good times!

• Love 3