Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Coming Home

Drew is looking forward to the return of his boyfriend Rick from his overseas deployment but things go terribly wrong as a horrific crash sends badly wounded soldiers, including Rick, into the emergency room. Drew struggles to keep his relationship under wraps with TC’s help, as they both try to save Rick. TC and Scott argue over who is in charge and Jordan realizes she has to deal with some unresolved feelings for TC. Topher struggles to diagnose a soldier's illness as Krista fends off the flirtations of young soldiers in the emergency room, and Paul must contend with their good-natured teasing because he looks so young. Kenny discovers Ragosa’s online dating profile and offers to help fix it up.

I'm really surprised at how much I like this summer fluff of a show. 

I heart  Topher anyway, but I especially liked his no nonsense attitude with TC regarding Jordan.  I also liked that the doctor (Scott?) didn't take any of Jordan's bullshit about the ride she gave to TC.  I hope he dumps her like Landry dumped TC. 

I like Rick and Drew together.  Doesn't hurt that they're both hot. 

Speaking of hotness, that male black nurse whose name I can't think of--is HOT!

I had a feeling from the start that that poor soldier who was coming on to Doctor Mole was going to die, poor thing.  Although I hate it when a guy asks a woman for a date in front of other people because it puts the person on the spot to accept the date, whether she wants to or not.  I just hate that.  In the end though, it was beautifully done when Taps was played and they wheeled his body down the corridor with everyone watching.  

On a shallow note, the actor who plays TC has ears like an elf.  The actress who plays Mole Doctor should consider getting rid of it.

(edited)

Heh. Maybe Tricycle Crash and Bailey the Trauma Surgeon should just make out? It seemed to work out pretty well for Doctor Alien and Captain Rick. I like Dr. Mole more and more -- especially when she's reading Drew the Riot Act. She was cute with the doomed Private Wilson. Don't ask me about Pirate's eye trauma grossness. I couldn't look.

I liked Kenny (Kenny, right?) bonding with the Little Angry (Spanish) Onion.

Awfully convenient that the mariachi band was available to play "Taps" at the end, there.

Edited by Sandman
(edited)

I cried over poor Wilson. I knew something bad would happen to him. I hate that Rick lost his leg, but at least TC didn't perform yet another miracle. I was cheering on Scott about what he said about TC. Only 2 more episodes? :-(

Edited by LittleIggy

Yeah, that scene with the popped eye will haunt me for a bit.  Anything having to do with eyes freaks me out for some reason (looking at a certain recent scene from Game of Thrones this season.)

I had a feeling that the guy flirting with Krista was a goner.  I was confused over what happened; I know they mis-diagnosed it, but when Topher started feeling guilty over it, TC saild something along the lines that the guy was doomed anyway.  What the disease untreatable and using steroids just escalated it?  Or was TC just trying to comfort Topher?  Either way, felt bad for Topher, and even for Krista.  It was good to see her have deal with things not just working out, since usually things went her way.

So, TC and Dr. Scott Wolf duke it out!  Glad someone is not putting up with TC's crap, even though I'm sure he will be proven wrong in the end.  Too bad Jordan didn't tell him the truth about the kiss, because it is bound to come out, and he deserves better.

Well, so much for Drew hiding his sexuality, now.  Then again, at the rate things were going, it was only a matter of time (it looked like TC knew, Landry figured it out, and Kenny was getting suspicious.)  Wonder where they are going to go with this, now?  Are they going to suddenly introduce a new character whose all homophobic and a problem for him?  And, I wonder if we'll see Rick again.  I have to think losing is leg will be a issue for them.

I don't care how obvious it is: I want Landry/Ragosa to happen.  Both of them have suddenly become kind of awesome now. Although, Ragosa dealing with Kenny and the dating profiles was fun too.

Glad this has been renewed for next summer.  It's so silly, but really kind of fun.  Next week's plot is already cracking me up.  Of course, this show would go there.

Subtracting out the nonsense with Jordan and TC--and even that was redeemed by Topher and Scott--that was a thoroughly enjoyable episode. I'm going to go ahead and add Krista on the Credit side of the ledger, especially with her "don't ever tell me how tough you are again" to Drew.

I question two doctors who had served in Afghanistan not realizing that Wilson had Leischmaniasis, because it was the first thing that popped into my mind, and I've only learned about it in class.  And it's at this point, I try to remind myself that this isn't actually a documentary and that my obsessing over this kind of thing is exactly why my husband doesn't like to watch TV with me any more.

• Love 1
(edited)

I have to give the show some credit for recognizing Tragic Consequences' faults enough to let Bailey the Trauma Surgeon (and to some extent Topher) act as the voice of the audience.

Are we sure the bus full of orphans and nuns isn't going to be eaten by a rogue helicopter?

Edited by Sandman

My heart was breaking for both Drew and Rick until the end.   I live in Canada so know that here you can't lose your job for your sexual orientation unlike in some of the U.S. states.  I have no idea what the laws of the state this show is based in are, but I couldn't help but wonder if that didn't play a part in their reluctance to show people what they really meant to each other.  I don't think the guys who served with Rick had any idea that he would have boyfriends vs girlfriends so we have two men whose work places and for the most part the people they work with have no idea what they are hiding.

I cried at the end when Taps was playing.  I always cry when I hear it and watching everyone line up when the soldier's body was wheeled out was so sad.  At least Krista made his last hours happy ones.

(edited)
I have no idea what the laws of the state this show is based in are, but I couldn't help but wonder if that didn't play a part in their reluctance to show people what they really meant to each other.

I'll try to explain this without getting too political.  If you've ever heard the unofficial terms "red state" and "blue state" in reference to American politics, "red states" are those where the population tends to hold more conservative views.  Residents of "blue states" tend to have more liberal political views.  Texas is considered to be a "red state" at this moment in American history.  Drew is also still serving in the American military, which is just beginning to transition out of the era of "Don't ask, don't tell."  Based on geographic location and their military ties, it doesn't at all surprise me that they felt reluctant.

Edited by Ohmo

I only found out yesterday that Brendan Fehr and Scott Wolf, two of my favorites (seriously - I have an unhealthy devotion to the casts of both "Party of Five" and "Roswell") were on this show. So I binged on-demand and watched all the episodes in one evening.

There is much that is stupid and awful on this show, but the good stuff - ALL of Drew's story lines; the commraderie of the staff - make up for it and I've sort of fallen in love with the show.

Drew and Rick broke my heart. I'm really rooting for them now that everything is out in the open. Excited to see where the writers take their story.

• Love 1

Drew said in one of the earlier episodes that he was reluctant to come out because he didn't want to be known as the gay guy; he was afraid he'd be reduced to that one thing. This is in addition to the possible homophobia and career issues it might cause.

I wish they hadn't gone that way with Rick's leg.  I just watched seasons of Grey's Anatomy where one of the women part of a lesbian couple lost her leg.  Now, it's another gay couple who has to go through that on this medical show.  Grey's also just did the eye thing, too. 

Yeah, they're ripping off a lot of Grey's stories in quick succession.  Next week we have a shooter holding doctors at gunpoint.

Drew said in one of the earlier episodes that he was reluctant to come out because he didn't want to be known as the gay guy; he was afraid he'd be reduced to that one thing. This is in addition to the possible homophobia and career issues it might cause.

Yep, I agree.  I think it was as much a privacy thing as much as anything - he didn't want everybody talking about his business.  One thing I thought was really dumb was at one point he said something about (paraphrasing), "what if my patients find out?"  How would they find out?  They won't know anything about your personal life if you don't tell them.  And I don't mean in a "don't ask, don't tell" way, but just generally, when was the last time you knew anything about your ER doc's romantic life?  Your pediatrician, your gynecologist, your cardiologist - you may develop a relationship with those people.  But an ER visit is short and hectic.  There's not a lot of aimless chatting.

On a slightly shallow note, the actors playing Drew and Rick looked so much alike to me that I would have cast them as brothers.  Maybe it's just the haircut.

I liked the guy with Krista, so I knew he was toast.  I'll be in the minority, and say I hated the Taps scene.  They had me up until then, but it was just so hokey.  I'm assuming the mariachi guys were supposed to be amateurs (on the show), because that bugling was rough.  Secondly, where did they find the nice folded casket flag so quickly?  I nearly guffawed.  TPTB need to realize that they have strong enough actors (excepting the male lead) to carry this stuff, so there's no need to beat us over the head with the emotional symbolism.

That said, I'm still enjoying the show.  I probably wouldn't watch it in the fall, but there's not much scripted competition in the summer.  I like Ragosa and de la Cruz, and am rooting for them to get together.  Topher is fantastic, as are Krista, Kenny, Drew, and Paul.  Jordan's BF is pretty OTT, but he's basically just there as a foil, so there's not much for him to work with.  They could lift Jordan and Tragic Consequences right out and give their time to the others, and they wouldn't be missed.

Very nice scene with the bandmember playing Taps at the end....Except....that it's an instantly recongnizable song of memory for the dead.  Not something you want the patients in an ER hearing.  "Well, we lost another one. Next!"

I thought Jordan was going to follow up her line about "He didn't call me" with "He stayed at my house last night" and lay that bombshell on Dr. Scott''s lap.

The bus full of orphans and nuns, after crashing into the rogue helicopter, will end up on its side wrapped in power lines.

• Love 2

Was that an actual folded flag? It looked like a little plush toy. I assumed it was the kind of thing that platoons carry for emergencies. (Yeah, I dunno. Does it count as fanwanking if I don't entirely like the show?) The mariachi band "Taps" definitely was -- you should pardon the expression -- overkill. Can you imagine the other patients panicking? ("From ER intake to jazz funeral inside an hour? Really? This is one nutty but efficient hospital!")

I question two doctors who had served in Afghanistan not realizing that Wilson had Leischmaniasis, because it was the first thing that popped into my mind, and I've only learned about it in class.

For those of us who are medically illiterate, I'd like to know this:

Why did TC say Wilson was dead as soon as he left Afghanistan? 

The show never explained what makes the disease fatal.

Leishmaniasis is caused by a blood parasite, like malaria.  Once a person is infected, the parasites like to go after the liver, spleen, and bone marrow, which is why Wilson didn't have any platelets.  It's a treatable condition, but once they'd given Wilson steroids to treat the condition he was misdiagnosed with, his immune system was suppressed.  However, the speed with which that happened was completely for drama's sake.

The only possible reason I could give for what TC said was because once Wilson was stateside, he would be less likely to be seen by a doctor who specialized in infectious diseases or tropical medicine, so any doctor who saw him would be more inclined to make the same wrong diagnosis Topher did.  Except that I still don't buy that TC and Topher, who both practiced medicine in Afghanistan, wouldn't have thought of it, if for no other reason that it's epidemic in parts of the country.  I guess this is the only branch of medicine TC isn't amazing at.

• Love 1
Yeah, they're ripping off a lot of Grey's stories in quick succession.  Next week we have a shooter holding doctors at gunpoint.​

Well, to be fair, Chicago Hope and ER did most of these years (decades??) ago.  Hell, I'm pretty sure St. Elsewhere had a hostage situation.  

I know this show is ridiculous, but I'm kind of enjoying it.  Good summer fair, I think.  

I really enjoyed most of that but yes the Taps was a little much, but what really hacked me off was when Wilson died Topher manged to hold it together and they had Krista bawling like a GIRL....ugh! Just b/c she is female she could have also been professional like Topher in fact most females in that field try to underplay their emotions for that very stereotype reason.

I liked ManpainAngryOnion and del la Cruz chemistry until this week. Before it was a mutual growing affection, but this week they turned it to him being all puppish over her. I wanted a more mature relationship for them.

We did have Weepy!Toph last week, though. Honestly, it didn't occur to me that Krista was crying because she was Being The Girl; I thought she cried more readily because of her relative inexperience, and (related to that) her bond with Wilson was atypically strong. If Doctor Mole becomes Regularly Weeping Mole (... ew, sorry) then that's different.

We did have Weepy!Toph last week, though. Honestly, it didn't occur to me that Krista was crying because she was Being The Girl; I thought she cried more readily because of her relative inexperience, and (related to that) her bond with Wilson was atypically strong. If Doctor Mole becomes Regularly Weeping Mole (... ew, sorry) then that's different.

I had the same feeling. And I'll join the big table of those who were sure that Wilson was toasted as soon as he asked her out.

This show never pretended to be groundbreaking, so I'm not looking for originality and I kind of have a kick with the clichés, but indeed the "gay couple/leg amputation" was a bit too litteral a rip off for me.

I like Paul. I was afraid at first they'd go overboard with the "Carter" or the "O'Malley" butt-monkey thing with him, but thankfully, no.

Probably unpopular, but: I don't like the male nurse, although for the first time he showed a bit of personality. I'm quite sure they're going to pair him with Krista, unfortunately. I love her so I kind of hope she'll hook up with someone I like better. Dr Dorian Gray, for example, once Jordan and TC are back together.

I found it refreshing that Ragosa admitted he was attracted to Landry. Now, I hope indeed that they'll have an adult relationship.

I think that's why, although I'm no fan, I don't hate TC and Jordan. They're kind of a lightning conductor: they get the cliché relationship and it allows other to have something different.

Things are way less partial than I'd have expected in the triangle. Yes, Scott was the one to use a working situation in order to settle a personal beef, but he was imo presented as the wronged party (and rightfully) when Jordan lied. And Jordan was called upon her lie, immediately. Topher -my love for him knows no bounds- read TC the riot act about his attitude, and TC seemed to more or less listen.

It could have been worse, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

On a side nitpicking note, I hate this current  fashion of promoting "the last episode... ... ... ...before the finale".

(edited)

I am no fan of the triangle and agree that he can be arrogant, but I think TC's a more genuine person than Scott.  I pretty much wanted TC to punch his lights out when it came to Rick's leg.  The underlying subject was Jordan and they were both strutting, but Scott was being such an arrogant piece of crap surgeon.  Once a human limb is amputated, that's it.  It's not like it freakin' grows back.  TC's attempt to save the leg didn't work, but he made the attempt.  Scott wrote the entire situation off.  I agree that TC can be an arrogant showboat who likes to preen, but I also believe that he does care about those who matter to him, like Topher and Janet by extension and Drew and Rick by extension.

All of Scott's talk to Rick at the end came across to me as obvious "fake compassion" for an audience, so if someone's going to arrogantly show off, I'd rather he'd actually do it in a sincere attempt to serve my inteests as an actual person, not merely as the latest operation on his schedule.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1

I don't "hate" TC and Jordan and I don't care if they wind up together.  I think for me it's the acting of the actors that leaves me cold and unsympathetic towards them and, therefore, makes me not care about their relationship. 

Ok so hot male nurse's name is Kenny.  I like him but I hope he doesn't hook up with Dr. Mole or anyone else on staff.  I'd like for somebody to have a relationship with someone outside the hospital, including Dr. Mole. 

Pau is growing on me. 

(edited)

The episodes that push TC to the background and Drew to the foreground are the best. Though, I did get a chuckle when TC and Scott Wolfe were fighting, they added in the ER time on the bottom of the screen.

I'm a Veteran and during the episode I was trying to figure out how much monthly VA disability each of the soldiers would earn for these injuries. The boyfriend would most likely (if he has dependents - marries Drew) earn about $3,000 a month from the VA. That's a lot to make omlets with.

Edited by CofCinci
Ok so hot male nurse's name is Kenny.  I like him but I hope he doesn't hook up with Dr. Mole or anyone else on staff.  I'd like for somebody to have a relationship with someone outside the hospital, including Dr. Mole.

It seems that's not allowed on television.  Characters are only allowed to date within the same tiny circle of people they work with.

Thanks Ohmo

I'll try to explain this without getting too political.  If you've ever heard the unofficial terms "red state" and "blue state" in reference to American politics, "red states" are those where the population tends to hold more conservative views.  Residents of "blue states" tend to have more liberal political views.  Texas is considered to be a "red state" at this moment in American history.  Drew is also still serving in the American military, which is just beginning to transition out of the era of "Don't ask, don't tell."  Based on geographic location and their military ties, it doesn't at all surprise me that they felt reluctant.

These colours show up on my tv whenever there's an election on in the U.S. and I tune it to see what's going on.  I had no idea these terms were used outside of an election based definition.  So, from this explanation, Texas is not a good place to be gay and fits the story line.

(edited)

The underlying subject was Jordan and they were both strutting, but Scott was being such an arrogant piece of crap surgeon. Once a human limb is amputated, that's it. It's not like it freakin' grows back. TC's attempt to save the leg didn't work, but he made the attempt. Scott wrote the entire situation off. I agree that TC can be an arrogant showboat who likes to preen, but I also believe that he does care about those who matter to him, like Topher and Janet by extension and Drew and Rick by extension.

I don't disagree with your characterization of either Tragic Consequences or Bailey the Trauma Surgeon here, but I'm not sure Scott was acting purely out of arrogance. TC's attempt to save the leg didn't work, and that meant Rick was at greater risk; a limb so gangrenous could have killed him. Scott was being brusque, and might have tried harder to spare his patient's feelings, but the state of that leg made the situation seem pretty urgent.

Edited by Sandman

Agreed, @Sandman, and also Tragic Consequences didn't man up and let Bailey the Trauma Surgeon know that Rick wouldn't be coming up to surgery.  That resulted in BtTS waiting for some time (I can't remember, but I think he referenced an actual unit of time), tying up both an OR and a surgeon that could have been helping someone else.

I just can't with TC.

• Love 1
That resulted in BtTS waiting for some time (I can't remember, but I think he referenced an actual unit of time), tying up both an OR and a surgeon that could have been helping someone else.

I thought that was Scott's main beef: No one told him the patient wasn't coming up to the OR, so everyone up there just sat around doing nothing when they could have been operating on other patients.

(edited)
I don't disagree with your characterization of either Tragic Consequences or Bailey the Trauma Surgeon here, but I'm not sure Scott was acting purely out of arrogance. TC's attempt to save the leg didn't work, and that meant Rick was at greater risk; a limb so gangrenous could have killed him. Scott was being brusque, and might have tried harder to spare his patient's feelings, but the state of that leg made the situation seem pretty urgent.

I thought that was Scott's main beef: No one told him the patient wasn't coming up to the OR, so everyone up there just sat around doing nothing when they could have been operating on other patients.

I'll agree with dubbel coat (second quote) that TC should have told Scott so that the OR could have been used for something else.  However, my issue with Scott was before that, and yeah, I think he was arrogant.  When Rick first came in, amputation was Scott's first and only course of treatment.  He wasn't interested in hearing anything else.  Drew had to go to TC to even attempt another course of treatment.

Also, Rick's significant other also happens to be a doctor, and Drew did tell Rick in no uncertain terms (I'll drug you and drag you up to the OR myself) when they got to the point where amputation was necessary.  However, that was later, not when Rick first came in, and even when later arrived, they weren't flying Rick down the hall in a panic en route to emergency surgury. In the end, BLTS (I love that) did turn out to be correct.  Amputation did turn out to be necessary, but BLTS was perfectly content to amputate as a first course of action to the exclusion of all other possible treatment options.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1