Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: The Perfect Storm

• Start Topic

Seriously, why doesent anyone react to things like normal people would? Why is everyone so freaking dramatic all of the time? Nobody can just have a normal conversation or deal with a situation a rational way, its all dramatic yelling and storming off, or its the other side, a complete under-reaction to things that should be a huge deal! 

The whole thing with Eric and the heart transplant is so ridiculous and melodramatic, the only person I really for bad for is Eric in this situation. Maggie's dad shouldn't have done some ultimatum and made his wife chose between him and this guy, that just seems ridiculous. Of course, Maggie's mom leaving her husband so she can hang out with a random guy who just happens to have her dead sons heart is absolutely ridiculous, and she does seem like she is obsessing a lot over this guy being her sons resurrected clone or whatever over the rest of her family, and her not telling them what really happened during Chads death is freaking stupid. And of course, the biggest drama queen of them all, Maggie! For a therapist, she sure does like she storm off angrily (even in the rain!) and scream at people without giving them time to explain. Yeah, I would probably be upset that my mom lied about the details of my hypothetical brothers death too, but...he still died in that wreck, its not like she is covering his cause of death or something, or he is secretly alive and in witness protection in Boise or something. Its like Maggie cant even have a single conversation with her mom or let her explain anything without freaking out and yelling! Maggie's mom clearly has issues, and its seems like she really shut down when Chad died and kind of forgot Maggie, but she is clearly trying to build more of a relationship with her, and she obviously loves her, so chill out! It seems to be stuck in a kind of arrested development as a teenager, the time her brother died, and I would think this was actually on purpose, but I dont think this show is that subtle. 

Delilah getting pissy about being Regina's "partner" is laughable, what the hell does she actually DO at the restaurant? Well she sat some people this time and she helped lift a table...and calls Regina during rush hour to ask her is she remembers a random song? So helpful! Good thing Regina has Albert the chef around, he really kept his cool and came up with a solid plan and seems very professional, which is a nice change to see with all of our goofy semi employed leads. You know, if they want us to think that Regina is this great chef and business woman, they should maybe let her be good at her job sometimes. I mean, she has one set back this week and totally freaks out, and would have probably just sat in a corner and starred into space if that random guy didnt show up. The whole family style dinner thing was cute, at least for a one night thing or doing it as something special every once in awhile, but she was sure lucky that all of these people were wandering by during this storm! So did these people pay, or is she using this for the free publicity? 

Katherine really is a saint, none of these people deserve her. I do like Katherine's work friend, and was definitely with him on the slight "mmmmm" when she said the whole situation and that she was trying to get back with Eddie. I would like to see her with everyone else (even if I continue to think she can make better friends) more, just so she isnt all alone and not really a part of the friend group. Gary actually read the room alright and used his dumb humor to lighten the mood, not make things worse! Which is funny considering how much he hated her at the start of the show and how much he is Team Delilah. 

Eddie talking about how the baby is his daughter in the house is just asking for Danny or Sophie to overhear him. I mean, what does he want to do here? Yeah he can be with his daughter more, but would seriously screw up all the poor kids. Of course, everyone else got over this affair in about five seconds and forgave Delilah and Eddie in an unreasonable amount of time, so maybe the kids would too?

• Love 10

Katherine should tell Delilah that she is telling Theo that Charlie is his half sister just to force Delilah to face her own children with all her lies and deceit.  

Wondering if we will get a storyline where Charlie has some fatal illness and needs blood or something and only Theo is a match.

Edited by LucyEth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Katherine should tell Delilah that she is telling Theo that Charlie is his half sister just to force Delilah to face her own children with all her lies and deceit.  

Wondering if we will get a storyline where Charlie has some fatal illness and needs blood or something and only Theo is a match.

Didn't the Texas thing next week come out of no where? I only saw that in past shows when they wanted to write someone out so I wont take it seriously yet.

Maybe the illness will make Theo not a match? Maybe then we will find out that one time she did sleep with Jon got her pregnant and she "forgot about it". ; )

The melodrama with Maggie doesn't seem to subside in the coming weeks, 10/31 has " Gary's growing tension with Maggie comes to a head as she accidentally lets Colin out while she's on the phone with Eric. Meanwhile, Delilah does a podcast about suicide, which helps her open up to Andrew"

Gag....maybe it will be better live

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, izabella said:

I would also expect her teenage daughter to be drafted into babysitting.  I was 14 when my baby sister was born, and yup, babysitting was a thing because both of my parents worked. 

Delilah's daughter is pretty much MIA, even when we are shown the homey little "family" scenes, like the one with Eddie, Delilah, Theo, and the baby.

Well, it was a weekday so presumably she was at school. I don't remember if she was there during the gift giving in the morning (I would assume her high school starts earlier than Theo's elementary school, at least; I know they do around here). Don't know what time the shower scene was, either...I guess in the afternoon after she got home (when I was in high school we started at 7:40 and we got out at 2:12). Maybe all these adults with supposed jobs can just do whatever but the kids have to go to school.

3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Eddie talking about how the baby is his daughter in the house is just asking for Danny or Sophie to overhear him. I mean, what does he want to do here? Yeah he can be with his daughter more, but would seriously screw up all the poor kids. Of course, everyone else got over this affair in about five seconds and forgave Delilah and Eddie in an unreasonable amount of time, so maybe the kids would too?

The kids will get over it sooner if they tell them sooner (or it would be more believable that way, at least). The longer they keep it from them (especially the older ones; Theo seems like he would just roll with it and be excited about the tiny feet) the more upset they'll be. (Another reason to get a paternity test; be absolutely sure before telling them they have a half sibling.)

• Love 4
16 hours ago, izabella said:

I would also expect her teenage daughter to be drafted into babysitting.  I was 14 when my baby sister was born, and yup, babysitting was a thing because both of my parents worked.

Same here. I was 9 when my sister was born and taking care of her was just one of the things that was expected of me along with my other chores and household responsibilities. It wasn't like one of those Duggar situations where my mom just dumped her on me and I had to wash/feed/dress her all day, but my parents NEVER hired a babysitter or asked family/friends to watch my sister when they were both unavailable because they had me to do that. From the day she was born until I left for college, I was always next in line to take care of her if my parents had to be somewhere else.

I keep waiting for Sophie and Danny to be shown watching Charlie, especially now that Delilah is "going back to work" to her nebulous role at Gina's restaurant.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Well, it was a weekday so presumably she was at school. I don't remember if she was there during the gift giving in the morning (I would assume her high school starts earlier than Theo's elementary school, at least; I know they do around here). Don't know what time the shower scene was, either...I guess in the afternoon after she got home (when I was in high school we started at 7:40 and we got out at 2:12). Maybe all these adults with supposed jobs can just do whatever but the kids have to go to school.

The kids will get over it sooner if they tell them sooner (or it would be more believable that way, at least). The longer they keep it from them (especially the older ones; Theo seems like he would just roll with it and be excited about the tiny feet) the more upset they'll be. (Another reason to get a paternity test; be absolutely sure before telling them they have a half sibling.)

I second the test but don't think in "real life" Theo would be okay with it. If he understands that wouldn't have happened if his dad wasn't with Delilah in a way he was supposed to be with his mom, he'll be hurt. He'll be hurt because his mom was hurt and he will start piecing things together in his logical brain of why things were the way they were.

Sophie will be hurt that one her Dad's best friends slept with her Mom (ew!) and she liked Eddie and his was her teacher. "Was that to get closer to my Mom? Did Dad know?" And although we all know suicide can be one thing or a million little things, she'd be remiss not to think it was the last straw. I would at her age.

Danny? I don't know, he is going through a lot himself, probably be surprised but out of the three, better adjustment.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

Now, do I think Nash is a shitty writer? Yes. However, I will have to give him some allowances that this sort of show sort of feasts on this nonsensical drama, like Maggie and Gary saying and doing JUST THE WRONG thing to make each other think that the other is interested in another person (Delilah for Gary and Eric for Maggie). 

It's hacky as fuck, but I guess it's a trope of the genre, and once they were sort of forced to keep Eddie with Katherine due to Grace Park being just too damn perfect (and Giuntuli not being able to play "dirtbag" well), they sort of "needed" relationship drama in the group. 

So it sucks, but this is one of the few areas with Nash where I totally get it. 

Edited by Brian Cronin
  • Love 2

I was with Maggie until the scene at the airport.  Yes, she stormed off like a baby, but her mother was 100% wrong to ambush her with Eric like that.  She should have just sat Maggie down and told her privately, instead of bringing Eric to brunch like everything was A-OK.

But the airport?  Overkill.  The whole scene felt engineered just to have Maggie fling herself into Eric's arms, and of course Gary sees it all.  Good Lord.  Isn't Maggie supposed to be a therapist?  Does she have no awareness of why her mother is behaving the way she is?

IA that Katherine is the only one who comes off well here.  That ukelele scene with Theo was painful.  No matter what happens, there's a permanent reminder of Eddie's infidelity forever.   And she managed to get Delilah to keep her house, which says a lot about Katherine's character.  Delilah's simpering whiny self should feel two feet tall.

The "family meal" concept wouldn't work for me, but if it's a one time a week thing, I can see some customers liking it.  

• Love 6

I also think that this show, and Parenthood before it, are sort of screwed by casting Jason Ritter in the role of the guy who doesn't get the girl, because, come on, by all logic, Jason Ritter is going to get the girl, ya know? 

He's so damn adorable on this show that if they actually DO do a love triangle with her, Gary and Eric, how could she NOT pick Eric? 

And I actively LIKE Gary. I think he's a "catch," but it's Jason freakin' Ritter, people! 

• Love 7

I cannot stand Maggie. I felt very badly for her during her cancer treatment and hoped that she would pull through but she is insufferable with her mother. I agree that her mother has gone off of the deep end with her desire to keep Chad alive through Eric but Maggie is just a royal pain. Gary can do so much better. I love Jason Ritter and certainly don't want him to get stuck with her. 

Did they "age" Theo? I always thought he was supposed to be 6 or 7 at the oldest. We often see him in pajamas and he has always struck me as "young". I think that the actor is adorable but is playing "young". 

I love Katherine's assistant. Whatever happened to the co-worker with whom she had a few dates? I like Katherine and Eddie together. 

• Love 4

I normally don't have as many issues with children/babies/teenagers on a show as many on these TV forums do. But I admit that Theo is a bit too cutesy. It is not so much his actions--well, not every instance--but the way he is written (what he is given to say and the direction he is given to deliver it). The actor is a cute kid, but I sort zone out when he is on screen now.

• Love 5

My problem with the writing, well one of my problems, is they always go for the easy and obvious. Regina tells a story about family meal and the sound of the table scratching the floor? You can be sure that sound will be heard later at her new restaurant.  There is no nuance to the writing, no surprises, or bold choices. It’s just lazy. 

• Love 4

I must be the only one but I do not like Katherine at all.   Not sure why but she's annoying.   I see no chemistry at all between her and Eddie.   I'd actually prefer Eddie with Delilah, I see more chemistry between them.   I'd love for Eddie to be able to acknowledge Charlie.

Now Theo...while the little boy that plays that character is cute kid, but I think the casting isn't right.  He does not look like a kid that is half white/Asian.  His lines are corny, not at all what a kid his age should be talking like.   I wish they'd show less of him.  

Maggie was grating on my last nerves this week.   Her mother LOST HER SON!!   Doesn't she know how traumatic that is for a parent?  I'm not saying how Patricia reacted was right but Maggie needs to cut her some slack.  A parent's worst nightmare is to bury a child before them.  

Rome is my favourite.  

I think eventually Charlie's parentage will be exposed.  That tidbit is way too juicy not to expose.  

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, S.Batts said:

I must be the only one but I do not like Katherine at all.   Not sure why but she's annoying.   I see no chemistry at all between her and Eddie.   I'd actually prefer Eddie with Delilah, I see more chemistry between them.   I'd love for Eddie to be able to acknowledge Charlie.

I like the character Katherine but find it hard to separate the character from the actress whom I do not care for. I actually like Delilah while not condoning what she did. I think Eddie has chemistry with both.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

He's so damn adorable on this show that if they actually DO do a love triangle with her, Gary and Eric, how could she NOT pick Eric? 

Am I the only one who thinks it would be creepy to date a guy that has your brother's heart (or any other organ). It just seems wrong.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Am I the only one who thinks it would be creepy to date a guy that has your brother's heart (or any other organ). It just seems wrong.

Oh, it's totally weird. But if that guy has the face and charm of Jason Ritter, you work past it! 

It's a variation of "I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers."

"I wouldn't kick him out of bed for having my dead brother's heart."

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 10/20/2019 at 7:14 AM, debraran said:

If he understands that wouldn't have happened if his dad wasn't with Delilah in a way he was supposed to be with his mom, he'll be hurt.

Theo understand something? The kid who thought somebody was filling in the Grand Canyon?

What should happen, if the writers were actually good, is that Maggie complains to Delilah that the secret her mother kept for six years really hurt her, and Delilah then realizes she shouldn't hurt her kids with a lie either.

I think the writers/showrunner/editors messed up the timeline for this episode. The restaurant scenes appeared to be at night at the same time that Eddie and Theo were at Delilah's before dinner. The Maggie story began at breakfast but then seemed to continue through early afternoon (drinking a beer with Eric). The episode just wasn't put together well.

HATED the "joke" about Rome and Eddie in the shower together. "It's not what it looks like!!" Gay-shaming. (Or, since the baby was in the scene, well I don't know what Eddie thought it looked like then.)

I've been to a restaurant with family-style seating. It works for a more casual spot, where friends are just going out for a low-cost dinner. But a high-end restaurant? Just no.

Sooo stupid to mortgage their home instead of finding help for Regina to get over her "I feel trapped by men" issue.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

Sooo stupid to mortgage their home instead of finding help for Regina to get over her "I feel trapped by men" issue.

And I don't even get the logistics of it, as Rome mentioned he was willing to go work in commercials again to support the restaurant, right? So if she waited a little bit, shouldn't he soon be able to finance the restaurant?  I suppose you could argue, though, that she had to get rid of Andrew RIGHT THIS INSTANT which is fair enough, I guess.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, LisaM said:

I love Katherine's assistant. Whatever happened to the co-worker with whom she had a few dates? I like Katherine and Eddie together. 

IIRC, he got the partner spot after she turned it down and she was mad about that or something...

• Love 2

I hate Delilah. She has the nerve to get made that she’s not included in the restaurant decisions. Then gets an apology. Poor Delilah. Such a victim. Then the group makes Katherine feel uncomfortable while Delilah just hangs out in the background as if she had nothing to do with it.  Why isn’t Delilah the one ostracized?? So tired of saint delilah!

• Love 9
On 10/18/2019 at 8:24 PM, KaveDweller said:

My one question was, whether restaurants are really able to serve in a power failure like that.

I just figured for TV land it made sense to me that they were going to use all of the food before it spoiled.  But that kitchen would have been DARK by the time the crowd showed up.  

We were in a restaurant that lost power but had just ordered, we got out food but people who hadn't placed their orders were told they could wait to see if the power came back or go somewhere else.  They also were turning people away at the door and only dealing with the seated guests like us. 

On 10/21/2019 at 8:32 AM, Enigma X said:

I normally don't have as many issues with children/babies/teenagers on a show as many on these TV forums do. But I admit that Theo is a bit too cutesy. It is not so much his actions--well, not every instance--but the way he is written (what he is given to say and the direction he is given to deliver it). The actor is a cute kid, but I sort zone out when he is on screen now.

Agree. I’m waiting for them to give him a speech affect like Elmer Fudd (wabbit) to try to make him even more “precious”.  I’m not buying the cute act. 

• Love 3
On 10/21/2019 at 7:48 PM, ams1001 said:

IIRC, he got the partner spot after she turned it down and she was mad about that or something...

Yeah, he actually became a colossal jackass after he and Katherine had sex.  Well, he let his colossal jackassedness (jackassery??) show then, as I'm sure he already was one.  If I recall correctly, he started being very condescending and distant towards her.  He eventually told her that he made partner, and that he hadn't told her because he didn't want to hurt her, or some such nonsense.  She then revealed that she had been offered the partnership but turned it down, and I think that bruised his ego.  That whole situation was strange.  The whole purpose for him being on the show seemed to be to just distract Katherine while she was already vulnerable which would make him look like a better choice for partner.  But then we never see him again, so what was the point?  Maybe he was just a plot device to make Eddie realize he still loves Katherine and wants to fight for his marriage.  All I know is I love Katherine, Regina, and Rome.  I loathe Eddie and Delilah.  The rest I can tolerate, but have no strong feelings for either way.  Although, Maggie certainly has been working hard to get on my loathe list.

• Love 2
On 10/21/2019 at 2:55 PM, smartymarty said:

Theo understand something? The kid who thought somebody was filling in the Grand Canyon?

What should happen, if the writers were actually good, is that Maggie complains to Delilah that the secret her mother kept for six years really hurt her, and Delilah then realizes she shouldn't hurt her kids with a lie either.

I think the writers/showrunner/editors messed up the timeline for this episode. The restaurant scenes appeared to be at night at the same time that Eddie and Theo were at Delilah's before dinner. The Maggie story began at breakfast but then seemed to continue through early afternoon (drinking a beer with Eric). The episode just wasn't put together well.

HATED the "joke" about Rome and Eddie in the shower together. "It's not what it looks like!!" Gay-shaming. (Or, since the baby was in the scene, well I don't know what Eddie thought it looked like then.)

I've been to a restaurant with family-style seating. It works for a more casual spot, where friends are just going out for a low-cost dinner. But a high-end restaurant? Just no.

I liked Regina but now they are making her the broken black woman who for some reason doesn't want children so we must fix her. Let's dig up past bad experiences and abuse, emotional issues and when fixed in one or two shows, she will change.  Maybe it wont be this way but I feel it. I've known women who just didn't want children or later adopted older children and they were fine, they exist everywhere but TV.

I understand lust and how affairs can be heated but every time I see Eddie I think of him and Delilah making fun of their spouses and planning their escape. It was like they were kids leaving home to run away with their unlikable boyfriend, not adults with children and responsibilities. What if "Katie" wants Indian food again or things get boring.  That type of immaturity doesn't change quickly in real life and we will see how it plays out here. Still not sure why writers wanted this baby, just to have Sophie and others angry at Delilah? It doesn't seem many are. Just a tired plot twist, keep waiting for something fresh.

• Love 2
On 10/21/2019 at 12:50 PM, S.Batts said:

Now Theo...while the little boy that plays that character is cute kid, but I think the casting isn't right.  He does not look like a kid that is half white/Asian.  His lines are corny, not at all what a kid his age should be talking like.   I wish they'd show less of him. 

Yes as a half white/Asian I can attest Theo def looks all Asian. His whole character seems like it’s for a corny Disney channel show. He takes me out of any realism (I know that in itself is funny) when watching. He needs some friends. He seems like that strange kid who only hangs out with adults because he doesn’t know how to act like a kid, yet is extremely naive at the same time. Delilah’s kids, on the other hand, seem “normal” for their ages.

• Love 6
On 10/17/2019 at 10:09 PM, iwasish said:

Talking about Charlie’s parentage in Delilahs house is reckless. The kids could walk in anytime and overhear. Eddie better worry  about how his own son is going to react to that news when it comes out. 

In the tv world characters in a group literally take two steps to the side to have a “private” conversation, speak at a normal volume, show all sorts of emotion, and no one ever hears, sees or suspects anything.  The room can be completely quiet and those 2 steps to the side is space enough to have a completely unheard conversation. Then again in this world you can get knocked up by your husband’s married BFF and it’s all good for everyone except the friends wife who is now shunned. 

Maggie & Gary:  If she leave Gary for this brother's heart guy, I'm not gonna be happy.  Jason Ritter is great but Gary has been by her side for all her cancer & weird family issues.

Eddie, Katherine, D: This is not gonna end well!  The lies, the cheating & all the hurt feelings.  How in anyone's mind do they think they can all be friends after all of this?  Katherine might be viewed as a saint but I think she's being stupid.  I would never be able to get passed it.

Rome: He's the best!

Regina: Whatever

The kids: Theo is corny & very nieve.  I need to see him throw a fit or something.  What normal 6-9 year old is always so happy to do stuff with their parents?  

Side notes: the story started at breakfast & Maggie running out & it was raining.  Cut to the afternoon(?) when the restaurant lost power because it was pouring. Cut to a little later at the airport it was sunny & then when everyone shows up at the restaurant its evening. Who picked up Theo from school?  Why doesn't D's daughter work at the restaurant? Katherine's assistant needs more scenes.  

25 minutes ago, carrin817 said:

Theo is corny & very nieve.  I need to see him throw a fit or something.  What normal 6-9 year old is always so happy to do stuff with their parents?

One who is terrified his parents are going to permanently split up.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:09 AM, esco1822 said:

I'm confused, did Regina serve dinner to all those people for free? The first guy I know was for free but then she told him to invite his friends. So did Regina cook for a packed restaurant for free just so the food didn't spoil? Or did the new people pay, especially the people that came after the power came on? I guess this is one of those 'you have to spend money to make money' situations. I feel like in the real world, you would be practical and just do as Albert suggested, since the power could literally come back on at any time. I guess we are also to assume that the entire kitchen is powered by gas? This show is so disconnected from reality sometimes that it really bothers me. It is supposed to be a charming little plot twist and instead i'm sitting there like, WTF? 

I think it's a very short time after the heart stops because blood is no longer pumping to the other organs.  But in this scenario, it was the heart so I'm not sure. It was obviously put on ice for some time if the donor was in Boston and they lived in Chicago (I think its Chicago). This is of course making the assumption that Eric is a born and bred Bostonian, which we don't know. There are a lot of plot holes in this show.  

On a better show I'd say it just wasn't filled in yet. 

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

On a better show I'd say it just wasn't filled in yet. 

True. And on a better show, I could turn my brain off and just enjoy the far-fetched idea that Regina somehow turned lemons into lemonade with her restaurant during a storm, but the show makes its characters so unlikeable that I can't help but question minor flaws and pointless details.

Like, why did Regina think it was smart to push a small round table that already had two people seated at it to the end of the longer table, when doing so would effectively remove two potential seats at the ends of each table, not add any seating? This show shouldn't have me fixating on these things!

And I was beyond frustrated that the show made Katherine do the heavy lifting of resolving the tension between her and the group. I was so mad that it was up to her to let THEM off the hook for never giving her the time of day during all of this drama, and actually had her say “So, while I appreciate everyone looking out for me...”. Um, what Katherine? You’re actually going to excuse them for ignoring you throughout this situation by rationalizing that it was all to spare your feelings and avoid making the situation awkward for you?!!! No show! You do not make Katherine fall on the sword of this whole mess.

I was glad at least to see Carter make an appearance, Katherine's only genuine friend on this show. It just made me feel better to have a reminder of someone who’s actually looking out for Katherine, and, like a good friend, was mad that she didn't reach out to him earlier so he could be there for her. I hope Carter returns more often because I really need to see someone who is gonna take Katherine's side as blindly as everyone else seems to for Eddie and Delilah.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, debraran said:

I liked Regina but now they are making her the broken black woman who for some reason doesn't want children so we must fix her. Let's dig up past bad experiences and abuse, emotional issues and when fixed in one or two shows, she will change.  Maybe it wont be this way but I feel it. I've known women who just didn't want children or later adopted older children and they were fine, they exist everywhere but TV.

Yeah it kinda bugs that they take the most functional character on this show and breaks her   in ways that don't totally make sense. As far as her eatery is concerned, some of Gina's questionable decisions, I believe, are due to her constantly having to pull the weight for an absentee partner.

In other news, Delilah and Gary were tolerable for the first time in ages. Loved that he finally stepped up and publicly made Katherine feel welcome. Time will tell if Delilah will pull her weight in the business. Also, on a shall note, I wish someone would do something about D's hair. Always looks like a messy bird''s nest, lol.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, TheLotusFlower said:

The whole purpose for him being on the show seemed to be to just distract Katherine while she was already vulnerable which would make him look like a better choice for partner.  But then we never see him again, so what was the point?  Maybe he was just a plot device to make Eddie realize he still loves Katherine and wants to fight for his marriage. 

Maybe they wanted to have Katharine sleep with someone so she and Eddie would be "even"?

15 hours ago, bamlouie said:

And I was beyond frustrated that the show made Katherine do the heavy lifting of resolving the tension between her and the group. I was so mad that it was up to her to let THEM off the hook for never giving her the time of day during all of this drama, and actually had her say “So, while I appreciate everyone looking out for me...”. Um, what Katherine? You’re actually going to excuse them for ignoring you throughout this situation by rationalizing that it was all to spare your feelings and avoid making the situation awkward for you?!!! No show! You do not make Katherine fall on the sword of this whole mess.

This. The victim has to make everyone else feel better. F**k that.

• Love 4
On 10/24/2019 at 5:50 AM, debraran said:

I understand lust and how affairs can be heated but every time I see Eddie I think of him and Delilah making fun of their spouses and planning their escape. It was like they were kids leaving home to run away with their unlikable boyfriend, not adults with children and responsibilities. What if "Katie" wants Indian food again or things get boring.  That type of immaturity doesn't change quickly in real life and we will see how it plays out here. Still not sure why writers wanted this baby, just to have Sophie and others angry at Delilah? It doesn't seem many are. Just a tired plot twist, keep waiting for something fresh.

Regina and Rome are my two favorite characters.  I agree with you in regards to the direction they seem to be going regarding her not wanting kids.  It will be very insulting if she just magically decides to want children after she has healed a bit more from her past trauma.  I am one of those people who always knew that I never wanted children, and it's crazy how many people refuse to simply accept that at face value.  When I was really young, on up through high school, any time I said that I didn't ever want to have kids, people would always tell me that I was too young and I'd change my mind later.  Mind you, I never once heard anybody tell a girl (no matter how young) that she was too young to decide she DOES want to be a mom when she grew up.  Later when I was in my 20s, my story remained the same: I don't want kids.  By that time people were saying, oh, you just haven't met the right person yet.  You'll want them once you fall in love.  Nope.  I fell in love, and still didn't want kids.  Now I'm in my 40s, and there are still some people trying to tell me that it's never too late, I could adopt, etc.  They are seriously keeping hope alive, even though I slapped a closed sign on my uterus ages ago.  It's insane!  Some women do not want to have children.  Full stop.  There's no but, no unless, no until.  It would be great if they'd let Gina remain one of those women, but somehow I doubt it.  While I generally love Rome, it annoyed the hell out of me that he just assumed Gina would be ok with having kids at some point, even though they had clearly discussed the topic before getting married.  She did't say maybe, she said no.  The whole do you want to have kids question is one of those issues where both people definitely need to be on the same page before getting married, instead of silently hoping you can sway them in your direction later on down the road.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, TheLotusFlower said:

Regina and Rome are my two favorite characters.  I agree with you in regards to the direction they seem to be going regarding her not wanting kids.  It will be very insulting if she just magically decides to want children after she has healed a bit more from her past trauma.  I am one of those people who always knew that I never wanted children, and it's crazy how many people refuse to simply accept that at face value.  When I was really young, on up through high school, any time I said that I didn't ever want to have kids, people would always tell me that I was too young and I'd change my mind later.  Mind you, I never once heard anybody tell a girl (no matter how young) that she was too young to decide she DOES want to be a mom when she grew up.  Later when I was in my 20s, my story remained the same: I don't want kids.  By that time people were saying, oh, you just haven't met the right person yet.  You'll want them once you fall in love.  Nope.  I fell in love, and still didn't want kids.  Now I'm in my 40s, and there are still some people trying to tell me that it's never too late, I could adopt, etc.  They are seriously keeping hope alive, even though I slapped a closed sign on my uterus ages ago.  It's insane!  Some women do not want to have children.  Full stop.  There's no but, no unless, no until.  It would be great if they'd let Gina remain one of those women, but somehow I doubt it.  While I generally love Rome, it annoyed the hell out of me that he just assumed Gina would be ok with having kids at some point, even though they had clearly discussed the topic before getting married.  She did't say maybe, she said no.  The whole do you want to have kids question is one of those issues where both people definitely need to be on the same page before getting married, instead of silently hoping you can sway them in your direction later on down the road.

Yes to all of this! I don't understand why people think it's their job to convince other people they secretly DO want to have kids. It's great if you want kids or you have kids, but don't try to tell me that I do too. It's one of the few things where people still feel entitled to lecture you about how you feel and what you want.

It's so rare to see a woman on tv who doesn't want kids (most tv shows make their female characters go all soft and gooey at the sight or mere mention of babies), so I would really like to see Gina stay that way rather than magically changing her mind and then being completeyl fulfilled with being a mom. It's okay not to want kids!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yes to all of this! I don't understand why people think it's their job to convince other people they secretly DO want to have kids. It's great if you want kids or you have kids, but don't try to tell me that I do too. It's one of the few things where people still feel entitled to lecture you about how you feel and what you want.

It's so rare to see a woman on tv who doesn't want kids (most tv shows make their female characters go all soft and gooey at the sight or mere mention of babies), so I would really like to see Gina stay that way rather than magically changing her mind and then being completeyl fulfilled with being a mom. It's okay not to want kids!

It's one of the last taboos they put on females on TV, you are somehow abnormal to not want to have children. What I've sadly seen too, in my own life, were at least 2 women who had husbands very much into their work, long hours etc and didn't want kids. They liked their lifestyle without them and just their wives. The women both felt once they had them, they'd change (another tired saying) Both didn't. One was ok with the kids but worked just as much and didn't help out at home at all. The other ended up divorced and the father missed many visits and was behind in child support often. Rome isn't like that but babies aren't just dolls who smell good and sleep. You have to be prepared for any scenario. On TV, they disappear after the cuteness wears off. ; )

Since Nash knows or hears about most of the stories, I feel a baby will come but like you, hope one day you see people that represent everyone and not make a choice called "selfish" by fans or unhealthy.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, TheLotusFlower said:

"You can always adopt" - that one stuck out in my memory. It's something someone said to me after my first husband got his vasectomy. He absolutely, positively, didn't want children. I was neutral. But if he was that certain, I didn't want to keep taking birth control that gave me all sorts of problems. So I might have suggested it to him - which then made me the guilty party with some of his friends.

I now have grown kids who don't want children ( with a different, better, husband), and I've promised them they'll never get pressure from me to have them. I have no great desire to have a grandchild, and I respect their self-knowledge.

While people do sometimes change their minds I believe it is none of anyone's business and everyone needs to make that choice on their own.

So I would really hate to see Regina change her mind, or have an oopsie pregnancy (which I've seen in a couple of other series too, and hated).

Edited by Clanstarling
3 hours ago, debraran said:

Since Nash knows or hears about most of the stories, I feel a baby will come but like you, hope one day you see people that represent everyone and not make a choice called "selfish" by fans or unhealthy.

I find that point of view very strange. I can't think of anything less selfish and more healthy than knowing your limits and deciding not to bring another life into the world.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

So I would really hate to see Regina change her mind, or have an oopsie pregnancy (which I've seen in a couple of other series too, and hated).

I would also hate if their "compromise" was that they adopt an older child. For me, that's NOT a compromise because Regina would STILL have a kid. And I don't think that her stance on not wanting kids should only be about babies or young children. 

I'd rather their compromise be that Rome is a great uncle to his friends' kids and maybe he can help out at a community centre or something as a mentor. He can get the fulfillment of children/teenagers without needing to go home to one. 

That's why I've feared the Regina/Rome children situation since they first brought it up in early season 1, and I'll always be worried about it until the show ends. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I would also hate if their "compromise" was that they adopt an older child. For me, that's NOT a compromise because Regina would STILL have a kid. And I don't think that her stance on not wanting kids should only be about babies or young children. 

I'd rather their compromise be that Rome is a great uncle to his friends' kids and maybe he can help out at a community centre or something as a mentor. He can get the fulfillment of children/teenagers without needing to go home to one. 

That's why I've feared the Regina/Rome children situation since they first brought it up in early season 1, and I'll always be worried about it until the show ends. 

You're absolutely right. Adoption is not a compromise. That's only a compromise if your objection to having a child is that you don't want to experience pregnancy and childbirth.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

You're absolutely right. Adoption is not a compromise. That's only a compromise if your objection to having a child is that you don't want to experience pregnancy and childbirth.

My mom pointed out they left Mary Tyler Moore alone back in the day, happy older single woman and without children but if she  got married? 

Babies are cute but they can have a lot of issues too and a lifelong responsibility. I hate how choices are made because of cute babies or little outfits. I see so many fans hating Regina and Rome is a saint which is so unfair. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, debraran said:

My mom pointed out they left Mary Tyler Moore alone back in the day, happy older single woman and without children but if she  got married? 

Babies are cute but they can have a lot of issues too and a lifelong responsibility. I hate how choices are made because of cute babies or little outfits. I see so many fans hating Regina and Rome is a saint which is so unfair. 

They did. Mary was pretty unique - she was a single, professional woman with a past (even had implied sex on one episode, pretty progressive for the time). Rhoda - in her spin off - did get married, but I don't think there was much "you gotta have a baby" talk.  James L Brooks (MTM, Rhoda) and Norman Lear (All in the Family, Maude, One Day at a Time) had a number of strong women characters who were often career women on the shows they created in the 70's. Come to think of it, in Norman's reboot of One Day at a Time, he had the lead character break up a good relationship because she didn't want to have any more babies, and he wanted to be a father. She did not change her mind, though they did get back together, he changed his. (as I recall)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1