Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: The Perfect Storm

• Start Topic

A bit over the top with drama. Don't restaurants have generators? I hope it works for Regina but it did seem odd. Good publicity will follow.

I didn't like the Eddie/Rome stuff, although Charlie is cute. I felt for Katherine, her pain in palatable. Deliah pretty much sits as she helps but maybe she will have more interaction with Katherine and Sophie will overhear. I did like Sophie taking the picture, lol, my only smile.

The way they brought the donor story line about I didn't like, Eric finding her and her husband at least knowing but Mom not telling her because he suffered a little, a bit much.  Maggie lied to them too about cancer and recurrence so she isn't void of those sins. Parents having favorites is hard, that part resonates but something still feels "off".

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5

Maggie's mom is a goddamn idiot. Who the hell does that? Bring some strange guy to breakfast and tell your daughter that he has her dead brother's heart, right in front of him, when she didn't even know that you donated his organs in the first place? That whole scene was so stupid.

And Eddie's kid is just too cute. (I don't mean that in a good way.) And completely oblivious. Even a nine-year-old should be able to tell that Katherine is not happy. And what the hell time does his school start that they have time to visit the baby and do a ukulele concert for her on the way there?

If Delilah is "going back to work" shouldn't she be hiring a real nanny instead of getting her friends to babysit? And what is her job there, anyway? She was supposed to be the decorator, right? That's not really an ongoing sort of thing.

Of course heart recipient has a sob story (aside from needing a new heart, of course) to make Maggie feel bad.

I guess it's nice to see them act like they actually think of Katherine as a friend...

"Murder is illegal, and bad for business." I so wanted Katherine to slap Delilah.

These people just sign shit without even looking at it...loan applications, legal papers about your house...

Sorry...this show is making me sweary tonight.

• LOL 7
  • Love 13

Talking about Charlie’s parentage in Delilahs house is reckless. The kids could walk in anytime and overhear. Eddie better worry  about how his own son is going to react to that news when it comes out. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I so wanted Katherine and Regina to slap Delilah.

I felt a need to edit. I just started watching the show this season, and can't stand Delilah. Yes, Katherine is a saint for tolerating Delilah but also Regina, not Delilah, is the one putting all of herself into the restaurant - so Delilah can shut her snarky mouth. I almost laughed at Delilah's comment that she can understand the pain in the situation with Maggie and her mother because she's a mom and moms want to protect their kids. Really?! Were you thinking about protecting your two children while screwing your daughter's teacher/husband's best friend? When her teenager daughter finds out about the affair and baby Charlie's paternity, Delilah better run for cover.

• Love 14

Maggie was really grating on my nerves tonight. I guess I get why she'd be upset over her mom lying about how Chad died but....at the same time....he still died from an accident. The only thing Maggie's mom really lied about was that he was still alive until she got there.

It just feels contrived for whatever reason. On the plus side, Jason Ritter is amazing, so Eric is great, AND I hope he sticks around. I don't care if his sob story was cliche. Jason Ritter killed it in that scene.

The baby Charlie stuff with Eddie/Rome? Meh, still was hoping that baby Charlie wouldn't be Eddie's because things are complicated. I don't get why Eddie isn't concerned with how Theo will react. We all saw how Katherine reacted.

Meanwhile, yes, Katherine IS a saint. Thanks for pointing it out, Delilah!

Who, by the way, is still awful. So, Delilah's a partner...but what does she do? So I didn't get how she was bitching about how this was equally as important (the restaurant) as it was for Regina...which is utter bullshit. At least Regina reignited her passion and reminded herself why she loves her job.

I am glad for Katherine to finally be brought in to the fold, if only because she'll actually get something to do. And I want her to be happy, so....let's just hope things actually go well with her and Eddie, even if I think she deserves to walk away with Theo from Eddie and his mess of a group.

I love Katherine's friend. At least she finally got to talk to someone.

I noted that moment of Eddie accidentally being handed a drink, so I presume his relapse is impending at some point this season. Those moments are only added if they'll come up later this season. Maybe it'll be due to him finding out that Charlie isn't his? Just so Katherine ISN'T stuck with Delilah forever? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, debraran said:

The way they brought the donor story line about I didn't like, Eric finding her and her husband at least knowing but Mom not telling her because he suffered a little, a bit much.  Maggie lied to them too about cancer and recurrence so she isn't void of those sins. Parents having favorites is hard, that part resonates but something still feels "off".

I think it is terrible the mom lied to her husband about how their child died and what happened to his organs. I am less bothered by lying to Maggie, but that may be because Maggie is super annoying.

This may sound cold, but Maggie needs to get over her childhood issues and act like an adult with her parents.  Her mom is allowed to talk to other people on the same day Maggie had surgery. Didn't she not even want her parents to come?

53 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

And Eddie's kid is just too cute. (I don't mean that in a good way.) And completely oblivious. Even a nine-year-old should be able to tell that Katherine is not happy. And what the hell time does his school start that they have time to visit the baby and do a ukulele concert for her on the way there?

Until they mentioned his age recently, I thought he was supposed to be about six. He seems too naive to be nine. I think he is cute normally, but I feel like his mind will not be able to compute the idea of Eddie being that baby's father.

On TV people always have time to do all sorts of things before school or their workday starts. They visit each other, eat sit down meals in restaurants, and all sorts of stuff real people never do. I'm lucky I get out my door on time to go straight to work and arrive on time.

49 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Talking about Charlie’s parentage in Delilahs house is reckless. The kids could walk in anytime and overhear. Eddie better worry  about how his own son is going to react to that news when it comes out. 

The kids are totally going to walk in and overhear during some sweeps month. I'm guessing Sophie finds out first and then we spend three more episodes of her freaking out and Danny wondering why. Then Danny will find out right before his opening night on Grease.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
36 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

This may sound cold, but Maggie needs to get over her childhood issues and act like an adult with her parents.  Her mom is allowed to talk to other people on the same day Maggie had surgery. Didn't she not even want her parents to come?

You are not cold at all. Maggie is a brat. I'm sorry, but she is. I have zero sympathy for her. I don't even care that the mom lied about how the brother died. Who cares? Your brother is dead regardless. The mom donated his organs.  As a cancer patient, I would think Maggie wouldn't have an issue w/that. 

But all the storming out and running away is too much. She is what . . . 35-years old . . . . and a therapist/psychiatrist but can't handle her own emotions better than that! As you also pointed out, I'm going to need her to stop whining about her mom not loving her and move past these lame issues! Her mom obviously loves her, but I guess if her mom isn't focused on her 24/7 then Maggie just can't know! I thought it was obnoxious last week when she got upset that her mom was visiting someone else while in town, and now she's angry that her mom sought out her dead child's donor recipient b/c she was in the hospital at the time?!?! I just can't w/her. She is very childish and annoying to me.  

• Love 20
15 minutes ago, lala2 said:

You are not cold at all. Maggie is a brat. I'm sorry, but she is. I have zero sympathy for her. I don't even care that the mom lied about how the brother died. Who cares? Your brother is dead regardless. The mom donated his organs.  As a cancer patient, I would think Maggie wouldn't have an issue w/that. 

I guess she felt lied to and betrayed...but I don't really understand that.  I guess their history doesn't lend itself to giving her mother the benefit of the doubt. 

I have never warmed up to Maggie, and this whole thing is overwrought, so half this episode was such a chore for me to watch. I like Ritter, though, so he could be a fun addition.  This show could definitely use some fun.

Which brings me to Katherine.  It upsets me that she is the one who has to keep swallowing her feelings.  I wish she weren't getting back together with Eddie.  Co-parenting, ok.  But otherwise, I wish she had more self-esteem to realize Eddie drags her down and she does not need him.  She can do so much better.  Let him deal with his own mess. 

Katherine should have sent a messenger to deliver those papers to Delilah - you know she'd forget to sign them and send them back.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, izabella said:

I guess she felt lied to and betrayed...but I don't really understand that.  I guess their history doesn't lend itself to giving her mother the benefit of the doubt. 

I have never warmed up to Maggie, and this whole thing is overwrought, so half this episode was such a chore for me to watch. I like Ritter, though, so he could be a fun addition.  This show could definitely use some fun.

Which brings me to Katherine.  It upsets me that she is the one who has to keep swallowing her feelings.  I wish she weren't getting back together with Eddie.  Co-parenting, ok.  But otherwise, I wish she had more self-esteem to realize Eddie drags her down and she does not need him.  She can do so much better.  Let him deal with his own mess. 

Katherine should have sent a messenger to deliver those papers to Delilah - you know she'd forget to sign them and send them back.

Overwrought is the word, if she wasn't a psychologist who obviously can't take any of her own advice, she wouldn't seem so annoying. Nothing against the actress, she is given pretty bad scripts at times. Kathryn though makes them work better and even Nash is one of his many comments, said she "nails it".

I laughed at your line about a messenger, only on a soap does the woman who is cheated on have to bring legal papers to her husband's mistress so she can keep her house. Of course Delilah would sign them in the dark without reading them, for all she knows she gave it to Kathryn.  ; )

I see they will have Delilah talking about suicide in another show, on radio or TV which is annoying but maybe the children will also. She is no expert on it and it only touched her financially. If she doesn't wise up that way, she might be in dire straights again.

The holiday ratings boost will be Sophie overhearing about Eddie and will end that way, next show maybe weeks later will be he confrontation. (well a good guess)

Only in "soap land" will everyone know who Charlie's dad is and think 2 teens wont know who live in the same house. : )

• Love 3

I hate that Maggie had to ask her mom who the hell Eric was. Why were the four of them sitting around pretending to have a polite meal instead of anyone addressing the elephant in the room immediately? Oh, right, the ~drama~ of it all.

Poor Eric. First Patricia didn't tell Maggie that she was bringing him so he got ambushed, then he found out that Eugene made Patricia choose between the two of them. As Gary said, Eric is just a poor guy who needed a heart. He didn't ask to get mixed up in all of his messy family drama. Jason Ritter brings so much charm and heart to all the characters he plays, so I hope that Eric will be sticking around.

Theo playing the ukelele and singing to the baby was adorable.

Albert is awesome. While Gina was wallowing about the blackout and all the meat going bad without electricity, Albert came up with the most logical plan (pack everything into the walk in and bring in all the ice from the bar) and executed it. She's lucky to have someone who stays positive and level headed in an emergency.

Uhhh, why do Gina and Delilah think that eating family style should be the restaurant's thing? I don't mind talking to strangers, but if I go out for dinner with Mr. EB or my friends, I want to talk to them, not whatever rando is next to me at the commune tabes (RIP You're the Worst).

Eddie can suck it. "If I could, I'd take back all the harm I caused this past year, but not you, Charlotte." Well, how do you propose you would magically erase cheating on your wife with your best friend's wife but still end up with a child? Just please STFU with your faux regret and self pity. When he told Rome, "I just had a child with another woman as I'm trying to patch things up with my wife," I just rolled my eyes. Now he's referring to Delilah as "another woman," as if she's just some random hook up (s opposed to his best friend's wife who he was going to leave his wife for).

Delilah can also suck it. She saw that Katherine was upset about seeing her cheating husband, his mistress, and their child together and somehow Delilah thought that SHE should go talk to Katherine instead of Eddie?

I understand if Eugene doesn't want to have a relationship with Eric. That's totally his choice and it's okay if he has no interest in knowing Eric. But why does Patricia have to choose between Eugene and Eric? She should be allowed to be in contact with Eric and have a relationship with him if she wants to. No, Eric, is not Chad, but I understand why she feels a connection with him because part of her son is inside of him.

7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Maggie was really grating on my nerves tonight. I guess I get why she'd be upset over her mom lying about how Chad died but....at the same time....he still died from an accident. The only thing Maggie's mom really lied about was that he was still alive until she got there.

I felt the same way. Yes, her mom lied about exactly when Chad died, but the end result is the same - Chad is dead and Maggie didn't get to say goodbye to him. Does it really matter if he was dead by the time the paramedics arrived at the scene or at the hospital? And even though he was technically alive when he got to the hospital, he was not conscious. He died as soon as Patricia went into the room so it's not like she was able to have a long conversation with him or anything. I mean, seriously, Chad died all of ten minutes later than Maggie originally thought he did. How does that impact her in any way? The end result is the same - her brother is gone.

7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

On TV people always have time to do all sorts of things before school or their workday starts. They visit each other, eat sit down meals in restaurants, and all sorts of stuff real people never do. I'm lucky I get out my door on time to go straight to work and arrive on time.

Ha, same here. I always wonder if these people don't have to be at work until noon or if they just get up at 5am so they have time to hang out, have meals together, and otherwise enjoy some leisure time before work. I'm always running out the door with only one arm inside my coat and barely getting to work as it is!

• Love 17
23 hours ago, snarkylady said:

Was I the only one hoping Katherine had switched the legal papers and was really tricking Delilah?  And does that make me a bad person?  

Not the only one. I thought it was to give Eddie custody, but I like this better. Katherine owns Delilah. Man, that's sweet revenge. 

Speechless at Delilah's outburst at Regina .. and Regina taking it. Is this a theme with Regina? I so hope the show writes in an arc where the friends all wise up and ostracize Delilah for being the needy, entitled princess she is. She can have her own spin-off where she lives on her own in LA (because Charlie would stay with Eddie, and Sophia and Danny go to Gary) and finds herself. And it would be canceled in 6 episodes because no one cares enough to watch it. 

Maggie's sweater was beautiful. (I don't get how it would dry off so quickly, though.)

Side note - what does this show have against Indian food? In the first episode, Eddie was complaining about Katherine getting Indian takeout all the time, and sometime this season Maggie was also complaining about it. 

Rome is still my favorite. He's just so ride or die. I want the show to explore his psyche more, rather than the never ending drama with Maggie. 

Edited by kazza
don't post while eating breakfast
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Albert is awesome. While Gina was wallowing about the blackout and all the meat going bad without electricity, Albert came up with the most logical plan (pack everything into the walk in and bring in all the ice from the bar) and executed it. She's lucky to have someone who stays positive and level headed in an emergency.

It seems like Albert is a better partner than Delilah is. Who...had just given a speech about how her and Regina are in this together and then...comes up with absolutely nothing to help the restaurant. But hey, she did stand by the door to seat people! That's something!

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

It seems like Albert is a better partner than Delilah is. Who...had just given a speech about how her and Regina are in this together and then...comes up with absolutely nothing to help the restaurant. But hey, she did stand by the door to seat people! That's something!

And she helped move a table! She's indispensable!

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, lala2 said:

She is very childish and annoying to me.

The pink hair kinda doesn't help that image, either. 

Does it really happen that way, that someone has to decide right now if they want to donate the organs and can't even wait until their other parent (who was presumably on the way) gets there? I know there's a window of time after which they'll no longer be able to use them, but do they have to harvest them immediately after the heart stops?

• Love 3

I'm confused, did Regina serve dinner to all those people for free? The first guy I know was for free but then she told him to invite his friends. So did Regina cook for a packed restaurant for free just so the food didn't spoil? Or did the new people pay, especially the people that came after the power came on? I guess this is one of those 'you have to spend money to make money' situations. I feel like in the real world, you would be practical and just do as Albert suggested, since the power could literally come back on at any time. I guess we are also to assume that the entire kitchen is powered by gas? This show is so disconnected from reality sometimes that it really bothers me. It is supposed to be a charming little plot twist and instead i'm sitting there like, WTF? 

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I know there's a window of time after which they'll no longer be able to use them, but do they have to harvest them immediately after the heart stops?

I think it's a very short time after the heart stops because blood is no longer pumping to the other organs.  But in this scenario, it was the heart so I'm not sure. It was obviously put on ice for some time if the donor was in Boston and they lived in Chicago (I think its Chicago). This is of course making the assumption that Eric is a born and bred Bostonian, which we don't know. There are a lot of plot holes in this show.  

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Almost the only thing I like, currently, about Maggie is her pink hair.

I would NOT tend to go to a family style restaurant. I don't want to eat with strangers, thnx, or make strangers into pals. It might be nice, on a dark stormy nite, for a one-off, but is that gonna become the theme of the restaurant? No, thank you.

• Love 14

Why would Delilah and Regina's somewhat fancy restaurant be open for breakfast? And why would she make that random construction guy linguine with clams for breakfast? And how would all those people (lawyers and students -- because apparently they're near Porter Square which seems unlikely too) show up FOR BREAKFAST? I mean, I guess you could argue that it was finally lunch by the end of the episode when everyone was doing shots and Eddie was accidentally getting served whiskey, but Jesus, this show does the dumbest shit like this all the time. Juxtaposing that whole restaurant drama with Theo needing to get to school, Katherine needing to get to work, and Maggie and her crew eating bagels (which, who has dramatic conversations and surprise guests at a WEEKDAY BREAKFAST? DO NONE OF THESE PEOPLE HAVE JOBS?!) made zero sense.

Lol, it's the stupid shit like this that gets me every time.

That out of the way -- agreed with everyone that Maggie was the worst this episode, Delilah is oblivious as usual, Katherine should not be making it work, Eddie's self-pitying is not a good look, Theo's too precocious, and Jason Ritter is too good for this show.

I struggled with Regina this week too -- I didn't get her sudden complete lack of coping/believing the restaurant was doomed because of one power outage at breakfast. 

And I like Gary the best of all these regular yahoos, but I'm baffled at how hard the show retcons that Katherine was always part of the group and ESPECIALLY Gary, who seemed to hate her the worst, suddenly being the one to check on her and give her hugs. None of that made any sense. But then the whole Eddie does actually love Katherine and chooses her makes no sense either based on S1 so.... whatever I guess.

Edited by taragel
  • Love 13
10 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Almost the only thing I like, currently, about Maggie is her pink hair.

I like the pink hair, generally. It's cute, when she's not acting like a petulant child.

8 minutes ago, taragel said:

(which, who has dramatic conversations and surprise guests at a WEEKDAY BREAKFAST? DO NONE OF THESE PEOPLE HAVE JOBS?!) made zero sense.

I kept thinking maybe it was Saturday or Sunday...but then I remembered that they were needing to get to school and work.

I wish I could work so little and have such a nice place to live.

• Love 4

So much of the writing in this episode just seemed sloppy.

-As has been mentioned, most of the action takes place on a weekday, because the kids are at school.  Does Gary not have a job to go to?

-Why is Gary so mad that Maggie talked to Eric?  She didn't have her phone, so she couldn't have called him to talk.  And Gary knows that Maggie and Eric literally just met.  Could he be THAT jealous and possessive that quickly?  He hasn't been portrayed that way before.

-Why did Maggie's mother say to Gary with complete confusion, "Why are you here?"  when she opened the door to him.  Maggie's mother has been texting Maggie furiously, and Gary shows up at her door.  Wouldn't the natural thing to be for Maggie's mother to assume that Maggie sent him, or that something had happened to Maggie and Gary came to tell her?  But Maggie's mother seems to think it completely odd for Gary to be coming by.

-How did Regina cook a pasta dish with clams if there is no power?  I guess the stoves could be gas, but she probably would have said that when she presented the dish.

-When Gary comes to the restaurant, he says something like, "Now I know to pull the power if I want a free meal here."  So I think the restaurant gave away all those meals.  No wonder it was packed at lunchtime!  And now Regina, besides paying for any spoiled food, has to pay for linen laundry, non-perishable items, etc, for free meals, at a time when she is wondering about the finances.  

-The "We're wearing pants" line was funny, but, in all seriousness, why ARE they wearing pants?  They're the best of friends, in someone else's home with no change of clothing, and getting into the shower.  It looked like Eddie was wearing jeans, which will take a very long time to dry.  Do they even know if John's clothes are still in the house for them to change into?  I guess maybe they could be going commando and feeling shy (although neither one seems that kind of shy), but would both of them happen to have been going commando on the same day?  They both have been shown in their underwear in prior episodes.

-I believe Maggie has an iPhone, in which case shouldn't all of her unread texts show up on the screen, not just the one from Eric?  Her mother has sent her a million.

C'mon, writers!  Tighten things up!

I also don't like the way Regina is being portrayed.  She is way too emotional about her business decisions.  First, Andrew tries to get Regina to understand the business side, then here Albert comes up with the plans in a crisis while Regina flounders.  I guess the writers want us to believe that Regina can't run a business without a level-headed man to help.

Edited by mikem
  • Love 10
41 minutes ago, mikem said:

-Why is Gary so mad that Maggie talked to Eric?  She didn't have her phone, so she couldn't have called him to talk.  And Gary knows that Maggie and Eric literally just met.  Could he be THAT jealous and possessive that quickly?  He hasn't been portrayed that way before.

Possessive was exactly the word I was thinking about almost all of the characters all throughout this episode.

First, Eugene makes Patricia choose between him and Eric. WTF? She can't have a relationship with Eric and be married? And she's not a moron, I bet she knows that Eric is not her son. For crying out loud, there is nothing wrong with having a connection like that with someone who you share that kind of experience with, IMO. Yes, you can take it over the top but Patricia didn't seem to from my point of view.

Second, Maggie is SO angry that Patricia visited Eric last time she was in Boston when Maggie had her surgery and for visiting both of them this time around. GASP. Patricia came to see more than one person in Boston! How dare she???

Third, Gary is all bent out of shape that Maggie was talking to Eric, hugged him once and didn't want to talk to Gary immediately about all the news she had just learned THAT DAY. How dare she take time to process her emotions and not immediately share everything with Gary?

I don't know if this counts, but Delilah got all angry at Regina for FEELING THINGS. Doesn't she know that Delilah ALSO FEELS THINGS? How dare Regina think about herself when Delilah wants her to acknowledge Delilah, too?

You can care about more than one person! I don't get how these people get so hurt over that fact.

Also, I thought it very odd for Gary to offer advice to Patricia about reconnecting with Eugene. He barely knows her. Plus, doesn't he want Maggie to have a chance to patch things up with her mother before she leaves? 

Am I the only one who thinks it is very unfair that Eddie doesn't have joint custody of his daughter? All because Delilah wants to lie to her other children?

Edited by DoubleUTeeEff
changed did to didn't
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Also, I thought it very odd for Gary to offer advice to Patricia about reconnecting with Eugene. He barely knows her. Plus, doesn't he want Maggie to have a chance to patch things up with her mother before she leaves? 

Am I the only one who thinks it is very unfair that Eddie doesn't have joint custody of his daughter? All because Delilah wants to lie to her other children?

I think in any custody issue, a DNA test is needed. Delilah seems unaware of Jon having a vasectomy and if he did or didn't, there wasn't a witness except the doctor. I still feel, since Nash loves the soap part of the show, any new twist will be fun for him. But will Charlie be Jon's or the other young man PJ?  Hmmm

This might happen in real life but I feel it's  a little over the top, no one can be free of any baggage which is a little odd. It is so cliche and tawdry to have the lovers baby, I can't help but feel the writers want to change that but maybe I'm hoping for something fresh and there wont be.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Second, Maggie is SO angry that Patricia visited Eric last time she was in Boston when Maggie had her surgery and for visiting both of them this time around. GASP. Patricia came to see more than one person in Boston! How dare she???

Patricia has kept Eric a secret from Maggie until this moment. It is clear that Patricia feels that somehow communicating with/having a relationship with Eric keeps her connected to her late son. He is the closest thing Patricia has to a resurrected Chad.  Maggie just told Eric that her mother and brother had a relationship/connection that she wasn't a part of; clearly she is still jealous of that. Gary (because he also doesn't know about Eric) tells Maggie why else would your mother come to Boston with the idea of living here unless she wants a real/close relationship with you. Maggie has a glimmer of hope that her's mom visit when she had surgery and her proposal to move to Boston means finally, she is her mother's priority. Now it turns out Patricia wanted to be near both Maggie and her sort of resurrected son. So from Maggie's perspective, her mother is making someone who's not even her actual son as important in her life as her real daughter.  

My impression is that Patricia is sort of downplaying to Maggie and Gary her association with Eric because deep down she knows her actions disrespect her family, including her late son. She may have started out reaching out to Eric because she was afraid Maggie would die, but now she's visiting him and touching his hair like they're close. She says her husband Eugene said Eric is not my son and will never be my son, which means she was most likely trying to push Eugene to accept Eric as family/resurrected Chad - all the while withholding really important information from her daughter about why she and the father are separated. That is unhealthy behavior. What Patricia needs is a support group for grieving parents, not to latch on to the recipient of her late's son heart like he's a lifeline.  

I think in a different situation, Maggie wouldn't be so upset. Like if Patricia knew an old college friend moved to the area and they wanted to catch up and she told Maggie that, it would be fine. Right now Patricia is coming off as self-absorbed as well as an idiot in how she's handling things with her daughter, husband and Eric.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Does it really happen that way, that someone has to decide right now if they want to donate the organs and can't even wait until their other parent (who was presumably on the way) gets there? I know there's a window of time after which they'll no longer be able to use them, but do they have to harvest them immediately after the heart stops?

The storyline was totally made up.  First, the brother would have to be placed on life support so his organs could be used, he would also have to meet criteria for brain death, which isn't something done immediately, then, various teams of surgeons would need to be assembled to harvest the organs.  In real life, there would've been a couple of days between his admission to the hospital and the harvesting of the organs. A family would not be expected to make an immediate decision.  His heart would stop in the OR as they removed it.  All of her blather about not wanting her husband and daughter to know that their son/brother didn't die immediately was total BS, too.  He wasn't conscious, he was apparently brain dead on arrival; he didn't suffer, he wasn't there anymore even if his heart was beating.

The mother's story  explaining why she never told her husband or daughter about the organ donation makes no sense, either.  Why wouldn't she tell them?  Wouldn't they find it comforting to know his organs were helping others?  When they got to the hospital, what happened when they wanted to see his body?  Most people would want to get a final look at their loved one.  What would she tell them?  He was busy in the OR?

Mom's reasons for keeping it secret were just as nonsensical as Maggie's for being angry about it.

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

The storyline was totally made up.  First, the brother would have to be placed on life support so his organs could be used, he would also have to meet criteria for brain death, which isn't something done immediately, then, various teams of surgeons would need to be assembled to harvest the organs.  In real life, there would've been a couple of days between his admission to the hospital and the harvesting of the organs. A family would not be expected to make an immediate decision.  His heart would stop in the OR as they removed it.  All of her blather about not wanting her husband and daughter to know that their son/brother didn't die immediately was total BS, too.  He wasn't conscious, he was apparently brain dead on arrival; he didn't suffer, he wasn't there anymore even if his heart was beating.

The mother's story  explaining why she never told her husband or daughter about the organ donation makes no sense, either.  Why wouldn't she tell them?  Wouldn't they find it comforting to know his organs were helping others?  When they got to the hospital, what happened when they wanted to see his body?  Most people would want to get a final look at their loved one.  What would she tell them?  He was busy in the OR?

Mom's reasons for keeping it secret were just as nonsensical as Maggie's for being angry about it.

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't think it would be that simple.

And yeah, the suffering bit bothered me. He wasn't aware of anything, how was he suffering?

• Love 3

I had the impression the power outage was during dinner, not breakfast, because Katherine had already been to work and brought with her the papers for Delilah to sign.

I guess now we know why Maggie acts like such a self-centered brat - apparently her father does, too! (I do like her pink wig... if I were ever in her situation I’d want to do something like that just for fun. Plus I wouldn’t feel as self-conscious worrying about whether or not people could tell it was a wig.)

• Love 7
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

nd what the hell time does his school start that they have time to visit the baby and do a ukulele concert for her on the way there?

That whole scene was ridiculous.  Who goes to someone's home at like 7 or 8 am in the morning to bring a gift.  Also, most boys Theo's age would have no interest in a parent's friend's newborn infant. I found the Theo scene playing the ukulele very corny.  Long before going to see the baby, Eddie, Katherine and Delilah should have had sit-down.  

Maggie certainly goes overboard.  What a cry baby, she should be happy her brother was able to help someone else live.  Have zero sympathy for her.

The Restaurant storyline does not interest me at all, so I mostly zone out.  Except when I wondered where Charlie and Theo were?

Not sure why Delilah does not hire a nanny instead of asking all her male friends with no baby experience to watch her kid who is like 2 or 3 weeks old.  Still can't stand Delilah.

• Love 15

Most scenes in this show are unlikely at best, but somehow I still want to watch.

Ritter is a good addition, although I’d think his character would be creeped out by Chad’s fawning mother and freaked out by his reactive sister. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, snarkylady said:

I didn't think so at first but after the last few episodes I agree with you. 

Likewise. During the episode I found myself wishing she’d leave Gary for Eric and thus leave the show (though I’d prefer Jason Ritter stick around).

One other thing - about Theo. It annoyed the hell out of me that Katherine agreed to go along to Delilah’s with the present just because Theo wanted to. What ever happened to “Sorry, kid, I have to get to work on time”? (Yeah, yeah, I know... “kid who must always be indulged” is yet another clunky contrivance by the writers.) 

Gotta agree Theo is written way too cutesy - he comes across like a 5- or 6-year-old when he’s supposed to be more like, I think, 9? I get the feeling that if he found out Charlie was his half sister he’d be all “Oh boy, a baby sister! She can come sleep in the tent in my room!” when a real kid would probably not be all that enthused.

I think the kid playing him really IS super adorable. Maybe that’s why the writers are going overboard with the cutesiness?

• Love 8
9 hours ago, taragel said:

Why would Delilah and Regina's somewhat fancy restaurant be open for breakfast? 

I thought it was much later in the day at that point.  Maybe the construction guy got there late afternoon and by the time other people showed up it was dinner time.  It absolutely makes no sense if that was still supposed to be the morning.

My one question was, whether restaurants are really able to serve in a power failure like that. I remember after some big storm, we had lost power for a few hours. The next day every restaurant in town was closed and most had signs about being closed because of the health department. Even in the grocery store they had blocked off all the aisles with refrigerated items.

My assumption from that, was there were laws about serving food when there had been a loss of refrigeration.

8 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Eddie hasn't actually asked for custody of her. He has pouted about not being able to call her his daughter, but he hasn't actually gone to Delilah and said he wanted more than she is offering.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

My one question was, whether restaurants are really able to serve in a power failure like that. I remember after some big storm, we had lost power for a few hours. The next day every restaurant in town was closed and most had signs about being closed because of the health department. Even in the grocery store they had blocked off all the aisles with refrigerated items.

I was wondering that myself. I googled a little but I didn't find anything about specific laws on the subject. I did find something about having maybe a few hours before refrigerators start getting too warm. Also, unless everything is gas, they would run out of hot water for washing dishes pretty quickly.

We had a power outage over the summer (mine was only out for a total of maybe half an hour but my parents ten minutes away were out for almost 8 hours). I went to Target a couple days later and their freezer section was more than half empty.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I went to Target a couple days later and their freezer section was more than half empty.

People get really squicky about food safety and throw everything away but really you have some time so long as you don't keep opening and closing the refrigerator/freezer.   A restaurant would have strict standards for food safety, but they would also have thermometers to make sure that the food stayed within the safe zone.   

I don't care about Eddie or Deliliah or Charlie but I wish somebody would acknowledge that by keeping this info from Delilah's family they are robbing Theo of his sister.

Obviously the thing with Jason Ritter is going to become more of a thing but I thought Gary was too upset too quickly.  You had her phone all day then drove he to dinner with people.  she didn't have an opportunity to talk to you... and you don't know what she talked to Eric about so....   Save your jealousy for when there is something to be jealous about.

I think we're supposed to be rooting for Gina to get full control back from Delilah's friend but I'm unsure of why she wants it.   This guy has opened succesful restaurants before.  Gina has opened a failing restaurant.    I might, when I had that few reservations ask the guy with experience to guide me.   

The storm was supposed to be a triumph but these people are going to need to find other people and get them there and that's not always a given.   

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Obviously the thing with Jason Ritter is going to become more of a thing but I thought Gary was too upset too quickly.  You had her phone all day then drove he to dinner with people.  she didn't have an opportunity to talk to you... and you don't know what she talked to Eric about so....   Save your jealousy for when there is something to be jealous about.

ITA and I was disappointed that this is the route they're choosing to go with Gary. Although he's had some missteps (especially in the beginning), he has been a pretty good boyfriend lately so I hate to see him become jealous and insecure about something that he really shouldn't be jealous about. God forbid your girlfriend doesn't spill her guts to you immediately and how dare she hug someone else when she's upset and you aren't there? She didn't choose Eric over Gary but he's acting like she did.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

She didn't choose Eric over Gary but he's acting like she did.

Sometimes you can tell, though.  You get a gut feeling and you know what's up even before they'll admit it to themselves.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
On 10/17/2019 at 10:02 PM, luna1122 said:

Maggie wins the insufferable award tonite. Hard to wrest that away from delilah, but she managed. 

Really!

Maggie has been pretty neutral to  me, most of the time but this episode was UGH!

I get people being upset with family dynamics, it is normal. I get people being in a fragile state because of a serious disease, that's normal too. But the drama, the crying and almost screaming in public, the long faces, it was oo much and so unnecessary. 

• Love 13
11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was wondering that myself. I googled a little but I didn't find anything about specific laws on the subject. I did find something about having maybe a few hours before refrigerators start getting too warm. Also, unless everything is gas, they would run out of hot water for washing dishes pretty quickly.

We had a power outage over the summer (mine was only out for a total of maybe half an hour but my parents ten minutes away were out for almost 8 hours). I went to Target a couple days later and their freezer section was more than half empty.

Most business's like restaurants should have generators at least for freezer items. It's worth the money. My BIL did refrigeration for stores and they would have him on speed dial when they had an outage but they don't use them as much, a restaurant is different and has less footage so to speak. Having one for your walk in freezer is one thing, a whole section of a store something else. Most restaurants have gas stoves also. I can use my burners on my non-commercial one but not the oven as they took that feature away for safety with newer model.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, debraran said:

Most business's like restaurants should have generators at least for freezer items. It's worth the money. My BIL did refrigeration for stores and they would have him on speed dial when they had an outage but they don't use them as much, a restaurant is different and has less footage so to speak. Having one for your walk in freezer is one thing, a whole section of a store something else. Most restaurants have gas stoves also. I can use my burners on my non-commercial one but not the oven as they took that feature away for safety with newer model.

Yeah, that store has probably five or six aisles of refrigerated and frozen items. Seems like a lot to keep going on a generator for 8 hours or more (and I think it was more; I asked the cashier out of curiosity but I don't remember what she said). They also had signs on the doors about reduced energy use so there might be less lighting and A/C (though when I was there the lights looked normal and it didn't seem particularly warm inside; those signs were still up a week later, probably just in case because the weather was pretty hot that week). 

Edited by ams1001
accidentally pasted part of post from another thread
On 10/18/2019 at 10:23 AM, taragel said:

Why would Delilah and Regina's somewhat fancy restaurant be open for breakfast? And why would she make that random construction guy linguine with clams for breakfast? And how would all those people (lawyers and students -- because apparently they're near Porter Square which seems unlikely too) show up FOR BREAKFAST? I mean, I guess you could argue that it was finally lunch by the end of the episode when everyone was doing shots and Eddie was accidentally getting served whiskey, but Jesus, this show does the dumbest shit like this all the time. Juxtaposing that whole restaurant drama with Theo needing to get to school, Katherine needing to get to work, and Maggie and her crew eating bagels (which, who has dramatic conversations and surprise guests at a WEEKDAY BREAKFAST? DO NONE OF THESE PEOPLE HAVE JOBS?!) made zero sense.

Lol, it's the stupid shit like this that gets me every time.

That out of the way -- agreed with everyone that Maggie was the worst this episode, Delilah is oblivious as usual, Katherine should not be making it work, Eddie's self-pitying is not a good look, Theo's too precocious, and Jason Ritter is too good for this show.

I struggled with Regina this week too -- I didn't get her sudden complete lack of coping/believing the restaurant was doomed because of one power outage at breakfast. 

And I like Gary the best of all these regular yahoos, but I'm baffled at how hard the show retcons that Katherine was always part of the group and ESPECIALLY Gary, who seemed to hate her the worst, suddenly being the one to check on her and give her hugs. None of that made any sense. But then the whole Eddie does actually love Katherine and chooses her makes no sense either based on S1 so.... whatever I guess.

I wndered if I was the only one. Regina annoyed me the most of anyone this episode. And it wasn't even close. 

15 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Eddie hasn't actually asked for custody of her. He has pouted about not being able to call her his daughter, but he hasn't actually gone to Delilah and said he wanted more than she is offering.

I guess what irks me is that it should just be a given, not an offering or a plea. Two people made that baby so they should share the time and responsibility for her. It's not like Eddie has some high powered career that takes up a lot of his time. (Did he drop the music when Charlie was born?) He is/was? a stay at home dad so adding a second kid when your other kid is in school is not impossible. I can see the child staying with the mother for the first year if she's breastfeeding but Delilah's is not doing that. Eddie can handle a bottle.

The reason he hasn't asked is because Delilah wanted to lie to everybody about it being Jon's kid. Now the friends know but she still wants to lie to her other kids. But you are right, Eddie did go along with her lie so it's on him as much as it's on Delilah that he doesn't share custody. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

The reason he hasn't asked is because Delilah wanted to lie to everybody about it being Jon's kid. Now the friends know but she still wants to lie to her other kids. But you are right, Eddie did go along with her lie so it's on him as much as it's on Delilah that he doesn't share custody. 

Yes, if Eddie really wanted to, he could have at least had a conversation with Delilah saying he wanted joint custody, and that it would be a big mistake to lie to all the kids instead of being honest right away.  Instead, he just went along with whatever Delilah wanted and will continue doing so no matter what.

I can guess it will be Katherine who will be "the bad guy" for standing up at some point and saying "we can't keep lying to Theo about his sister!"

On 10/18/2019 at 2:50 PM, LucyEth said:

Not sure why Delilah does not hire a nanny instead of asking all her male friends with no baby experience to watch her kid who is like 2 or 3 weeks old.  Still can't stand Delilah.

I would also expect her teenage daughter to be drafted into babysitting.  I was 14 when my baby sister was born, and yup, babysitting was a thing because both of my parents worked. 

Delilah's daughter is pretty much MIA, even when we are shown the homey little "family" scenes, like the one with Eddie, Delilah, Theo, and the baby.

• Love 5

Just got around to watching this episode and I can't stand Maggie.  I was always a little 'meh' with her, but she is truly insufferable now.  Her and that pink wig.  "Wah wah wah, you always choose Chad over me."  I can't imagine why...oh wait, I can.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I guess what irks me is that it should just be a given, not an offering or a plea. Two people made that baby so they should share the time and responsibility for her. It's not like Eddie has some high powered career that takes up a lot of his time. (Did he drop the music when Charlie was born?) He is/was? a stay at home dad so adding a second kid when your other kid is in school is not impossible. I can see the child staying with the mother for the first year if she's breastfeeding but Delilah's is not doing that. Eddie can handle a bottle.

I think Eddie  was the one who started the lie. He told Delilah they had to tell everyone it is Jon's baby. And even though their friends all know, I doubt he wants to tell Theo/Delilah's kids or let it be public knowledge. I'm not sure if he's still trying to be a musician or teach kids guitar, but I bet some people may be less inclined to hire someone with a scandal attached. That's why I can't really feel bad for him at this point.

• Love 1