Type keyword(s) to search

Big Brother Lexicon: BB Doublespeak

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Okay, here's the rules.  Give a "standard" Big Brother phrase, be it used by the Chenbot, or the cast, and define it "truly" (meaning, yes, sarcastically).

For example (since it was brought up in a topic recently):

"What the house wants" - actual meaning: "What, I, the person starting the talk about what the house wants wants, and I'm pulling a mind game to convince everyone else..."

• Love 3

"Floater."

Actual meaning: "We need to target someone who isn't in our alliance, (with a super-kewl name,) so let's go after the people who don't seem to be in an entrenched alliance."

Special Season 16 meaning: "Woman."

• Love 6

Statement: "I'm basing my nominations purely on strategy."

Interpretation #1: "Helifino - but I gotta nominate *someone*...."

Interpretation #2: "I don't like you. Buh-bye."

Statement: "I'm basing my nominations on what the house wants."

Interpretation #1: "I don't want to make a big move because everyone will be mad at me."

Interpretation #2: "Someone threatened to come after me if I didn't nominate you. I'm scared. Please leave so I can lock the HOH room door."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

On the TWOP forums, there was this running gag about -- I can't remember exactly -- something like "verb up to the noun," like "step up to the plate."  I can't remember if it originated in the Big Brother threads or not -- but I'm sure it'll pop up on BB at some point.

What could be the real definition?

Statement: "If you put me on the block this week, then I'll be gunning for you next week."

Interpretation: "Please don't put me up. Please please please please please. And please disregard the yellow stream going down my leg...."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

"He just threw me under the bus!"

Actual meaning: "I thought I had him fooled enough to trust me until I was ready to turn on him, but he fooled me instead!"

On the TWOP forums, there was this running gag about -- I can't remember exactly -- something like "verb up to the noun," like "step up to the plate."  I can't remember if it originated in the Big Brother threads or not -- but I'm sure it'll pop up on BB at some point.

What could be the real definition?

Actual meaning: "Do what I'm trying to pressure you to do, otherwise you are weak."

"I don't want blood on my hands"

Meaning: "I don't want to make a big move because everyone will be mad at me."

Also: "I don't want anyone to know I'm doing things to try to win the game we're all playing."

Edited by TexasChic
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

"Don't worry, you're the pawn and you're safe this week."

Meaning: "Don't worry, we're going to use you to get someone else out, but if it fails, because you're pretty useless it's okay if you go."

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

"I'm not here to make friends."

Actual meaning: "Who needs to win this game?  I'm going to famous when this is over.  Famous!"

Alternative meaning: "I'm a jerk, I've always been a jerk, and I will continue to be a jerk."

"My favorite players are Mike Boogie and Evil Dick." 

See above. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Statement: "I don't want more blood on my hands."

Meaning #2: "WAAAAAHHH!!!! THEY'RE MAKING ME PLAY THE GAME FOR REAL AND I DON'T WANNA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH...!!!!"

Meaning #3: "Pardon me while I go in the corner and turn into a big steaming pile of wuss."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

{pause}  "This game is crazy...."  {pause}

Meaning: I'm passive-aggressively trying to get some info out of you, and/or don't want to give you info that I have, and need to say something to fill in the awkward silence. This is about as comfortable as a first date.

• Love 4
(edited)

What they say: "S/he doesn't even know how to play BB!"

Alternate: "I don't understand why they even think that would work in this game!"

What they mean: "S/he isn't cooperating with MY plan to win! HOW DARE THEY!!" *

* Also known as the Zuckerman Zeitgeist Corollary

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 7

Context: BB House - where once you get past the architecture and the "how's the weather" questions, leaves few topics for discussion other than yourself, other HGs, or the Game.

"Gossipy bitch" - female who talks about other HGs.

"Conceited bitch" - female who talks about herself.

"Conniving/manipulative bitch" - female who talks about Game strategy.

"Dumb/clueless bitch" - female who talks about anything other than Game strategy.

"Stuck-up bitch" - female who doesn't talk.

"Loudmouth" - male who talks too much about anything.

"Quiet" - male who doesn't talk much at all about anything.

"He/Him" - male whose usual speech falls anywhere between "Loudmouth" and "Quiet".

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

"Schemer" - a person who has figured out what you're up to and is telling other people about it.

"Paranoid" - someone who is afraid you are lying to them, when you are lying to them.

"You are the one person I trust in this game" - required by every HG to be said at some point in the game to each of the other of the HGs.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

"Who Wants to See Our/My HoH room"?

Meaning - for some reason on a show with only a limited number of minutes to compress endless material from live feeds into... this is a way to... burn time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2015-specific definition: I don't want to do ANYTHING other than put up the same people every time.

• Love 2

"Who Wants to See Our/My HoH room"?

Meaning - for some reason on a show with only a limited number of minutes to compress endless material from live feeds into... this is a way to... burn time.

More precisely, it's an easy way to pad the episode to the right length after they've put together the other pieces. Sometimes you'll hardly see the place, and other times you'll have lengthy closeups of family photos and other objects.

• Like 1

Initial slang update:

AFP = America's Favorite Player 

AG = Allison Grodner, Executive Producer of Big Brother.

ATEOTD = At the End Of the Day

BB = Big Brother

BBRK = Big Brother RoadKill.  Power to name an additional nominee for eviction, and - if original nominee is removed by Power of Veto - the replacement nominee.

BOTB = Battle Of the Block

BOTH \ BOHH = Blood On Their Hands \ Blood On His/Her Hands

DE = Double Elimination episode (occasional Thursday night episodes only).  Following a standard eviction vote, a highly-compressed session where an entire normally week-long HoH cycle (HoH competition / nominations / Power of Veto comp / PoV meeting / 2nd eviction of the night) takes place within a single episode).

DPoV = Diamond Power of Veto; same as a normal Power of Veto, except the holder of a DPoV also has the power to name the replacement nominee, if required.

HG = HouseGuest (BB slang for a player/contestant).

HoH = Head of Household 

IIWII = "It is what it is" - a phrase acknowledging the redundant nature of reality.  Or something else.  Fuck all if *I* know.

JH = Jury House.  Sequestration residence for evicted Houseguests joining the Jury.

OTB = On the Block (I.e., nominated for eviction)

POS = Piece of Shit

PoV = Power of Veto

RT = Round Trip ticket.  An eviction veto device which, if possessed by a newly evicted HouseGuest, permits him/her immediate re-entry to the House for continued uninterrupted game play.

UTB = (thrown) Under the Bus

WTBS = "With that being said..." - a phrase used to indicate total contradiction with everything else stated up to that point.

WWTSMHOHR = "Who wants to see my HoH room?"  A silly question, never answered honestly.

• Useful 1
(edited)

VWTH = Vote With The House \ Voting With The House

Meaning:  A quasi-strategy whereby a HG lets the prevailing majority House opinion determine their vote.  Usually employed as part of a "don't make waves" strategy, or as a alternative for original strategic thought.

Edited by Nashville
Spelling
(edited)

BEC = Bitch Eating Crackers

Meaning: Someone you dislike so much, all they could be doing is eating crackers and it would annoy the hell out of you.

034EBF95-631B-46B4-8F07-E78388A2E5C3.png.f74a14bafc8d46ff7bc5818d387bf7f2.png

Edited by Nashville
Added visual aids.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

LMAO. Thanks, Nashville! I kept seeing BEC in the Live Feeds thread in regards to Angie and Sam, and have been meaning to ask what that stood for. I tried a search but there are approximately 692 different thing that B.E.C. could stand for. Now I know!

• Love 1
On 7/24/2018 at 1:52 PM, greyflannel said:

I know it says crackers, but it looks like she's eating an open faced cheese sandwich. That's annoying:-)

You would prefer Bitch Eating Cheese, then?  That’s not near as funny - don’t ask me why.  ;)

Edited by Nashville

Revised definitions:

Floater: A relatively active player who works outside traditional alliance lines - i.e., “floating” between multiple alliances.  

Coaster: A relatively inactive player who doesn’t participate in strategic gameplay to any significant degree, choosing instead to enjoy a paid summer vacation while riding the coattails of more active players - they drift along with the current of the game without kicking up any waves of their own.  The term also reflects frequent common opinion of such players as being next to furniture.

Edited by Nashville
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

References to House interior (all rooms downstairs unless specified otherwise):

————-

BA - main bathroom.

BR - bedroom; multiple bedrooms distinguished by a single-letter prefix (ex. BBR = “blue bedroom”).

BY - back yard.

DN - dining room.

DR - Diary Room (for Production/HG interactions).  Production-lockable door.

FD / FOTH - front door / front of the House.  Primary access point for HG entry, and evictee exit.

HNR - Have-Not bedroom.

HOHR - HoH room; contains separate bedroom, shower, tub and toilet, and vanity.  Only HG-lockable door. (upstairs)

JS - the “Jack Shack”, a scenery-disguised Port-a-Potty in the far corner of the BY behind the swimming pool.

KIT - kitchen.

LR - living room.

MW - Memory Wall.

PB - room next to HOHR variably used for Pandora’s Box, Co-HoH BR, season-specific challenges,  etc. (upstairs)

SR - storage room/pantry.  Production-lockable door.

WC - water closet/toilet.

————-

In addition:

NNR - No-Name Room; early-season temporary generic reference for the one room in the House without a fixed name - the discussion room off the hall between the downstairs bathroom and the kitchen/dining area.  Name and reference changes every season, depending upon decor and use.  Past references include:

• APSR - Austin Powers Sex Room
  • GM - Geometry Room
  • etc., etc.
Edited by Nashville
MW add
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't know if this is BB specific or forum wide, but what's the origin/meaning of  "for me (for you)"?  I laugh every time I see it so I hope it's meant to be funny/snarky.

It actually stems from American Idol, back in the TWoP days.  Judge Randy Jackson would utter some stream-of-consciousness babble after a contestant's unsatisfactory performance, usually some variation of "Yeah, dawg, I wasn't feeling that one.  For me, for you, that was the wrong song."  Translation: "That was not your best performance.  In my opinion, I believe you should have picked a different song."

• Love 2
10 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Not sure if this is the correct spot but what curses are out there for BB other than the 1st in the house and winning OTEV?

Sounds like a good idea for a new thread - BB Mythology.  :)

MNITM = My Name In Their Mouth(s)

Meaning: A HG’s reference to another HG or group of HGs mentioning them in conversation, especially if the mention is in an undesirable game context.

Example: “Last thing I need is them walking around with MNITM”.

Associated form: KMNOTM Keep(ing) MName Outta Their Mouth(s)

Meaning: A HG’s express desire that another HG or group of HGs stop talking about them.

Example: “They best KMNOTM, or there will be hell to pay”.

• LOL 2
On 7/1/2014 at 12:25 PM, ShaNaeNae said:

6 years later and this is STILL the one that disgusts me the most. I still cringe whenever I hear this crap phrase.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5