Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Oh Mamere

Snookums
  • Start Topic

Micah takes Blue to the park triggering trauma from his past; Darla learns a painful truth about the night Blue was conceived, and Violet stands by her side for comfort.

Original Air Date: 2019.8.21

The Darla and Vi scene was really well done, and I was surprised by Ralph Angel's maturity when Darla tried to talk to him about what happened that night. I don't think his relationship with Deesha will be going to that next level.

The Nova and Charley scenes... I am still not sympathetic to Nova's reasons for going behind her family's back. She doesn't seem to really get what she did nor feel genuine remorse. It is cold excuses. Any forgiveness Nova may get at this point feels totally unearned (and bad agenda writing AFAIC). 

• Love 16

Oh boy..I was.hoping Darla would relapse, but it was inevitable; she reached her breaking point. Thank goodness Vi was there to comfort her, and I do agree that Ralph has shown some growth this season.

So...Nova low key resented Charley which may explain why she assassinated her character in her book--if that's the case, it was spiteful and malicious. Charley's a good one; ain't no way, I'm speaking to a person who destroyed her reputation; triggered her aunt's past trauma; drove her brother's ex-girlfriend to a relaspe; and nearly ruined a family dynamic between Blue and his parents---and the assumptions she made about her father...SMDH. No amount of "I'm sorry", newspaper editorials, or cuddling can fix this. 

Even if they did forgive her, the damage is done--she lost their trust and respect, which will be very difficult to regain--if ever.

Edited by sereion
  • Love 8

I'm glad to see the show finally delve into the truth of that night and acknowledge that what happened to Darla wasn't consensual. I know we didn't know all the details from the start, since Darla herself didn't know, but we knew enough about Darla's past and where she was by that time for me to suspect that she was likely way too high to give consent for anything that happened. It was really nice to see Vi being so kind to her even before realizing what made her relapse, and I'm glad RA was understanding and supportive too. That said, I'm not sure how I feel about this storyline being what seems to be setting the RA/Darla reunion up; it comes off kind of iffy to use it that way. I know it's always been inevitable that they'd end up back together, but I hope they hold off long enough so that it doesn't feel too connected to this revelation.

I've always found the Nova and Charley relationship and all its issues fascinating, so I'm really enjoying how much focus it's been getting this season, especially these last two episodes. I hope now that they've realized their issues and the root of them, that they can show them starting to overcome it and get to a better place.

Edited by colorbars
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, sereion said:

So...Nova low key had some animosity towards Charley which may explain why she assassinated her character in her book--if that's the case, it was spiteful and malicious. Charley's a good one; ain't no way, I'm speaking to a person who destroyed her character; triggered her aunt's traumatic event; drove brother's ex-girlfriend to a relaspe; and nearly ruined a relationship between Blue and his parents---and assumptions she made about her father...SMDH. No amount of "I'm sorry", newspaper editorials, cuddling can fix this. 

This is where I'm at. Vi's a good one for letting her wait for Charley in her restaurant after their talk. It would have been a Jazzy Jeff/Uncle Phil situation had it been my restaurant.

I, for one, don't want Darla and RA back together so that was all meh. Darla finally had her relapse---now hopefully she can truly move on from all this.  I just don't see how Darla being around RA, thus in close proximity to Nova, would be good for her. She is one that truly has no reason to ever forgive Nova and may have suffered the most because of her. Darla deserves a fresh start at happiness.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 15

If anything, that conversation in the woods makes it sound like Nova has been resentful towards Charlie for years and that her book was an excuse to knock her down a few pegs, and make her feel small the way she felt around Charlie. I find the Charlie/Nova relationship really interesting, or at least I did, but the book really throws a massive wrench into it. No way after only a few months would Charlie be going on a girls weekend with her sister after what she did, it makes any attempts to make us feel bad for Nova or to do a "both sisters did bad things" sort of excuse feel  hallow, because nothing she did seems to be as bad as what Nova just did. Also Novas whole sad story sounds suspect to me. Charlie has no recollection of it, and while that could mean that she just forgot about how mean she was to "poor Nova", its been established now that Nova has no problems lying or mis-remembering things and presenting them as fact in her book, so maybe this is more of the same.

Vi was polite to Nova when she was waiting for Charlie, but she is clearly not in any mood to forgive her ass any time soon, and I dont blame her. Especially after seeing what her book has done to Darla. 

So Darla finally has her relapse, which I was really hoping wouldn't happen but at least she didn't die, so hopefully this can be a way for her to really move on. I am glad that the show is finally acknowledging that what happened to Darla was probably not consensual, considering how out of it she must have been. It was great seeing Vi being so kind to her, even before she knew what all was all going on, considering how she often treats her, and Ralph Angel being supportive of her as well. On the other hand, I dont really want to see Darla and RA get back together, especially with this as the inciting incident towards them getting back together. Its better for both of them to move on and give Blue his two graduation parties. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

This is where I'm at. Vi's a good one for letting her wait for Charley in her restaurant after their talk. It would have been a Jazzy Jeff/Uncle Phil situation had it been my restaurant.

I, for one, don't want Darla and RA back together so that was all meh. Darla finally had her relapse---now hopefully she can truly move on from all this.  I just don't see how Darla being around RA, thus in close proximity to Nova, would be good for her. She is one that truly has no reason to ever forgive Nova and may have suffered the most because of her. Darla deserves a fresh start at happiness.

First of all, RA behaved like a immature ass by not taking a moment to call Deesha to say he had an emergency and wouldn't be able to make it.  Second, ( so much for taking it to  the next level ) Nova has always been jealous of Charley and insecure that is where all the venom comes from. Vi is not feeling Nova right now, like she asked her, if I had said no to you , would it have stopped you ? Charley put things in perspective by asking ,  okay so you proceed and then apologize for the things you do ? Is this how it works ? That's why Nova apologies fall short with me. Her selfishness always come first .  RA and Darla, NOPE , NOPE, NOPE.. happy to see aunt Vi, stop and help her when she needed it most . Aunt Vi realizes we all have fallen short but we need to take care of each other. That's why even if she's not ready to hear Nova right now, she still prays for her.  

Edited by byrd
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

The Darla and Vi scene was really well done, and I was surprised by Ralph Angel's maturity when Darla tried to talk to him about what happened that night. I don't think his relationship with Deesha will be going to that next level.

The Nova and Charley scenes... I am still not sympathetic to Nova's reasons for going behind her family's back. She doesn't seem to really get what she did nor feel genuine remorse. It is cold excuses. Any forgiveness Nova may get at this point feels totally unearned (and bad agenda writing AFAIC). 

Darla worked my last dam nerve, she was completely inaudible, couldn't understand a darm thing she was trying to say, even closed captioned was bad.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Loved Vi's green dress. I think that's a great color for her.

Nova doesn't deserve a sister like Charley.  But then I guess Charley can afford to be magnanimous.

Oy, Darla. Revisting the past finally took her down. (And I'm sorry but her hair was fabulous.)

I don't get the whole yurt thing. Unless you actually live in one, anyway,

Did I understand correctly that Darla got Eiffel-towered while she was high? Too high to have properly consented? That's horrible.

I don't understand why Darla had to "confess" her rape to RA though. Blue is still not his child, regardless of how he was conceived. But the story seems to have reeled RA back into Darla's web.

Buh bye, Deesha. Looks like you're no match for Darla's perpetual drama.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Vi was polite to Nova when she was waiting for Charlie, but she is clearly not in any mood to forgive her ass any time soon, and I dont blame her. Especially after seeing what her book has done to Darla. 

I appreciated Vi calling Nova out about not coming to her first cause Nova knew on some level that Vi would say no to the book, so Nova just went ahead and selfishly wrote the book anyway. 

Vi still gets on my nerves more often than not but this was an episode were I spent a lot of it agreeing with her words & actions. 

I am also not here for Queen Sugar trying to make Nova some victim in order to sell her exploitative actions in any way as justifiable. 😒

1 hour ago, byrd said:

Darla worked my last dam nerve, she was completely inaudible, couldn't understand a darm thing she was trying to say, even closed captioned was bad.

Eh. I was fine with it. She was talking about being raped. It makes sense that her voice was low. I actually turned on my closed captioning so I could make out her words because the story is what was important and it wasn't an issue for me. 

50 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Buh bye, Deesha. Looks like you're no match for Darla's perpetual drama.

I like Deesha... but yea. 

51 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't understand why Darla had to "confess" her rape to RA though. Blue is still not his child, regardless of how he was conceived. But the story seems to have reeled RA back into Darla's web.

I guess so he would understand that she is a rape victim and it wasn't that she purposely and selfishly screwing around on him? That's the only thing I can think of, aside from the obvious upcoming Darla & RA reunion take 920582964677. 

• Love 8

Add me to the people who are not here for the Nova redemption tour.

I think this show may be gravely miscalculating how ready some of us in the audience are to forgive Nova. Just looking at Vi and Darla together having to rehash their trauma, in part, because Nova dug it up then flashing to Charley and Nova in the woods made my teeth itch.

Nova does not deserve forgiveness. She has not earned it.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Loved Vi's green dress. I think that's a great color for her.

I had the same thought. I thought she looked fantastic. Waist was snatched. Come through, Vi!

1 hour ago, marceline said:

Add me to the people who are not here for the Nova redemption tour.

I think this show may be gravely miscalculating how ready some of us in the audience are to forgive Nova. Just looking at Vi and Darla together having to rehash their trauma, in part, because Nova dug it up then flashing to Charley and Nova in the woods made my teeth itch.

Nova does not deserve forgiveness. She has not earned it.

Nope. When I think of how she revealed Blue's paternity in that bookit makes me want to clock her dead in the mouth. The ramifications for Darla in particular were so huge that I really don't know if I could ever forgive her - not just in Darla's case, but in the rest of their cases. Like, even if "all" Nova did was reveal Blue's paternity and she'd kept my name out her mouth, I wouldn't forgive her. Nova could not promise me anything.

My jaw was on the floor when Darla's friend was describing Darla's RAPE in detail like it was a joke. She's not a real friend; she was a party buddy. 

Micah hanging out with Blue at the park was so goddamn cute. And I loved the scene with Prosper, RA and Hollywood, and then with Micah and Blue later on. Proper is such a good man.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Darian said:

The second I saw the police cruiser, I felt sick for Micah. I had to pause the recording and spoil myself before watching the rest. 

What I found amazing about those scenes is that the cop was SO nice to Blue. He was exactly the image of Officer Friendly that kids have been force fed for decades. But the moment Micah showed up he was ready to go full Daniel Pantaleo. 

• Love 5

It was refreshing to see Vi FINALLY showing some compassion towards Darla. It was pretty ridiculous for her to be so intransigent about Darla, given her own past.  But then, I guess she never really dealt with it until recently.  Alas, I've known a few women like that in real life. And she surprisingly admitted that the truth can be a light.  Duh, Vi, under the right circumstances, of course it can.    

(Counting down for the show to imply, if not outright state via Vi or someone else, that Vi truly healed because her past with Jimmy Dale was outed in Nova's book.) 

I don't think Ralph Angel needed to be there, at least not right then.  Darla's story and trauma is her own, I don't really care how Ralph Angel feels about it.  It would have been more interesting to me if Deesha had been introduced as a supporting character and a friend to Darla who bonded because of the kids' friendship.  She could really use a solid, mature girlfriend or two.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, MyGiddyAunt said:

Because I'm prone to nitpicking:

Why was there a long line for the men's restroom and none for the women's?  Isn't it almost always the other way around?

I have multiple problems with that scene.

1. No one noticed Blue going into the female restroom and no females were in there when Blue entered. 

2. I'm also annoyed at Micah for taking his eyes off Blue. He could've checked his phone without turning around.

3. No one questioned where Blue went or Blue confessing he went into the female restroom. 

• Love 10

I have no sympathy for Nova, she still shouldn't be allowed to step foot in Vi's restaurant and Charlie giving her presents? WTF. After all Nova did, she deserves to grovel and earn her way back to the family.

Poor Darla, figures her mother would like that type of friend. Probably just a rich friend she buys the act over. 

RA has come along way with how he handled Darla. Good for him.

• Love 4

I'm confused about the whole "Darla was raped" reveal. We may know more of the "details" now, but given what we already knew about that time in her life, is there anyone who didn't assume that Darla was likely high and out of it when Blue was conceived, whether she was at a party, or prostituting herself, or whatever. 

Never thought that Darla had deliberately hid Blue's paternity from RA and the family all this time. She just didn't know for sure, and was too scared to make any moves to find out for certain. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, TVForever said:

I'm confused about the whole "Darla was raped" reveal. We may know more of the "details" now, but given what we already knew about that time in her life, is there anyone who didn't assume that Darla was likely high and out of it when Blue was conceived, whether she was at a party, or prostituting herself, or whatever. 

Never thought that Darla had deliberately hid Blue's paternity from RA and the family all this time. She just didn't know for sure, and was too scared to make any moves to find out for certain. 

Re: the paternity, initially the issue was that there was ONE guy at the party and Blue's possible fathers were Party Guy A and Ralph Angel. Now we know there were two guys at the party, so either Party Guy A or Party Guy B is Blue's bio father. When the truth came out, IIRC Darla said that Blue might not be RA's. She didn't know for certain either way - it's not like she knew Party Guy A was the father and she passed Blue off as RA's son all this time. RA just didn't know there was a chance Blue wasn't his. I don't think Darla was prostituting when she conceived Blue; I had the impression that she went down that path after Blue was born.

Re: her being high, I think she said all along that she was high at that party. I get the impression that the fact that there was a second guy that she didn't even remember caused it to hit home for her how fucked up she was, which made her able to admit she was too out of it to consent, even if she didn't say no (and maybe she did; I don't think she remembers anything).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Artsda said:

I have no sympathy for Nova, she still shouldn't be allowed to step foot in Vi's restaurant and Charlie giving her presents? WTF. After all Nova did, she deserves to grovel and earn her way back to the family.

Poor Darla, figures her mother would like that type of friend. Probably just a rich friend she buys the act over. 

RA has come along way with how he handled Darla. Good for him.

I was completely turned off by her arrogance to sit in Vi's restaurant to publicly force Vi to talk to her because it would've quickly gotten around if Nova came to Vi's restaurant everyday and ignores Nova. Then she wants to use the whole, "we're family." Where was this when she wrote her book?

I laughed at Nova offering to help Charley by using her journalistic skills. The same skills that helped her write her book???

Sadly I know people like Nova. They are raised in a different environment than you and have this low key resentment to you because you had things differently. They tend to read everything you do in a negative way towards them and in the end become their own worst enemy because of their hate and insecurities. 

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I laughed at Nova offering to help Charley by using her journalistic skills. The same skills that helped her write her book???

Which are apparently nil, since she didn't do any research. Charley has a private investigator she works with regularly. I doubt very much that Nova could find anything the investigator couldn't.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Ha! When Nova said that, I thought the show was deliberately trolling us. Because I refuse to believe someone wrote that with an earnest heart and straight face. 

• Love 5
On 8/22/2019 at 6:14 PM, Empress1 said:

My jaw was on the floor when Darla's friend was describing Darla's RAPE in detail like it was a joke. She's not a real friend; she was a party buddy. 

She seemed lucid enough recalled the incident, yet it didn't occur to her to remove her girl from that situation? I can't believe that didn't register with her once she gave her the details. She's trash; I see why Darla was hesitant to meet with her.

On 8/23/2019 at 3:23 PM, Arcadiasw said:

After all Nova did, she deserves to grovel and earn her way back to the family.

I am not here for the Nova redemption arc, either; it is too soon---her family still have the tire marks from the bus she them under. Let her continue to feel the weight of being shunned and disgraced.

Edited by sereion
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Re: the paternity, initially the issue was that there was ONE guy at the party and Blue's possible fathers were Party Guy A and Ralph Angel. Now we know there were two guys at the party, so either Party Guy A or Party Guy B is Blue's bio father. When the truth came out, IIRC Darla said that Blue might not be RA's. She didn't know for certain either way - it's not like she knew Party Guy A was the father and she passed Blue off as RA's son all this time. RA just didn't know there was a chance Blue wasn't his. I don't think Darla was prostituting when she conceived Blue; I had the impression that she went down that path after Blue was born.

Re: her being high, I think she said all along that she was high at that party. I get the impression that the fact that there was a second guy that she didn't even remember caused it to hit home for her how fucked up she was, which made her able to admit she was too out of it to consent, even if she didn't say no (and maybe she did; I don't think she remembers anything).

Thank you. I obviously wasn't watching closely enough in the beginning. You've filled in some of the blanks for me.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:53 PM, MyGiddyAunt said:

Why was there a long line for the men's restroom and none for the women's?  Isn't it almost always the other way around?

I love your name.  One of the bakers on the British Baking Show would say it all. the. time!

But, yeah, I noticed that too.  Very unrealistic, as was his not getting into trouble for it.

• Love 3