Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E01: I Am Going to Make You A Star

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, dttruman said:

Is this "ripped from the headlines" episode suppose to be about Harvey Weinstein or Jeffrey Epstein?

Probably a bit of both.  Let's call them SteinStein.

I think it's too early to be fully just Jeffrey, or it's Jeffrey without the suicide/murder/fake body and spiriting away the real JE/whatever conspiracy theories there are.

• Love 7

This episode seems like it’s already been done numerous times over the last few seasons, a rich, famous white guy accused of rape, and St Benson going after him. I can only hope this episode is different, but I don’t have a good feeling, it seems like they could’ve done something more interesting for the 21st season premiere.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

This episode seems like it’s already been done numerous times over the last few seasons, a rich, famous white guy accused of rape, and St Benson going after him. I can only hope this episode is different, but I don’t have a good feeling, it seems like they could’ve done something more interesting for the 21st season premiere.

Yeah, how many sex trafficking Leona Helmsly types have they done over the years. Have there been any real bad-ass women like that or have they just been made traffickers by circumstance?

• Love 1

The episode info has been released, it says : “When an actress accuses a high powered media mogul of attempted rape, Benson finds herself in a high stakes game of cat and mouse. Changes in the squad room put Carisi between a rock and a hard place.” 

What does everyone think of this? The storyline sounds unoriginal and all about St Olivia once again, but what about the Carisi situation? Or will that be nothing and become all about Benson as well? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

The episode info has been released, it says : “When an actress accuses a high powered media mogul of attempted rape, Benson finds herself in a high stakes game of cat and mouse. Changes in the squad room put Carisi between a rock and a hard place.” 

What does everyone think of this? The storyline sounds unoriginal and all about St Olivia once again, but what about the Carisi situation? Or will that be nothing and become all about Benson as well? 

So this is another Harvey Weinstein-esque tale then? But, this being SVU, mogul will be caught and imprisoned post haste. No money will save him from The Wrath of St. Olivia!

Please.

Not that I would not want someone like Weinstein to pay, but it's a lot harder to do when tons of cash and lawyers are involved.

And this franchise used to have some reality to it. Too bad it seems long gone.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

So this is another Harvey Weinstein-esque tale then? But, this being SVU, mogul will be caught and imprisoned post haste. No money will save him from The Wrath of St. Olivia!

Please.

Not that I would not want someone like Weinstein to pay, but it's a lot harder to do when tons of cash and lawyers are involved.

And this franchise used to have some reality to it. Too bad it seems long gone.

Yeah like I said, the plot seems beyond stale and unoriginal as well as being entirely about St Olivia. I wish they could’ve come up with something more creative and compelling for the historic 21st season premiere. 

SVU has just gone completely down the crapper in recent seasons, I’m just glad that the Mothership and CI went out on high notes. Now on SVU realism and interesting plots as well as characters integrity have been sacrificed in order to build up the Holy St Olivia/MH and her agenda. 

• Love 2

Here are some photos from the ep, and, hey, there's Carisi!  In one.  Oy.  With what looks like an off-duty Rollins.  That, plus this - 

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Changes in the squad room put Carisi between a rock and a hard place.

- make me very afraid they're gonna make Carisi the new ADA.  Which I do not want.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Carisi as the ADA is where my mind went as well, and I don’t think that would be good. Not only would it be completely unrealistic (it might be the most unrealistic thing this show has ever done) but worse than that, I’m afraid it would be like having Benson in charge of the ADA: Carisi has been working for Benson for several years, I can’t imagine him being in a position to overrule her, so I’m afraid that if Carisi became the ADA then Benson would just tell him what to do and he would follow her orders the way he does now. It would give St Olivia even more power, and that would send the show further down the drain. Not to mention it would leave SVU with even fewer detectives and it would mean more Benson and Rollins. 

The only thing that might be interesting if Carisi became ADA would be if he stood up to Benson and the 2 had a major argument with Carisi telling Benson “I don’t work for you anymore” but I don’t see the writers doing that if they make Carisi the ADA, he’ll just become the next Benson Bot as ADA, probably moreso than Barba or Stone became. Disgusting. 

Honestly I’m expecting this season to be utter crap. I hope I’m wrong, I do, but I’m fully expecting season 21 to be god awful. Brace yourselves everyone, I think we’re in for a season of garbage.

Rant complete.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Carisi as the ADA is where my mind went as well, and I don’t think that would be good. Not only would it be completely unrealistic (it might be the most unrealistic thing this show has ever done) but worse than that, I’m afraid it would be like having Benson in charge of the ADA: Carisi has been working for Benson for several years, I can’t imagine him being in a position to overrule her, so I’m afraid that if Carisi became the ADA then Benson would just tell him what to do and he would follow her orders the way he does now. It would give St Olivia even more power, and that would send the show further down the drain. Not to mention it would leave SVU with even fewer detectives and it would mean more Benson and Rollins. 

The only thing that might be interesting if Carisi became ADA would be if he stood up to Benson and the 2 had a major argument with Carisi telling Benson “I don’t work for you anymore” but I don’t see the writers doing that if they make Carisi the ADA, he’ll just become the next Benson Bot as ADA, probably moreso than Barba or Stone became. Disgusting. 

Honestly I’m expecting this season to be utter crap. I hope I’m wrong, I do, but I’m fully expecting season 21 to be god awful. Brace yourselves everyone, I think we’re in for a season of garbage.

Rant complete.

Haha...love your rants. 😁

i think i read in an article that there were going to be 3 major changes affecting the squad revealed in the season premiere.  I think 1 of them is going to be that Carisi is the new ADA.   I haven’t seen any pictures with Carisi in the detective mode; I just saw 1 of him in what looks like a courtroom with Rollins.  That would explain the being between a rock and a hard place; Benson is going to demand (yes, demand) that he prosecute the mogul and he may not have enough evidence to do so.  I would LOVE to see him say to “Lieu” that she is no longer his boss.  I have a feeling that “Rollisi” is unfortunately going to be a thing; Leight loves personal drama and he planted that seed during his initial tenure. Maybe the 3rd thing is Fin will officially be a sergeant for SVU??

I also hope you are wrong about it being a horrible season.  From what I’ve read online, everyone (actors and the behind the scenes staff) seems to be excited about how this season is rolling so far.  I think we are going to see a lot of personal drama; we already know Noah is in 2 episodes so far and Rollins’ kids are in 1.  Leight can do a good job at writing stories with twists to them, so I hope we see that.  Leight and Mariska are very much intertwined, but I hope he has enough influence/stature to keep her at bay.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ChristiKRN said:

Haha...love your rants. 😁

i think i read in an article that there were going to be 3 major changes affecting the squad revealed in the season premiere.  I think 1 of them is going to be that Carisi is the new ADA.   I haven’t seen any pictures with Carisi in the detective mode; I just saw 1 of him in what looks like a courtroom with Rollins.  That would explain the being between a rock and a hard place; Benson is going to demand (yes, demand) that he prosecute the mogul and he may not have enough evidence to do so.  I would LOVE to see him say to “Lieu” that she is no longer his boss.  I have a feeling that “Rollisi” is unfortunately going to be a thing; Leight loves personal drama and he planted that seed during his initial tenure. Maybe the 3rd thing is Fin will officially be a sergeant for SVU??

I also hope you are wrong about it being a horrible season.  From what I’ve read online, everyone (actors and the behind the scenes staff) seems to be excited about how this season is rolling so far.  I think we are going to see a lot of personal drama; we already know Noah is in 2 episodes so far and Rollins’ kids are in 1.  Leight can do a good job at writing stories with twists to them, so I hope we see that.  Leight and Mariska are very much intertwined, but I hope he has enough influence/stature to keep her at bay.  

I’m starting to believe that Carisi will switch from detective to prosecutor as well, he’s been in very few behind the scenes photos for season 21, he’s only in 1 promo pick for the first episode and it’s weird shot of what looks like him and Rollins off duty. Since they’ve said there will be major changes, it’s starting to piece together that Carisi will be the new ADA. 

Who knows what the other changes will be, Fin has already been a sergeant officially for over a year, remember when Carisi addressed him as “sergeant” one time? That was really strange. And yeah if Carisi becomes the ADA please have him stop calling Benson “Lieu” everyone else calls her by her first name, why can’t he? 

I don’t have a good feeling about this season, in part because of how much Leight loves personal soaps, I’m afraid we’ll be seeing Super Brat Noah and Rollins’ kids every other episode along with a lot of other soapy dreck involving Benson and Rollins, plus a heavy dose of St Olivia worship, plus having only 4 main characters isn’t good.

• Love 3

I can see the logic in making Carisi the ADA for budgetary reasons.  There could even be some good story beats to it, i.e. Benson adjusting to Carisi being her professional peer now, rather than her subordinate, and vice versa for Carisi.  But I think there's more illogic in it, really.

This far into his NYPD career, Carisi is going to forego his pension and jump ship to a lesser paying job with the DA's office?  Leave us not forget Carisi's big Season 20 storyline, wherein he bought a new car.  Man's got car payments!  And he's going to start right out as SVU's ADA?  Sure.  That would happen.

Not to mention our already ridiculous four person SVU will now be only three persons.  Two of which are a lieutenant and a sergeant, leaving only one detective.  Granted, Rollins can use all the brass they can find to keep her in line, but come on.  Three people?  For all of Manhattan?

If they bring in any new people as a detective, even just recurring or guests, why not use them as ADAs and leave Carisi as a detective?  

Oy, if this happens, I will hate it for no other reason than the cop side of the show has always been the focus on SVU and, for me, the more interesting part.  I am opposed, on moral grounds, to anything that gives Carisi less screentime or less interesting screentime.

I just hope, in a season, season and a half, we don't have Carisi standing, gazing at the courthouse, while telling Benson what a profound impact she's had on his life, she's all the colors in his Crayola box, and it's all been for her, before walking off into the abyss, never to be seen or heard from again.

All that said, I do think we'll have more Carisi this season now that Leight is back (though that would hardly take much after the last three seasons.)  And PS seems pretty jazzed about the current state of affairs, whatever they may be.  I do think this will be a better season than the last three, but if it's as good as I found the original Leight years to be remains to be seen.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 6
On 9/10/2019 at 8:50 PM, ChristiKRN said:

I also hope you are wrong about it being a horrible season.  From what I’ve read online, everyone (actors and the behind the scenes staff) seems to be excited about how this season is rolling so far.

Isn't  that what they always say before the season to all the press, that everybody is excited and happy to do the show. I have never heard any one ever say, "No, this is going to be a bummer season and I can't wait to leave".

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Episode description from Googling "Law and Order SVU season 21 episode , I Am Going to Make You a Star"

When an actress accuses a high-powered media mogul of attempted rape, Benson finds herself in a high-stakes game of cat and mouse; changes in the squad room put Carisi between a rock and a hard place

This description is from "All Things Law and Order,  I Am Going to Make You a Star"

When an actress accuses a high-powered media mogul of attempted rape, Benson finds herself in a high-stakes game of cat and mouse. Changes in the squad room put Carisi between a rock and a hard place. Ian McShane, Peter Gallagher, Zuleikha Robinson and Jamie Gray Hyder guest star.

Edited by dttruman
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, dttruman said:

Isn't  that what they always say before the season to all the press, that everybody is excited and happy to do the show. I have never heard any one ever say, "No, this is going to be a bummer season and I can't wait to leave".

Yeah, and they all have young kids and have bills to pay, so they're not going to go the Katherine-Heigl route and talk shit about the show and the writers.  It's a job with a steady paycheck in an extremely fickle market, and a show that's shown in many countries in syndication, so even if they just do it for the money and in hopes that the LOSVU role will lead up to other shows and movies, they'll keep showing up to work.  I mean, it's really not a bad job to have, is it, even if you're not getting paid as much as MH?

• Like 1
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, dttruman said:

1 hour ago, SarahPrtr said:

Yeah, and they all have young kids and have bills to pay, so they're not going to go the Katherine-Heigl route and talk shit about the show and the writers.  It's a job with a steady paycheck in an extremely fickle market, and a show that's shown in many countries in syndication, so even if they just do it for the money and in hopes that the LOSVU role will lead up to other shows and movies, they'll keep showing up to work.  I mean, it's really not a bad job to have, is it, even if you're not getting paid as much as MH?

It's definitely not a bad job at all. Especially since being a series regular on a Dick Wolf series has historically been not just a rare steady paycheck, but a entry to a successful and stable career whether with him and his associates or elsewhere. Which doesn't mean that those promos aren't just the actors playing another role - I certainly believe that with the exception of Mariska the entire cast is aware of the decline in quality and isn't really that excited. But NBC isn't going run a promo of Peter Scanavino saying "It's pretty neat to be part of breaking a record, and I'm happy to have gotten my big break, but it's obvious that creatively the show is out of gas and I'm hoping that it ends in time for me to get cast in the second FBI spinoff" are they?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, wknt3 said:

It's definitely not a bad job at all. Especially since being a series regular on a Dick Wolf series has historically been not just a rare steady paycheck, but a entry to a successful and stable career whether with him and his associates or elsewhere.

Yeah! It just goes to show, you shouldn't go and burn your bridges. Unless you never, and I mean never want to associate with someone or something in particular.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, dttruman said:

Yeah! It just goes to show, you shouldn't go and burn your bridges. Unless you never, and I mean never want to associate with someone or something in particular.

I hope you're listening, Constance Wu, you silly dick.  Before 'Fresh', people didn't know who tf you were... which lead to another huge movie, Crazy Rich Asians.  SUCH a dick.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SarahPrtr said:

I hope you're listening, Constance Wu, you silly dick.  Before 'Fresh', people didn't know who tf you were... which lead to another huge movie, Crazy Rich Asians.  SUCH a dick.

I heard something about that, but I didn't pay close attention to it. Didn't they welcome her back with open arms and say something like "all's forgiven", or not?

I don't think SVU would be all that forgiving, if you ask me.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, dttruman said:

I heard something about that, but I didn't pay close attention to it. Didn't they welcome her back with open arms and say something like "all's forgiven", or not?

Way to NOT teach someone a lesson.  I mean, she tweeted profanities about FOTB being renewed, ffs.  NO excuses for that.  She still has no idea how lucky she is to be a Working Actor.  It doesn't matter how talented you are, or how hard you work.  A lot of it comes down to just dumb luck.  I have actor and artist friends who are WAY more talented than her and they still haven't gotten that Big Break and if they did, they would NEVER say shit like that.  It bloody pisses me off.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

Way to NOT teach someone a lesson.  I mean, she tweeted profanities about FOTB being renewed, ffs.  NO excuses for that.  She still has no idea how lucky she is to be a Working Actor.  It doesn't matter how talented you are, or how hard you work.  A lot of it comes down to just dumb luck.  I have actor and artist friends who are WAY more talented than her and they still haven't gotten that Big Break and if they did, they would NEVER say shit like that.  It bloody pisses me off.

I know we're a little off track here, but the point does need to be made. Some actors sooner or later, get that "God or Goddess" like complex, they lose their humility and think they deserve everything or they think everyone is against them. It's those special ones that are grateful and appreciative that I respect the most.

I just wonder where Hargitay fits into this?

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 3
On 9/25/2019 at 5:26 AM, dttruman said:

I don't think SVU would be all that forgiving, if you ask me.

She gave an explanation about being grateful but had a bad day. What made it outrageous is she ended the explanation with "its great when you believe women", refering to not questioning her more, which I still to this day find so outrageous she used that phrase for her social media melt down. Celebrities being ungrateful I expect but that's a next level narcissist move to co-opt a MeToo phrase for bs. Maybe it's all the SVU but it's turned me off to her completely. 

On topic? I'm already mad about where they're taking Carisi. Season 21: Every Episode Carisi will struggle between cop and lawyer for his 60 seconds of airtime until he listens to Liv. This better be a misdirect!

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 6

I know unnecessary is this shows jam but turning Judge Barth in to a defence lawyer for Benson to get indignant over seems extra. 

Witch Hunt seems to be the words of the night. Joy. You just don't hear that enough these days. 

The lack of Noah is saving the hour. 

• Love 6

Like I mentioned earlier, Benson is still her bulldozer self, when it comes to an investigation. Considering how the detectives worked this case, I thought it was very sloppy when they have the victim wear a wire or when they are recording the video of the meet. Then Benson takes the so-called evidence to the ADA and demands they prosecute. It's no wonder the head ADA of SV crimes is very skeptical of Benson and her squad. IMO, Benson is becoming paranoid and delusional of anyone that doesn't agree with her even though they are acting in the best interest of their job. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

Captain Benson??🤣

These new changes are very unbelievable. Considering all the stuff that Benson has done wrong, premature arrests for rape, getting Dodd's son killed, having a kid commit suicide because she wanted the kid's mother to press charges, and there are so many more. How the HELL can she be promoted?

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 8

The Good:
No extraneous personal drama. As the season premieres usually serve as they way to set a tone for the season, especially when there is a change in show runners, that is a good sign. A bit of punch in the turd bowl if you will.
Ian McShane and the guest cast. Not a surprise since this wasn't exactly a stretch for him or anyone else involved, but they did elevate the material.
Carisi. Not that I am happy with the predictable "shocking SVU twist" that they came up with for his character, but I think PS did a really good job tonight and it was interesting that he was the one to crack the case watching the tape. I'm not sure that this isn't a bit of a head fake from the show (I'll go into details later) but it wasn't as bad as I feared.
Dodds. Again not happy with the plot direction, but the actor nailed it. I hope PG landed something better and it's not that that they decided he had gotten too expensive or Mariska thought his wonderfully expressive eyebrows called too much attention to her completely immobile forehead. I do wish that if they decided to recycle old mothership plots we at least got to see him punch out Ian McShane...
Kristen Bell making fun of Benson on The Good Place (not part of this episode per se, but we need to take the good where we can find it!)

The Bad:
Speaking of recycling plot lines, nobody thought they maybe they should nail things down before proceeding after they got incredibly lucky with a witness against the super powerful and connected mogul just walking in like that? I really missed Chernuchin there since this is where he used to have Fin serve as the voice of reason and the audience surrogate. This particular plot point where they make an arrest on the word of one witness and it blows up in their faces is becoming the new "Benson blunders into a hostage situation."
Of course speaking of recycled plot lines can we please get a moratorium on this espisode's plot? I really could use a good hooker murder or child abuse story. I know that IRL this story happens every day but we are so far from realism at this point that's no defense.
The Benson worship was dialed up to 11. Dodds insisting she become Captain? The whole "thank you for believing me" and her whispered benediction to the victim in the courthouse? L&O FFSVU...
It was another one of those episodes where there just weren't enough characters and I don't think this status quo is workable. They tried to paper over things by having Carisi conferencing with the squad as ADA and even making Dodds part of the squad for all intents and purposes, but the cupboard was obviously bare and it's obvious that it would be a real problem when Ice-T gets a week off or Kelli is in only a couple scenes. I'm curious to see where they go from here. I'm wondering if Carisi finding the vital clue and the conflict with his boss is setup for him returning as a detective after a few episodes. Or will Leight bring in the vice squad detective as a new member of the squad on a recurring basis? I kind of hope not as I like the actress, but what they showed us of the character looks like a recipe for Rollins 2.0.

Overall this was competently executed, but it's the same story that's dominated the show since the second half of Season 17. Wealthy, powerful man abuses women. Benson prevails, despite a half assed investigation because of her inherent righteousness, we get her whispered words of wisdom. and then the universe rewards her because she is just so special. Yawn. But as I said it was certainly done about as well as it can be given the constraints the writers are under and they didn't gives us a new soapy personal subplot as the start of a season arc so that's  a good sign. It's hard to say at this point until we know for sure where they are going. Is Carisi staying as ADA? Do we get fresh blood if he does? Do we explore a variety of social issues again? Can Leight actually stay away from constant family drama? Depending on the answers this was a meh episode that was needed to transition or a bleah episode that means we're back on the wrong track until maybe NBC cancels them and tells them to forget about Mariska's ego and give the show a decent burial. I would give it a C-, but in context it could be a B- or an F, Which is probably not the way the NBC pinheads intended the season premiere to keep the viewers coming back for more, but much like us diehards still watching this series, they'll just have to take what they can get.

• Love 8

Well, we were right about Carisi.  Ugh.  At least they're throwing a nod to something of reality by not having him go directly into the job of ADA on his own.  I guess we'll be seeing some story play out with this Hadid woman for some eps in the meantime.

An okay ep, nothing special.  It's what has become a rote ep on this show the last few seasons, the high powered guy versus Benson all in for the victim.  But, from that interview, it seems as if Leight has a plan playing out on that score over several episodes, so maybe we'll get some better payoff down the line.

What I liked?  The tip of the hat to Gunsmoke.  Carisi's goodbye party, complete with a picture of Pornstache!Carisi on the bar.  His picking up on the change in furniture in Moore's office.  His not just doing what Benson and the Chief want, but doing his new job.  (Which I still hate.)  I would've liked to have seen that arraignment at the end, since it was his first and since it meant so much to this case.  Instead, we have to get a Benson moment, looking meaningfully at all the victims, because, goodness knows, we've never seen that before.  RME

Disappointed in Judge Barth.  Very disappointed that Chief Dodds has been sent to Coventry.  I hope that is only temporary.  Very disappointed that Benson was promoted to Captain, though I appreciated that it came about more from coercion than merit, because, yeah, she sure hasn't earned it.  And now we have a squad of three, with the Captain, no doubt, doing the bulk of the work instead of sitting behind her desk like a Captain would.  

And who's gonna run?  That's what I want to know.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 6

So whoever called Carisi, a gold star for you! This all seems really strange and unbelievable, but at least he can maybe get some decent screen time now that he wont just be backup to Saint Olivia. 

The episode itself was alright, even with the added menace and talent of Ian McShane adding some much needed gravitas to the run of the mill plot, it was pretty much like many later season SVU episodes are. Some evil rich white guy in a suite as the villain, sobbing attractive woman as the victim for Olivia to champion, a few "its not your fault" refrains from Olivia, a few twists, and random people, guest characters, and main characters alike all praising the amazing wonderful compassion and brilliance of Olivia. Who is now the freaking captain now! Its going to make it even more ridiculous now when she shows up arresting perps on the street and isnt sitting behind a desk or whatever. 

I will miss Dodds, he brought a great energy to the show, I hope he can show up again from time to time, or will come back permanently when the heat dies down.

I did enjoy Carisis goodbye party, that was fun at least. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

Carisi = ADA (needs to grow a pair)

Benson = Captain (WOW) how insufferable will this get.

Dodds = Staten Island Traffic Guru

The undercover girl should become regular addition or at least a recurring asset.

Didn't hear "it wasn't your fault" not even once.

No sign of the kid (Noah). A good thing.

Fin's sport shirts were cool.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Here are my takeaways from the premiere

First, Carisi’s new job. While it’s a lot more realistic to have him start off in an ADA position instead of as lead prosecutor, it means a lot less of Carisi which is a bad thing for the show. This means the squad is almost empty handed, and we still don’t have a lead courtroom prosecutor, I wonder how much we will see of Hadid and whether she will be good or bad. I will miss Carisi as a detective, I loved how he noticed the difference in the furniture, and I will really miss the Fin/Carisi partnership. 

The story itself was unoriginal, I really wish they could’ve come up with something creative for the historic 21st season premiere, but it was executed fine and wasn’t nearly as bad as some of the other he said/she said rich people rape cases we’ve had. 

They covered for the short handed squad tonight by having Dodds in a heavy role and bringing on the vice cop, I wonder if she will join the squad or be a recurring character? Dodds was awesome as usual, he adds a real spark to his scenes that the show lacks for the most part, and I really hope we haven’t seen the last of him,  he said he would be back, so hopefully his exile to Staten Island (reminds me of Mike Logan) will be short lived and we haven’t seen the last of him, it was very nice seeing him get a heavy role tonight. 

I thought it was glossed over the fact that Hadid met with Sir Toby and didn’t tell anyone, that shows she can’t be trusted IMO, and I’m wondering if this will set up a storyline where she is forced out and Carisi gets promoted after getting some experience under his belt. 

Great to see Fin again, I hope he gets a heavier role this season with a short handed squad, I loved him slamming the cell door on Sir Toby, Fin is awesome, period!!

I really could’ve done without the scene of Pilar thanking Benson, those scenes nauseate me and only serve to boost MH’s ego, I wish we had seen Carisi’s first arraignment instead. And Benson becoming Captain? So what, it won’t change anything, but does this mean everyone will have to address her as “captain” now to placate her ego? Blah. A plus was no Noah and no personal shit, but I’m afraid that won’t last.

Overall an average premiere with an unoriginal but decently executed plot, with some good moments. I’m concerned about the show going forward, I’m afraid the short handed squad will be a lot more evident going forward and also the show won’t know what to do with Carisi or the courtroom stuff, and I’m afraid we will have a lot of personal crap soon. So while this was an okay start, I’m worried about the show going forward.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 7

There were a number of us who predicted that Carisi was going to be the ADA from a few seasons ago.  I mean, Fordham Law School and not use it??  I think Leight wanted to bring that up maybe in the second season that PS was on LO:SVU, but he was working on other shows and it kept getting pushed back.  It's almost like back in 2007 with the Writer's Strike where the shows were paused for 4 months and when they came back on, people were like, "Ummm... what??" and they didn't continue well.  Many of the shows got cancelled afterwards.  I'm not so attached to this show anymore so I don't really care if this is the last season, but the actors (except MH) don't deserve to lose their jobs because of shitty lazy writing.

Oh, and also - STOP trying to make Carisi and Rollins happen!  It's NOT going to happen!  Or, it shouldn't.  How desperate do you have to be???

6 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Here is an interview with PS talking about how he feels about it all:

Meet Law & Order SVU's New ADA

Well, he said everything he was 'supposed' to say to stay neutral and appear enthusiastic.  I'm totally fine with that.  I'm sure only his wife and closest friends know how he really feels, which is probably very different from what he said in the interview.  Again, I'm okay with that, because he wants to keep working.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, SarahPrtr said:

I'm not so attached to this show anymore so I don't really care if this is the last season, but the actors (except MH) don't deserve to lose their jobs because of shitty lazy writing.

I couldn't have put it any better!!

But are we to blame the writers or the producers who come up with these stupid scenarios and the writers have to figure out a way to fill in the blanks or explain these stupid settings?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

As literally everyone has mentioned, this type of episode has been almost done to death. They don't get any brownie points for that. Benson still continues with her "Men are guilty before proven innocent" attitude, even though her job requires her to be completely objective through the start of an investigation. How she has been promoted to Capt is a complete mystery to me. Everyone seems to be catering to Benson obsession with immediate prosecutions, but those who question her judgement seem to be labelled as "friends" of the accused. Benson showed no responsibility for that sloppy "controlled meeting" tape. It just shows her entitlement and how they let her get away with it. How many times has Cragen been reprimanded by his superiors for the same thing. An obvious bias on the part of the writers (and producers). Only through solid police work is this guy finally arrested and brought to justice.

The only redeeming part of this episode was the on location scenes shot with your typical NYC pedestrians. As for Carisi, I got a bad feeling he is going to become Benson's lap dog. I wonder if he will profess his love for Benson at the end of the season, like we've seen from Barba and Stone?

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Captain Benson and Traffic Cop Dodds sent me to sleep in a rage blackout.  I hadn't felt much for the episode then that heaping mess happened and wtf. I'm old enough remember the situation that got Dodson Jr. Killed. Too bad the writers have short term memory. The shows been going the way of Soap Operas in the past is irrelevant on a consistent basis because everyone just cares about the current storyline and where a character should go regardless of years of material that should prove it's the wrong direction /action. Plus the whole one veteran /pet eating the show.  Benson is the Sonny Corinthos /Victor Newman of Law and Order.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I thought it was glossed over the fact that Hadid met with Sir Toby and didn’t tell anyone, that shows she can’t be trusted IMO, and I’m wondering if this will set up a storyline where she is forced out and Carisi gets promoted after getting some experience under his belt. 

Right?  How could they not wrap that up.  It was huge.  

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 12
19 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:
8 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Right?  How could they not wrap that up.  It was huge.  

Edited 15 minutes ago by TV Diva Queen

I thought this could be explained in many ways. She doesn't have to report to SVU on all her comings and goings. We don't know for sure if she was feeding them information.  It was Benson herself who let out information identifying the victim who just came forward. Just after the arrest Benson  mention (I think) the skyline and Sir Toby knew who it was and then got to her right after that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The episode was indeed redundant.  One think that struck me is that some of the accusers in the episode closely resembled some of the Weinstein accusers.  Kind of creepy IMO.

I thought Mariska looked beautiful.  As a woman over 40, it is nice seeing a beautiful middle-aged woman on TV!   It seems like most women in this demographic are either ignored by Hollywood or botoxed and fillered beyond recognition.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

I thought Mariska looked beautiful.  As a woman over 40, it is nice seeing a beautiful middle-aged woman on TV!   It seems like most women in this demographic are either ignored by Hollywood or botoxed and fillered beyond recognition.

That maybe all well and good, but the Benson character is detrimental to all detectives in the NYPD. Where's the unbias search for the truth and justice for the victims. With Benson, it's not justice, it's vengeance. When she enlist the ADA to prosecute, she doesn't care if there is hardly any solid evidence, she just wants a guilty verdict.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, dttruman said:

That maybe all well and good, but the Benson character is detrimental to all detectives in the NYPD. Where's the unbias search for the truth and justice for the victims. With Benson, it's not justice, it's vengeance. When she enlist the ADA to prosecute, she doesn't care if there is hardly any solid evidence, she just wants a guilty verdict.

I used to always hate how she used to tell Barba how to do his job. She comes off too much as a vigilante. I get that she is passionate about helping victims of sexual assault and it is even more complex because she was conceived out of that type of violence.  That has to have an effect on a person to know that you are a child of rape.  I wish that the writers would give her better writing.  Olivia was very sympathetic in the early years when she used to bounce off of Stabler who was a hot head. She was more level headed in contrast to Stabler and did not have a problem challenging his opinion. Now it seems that nobody has the right to express an opinion that counters Saint Olivia..

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I used to always hate how she used to tell Barba how to do his job. She comes off too much as a vigilante

Wait until she gets her claws into Carisi. It will likely be replayed over and over unless he (carisi) grows a pair and puts her in her place, but that's probably wishful thinking.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, dttruman said:

I agree.  Olivia Benson is over the top with her personal agendas and can be annoying as hell. There is no doubt that she would have been disciplined or suspended many times in the real world.

• Love 6