Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

On 2/1/2023 at 7:39 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Is Jagged Little Pill a good show despite the controversy? I’m seeing the tour at my theater this weekend.

I’m a bit out of it, but let me guess, a jukebox musical featuring Alanis’s music?  She’s not exactly the type who’d get a biomusical just yet 

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I’m a bit out of it, but let me guess, a jukebox musical featuring Alanis’s music?  She’s not exactly the type who’d get a biomusical just yet 

16 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

It's not. It's an original story about a family that uses Alanis' music 

Exactly. And there was controversy about the Broadway running having a cisgender actress play a character that is non binary, but I’m happy to report the touring version had non-binary actors playing that role. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Saw "Come From Away" in Philly last week and freaking loved it. I was obviously familiar with the real life story but went into the show totally blind. I've already re-watched it on Apple TV. Just utterly lovely. 

I have upcoming tickets for "1776" but I'm wavering on whether I actually want to go. Reviews both here and in the press, have not been kind and I've heard it's a bit of slog. I'm debating swapping my ticket for something else. 

What would you do? 

Switch!  I've always thought 1776 was a slog (I've only seen the movie version).  How it won best musical against Hair is inexplicable.  Even Promises, Promises from that year would be better.  (I hadn't remembered any of this until I read the Burt Bacharach obituary the other day.)  What are the hit songs from 1776?  Anyone?  What are the hit songs from Hair?  Every freaking song.

• Like 2

When I come across the movie version of 1776, I calculate so that I can turn it back on for the last 5-10 minutes.  Otherwise, no.  I’m not rushing to see if the live version is better.

• Like 1

I have upcoming tickets for "1776" but I'm wavering on whether I actually want to go. Reviews both here and in the press, have not been kind and I've heard it's a bit of slog. I'm debating swapping my ticket for something else. 

Sorry for being lazy. This was on my list of shows I saw but didn't get around to reviewing. I might still do it at some point.

The short version is that the production was mostly competent as a showcase for the actors but failed in its overarching concept. It's strongest if you treat it as a concert with nontraditional casting. That said, taking a quick look at the tour cast, they replaced most of the Broadway cast and some of the few holdovers have been promoted to more prominent roles. Thus, I cannot recommend it so you can see a certain performances. You would be gambling on the casting director's choices. If there's something better, I would swap unless you like a particular actor in the touring cast. https://www.1776musical.com/

What are the hit songs from 1776?

He Plays the Violin, Momma Look Sharp, Molasses to Rum

• Like 1
2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Sorry for being lazy. This was on my list of shows I saw but didn't get around to reviewing. I might still do it at some point.

The short version is that the production was mostly competent as a showcase for the actors but failed in its overarching concept. It's strongest if you treat it as a concert with nontraditional casting. That said, taking a quick look at the tour cast, they replaced most of the Broadway cast and some of the few holdovers have been promoted to more prominent roles. Thus, I cannot recommend it so you can see a certain performances. You would be gambling on the casting director's choices. If there's something better, I would swap unless you like a particular actor in the touring cast. https://www.1776musical.com/

These are great serious and operatic songs, not "hit" songs.  Oh, well, I guess the judges went for serious that year. 

https://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/atg-forms-new-partnership-with-jujamcyn_94867.html

Ambassador Theatre Group (ATG) has announced a new partnership with Broadway theater owner Jujamcyn, who oversee five New York houses.

The move will see the two organizations join forces and broaden ATG's portfolio of theatres. The five venues in question are the St. James, Al Hirschfeld, August Wilson, Eugene O'Neill, and Walter Kerr, housing a variety of long-running and new Broadway productions including Hadestown, Moulin Rouge! The Musical, Funny Girl, The Book of Mormon, and New York, New York.

Jordan Roth of Jujamcyn will sit on the board as the largest individual shareholder of the combined group and serve as Creative Director. Mark Cornell of ATG will serve as CEO.

@EtheltoTillie Admittedly, people who think 1776 has catchy songs also think Hellfire from The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a bop. But people love Hadestown so that contingent exists. I agree that Hair is all bops though. Something I will eventually say if I ever get around to writing a review is that I was surprised at how goofy some of the humor in 1776 was. It wasn't bathroom humor or crass or mean-spirited like contemporary humor but it definitely had a hyuck, hyuck "this was written by men" energy.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/DArcy-Carden-Katie-Finneran-Scott-Foley-Chris-Sullivan-Will-Lead-THE-THANKSGIVING-PLAY-on-Broadway-20230214

What a weird, interesting cast.

Second Stage Theater has just announced the cast for its upcoming production of Larissa FastHorse's play, The Thanksgiving Play: Emmy Award-nominee D'Arcy Carden ("The Good Place," "A League of Their Own"), Two-time Tony Award-winner Katie Finneran (Noises Off; Promises, Promises), Scott Foley ("Scandal," "The Unit"), and Two-time Emmy Award-nominee Chris Sullivan ("This Is Us," Hadestown). This all-new production, directed by Tony Award-winner Rachel Chavkin, will begin previews March 25th at 8pm and will officially open on April 20th at Second Stage's Hayes Theater (240 West 44th Street).

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I appreciate your insight! 

I "think" the only thing I can swap it for at this point would be Beetlejuice, but the website has been down for a week due to a cyber attack so I can't confirm it. 

Last week I saw Lea Michele in Funny Girl. I had previously seen it with Julie Benko, who was lovely. But omg, Lea Michele took the show to a whole new level. She ALMOST made the weakness of the book (especially in Act 2) bearable. Her pipe are amazing. Tickets are expensive but if you buy close to curtain time there are some $99 seats available.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/15/2023 at 7:02 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

Last week I saw Lea Michele in Funny Girl. I had previously seen it with Julie Benko, who was lovely. But omg, Lea Michele took the show to a whole new level. She ALMOST made the weakness of the book (especially in Act 2) bearable. Her pipe are amazing. Tickets are expensive but if you buy close to curtain time there are some $99 seats available.

Leah is a talent and she has a set of pipes on her! It was painful to hear of her bad behavior with co-workers because she’s so talented you can’t help but admire her. 

I always imagined her in that part. Also in the movie version of Wicked (as Elphaba of course). 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Leah is a talent and she has a set of pipes on her! It was painful to hear of her bad behavior with co-workers because she’s so talented you can’t help but admire her. 

I always imagined her in that part. Also in the movie version of Wicked (as Elphaba of course). 

Not really excusing Lea but Lea was a child actress. Many child actors develop a reputation for rude, unprofessional behavior when they become adults. 

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/203060/watch-ben-crawford-talk-about-the-phantom-of-the-operas-legacy-in-this-extended-interview-from-the-broadway-show/

I caught the show tonight for the 20th time. Kanisha was Christine and she was just as lovely as before, except she tripped and fell at the end of the "Bravo, Monsieur" sequence. And the guns didn't go off, though I'm not sure if that's a mistake or a change they're making.

Edited by Dr.OO7

https://www.vulture.com/2023/02/hawkeye-captain-america-musical-disneyland-resort.html

Disney is creating a whole new theme-park attraction just to roast Julie Taymor and Bono. Today, the company announced that it’s adapting the fake Captain America musical from Hawkeye into a real, live stage production that will debut at Disney’s California Adventure Park in Anaheim this summer. In the Disney+ and Marvel series, Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye watches a cheesy Broadway production called Rogers: The Musical that turns Cap’s life into a misguided musical extravaganza full of triple threats belting and grand jété-ing their way through famous moments from The Avengers’s climactic Battle of New York.

The artwork outside of the theater is a riff on Hamilton, because in the MCU, the events of The Avengers are U.S. history. But what we see of the show, with its electric guitar wailing and cardboard comic-book sets, is clearly referencing Julie Taymor’s failed blockbuster superhero musical, Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark. [...] The California Adventure Park production will debut for a limited run this summer, but if you’re desperately curious about what a live Rogers: The Musical looks like, Disney tested out the concept in December at its D23 Expo.

• Love 1

Moulin Rouge! The Musical will welcome platinum-selling singer, songwriter, and actress Joanna 'JoJo' Levesque making her Broadway debut in the role of 'Satine' beginning Tuesday, April 11 at Broadway's Al Hirschfeld Theatre (302 West 45th St, NYC). She will play a 14-week limited engagement through July 16.

JoJo will star opposite Tony Award® nominee Derek Klena who returns to the production in the role of "Christian." Ashley Loren and Tony Award® winner Aaron Tveit play their final performance as "Satine" and "Christian," respectively, on Sunday, April 9.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Joanna-JoJo-Levesque-Will-Make-Her-Broadway-Debut-as-Satine-in-MOULIN-ROUGE-THE-MUSICAL-20230223

I know rehearsal footage lies. But just based on this, I feel like he's doing a lot of acting with the voice but the singing voice is still lacking. He still sounds like a tenor to me. He's just putting some flavor on it with an accent and emphatic delivery. It's all happening in the mouth and not where the sound is actually coming from.

• Useful 1

Tony winner Lea Salonga will costar in the Broadway production of Here Lies Love this summer for five weeks only at the Broadway Theatre, July 11-August 13.

Salonga, who also joins the producing team, will take on the role of Aurora Aquino, mother of activist Ninoy Aquino, played by Conrad Ricamora. Salonga will get to sing the David Byrne-Fatboy Slim power ballad "Just Ask the Flowers." It marks the first time that the Philippines-native will play a Filipino role on a Broadway stage.

After Salonga's five-week run ends, guest stars from the Philippines will take over the role, showcasing the country's abundant talent.

https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/lea-salonga-to-join-here-lies-love-on-broadway-for_94909.html

• Like 2

We are planning to go to the Stratford Festival this summer.  First time in 5 years.  I'm taking my oldest grandson and we'll we seeing A Wrinkle in Time.  I'll be taking in Much Ado About Nothing and right now I'm trying to decide whether I want to see Casey and Diana or not.  It's about the time Princess Diana went to an AIDS hospice and famously shook hands with a young AIDS victim.  It sounds like it should be very good but also sad as hell.  I know I shouldn't limit my theatre selections to upbeat and to musicals but I admit it, I don't want to sit in a theatre and cry.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
7 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

We are planning to go to the Stratford Festival this summer.  First time in 5 years.  I'm taking my oldest grandson and we'll we seeing A Wrinkle in Time.  I'll be taking in Much Ado About Nothing and right now I'm trying to decide whether I want to see Casey and Diana or not.  It's about the time Princess Diana went to an AIDS hospice and famously shook hands with a young AIDS victim.  It sounds like it should be very good but also sad as hell.  I know I shouldn't limit my theatre selections to upbeat and to musicals but I admit it, I don't want to sit in a theatre and cry.

I haven’t gone in years!  I remember going back in high school and one year, our bus broke down in the middle of the highway and we got home around 9 or 10 pm

3 hours ago, PRgal said:

I haven’t gone in years!  I remember going back in high school and one year, our bus broke down in the middle of the highway and we got home around 9 or 10 pm

I grew up in Montreal so no school trips to Stratford for me!  I've been going every couple of years for ages now - until Covid intervened.  I'm really looking forward to going back!  

• Like 2

While there are some exceptions, the more theater I see, the less FOMO I feel. My memory doesn't burn very bright. It's why I make an effort to write down reviews or at least thoughts after the performance when I can. I buy tickets when I think I'm going to have a solid experience in the theater and I budget accordingly... I'm not spending $100 on a performance I'm going to forget in a month. There are only a handful of shows I regret not seeing live. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I grew up in Montreal so no school trips to Stratford for me!  I've been going every couple of years for ages now - until Covid intervened.  I'm really looking forward to going back!  

Rent is going to be at Stratford this year if you're interested.  Just bringing it up since you mentioned Casey and Diana.

• Like 1

The Phantom Of The Opera 's 3rd to last show  on April 14 will be raising money for various charities. Tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/THE-PHANTOM-OF-THE-OPERA-to-Present-Special-Charity-Performance-Closing-Week-20230316.

As far as the other shows, tickets are mostly sold out for nearly all of them, but StubHub has, if you don't mind paying $12,000 for an orchestra seat.

https://www.stubhub.com/the-phantom-of-the-opera-new-york-tickets/performer/10170/

(Yes, I actually saw a ticket for that price)

BTW, Lucy St. Louis has finished her run as London's first black Christine--there's now a black Madame Giry as well--and is now London's first black Glinda in "Wicked".

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

What's the word on the street about Sweeney Todd with Josh Groban?  I love the show, but would have to take an 8-hour train trip (each way!) to NYC to see it.  Worth it or nah?

If you have the patience to wade through about 15 pages of "word on the street" (along with some personal bitching), here's the thread on BroadwayWorld starting the date the show started previews.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1155152&page=15

I wasn't interested before reading this, and I'm still not interested.  I absolutely loved the original production, and really enjoyed the Sondheim Celebration production at the Kennedy Center (whenever that was) and would have liked to see it in the pie shop a couple/few years ago (but didn't make it).  However, this casting doesn't interest me at all. 

If you don't have patience with that thread (which I'd totally understand), maybe someone in the NYC contingent here has seen it and will chime in. 

• LOL 1

So of course, I bought a ticket for the April 14 show. I was hoping to sit in the orchestra section one last time, but those cost $1500. 

On the plus side, there's no service charge, so. . .

• Mind Blown 2
On 3/17/2023 at 5:55 AM, Browncoat said:

I’m not crazy about the casting, but it’s got to be better than the travesty that was the Johnny Depp version, right?  I’ll check out that link later, when I’m at work. 

While I didn’t think the movie was that bad, I’ve heard nothing but good things about this production! Say what you must about Groban, but the man has a voice.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Thanks 2

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Final-Sondheim-Musical-HERE-WE-ARE-Will-Get-World-Premiere-This-Fall-20230316

Producer Tom Kirdahy has just announced the world premiere of HERE WE ARE, the final musical by legendary composer Stephen Sondheim.

The musical, formerly known as Square One, features a book by Tony Award nominee David Ives and is inspired by the two films The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and The Exterminating Angel by Luis Buñuel.

Direction of the new musical is by Tony Award winner Joe Mantello. Executive Producers are Sue Wagner, John Johnson and Jillian Robbins.

Co-presented by The Shed; Artistic Director Alex Poots, President and COO Maryann Jordan, and Chief Executive Producer Madani Younis.

The strictly limited engagement will begin September 2023 in The Shed's Griffin Theater. Ticket on-sale information and casting will be announced soon.

• Useful 2

I saw Beetlejuice at Wharton Center and it may be a cult show, but it was the funniest cult show I’ve ever seen! Justin Collette killed it in the lead role, even though I’m so used to watching clips of Alex Brightman. I was hoping the touring shoe would get in some ad-libs and they did—he screams “JUMANJI!” at a certain part.

Easily my favorite show this season.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
On 3/18/2023 at 9:10 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Say what you must about Groban, but the man has a voice.

I saw the piece on Groban and Sweeney on CBS Sunday Morning today, and it has me leaning towards a train trip to NY!  He does have a voice.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So is there any love for Beetlejuice here? I’m a sucker for fun and funny shows like Something Rotten and Spamalot and Book of Mormon, and that show definitely ranks up with them.

I really enjoyed Something Rotten, Spamalot and Book of Mormon.  I wish I could say the same for Beetlejuice.  Maybe it's because I saw the second show ever (the pre-Broadway tryout in DC) and it just wasn't any good at that point.  I just felt it wasn't even good enough to try again later after it was "fixed."  

That said, there seems to be lots of folks who love it as much as you do.  So as long as you had a great time, go with that! 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I really enjoyed Something Rotten, Spamalot and Book of Mormon.  I wish I could say the same for Beetlejuice.  Maybe it's because I saw the second show ever (the pre-Broadway tryout in DC) and it just wasn't any good at that point.  I just felt it wasn't even good enough to try again later after it was "fixed."  

That said, there seems to be lots of folks who love it as much as you do.  So as long as you had a great time, go with that! 

No, I get why not everyone likes it. I’m not even a Tim Burton fan per se. It was just fun and I’ve been so stressed about, well, everything, that I needed a laugh. And laughs I got lol.

The next show I’m seeing in April is Tina! And before that the new season will be announced, and I hope hoping for Six!!!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2

For us Judy Kuhn lovers, Fall 2023 per Classic Stage Company:

"I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE

book by JEROME WEIDMAN
music and lyrics by HAROLD ROME
book revisions by JOHN WEIDMAN
directed by TRIP CULLMAN

starring Tony Award winner SANTINO FONTANA and Tony Award nominee JUDY KUHN

It's 1937 in New York City's Garment District, and shipping clerk Harry Bogen (Tony-winner Santino Fontana) would love to sell you a bill of goods. In this dark musical comedy, Bronx-born Harry must choose between the comfort of community and his own ambitious dreams. He'll have to do whatever it takes to get ahead, and even more to stay there. Better watch your back – sewing needles can be sharp. Last seen on Broadway in 1962, I Can Get It For You Wholesale showcases memorable Harold Rome tunes, including the iconic “Miss Marmelstein,” and a book based on his own novel by Jerome Weidman. CSC’s production features a reimagined book by his son, John Weidman (Assassins), helmed by director Trip Cullman (Choir Boy)."

• Like 3

Phantom Of The Opera is having a lottery for tickets to its final show on April 16. They'll be in the rear mezzanine, though I'm not sure exactly where, and cost $99 should you win. Enter before midnight 3/31 and there will be drawings April 3, 4, 5, 6, with 24 hours to purchase should you win.

https://rush.telecharge.com/

On 3/20/2023 at 9:31 PM, ebk57 said:

really enjoyed Something Rotten, Spamalot

Spamalot was hysterical. I regret seeing it only once.

Something Rotten was okay.

https://nystagereview.com/2023/03/23/bad-cinderella-a-musical-that-turns-into-a-pumpkin/

Is it too late to rename the show “Great Stepmother?”

Not that the stepmother in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s new musical is virtuous, not by any means. But thanks to three-time Tony nominee Carolee Carmello’s uproarious performance, she becomes the dominant force in Bad Cinderella.

It’s one of the few saving graces of this campy exercise in fairy tale exhumation which inexplicably received favorable reviews in its original London incarnation but will require a genuine Fairy Godmother to make its spell last longer than midnight on Broadway.

It’s hard to know exactly to whom the show is pitched, except perhaps bachelorette groups or their male equivalents who are bored with Chippendales. Indeed, there are so many hunky shirtless men parading around the Imperial Theatre you think the show marks the return of the Ridiculous Theatrical Company, minus Charles Ludlam’s wit. There’s even a lengthy scene featuring them fencing while bare-chested, because everyone knows that when you’re fencing you want to expose as much skin as possible.

The sophomoric book is credited to Emerald Fennell, who won an Academy Award for Promising Young Woman and seems intent here on belying that film’s title. Alexis Scheer is credited with “Book Adaptation” on the program’s title page and “Additional Book Material” in the bios, so it’s anyone’s guess what she actually contributed. The musical’s title seems to refer to the fact that Cinderella (Linedy Genao, underwhelming in what should have been a breakout turn) is introduced while defacing a statue of Prince Charming. She’s also rather petulant, but “Petulant Cinderella” but wouldn’t look as catchy on the marquee. In any case, the character doesn’t make any sense. Nor is she appealing, which presumably explains why she disappears for long stretches in a musical revolving around her.

Since Prince Charming has disappeared and is presumed dead, the next in line to the throne is the hapless Prince Sebastian (Jordan Dobson, recently seen in A Beautiful Noise), apparently a childhood friend of Cinderella’s (you’d think they would have traveled in different circles). They live in the town of Belleville, ruled by the maniacal Queen (Grace McLean, another bright spot in the show) and populated by lots of beautiful people looking like they do their clothes shopping at Frederick’s of Hollywood.

Naturally, Cinderella doesn’t exactly get along with her domineering stepmother (Carmello, the show’s MVP) or her two stepsisters (Sami Gayle, Morgan Higgins) who look like they’ve stepped out of Vanderpump Rules. The stepmother and the Queen seem to have shared some sort of checkered past, as not too subtly hinted at in the amusing song “I Know You.” That number, incidentally, constitutes one of the show’s highlights, as it allows Carmello and McLean to let it rip with the sort of comic gusto suggesting they know they’ve got some heavy lifting to do to keep the show running.

There is, of course, the Godmother (Christina Acosta Robinson, somehow maintaining her dignity), a plastic surgeon (what?!?!) who transforms Cinderella into Storm from the X-Men, or at least that’s what she looks like. And, spoiler alert, Prince Charming returns near the show’s end, making it very clear that he has no interest in marrying…a woman, at least. He’s played by Cameron Loyal, who packs so many muscles on top of muscles that you fear the stage will buckle under his weight.

Webber displays little of his gift for melody, purloined or otherwise, in the blandly generic score, which features enough power ballads to stop the show dead so many times the stagehands should be equipped with defibrillators. Weirdly, many of them are sung with the stage turntable in constant rotation, as if the performers were attempting to get as many steps in as possible. Of course, they may also be trying to outrun the atrocious lyrics by David Zippel, by now making it clear that his superb work for City of Angels is but a distant memory. On the other hand, you have to admire his chutzpah, if not sophistication, in rhyming “Cinderella” with “salmonella.”

So relentlessly vulgar and campy that it would make Ron DeSantis’ head explode (now there’s a pull quote), Bad Cinderella is the sort of terrible show whose defenders would describe it as “fun,” as if anyone looking for genuine quality in a Broadway musical for which tickets costs hundreds of dollars is a cranky spoilsport. The sheer cynicism of the entire enterprise, designed to capitalize on the public’s seemingly insatiable appetite for irreverent fairy tale adaptations, is enough to turn a carriage into a pumpkin.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Gee, I guess School of Rock really was Lord Andy’s last hurrah after all, huh?

Well, it was an awesome show, so as far as that, he's got nothing to be ashamed of.

By the way, I made a mistake in my earlier post--enter the Phantom lottery before NOON on 3/31, not midnight.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Well, it was an awesome show, so as far as that, he's got nothing to be ashamed of.

Oh, don’t get me wrong I LOVE School of Rock! I really thought it was a sign he was getting his groove back after the Love Never Dies trashfire. But judging from Bad Cinderella reviews, I guess not…

55 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Got tickets to Merrily in January! 

I hadn't even realized they'd turned this into a musical!  I really need to get out more!  I bet it's awesome - with an original story by Kaufman and Hart it's got to be good!

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

But judging from Bad Cinderella reviews, I guess not…

It sounds like they intended it to be gloriously camp or something. I don't know if it was better-received in Britain but the reviews are giving me flashbacks to the moment in Diana(!) The Musical where James Hewitt enters on his mechanical horse (bull?).

25 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I hadn't even realized they'd turned this into a musical!  I really need to get out more!  I bet it's awesome - with an original story by Kaufman and Hart it's got to be good!

Where to begin...  

The show premiered in 1981.  I think it ran for about 2 weeks.  I saw one of the first previews, where the most memorable thing to me was a character crashing into a paper swimming pool.  Yes, really. The book is not good.

That said, the score is glorious.  I love it so much.  And the theme of the show - old friends - touches me deeply.  And that's why I've tried to see most of the rewrites to the book.  People have been trying to fix it since 1981, but I really think it's not fixable.  However, I'll always go just to hear the score.  And this time, to see Daniel Radcliff.  I've never read a Harry Potter book, nor seen any of the movies, but I've seen him on stage and he throws himself into everything so convincingly.  

I'm really looking forward to this.  I'm pretty certain the show still won't work overall, but still... I keep hoping.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, ebk57 said:

That said, the score is glorious.  I love it so much.  And the theme of the show - old friends - touches me deeply.  And that's why I've tried to see most of the rewrites to the book.

Every time Merrily comes up I am surprised to hear that it was a flop because I have convinced myself that I have seen a filmed version, and after some digging it turns out that the number Opening Doors in Six by Sondheim made an outsize impression on me. I also watched The Best Worst Thing that Ever Could Have Happened not that long ago and I don't know why I haven't got it through my thick head yet that that is Merrily. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Every time Merrily comes up I am surprised to hear that it was a flop because I have convinced myself that I have seen a filmed version, and after some digging it turns out that the number Opening Doors in Six by Sondheim made an outsize impression on me. I also watched The Best Worst Thing that Ever Could Have Happened not that long ago and I don't know why I haven't got it through my thick head yet that that is Merrily. 

The movie isn’t going to come out for decades because the director apparently wants to film the cast aging naturally rather than just using makeup.

• Mind Blown 1