Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

So... I would really like to share my thoughts on KPOP but the recent discussions have been way too depressing for me to clear my head and write without that negativity weighing me down. I even skipped the Audra McDonald concert at Carnegie Hall because I just couldn't leave the house. If I don't get to writing about KPOP anytime soon, I would urge you to see it if you can IF you like pop music (obviously don't see it if the idea of a pop concert doesn't appeal) and if you're open to treating it like an off-Broadway show doing something interesting with diegetic music. If there's one positive thing that has come from feeling so excluded by this community, it's that the subsequent discussions have helped codify my own understanding and appreciation for the way the show presents a story beyond the typical musical theater form through performance. In a way, it's not that different from a dance musical and I think that's the kind of approach you should take when seeing it. 

https://playbill.com/article/the-new-york-times-responds-to-kpop-review-controversy

• Like 1

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/KPOP-Announces-Final-Performance-on-Broadway-20221206

Today, the producers of KPOP announced that the groundbreaking new musical will have its final Broadway performance on Sunday, December 11 at Circle in the Square Theatre. The final performance will be host to a special Asian American and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) Community Event and panel discussion to celebrate and reflect on AAPI representation on Broadway and beyond. KPOP will have played 44 preview performances and 17 regular performances.

200 complimentary tickets are being offered to AAPI community members and youth for the final performance, followed by a panel discussion with top AAPI theatre artists. Panelists will include the first Asian American playwright to win a Tony Award, David Henry Hwang; the first Asian female composer in Broadway history, KPOP's Helen Park; Korean playwright Hansol Jung; and actor Pun Bandhu. This performance is supported by TAAF (The Asian American Foundation) in collaboration with Gold House, AAPAC (Asian American Performers Action Coalition), and Ma-Yi Theater Company. KPOP is making history by being the first Broadway production to feature Korean stories written by Korean American creatives, along with 18 cast members, all of AAPI descent, making their Broadway debuts.

• Sad 4
26 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Saw Pretty Woman and it was a lot of fun, but I didn’t know Adam Pascal was in the touring cast! I’m not a Renthead, but still it was amazing to see him live!

Adam's in the cast?  As Edward?  

How was it?  How does it compare to the movie?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Adam's in the cast?  As Edward?  

How was it?  How does it compare to the movie?

Oh yes, he’s Edward. Almost didn’t recognize him because he’s older but that voice is still fantastic.

It’s pretty much the same as the movie minus the graphic sex parts lol. And they add in a part where Barney teaches Vivian to dance that’s pretty much taken from The Princess Diaries. Hey they’re both Garry Marshall movies 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
48 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh yes, he’s Edward. 

Thanks for making me feel old.  I suppose I shouldn’t feel this way.  I’m 43 now.  Richard Gere was a year or two younger when the movie came out!  Do I need to tell kids to get off my lawn yet?

• LOL 3

Got tickets for our trip next week - Piano Lesson, Death of a Salesman and Leopoldstadt.  Hoping for miracle Merrily tickets.  We'll see...

Right now, I'm watching the livestream of Patti Lupone at 54 Below.  Love her. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I saw the touring production of Jagged Little Pill in Philly over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It skewed a bit too YA for my tastes but I appreciated that it wasn't just a standard jukebox musical (which I really can't stand.) I didn't follow any of the behind-the-scenes stuff when it debuted and Diablo Cody is REALLY hit or miss for me, but I love the music so I was willing to overlook some of the story limitations. 

MVPs were Heidi Blickenstaff (Mary Jane), Jade McLeod (Jo), and Allison Sheppard (Bella). Heidi in particular was just phenomenal. 

• Like 1
On 1/1/2023 at 8:13 PM, ebk57 said:

Got tickets for our trip next week - Piano Lesson, Death of a Salesman and Leopoldstadt.  Hoping for miracle Merrily tickets.  We'll see...

Right now, I'm watching the livestream of Patti Lupone at 54 Below.  Love her. 

How did your theater tix work out?  I have a lucky friend who saw Merrily last week.  She raved.  But it will be going to Broadway.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
grammar
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

How did your theater tix work out?  I had a lucky friend who saw Merrily last week.  She raved.  But it will be going to Broadway.

Thanks for asking!  I'd made plans with friends from another board (I know - I'm cheating on this place 😄 ), so I told my friend who had put us on the waiting list to take us off the waiting list because I didn't want to know I had tickets and have to turn them down.  So he said he did, then told me anyway that we could have had the tickets.  Sigh...  well, at least it's coming to Broadway!  And I had a lovely afternoon with friends!!

I thought both Piano Lesson and Death of a Salesman were well worth seeing.  Both had flaws, but overall, I'm very glad I saw them.  I'm sad to say that I wasn't quite focused for Leopoldstadt (since I'd just had a lovely afternoon with friends...), so it didn't really stick with me.  But Mr. ebk and our friend who was with us thought it was excellent.  I'm going to try to read it at some point. 

• Like 1

https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/david-byrne-and-fatboy-slims-here-lies-love-to-run_94751.html

There has been endless chatter about whether Ruthie would continue with the show given Sweeney Todd and A Light in the Piazza at NYCC. I'll be curious to see how this develops. Hopefully there will be affordable, easy to obtain (like not Funny Girl lottery tickets) tickets this time. Since I didn't hate KPOP, I don't particularly care about the show being immersive. I'm also getting too old and grumpy to enjoy standing for hours so I just hope the actual material (songs, story) is good. 

Here Lies Love, David Byrne and Fatboy Slim's immersive disco pop musical inspired by the life of Imelda Marcos, will come to Broadway this summer. Previews will begin on June 17 at the Broadway Theatre, with opening night set for July 20.

Conceived by Byrne, lead singer of the Talking Heads, and featuring a score by Byrne and Fatboy Slim (as well as additional music by Tom Gandey and J Pardo), Here Lies Love won 2013 Drama Desk Awards for Outstanding Music, Lighting, and Projection Design, as well as the Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding New Off-Broadway Musical.

The Broadway run will once again be developed and directed by Alex Timbers and choreographed by Annie-B Parson, completing a decade-long collaboration on the project which took them from concept album to the Public Theater to the West End. Once again, the productions will have sets by David Korins, costumes by Clint Ramos, lighting by Justin Townsend, sound by M.L. Dogg and Cody Spencer, and projections by Peter Nigrini.

Timbers's staging will transform the Broadway Theatre into a dance club, where audiences will stand and move around with the actors. A wide variety of standing and seating options will be available throughout the space.

Complete casting is still to be announced. The original off-Broadway run featured Ruthie Ann Miles as Imelda, alongside Conrad Ricamora and Jose Llana.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Some casting news for the London production of The Phantom Of The Opera:

https://theatrefan.co.uk/jon-robyns-holly-anne-hull-paige-blankson-more-announced-for-west-end-production-of-the-phantom-of-the-opera/

Including Paige Blankson as the latest black actress to play Christine (as the alternate).

It's strange how you can count the number of black actresses to play Christine on one hand, yet it's still a monumental amount.

It's interesting how Phantom only recently started to cast colour-blind while there are other shows (e.g. Les Mis) who have done it since the 90s.  I think Shanice was the first non-white Eponine in Les Mis.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, PRgal said:

It's interesting how Phantom only recently started to cast colour-blind while there are other shows (e.g. Les Mis) who have done it since the 90s.  I think Shanice was the first non-white Eponine in Les Mis.  

I agree. It took WAY too long for TPTB to cast a black actress as Christine.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I agree. It took WAY too long for TPTB to cast a black actress as Christine.

By the way, who was the first Asian Christine? Anyone know?  

ETA:  I think Ricky Martin was the first Latino Marius.  Maybe they should bring him back as Valjean (because Valjean surely had a Vida Loca! (#sorrynotsorry))

Edited by PRgal
Had to add the Ricky Martin thing...too funny/not funny
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

By the way, who was the first Asian Christine? Anyone know?

I think it was Margaret Ann Gates in the Toronto production. Incidentally, she was the first Asian actress to play Ellen in Miss Saigon (towards the end of its first Broadway run), significantly altering the dynamic of the relationship between Kim/Chris/Ellen--now it looked like Chris married Ellen because she reminded him of Kim, not to get on with his life.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I think it was Margaret Ann Gates in the Toronto production. Incidentally, she was the first Asian actress to play Ellen in Miss Saigon (towards the end of its first Broadway run), significantly altering the dynamic of the relationship between Kim/Chris/Ellen--now it looked like Chris married Ellen because she reminded him of Kim, not to get on with his life.

I saw MAG as Ellen and it was...weird since I felt the same way.  It was like Ellen was thinking "does he even REALLY love me?"  I didn't know she was in POTO...and I live in Toronto!   Plus never realized she had such a wide range.  Ellen isn't a soprano role.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, PRgal said:

I saw MAG as Ellen and it was...weird since I felt the same way.  It was like Ellen was thinking "does he even REALLY love me?"  I didn't know she was in POTO...and I live in Toronto!   Plus never realized she had such a wide range.  Ellen isn't a soprano role.  

I really wish I'd gotten to see her. She was playing the part when I went to see it shortly before it closed, but it was an understudy that night. I remember doing a double take when I saw her picture in the Playbill, but suddenly, it made perfect sense and I wondered why the casting department hadn't cast an Asian woman in the first place. Ellen becomes a LOT more sympathetic and less self-centered in the scenes where she's wondering if Chris loves her or Kim.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Ellen becomes a LOT more sympathetic and less self-centered in the scenes where she's wondering if Chris loves her or Kim

Casting an Asian woman as Ellen would have really hammered it home that Chris had a White Savior Complex. He more or less admits later in the show that what he felt for Kim wasn't real love: he subconsciously wanted to save her to prove that he was still a good American and that he didn't fight in a pointless war for nothing.

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Casting an Asian woman as Ellen would have really hammered it home that Chris had a White Savior Complex. He more or less admits later in the show that what he felt for Kim wasn't real love: he subconsciously wanted to save her to prove that he was still a good American and that he didn't fight in a pointless war for nothing.

What song is this in again?  I haven’t listened to the recording in a few years.  Is it the part where he says it was for a week or so?  

47 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

“The Confrontation”

Thanks.  Looked at the lyrics.  You're sort of right, but Chris also seems to claim that Kim kept him sane (probably not, but anyway).  I haven't seen the show in more than 20 years so I don't really remember everything.  I was in my early 20s back then, so I viewed things very differently than I do now, as a 43 year old.  From (an Asian) Ellen's perspective, there's also "I've got to live with people thinking that we're a 'normal' family, but we aren't."  She's got guilt too. 

• Like 1
On 1/20/2023 at 6:06 PM, PRgal said:

Thanks.  Looked at the lyrics.  You're sort of right, but Chris also seems to claim that Kim kept him sane (probably not, but anyway).  I haven't seen the show in more than 20 years so I don't really remember everything.  I was in my early 20s back then, so I viewed things very differently than I do now, as a 43 year old.  From (an Asian) Ellen's perspective, there's also "I've got to live with people thinking that we're a 'normal' family, but we aren't."  She's got guilt too. 

Yeah. Nevertheless, I still side-eye her and Chris for not doing right by Kim by not even offering to bring her AND Tam to the US. It was a messed up situation that Ellen didn’t ask to be in, but neither did Kim. She should not have had to kill herself just to get a better life for her son. While I’m not sure how the rules for refugees were back then, I don’t think it would have been impossible for them to help her get out of Bangkok and set her and Tam up somewhere in the US where she and Chris could split custody of Tam. Not to mention get Kim some much-needed therapy.

I know they were staying true to the Madame Butterfly ending, but that doesn’t make it a good ending.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah. Nevertheless, I still side-eye her and Chris for not doing right by Kim by not even offering to bring her AND Tam to the US. It was a messed up situation that Ellen didn’t ask to be in, but neither did Kim. She should not have had to kill herself just to get a better life for her son. While I’m not sure how the rules for refugees were back then, I don’t think it would have been impossible for them to help her get out of Bangkok and set her and Tam up somewhere in the US where she and Chris could split custody of Tam. Not to mention get Kim some much-needed therapy.

I know they were staying true to the Madame Butterfly ending, but that doesn’t make it a good ending.

A lot of Vietnamese refugees came to this side of the Pacific at that time, so I’m not sure it would be that complicated.  Though I’m not sure if it ever occurred to the composers and writers.  I have a book on the whole show and they already stated they were going to make Chris (and Ellen) less of an a-hole than Pinkerton and Kate from Butterfly.  

• Like 1
On 1/16/2023 at 4:40 PM, aradia22 said:

Thursday night is Julie Benko. If I'm going, it's to see Lea Michele.

Actually, there's a Thursday in February that is Lea ?Michele but mist people haven't realized it.

I'm on my way home from the 35th Anniversary performance of The Phantom Of The Opera.

Phenomenal as always. Not that the actors have ever given a bad performance, but something about knowing that this the last major milestone the show will mark seemed to really be driving them. Emilie Kouatchou absolutely blew me away with her work in the title song and "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again"--the audience clapped and cheered for so long--as they did at MANY signature moments--that there was almost a delay in the action.

After the curtain call, the Phantom actor commemorated the event, which was also the 13,860th show and praised everyone in the cast and crew before there was a giant golden confetti shower.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 1/23/2023 at 9:53 PM, PRgal said:

have a book on the whole show and they already stated they were going to make Chris (and Ellen) less of an a-hole than Pinkerton and Kate from Butterfly.  

Chris was less of a jerk than Pinkerton, but ironically, Ellen, to me, ended up being MORE of a jerk than Kate--she promised to love Butterfly's son as if he were her own, a stark contrast to Ellen refusing to take Tam. And I don't think that was just simply not wanting to separate a mother and child, she just didn't want a permanent reminder of Chris having been in love with someone before her.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Chris was less of a jerk than Pinkerton, but ironically, Ellen, to me, ended up being MORE of a jerk than Kate--she promised to love Butterfly's son as if he were her own, a stark contrast to Ellen refusing to take Tam. And I don't think that was just simply not wanting to separate a mother and child, she just didn't want a permanent reminder of Chris having been in love with someone before her.

Bingo.

Chris was flawed, yes, but I will concede that he didn’t mean to hurt Kim. Regardless, he could have had more of a spine instead of agreeing with Ellen that Kim and Tam were better off in Bangkok; my guess is he wanted to keep moving on because he didn’t want a permanent reminder of how much he screwed up.

The Phantom show sounds amazing. I wish I could go see it before it closes but traveling to NYC is more complicated these days lol.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Which would make an Asian Ellen even MORE of a bitch than one who is not.  Though I can see other issues from her family arising (culturally related ones) as well.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The Phantom show sounds amazing. I wish I could go see it before it closes but traveling to NYC is more complicated these days lol.

It really is.

You have until April 15 (or, technically, the 13, as the 14 and 15 shows are sold out). 

6 hours ago, PRgal said:

Which would make an Asian Ellen even MORE of a bitch than one who is not

Which I did consider. Ellen's damned either way--an Asian Ellen becomes more sympathetic as she's fearing that she's just a replacement for Kim, but yes, it does make her not wanting Tam around seem incredibly cruel and irrational.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Which I did consider. Ellen's damned either way--an Asian Ellen becomes more sympathetic as she's fearing that she's just a replacement for Kim, but yes, it does make her not wanting Tam around seem incredibly cruel and irrational.

I'm looking at it from a Boomer (i.e. people from my parents' generation) perspective, especially one who might come from a more traditional background.  My son is donor conceived and my parents have actually told me not to tell him his origins!  Ellen's parents (if an Asian Ellen isn't adopted by (white) Americans herself (i.e. a Korean War orphan)) might have major issues with it, and will see their daughter as a stepmom/not "real" mom.  After my son was born, my parents kept on referring to the egg donor as his "real" mom.  Errr...no.  I'm the "real" mom.  The egg donor is the egg donor.  My (only living) grandmother (who'd be a contemporary of Ellen's parents) does not know that my son is donor conceived.  I think she'd think the same thing if she knew (Grandma also does not know that he was carried by a surrogate).  If Ellen was adopted, then she might have weird feelings because she's...looking at herself in a way.  

ETA: can you tell I was a theatre major?  Lol

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 2

I saw a local play last week “The Play That Goes Wrong”. Utterly delightful from start to finish. It’s a play within a play and the set is a character of its own. The coordination between the actors and the set was incredible.

• Like 2

Sigh... no luck getting tickets to Days of Wine and Roses at the Atlantic. And I'm not paying full price for Adam Guettel. There is still decent availability after previews so I will wait it out.

Speaking of discounts, I got an email from City Center for Dear World today. (I already have my ticket.) All the "discount" tickets are in the balcony for the same price I already paid months ago. That's not a discount. 

White Girl in Danger is selling on Goldstar. But $70 for what are probably tickets at the very back of the theater is not worth it for me. I'll wait to see what other discounts might materialize. 

I will go for whatever rush/lottery option Here Lies Love ends up having but otherwise I'm not too fussed about the other spring/summer options. I have my tickets for a few shows and I'll go back to doing the Funny Girl lottery.

Some Like It Hot, Kimberly Akimbo, Shucked, Sweeney Todd, Parade, Dancin', Room, A Doll's House, Fat Ham, New York New York, Good Night Oscar, &Juliet, Once Upon a One More Time... nothing else has much of a pull on me, though maybe positive reviews will change my mind.

• Like 2

Jagged Little Pill was better than I thought it would be. Jade McLeod’s Jo sang the hell out of “You Oughta Know.”

Edit: Upon double checking, it might not have been Jade, but Cydney Kutcipal, because they had shorter hair. Either way, that number was the best in the whole show.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
On 2/2/2023 at 1:13 PM, aradia22 said:

Sigh... no luck getting tickets to Days of Wine and Roses at the Atlantic. And I'm not paying full price for Adam Guettel.

I want to order this.  Why would you not pay for Adam Guettel?  Do you not like his work?  I really like Light in the Piazza.

• Like 1

Saw "Come From Away" in Philly last week and freaking loved it. I was obviously familiar with the real life story but went into the show totally blind. I've already re-watched it on Apple TV. Just utterly lovely. 

I have upcoming tickets for "1776" but I'm wavering on whether I actually want to go. Reviews both here and in the press, have not been kind and I've heard it's a bit of slog. I'm debating swapping my ticket for something else. 

What would you do? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1