Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Katerina McCrimmon as Fanny Brice in the National Tour of Funny Girl 

To purchase or not to purchase? 🤔

Purchase! I saw the she earlier this month and both the show and Katerina were fantastic!

• Like 2
On 1/29/2024 at 10:13 AM, MicheleinPhilly said:

Katerina McCrimmon as Fanny Brice in the National Tour of Funny Girl 

To purchase or not to purchase? 🤔

I’m seeing it on Sunday, I heard she’s good. And better her than Lea Michele, just sayin’. 😂

I have tickets to see Tyne Daly and Liev Schreiber in Doubt in April...except now Tyne Daly is out of the show.  Amy Ryan is replacing her.  Do I still see it, or get a refund?

Just got back from Funny Girl national tour, and SCREW Lea Michelle, Katerina McCrimmon was fantastic. Her voice was perfect as was her comedic timing. 

I have to say I bristled at the part where Fanny’s own mom basically told her she shouldn’t have “unmanned” him by basically financially supporting him. Like, excuse me? Sure, she was dumb to ignore everyone’s warnings about Nick, but apparently the greater sin was being the lone breadwinner of the family? Ugh.

My mom thought the show should have ended with “My Man” like in the movie, but I like that they ended it on a more upbeat number where she knows she’s got to pick herself up and be on with her life. Still, I never have seen the whole movie so I think I will have watch it sometime.

• Like 2
On 2/6/2024 at 11:07 PM, ebk57 said:

I have tickets to see Tyne Daly and Liev Schreiber in Doubt in April...except now Tyne Daly is out of the show.  Amy Ryan is replacing her.  Do I still see it, or get a refund?

Having Amy Ryan in the cast is never a good reason NOT to watch something...

8 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

Having Amy Ryan in the cast is never a good reason NOT to watch something...

I don't really know her work, but my friend who's going with us really wants to see the play, so we are keeping the tickets and seeing the play.  I do love Liev, but I was really looking forward to Tyne.  I'm sure it will still be worthwhile.  

We also have tickets to Uncle Vanya with a whole bunch of really great stage actors and Steve Carrell (I'm sure he'll be lovely).  The real reason we're going during high-hotel-price season is to see the new Paula Vogel play with Jessica Lange.  Quite looking forward to that!

• Like 1

So my theater (Wharton Center) is going to announce the next season soon. They’ve been dropping hints with blurred photos; the two clue photos posted so far seem to point in the direction of Les Miserables and Life of Pi. We only just had Les Miserables in 2019 but whatever.

I usually look to what’s coming to Detroit since we usually get some of their shows and vice versa and the shows coming up for them are Beautiful Noise, The Wiz, Some Like It Hot, Kimberly Akimbo, Parade, and MJ. I’d love to get Beautiful Noise and Parade, but I wouldn’t hate The Wiz. 

I really REALLY want Back to the Future.

• Like 1

Got the Broadway at the National email today.  I may see Kimberly Akimbo and possibly Shucked (again-really liked it when we saw it last year).  

And then again, I may just stay home.  We'll see. 

I've been enjoying the Broadway Center Stage series at the Kennedy Center.  Not sure what's up for next season, although I guess it's still early for that since we still have 2 more shows from this season to see. 

• Like 1

To anyone on this thread who has seen Moulin Rouge: So I’m getting all revved up to see the tour in April. I’m aware of the changes it makes from the movie—which I still love—especially the infamous “I paid my whore” climax of the movie. I know that part was bad, but am I the only one that thinks that what the stage version does is a million times worse? I mean, I read what happens and I was like, “Really?!?!”

Wharton Center announced its 2024-2025 season: Les Miserables, Shucked, MJ, Life of Pi, Chicago, Hamilton, and Book of Mormon.

I shouldn’t complain. I’ve never seen Chicago. And it’s not that I don’t enjoy Book of Mormon, Hamilton and Les Miserables, but Hamilton has already been here twice. Why couldn’t we have gotten more new stuff like Detroit?

Oh well. Guess I’ll have to wait another year for A Beautiful Noise and Back to the Future.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Wharton Center announced its 2024-2025 season: Les Miserables, Shucked, MJ, Life of Pi, Chicago, Hamilton, and Book of Mormon.

I shouldn’t complain. I’ve never seen Chicago. And it’s not that I don’t enjoy Book of Mormon, Hamilton and Les Miserables, but Hamilton has already been here twice. Why couldn’t we have gotten more new stuff like Detroit?

Oh well. Guess I’ll have to wait another year for A Beautiful Noise and Back to the Future.

Chicago is fabulous!!  I really enjoyed Shucked - hope you do, too!  As for the others, I've seen them all (except Life of Pi which I have no interest in) and love them and could watch them over and over again - and did since they were all at my theatre at one time or another.  I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to see from that list. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Chicago is fabulous!!  I really enjoyed Shucked - hope you do, too!  As for the others, I've seen them all (except Life of Pi which I have no interest in) and love them and could watch them over and over again - and did since they were all at my theatre at one time or another.  I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to see from that list. 

Oh we’re season subscribers so we have to see them all lol. But like I said, I can’t complain. Even the shows that I’ve already seen are good shows. At least it’s not the trashfire that was Love Never Dies *shudder*

Did you see Moulin Rouge? Like I said before, I’m seeing it next month, and after reading about the changes they made to the climax from the movie, I have…thoughts.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Did you see Moulin Rouge?

I have not seen it.  It's another show that doesn't really peak my interest.  If someone gave me free tickets, I'd think about it, but there are other shows I'm more interested in. 

I'm looking forward to your thoughts about it. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, choclatechip45 said:

I saw Spamalot this afternoon. I thought it was okay. Ethan Slater's physical comedy was great and I enjoyed Jonathan Bennett. 

This is a show that I enjoy a great deal while I'm watching it and immediately forget it when I walk out of the theatre.

• Like 2
On 3/10/2024 at 8:53 PM, choclatechip45 said:

I saw Spamalot this afternoon. I thought it was okay. Ethan Slater's physical comedy was great and I enjoyed Jonathan Bennett. 

On 3/10/2024 at 10:51 PM, ebk57 said:

This is a show that I enjoy a great deal while I'm watching it and immediately forget it when I walk out of the theatre.

I saw Spamalot years ago and I thought it was hilarious. And I’m not even a Monty Python fan, though I am fond of Eric Idle.

• Like 2

There are just too many shows this season. Based on the music that's been released so far and the critical consensus for shows that have premiered, here's where things stand for me right now

Shows I'm definitely going to try to see

• Lempicka: I'm interested in the subject matter. The leads are strong. The music sounds the most like a proper theater score and not a folksy take on pop music. 
  • Suffs: Interesting subject matter and a stacked ensemble cast. I'm not always into Shaina Taub's style and I don't love the songs I've heard but I will try to go in optimistic.

Shows I will try to see:

• The Notebook: A strong maybe. I've been following Ingrid's music from the beginning of her career and I do enjoy a sweeping romantic show. The reviews and quoted lyrics are rough but if I have time, I will see this.
  • The Who's Tommy: Anyone I know in this cast can sing their faces off. The show doesn't interest me at all but I might go and treat it like a concert.
  • Hell's Kitchen: Of the shows by people who aren't trained musical theater composers, this one actually sounds the most interesting to me. Like, the actual sound of it. In this case, being a jukebox musical might help because the amateur songs written for the stage are so weak while at least some of these were trying to be big pop hits. 
  • The Great Gatsby: That music video sold me. I don't think it's going to be Gatsby but I'll treat it like another Paradise Square... and hopefully the show will be less convoluted this time since they have source material to work off of.
  • The Wiz: I just want to be able to see it on stage for the first time.

Shows I could skip without feeling too bad about:

• Everyone says Paul Nolan is good and the show is bad. I don't know if I have time for another Doctor Zhivago. I'd definitely go in a weaker season but I have to think about scheduling and budget.
  • Stereophonic: I feel like if I was going to see this, it should have been off-Broadway. 
  • The Outsiders: Zero interest in the subject or the songs I've heard
  • Forbidden Broadway: I always have mixed thoughts. Maybe if it papers or is on TDF. 

Re The Notebook:  I heard the rain scene is SOMETHING (though I worry that if I see it, I'd be disappointed...they seem to make it sound like it rivals the chandelier in Phantom or the helicopter in Miss Saigon)...

Ensemble Arts Philly just announced the 2024-2025 schedule:

Hamilton, A Beautiful Noise, MJ The Musical, & Juliet, Some Like it Hot, The Wiz, Life of Pi, Les Miserables, The Book of Mormon, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Come From Away, Riverdance. 

Bolded choices are what I am leaning towards (I've seen Hamilton twice and Come From Away; I've also seen Book of Mormon but that was ages ago.) 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, PRgal said:

Re The Notebook:  I heard the rain scene is SOMETHING (though I worry that if I see it, I'd be disappointed...they seem to make it sound like it rivals the chandelier in Phantom or the helicopter in Miss Saigon)...

Seriously? From what I saw it was just a hologram screen.

20 hours ago, aradia22 said:

The Great Gatsby: That music video sold me. I don't think it's going to be Gatsby but I'll treat it like another Paradise Square... and hopefully the show will be less convoluted this time since they have source material to work off of

I’m intrigued, but I really hope they don’t soften Daisy too much. The story being in public domain has resulted in a several of retellings trying to redeem her character while making him look like Joe Goldberg.

It played in my town last year and I loved it. During the curtain call, the stage crew came out for their accolades. Well deserved as everything hinged on them!

• Like 2

I saw Moulin Rouge! on tour today. It’s definitely a show that needs to be seen on stage: bright, colorful, loud, and sparkly. The sets alone were freaking gorgeous.

They sure crammed a lot of songs into the show. Not even the movie did that much. And while some mash-ups worked (like “Shut Up And Raise Your Glass” and putting “Single Ladies” into the big Sparkling Diamond number) worked, others…were a choice. “Firework” is a poor replacement for “One Day I’ll Fly Away.”

As someone that loves the movie, I was mostly okay with the changes. Giving Satine more agency and making Zidler more sympathetic worked. But the one thing I hated with a passion was having Christian

Spoiler

Attempt to kill himself and maybe Satine in the show before the big Come What May reprise. WTAF?! That’s a red flag.

In fact Christian came off as dumb and pushy in the second act of this version. Don't get me wrong, Christian Douglas was great and he brought the house down in the eargasm that’s “Roxanne”, but still. Gabrielle McClinton rocked as Satine and Amar Atkins was a fabulous Zidler. And I did love how the cast did the can-can for the curtain call.

• Like 1

My mom, aunt and I have started a tradition where we try to get to see a play together at least once a year. This year it's The Wiz at the Marquis theater. I'm so excited! I'm one of the few people that doesn't hate the 1978 movie, so looking forward to this revival.

• Like 5

Quick reviews of the shows I saw a couple of weeks ago:

Uncle Vanya - I didn't hate it.  I have no background in Chekov (oddly enough since I have a degree in theatre), so I don't know the play at all.  I thought Alison Pill was the standout.  Mia Katigbak was also very good.  Steve Carell, in his Broadway debut, was good, as was the rest of the cast...other than Anika Noni Rose.  She was just strange.  The stagecraft was great.  We saw the 2nd preview, so I think the stagehands were still figuring out how quickly they had to do the intermission thing.  Glad I went.  Don't know if I'd see it again. 

Doubt - an incredible play.  I went from "so sure of this" to "well, maybe I'm wrong" to "I'm almost sure".  The cast was brilliant.  I'm still sorry that Tyne Daly had to drop out.  I still have no idea who Amy Ryan is, but she's great.  And I love Liev Schreiber.  There was a Q&A after the show that day.  Liev is really funny.  He was on a couple of the late night shows the following week.  So personable.  I'd definitely see this again. 

Mother Play - the new Paula Vogel play.  I loved it.  The cast is soooo great.  I read some takes on the Broadway board saying the play breaks no new ground, but I don't think every play needs to do that if it connects emotionally and has well-drawn characters, which IMO this play does. I do think it may have helped that Vogel grew up where I did and went to the schools I did and dropped so many local references and school names that my BFF since junior high school and I were constantly elbowing each other and trying not to make noise.  I felt kinda sorry for Mr. ebk since he did not go to the same schools and felt left out.  One the way out, Vogel was sitting in the back row of the orchestra so we stopped to chat and reminisce about our high school drama teacher.  It was lovely.  

We also ate a lot of good food, but that's for another thread.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Quick reviews of the shows I saw a couple of weeks ago:

Uncle Vanya - I didn't hate it.  I have no background in Chekov (oddly enough since I have a degree in theatre), so I don't know the play at all.  I thought Alison Pill was the standout.  Mia Katigbak was also very good.  Steve Carell, in his Broadway debut, was good, as was the rest of the cast...other than Anika Noni Rose.  She was just strange.  The stagecraft was great.  We saw the 2nd preview, so I think the stagehands were still figuring out how quickly they had to do the intermission thing.  Glad I went.  Don't know if I'd see it again. 

Mia Katigbak!  I went to college with her!  We were good friends for the first couple of years but we drifted apart.  She was a music major.  Those of us with last names beginning in K were put together during freshman orientation. 

• Love 2