Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

Just now, Spartan Girl said:

The movie isn’t going to come out for decades because the director apparently wants to film the cast aging naturally rather than just using makeup.

I'm telling you, Linklater has gone mad with power since Boyhood. FFS, man, what if you or one of the cast members die in the process of making the damn thing??! 

• Like 2
  • Fire 4
  • Applause 2
On 3/25/2023 at 8:03 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

Every time Merrily comes up I am surprised to hear that it was a flop because I have convinced myself that I have seen a filmed version, and after some digging it turns out that the number Opening Doors in Six by Sondheim made an outsize impression on me. I also watched The Best Worst Thing that Ever Could Have Happened not that long ago and I don't know why I haven't got it through my thick head yet that that is Merrily. 

Maybe you saw the filmed version of the Menier Chocolate Factory production about 10 years ago?  I saw it in a movie theater and...the show still didn't work.  

Maria Friedman directed that version, and she has directed the version opening on Broadway, so I'm not expecting this one to work either.  But the cast and the score will get me through it. 

Also, The Best Worst Thing That Ever Could Have Happened is wonderful and sad. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Maybe you saw the filmed version of the Menier Chocolate Factory production about 10 years ago?  I saw it in a movie theater and...the show still didn't work.  

I am pretty confident that is not the case because the conviction always starts with a dim memory of Darren Criss and America Ferrera and doesn't involve reverse chronology.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I'm telling you, Linklater has gone mad with power since Boyhood. FFS, man, what if you or one of the cast members die in the process of making the damn thing??! 

I mean it’s an ambitious idea in theory but it seems like overkill. Makeup and acting is good enough for the stage (and other movies), just saying…

• Like 4
On 3/24/2023 at 8:15 PM, ebk57 said:

Got tickets to Merrily in January!  I'm so excited that I keep forgetting I'll be making a trip to NYC in August.  I guess I should plan that one first. 

I got my tickets for November and I'm so psyched!

• Applause 4
(edited)

One of the benefits and drawbacks of seeing The Phantom Of The Opera as many times as possible before it closes is that the more often you attend, the more likely it is that you'll catch an error. There was a HUGE one at the performance I saw tonight. Meg comes into the  Phantom's lair at the end, pulls back the cape. . .
And there was NO MASK.
The actress just had to sit there stunned without lifting it up for the final effect.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Mind Blown 4
11 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

One of the benefits and drawbacks of seeing The Phantom Of The Opera as many times as possible before it closes is that the more often you attend, the more likely it is that you'll catch an error. There was a HUGE one at the performance I saw tonight. Meg comes into the  Phantom's lair at the, pulls back the cape. . .
And there was NO MASK.
The actress just had to sit there stunned without lifting it up for the final effect.

Whoa! Has that ever happened before???

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Whoa! Has that ever happened before???

Not for me in the 23 previous times that I've seen it. I can't speak to the skillion other times it's been performed.

I've often wondered how the actress would play it if the mask wasn't there and last night, I found out! 😄

That's the danger of theater. Because it's live, the actors have to be damned good at ad-libbing. At a performance I went to in February, the actress playing Christine tripped and fell during a scene, but luckily, she played it off as a natural result of the chaos. But then later in the show, the gun didn't fire, so instead of Raoul yelling at the guy for shooting recklessly, instead, he yelled at him for NOT shooting.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Not for me in the 23 previous times that I've seen it. I can't speak to the skillion other times it's been performed.

I've often wondered how the actress would play it if the mask wasn't there and last night, I found out! 😄

That's the danger of theater. Because it's live, the actors have to be damned good at ad-libbing. At a performance I went to in February, the actress playing Christine tripped and fell during a scene, but luckily, she played it off as a natural result of the chaos. But then later in the show, the gun didn't fire, so instead of Raoul yelling at the guy for shooting recklessly, instead, he yelled at him for NOT shooting.

As someone who has participated in community theater, I agree 100%. I was lucky, but I had fellow actors wriggle their way out of either their own mistakes or someone else's. I watched a production of the ballet Don Quixote, and a dancer (it may have been the lead) fell on her butt during the curtain call. She immediately got up, and gracefully proceeded as if nothing happened. That's the name of the game in live theater. 

George Balanchine reportedly loved it when dancers fell onstage, because it meant they weren't holding back. 

• Like 3

The Broadway 2023-24 lineup for Wharton Center has been announced: To Kill A Mockingbird, Hairspray, Mamma Mia, Funny Girl, Moulin Rouge and Six!!!!! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

So happy we’re getting the last two! Mamma Mia I’ve seen but that was years ago, so who cares? All in all, a fantastic lineup!

• Like 4

I saw the touring production of Six last week and REALLY enjoyed it. It was a ton of fun and I found the production and music really catchy and clever. 

My only quibble was with some fellow audience members who brought 4 young children who could NOT sit still for the show despite it only being 80 minutes long. But I'm also guessing young children aren't exactly the target audience for a musical about the wives of Henry VIII despite how poppy the music is. 😒

• Like 2

I already got the soundtrack for my birthday.

"Divorced. Beheaded. Died. Divorced. Beheaded. Survived."

The only thing that annoys me about that rhyme is that Anna of Cleves really is the one that fared the best out of all the ex-wives. Katherine Parr may have survived, but her "true love" turned out to be a gold-digging douchebag that perved on her stepdaughter, and she died giving birth to his child.

I don't suppose they bring up that little detail in the show?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

We played Broadway Roulette and saw Kimberly Akimbo when we were in New York a few weeks ago.  It was terrific!  Bonnie Milligan is a powerhouse, and Victoria Clark is a witch - not only did she make me feel like she was a teenager, she made me feel like I was a teenager again.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

You’re supposed to go to the show to hear THEM sing! If you don’t want to listen to them, go to a singalong.

Just read an article about how this has "sparked a debate about theatre going etiquette".  My mind is boggling that there even needs to be a debate about this.

• Like 11
11 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Just read an article about how this has "sparked a debate about theatre going etiquette".  My mind is boggling that there even needs to be a debate about this.

It's like people who won't shut the fuck up in movie theaters. Hey, assholes, I didn't pay to hear a bunch of losers like you inanely nattering on, so kindly shut your noisemakers! 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
Eh, maybe a bit too mean.
  • Like 7

I've been to a movie theater maybe twice in the last dozen years precisely for that reason. And my most recent visit did not inspire me to take up the habit again. Sigh...

Our cultural campus just announced the 2023-2024 season and sadly, I'm disappointed. On the 1 hand, it will represent a HUGE cost saving as I'm a subscriber, but I'm not terribly inspired by the shows. 

Wicked, Company, Ain't Too Proud, Mrs. Doubtfire, Girl From the North Country, Frozen, Funny Girl, Mean Girls, Cirque Dreams Holidaze, Hadestown, Message in a Bottle, and Mamma Mia!

Meh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Wicked, Company, Ain't Too Proud, Mrs. Doubtfire, Girl From the North Country, Frozen, Funny Girl, Mean Girls, Cirque Dreams Holidaze, Hadestown, Message in a Bottle, and Mamma Mia!

Hadestown and Ain’t Too Proud are really good. Just saying…

So I realize it’s been a while since the musical The Wedding Singer closed, but I’ve been watching clips of “It’s Your Wedding Day” repeatedly, and I keep thinking it would be kind of cool if Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore did their own version of that number, just for a goof. Or am I just crazy?

2 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I recommend Company, Girl From the North Country and Hadestown if you want to see a few shows, but skip the entire season subscription. 

• Like 2

I just saw Jagged Little Pill, it was an invite from a friend. I know who Alanis Morrisset is obviously, but only know her most popular songs. I have to say I really enjoyed the show. It handled heavy topics with realism but wasn’t depressing. You were rooting for the characters to have a happy ending. Sometimes it’s hard to watch musicals set in “our world” that deal with trauma (Dear Evan Hansen comes to mind- just makes me so sad). But I enjoyed this one.

Each song fit well, I enjoyed the set design style and the performers were fantastic. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Phantom’s last show is Sunday. I hope somebody records the final “It’s over now, the music of the night…”

If they do, it will probably be only audio, not video, as the ushers have gotten VERY vigilant about walking around to make sure no one's recording.

I was there tonight for the charity performance, for the 26th and final time.

It was glorious, as always. The audience clapped and cheered for EVERYTHING and you could tell the cast was really giving it their all.

I've never cried so much at the ending.

The best part was the curtain call, where they brought out the milestone Christine's from the 25th and 30th anniversary performances, as well as the original Christine, Sarah Brightman. 

They were all profiled in this Washington Post article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/theater-dance/interactive/2023/phantom-of-opera-christine-broadway/

• Like 5

Is anyone going to Atlanta to see this?

https://playbill.com/article/tituss-burgess-the-preachers-wife-musical-to-make-world-premiere-at-atlantas-alliance

The world premiere of The Preacher's Wife, the new musical penned by Tituss Burgess and Azie Dungey, will be part of the Alliance Theatre's 2023-2024 season in Atlanta, Georgia.

Based on Robert Nathan's novel The Bishop's Wife and the films The Bishop’s Wife and The Preacher’s Wife, performances are scheduled for May 11-June 9, 2024, on The Coca-Cola Stage. Featuring a book by stage and screen star Burgess (The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Guys and Dolls, The Little Mermaid) and Dungey (Harlem) and a score by Burgess, the musical is set in Harlem and follows Preacher Henry and his wife Julia, who struggle to keep their congregation going. When all seems lost, Henry asks God for help and receives it in the form of an angel. Casting and additional creative team members will be announced at a later time.

it's hard to believe that phantom is really closing. as a theater kid in the 90s it meant a lot to me and was one of the first broadway show i saw.

the chicago revival is now the longest running show on broadway.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

From what I read about the final performance, when the Phantom did his “Christine, I love you”, Emile whispered “I love you too.”

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

If you go to YouTube and look up "Phantom Comparison", you will find a skillion versions of many noteworthy scenes, and that one in particular gets the most interpretations. The ones where Christine tries to offer some measure of reciprocation for the Phantom's feelings, or expresses remorse that she can't, are my favorite.

And then there's this one, which many Phans absolutely love. You'll see why at 9:47:

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Like 1
On 4/17/2023 at 11:20 AM, Dr.OO7 said:

If you go to YouTube and look up "Phantom Comparison", you will find a skillion versions of many noteworthy scenes, and that one in particular gets the most interpretations. The ones where Christine tries to offer some measure of reciprocation for the Phantom's feelings, or expresses remorse that she can't, are my favorite.

And then there's this one, which many Phans absolutely love. You'll see why at 9:47:

That one was very good. I did look up the comparisons, and there was another good one where she kissed his hand before leaving. I definitely prefer the versions where he silently watches her go instead of screams after her. Dude, don’t ruin the impact of your only good deed in the whole show (also applies to LND).

I still need to see the final one. I keep waiting in vain for someone to post it despite them cracking down on bootlegging. Hell, I wish the producers had done it themselves: if they can post the final chandelier crash, they can certainly give us that final moment!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1

This in an interview with two Playbill writers lucky enough to garner invitations to the final performance of Phantom Of The Opera, describing what it was like--the audience applauded EVERY character's entrance and even the appearance of iconic props like the music box and the Christine mannequin, and gave Emilie Kouatchou a standing ovation in the middle of the performance after her rendition of "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" (well deserved. She absolutely blew the lid off it everytime I saw her)

Laird Mackintosh turned and looked at the audience just before the Phantom's disappearance. 😢

https://playbill.com/article/reflections-on-the-final-phantom-of-the-opera-performance

• Love 1

I have never seen Phantom.  It's not my cup of tea.  But I just listened to a very interesting episode of This American Life, where they interviewed many of the pit musicians, some of whom have played in the show for 35 years.  Highly recommended.  Also a New York Times article on same subject.  https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/09/nyregion/phantom-opera-orchestra.html

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Interesting... she doesn't look anything like Imelda. Also, while she's not going to be a big draw, they definitely opted for someone with experience over a complete unknown. Of course, with Jose and Conrad, it was doubtful they were going to cast an actress right out of college.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrQYlXUPsrQ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

Arielle Jacobs will lead Here Lies Love on Broadway in the role of former Filipina First Lady Imelda Marcos. Previews begin June 17 at the Broadway Theatre.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Arielle-Jacobs-Will-Lead-the-Cast-of-HERE-LIES-LOVE-on-Broadway-20230420

Edited by aradia22
  • Like 1
On 4/11/2023 at 10:11 AM, Spartan Girl said:

You’re supposed to go to the show to hear THEM sing! If you don’t want to listen to them, go to a singalong.

I received a startling insight into this issue the other day, so startling and bizarre that I'm still processing it.  I went to the Museum of Broadway, where I encountered an employee who was a stereotypical THEATER KID, perhaps 22-24 years old.   We had a pleasant chat about shows we had seen recently, shows we were planning to see (they were also distressed I did not share their excitement at the Tonys host, as they ran around telling everyone they could find.  Hey, I didn't offer my opinion until you asked, TK).  I mentioned paying a lot of money to see a particular show and hoping the audience would behave, and asked if they had heard about The Bodyguard incident.  The conversation:

TK:  "I feel like people are too uptight.  We want to fully engage in the show. Some shows are even doing singalongs" 

Me:  "Yes, that's great, for people who want to attend that and so people know that's what they are purchasing. Most people don't want that,  they want to hear the professionals sing."

TK:  "Well, then maybe they should go to plays."

So we're the problem, guys. It's us. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 7
  • Sad 1

Well, if the cast INVITES the audience to sing along, that’s a completely different story.

Which was what happened at the touring production of Tina I saw today. Naomi Rogers was fantastic. No wonder they have to switch actresses with each performance, belting that much must be pretty taxing. And I’ve seen What’s Love Got to With It a bunch of times, so I was blown away by the stuff that wasn’t in the movie. I’ve got Tina’s book on hold at the library so I’m even more eager to read it now.

I remember when Ike died years back, there was some people that bemoaned how “tragic” it was that all his musical accomplishments would be overshadowed by the fact he was the asshole that beat Tina. Well, I don’t think it’s tragic. Know why? BECAUSE he was the asshole that beat Tina!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 6

Ahhhh!!!! Pro-shot confirmed!

https://tribecafilm.com/films/waitress-the-musical-live-on-broadway-2023

https://playbill.com/article/waitress-live-stage-film-starring-sara-bareilles-will-play-2023-tribeca-film-festival

One of Broadway's worst-kept secrets is finally official—there is a live filming of Waitress, captured during the musical's 2021 Broadway return with composer-lyricist Sara Bareilles leading the cast as Jenna. The film will make its world premiere as an official selection of the 2023 Tribeca Film Festival [...] Bareilles is joined by the musical's complete encore run cast, including Christopher Fitzgerald in his Tony-nominated performance as Ogie, Drew Gehling as Dr. Pomatter, Charity Angél Dawson as Becky, Caitlin Houlahan as Dawn, Eric Anderson as Cal, Dakin Matthews as Joe, and Joe Tippett as Earl. The Broadway encore company was rounded out by Tyrone Davis, Jr., Matt DeAngelis, Andrew Fitch, Henry Gottfried, Molly Jobe, Emily Koch, Max Kumangai, Anastacia McCleskey, Gerianne Pérez, Stephanie Torns, and Nyla Watson.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I can't find the link to post, unfortunately, but Phantom Of The Opera's Japan production also celebrated 35 years on 4/29.

And Bob Fosse's "Dancin' is going to close on 5/14

(edited)
On 4/18/2023 at 11:00 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I still need to see the final one. I keep waiting in vain for someone to post it despite them cracking down on bootlegging. Hell, I wish the producers had done it themselves: if they can post the final chandelier crash, they can certainly give us that final moment!

Cast members keep posting clips on Instagram, so you can search there. Someone posted a wonderful one of the Phantom's disappearance--the actor gazed at the audience for what felt like an eternity before drawing the cloak around himself.

I miscounted. I actually saw it 27 times, not 26.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Like 2

I still think the plot sounds awful but this actually kind of goes hard? Given that it's Britney music I don't mind the 90's influence (very NSYNC) on the choreography. 

I'm still deciding if I want to see anything else from this season. I already know I have to spend some money on Here Lies Love. 

• Like 3
(edited)

Saw Wicked today: my second time in 16 years. I don’t care if it is responsible for all the damn villain apologia in movies today, I still love this show. Yes, @Wiendish Fitchthe Witch is more fun when she’s evil, but compared to other versions, Elphaba is still pretty awesome.

But if I may get something off my chest: I hate Boq. Not only was he so blindly stupid when Glinda made it pretty clear she wasn’t interested in him, but I can’t bring myself to feel sorry for him where Nessa is concerned. Not condoning anything Nessa did, but to be fair, she gave him an out at the dance, correctly calling him out that he only asked her out of pity (and because Glinda put him up to it), and instead of manning up and being honest, he doubled down and kept stringing her along. The Tin Man deserved a better back story, dammit!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

How Hamiliton the Musical Rescued a Book Shop

It’s lovely to see the young people who were positively impacted by the shop end up being the ones to save it after they’ve become a success.  I have a lot of respect for Lin and Thomas.

• Love 5
(edited)

https://playbill.com/article/2023-tony-awards-to-feature-performances-from-joaquina-kalukango-broadways-funny-girl-and-a-beautiful-noise-more

Why do they insist on making it so confusing? This is how you get MORE people to just watch the clips.

The Tony Awards will be given out in a starry ceremony at Washington Heights' United Palace Theatre June 11. The Tony Awards: Act One, a 90-minute pre-show of live and exclusive content hosted by Julianne Hough and Skylar Astin, will stream on Pluto TV's Celebrity channel beginning at 6:30 PM ET. The main awards ceremony will follow at 8 PM ET, hosted by West Side Story Oscar winner Ariana DeBose. The awards portion will broadcast live on CBS, and stream live (for premium-level subscribers) via Paramount+. 

The Tonys confirmed June 8 that this year's broadcast will include performances from all the Best Musical and Best Revival of a Musical nominees—including Camelot; Into the Woods; & Juliet; Kimberly Akimbo; New York, New York; Parade; Shucked; Some Like It Hot; and Sweeney Todd. Also on the performance roster are numbers from 2022 Best Leading Actress in a Musical winner Joaquina Kalukango (Paradise Square) and a special performance honoring 2023 Lifetime Achievement Tony Award honorees Joel Grey and John Kander.

Edited by aradia22
On 3/16/2023 at 11:53 AM, Browncoat said:

What's the word on the street about Sweeney Todd with Josh Groban?  I love the show, but would have to take an 8-hour train trip (each way!) to NYC to see it.  Worth it or nah?

Late to the party here but I saw Groban and AA in Sweeney and...it's a mixed bag. The choreography is stupid as hell for the chorus - I was forewarned that they looked like they were vogue-ing and that's sadly accurate - and the set is meh. They seem to put more effort into Act Two, but the bridge being used for everything just doesn't work.

Groban sings very well - no surprise there - but he isn't scary. He's morose and tugs a bit at the heartstrings, but not more than that. AA is hamming it up too much for my liking, but does deliver the scary in a way that really works, so overall, I did enjoy myself, but mostly for the score, the decent (not more than that) staging and the voices.

It's not a brilliant production of Sweeney though. I'm curious to see if someone better replaces Groban and brings the scary he lacks. The set and choreo, sadly, won't be improved.

Do not go for rush tickets, if they even have them. There will be a horde of people waiting in line, and the seats are (were) at the very very very back of the house, which makes it so far away you might as well be watching a bootleg on your laptop on the end of your bed, you know what I mean?

If you love Sweeney and have the cash for a ticket somewhere in the middle, then do it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1